Notices

Class of February 2013 - part 5

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Hi Mvngon, I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and although it couldn’t of been avoided, legally I was at fault because I hit the car in front of me when he slammed his brakes on due to another driver cutting him off. Big time stress, I agree! What a relief to not have the immediate drink to cope response! To me, that was amazing in itself. I’m glad you are okay. I had a headache for a few days, and general aches in the neck and back to this day. I need to get in to the chiropractor for an adjustment as I am long overdue and I’m sure the jolt didn’t help with alignment issues.

You are right in recognizing that the situation could have been so much worse if alcohol was in the equation. We are both fortunate to have taken the necessary steps to get our lives under control, and to be a part of this group.

Try to take it easy the rest of the day and know that these things do happen. It does seem kind of strange to me that our little group seems to have been really tested a lot lately. But we are still here and gaining strength every day!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
way to go on seven weeks - don't be too hard on yourself tho - a car accident is pretty stressful for anyone, I think.

D
Thank you for this as well! I am so glad to have found SR. It has been a huge part of my recovery. I never thought an online community would be of interest to me (I'm pretty technically challenged!), but SR has been my lifeline. Thank you for the time you give to all of us. You have probably helped to save many souls.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Hi Mvngon, I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and although it couldn’t of been avoided, legally I was at fault because I hit the car in front of me when he slammed his brakes on due to another driver cutting him off. Big time stress, I agree! What a relief to not have the immediate drink to cope response! To me, that was amazing in itself. I’m glad you are okay. I had a headache for a few days, and general aches in the neck and back to this day. I need to get in to the chiropractor for an adjustment as I am long overdue and I’m sure the jolt didn’t help with alignment issues.

You are right in recognizing that the situation could have been so much worse if alcohol was in the equation. We are both fortunate to have taken the necessary steps to get our lives under control, and to be a part of this group.

Try to take it easy the rest of the day and know that these things do happen. It does seem kind of strange to me that our little group seems to have been really tested a lot lately. But we are still here and gaining strength every day!
Hi Odelle,

I am so sorry that you too were in an accident. I'm so sorry to hear that you are still having discomfort. I hope that you can get to the chiropractor soon and get some relief.

It sounds like we were both very lucky in more ways than one! I can't even imagine the horror I would have felt had my mind not been completely clear and sober when the accident happened. I know that a part of me would have blamed myself, even if it were only for bad karma. And you are right, what a relief to not desire a drink after a bad event. I do wish that my nerves would settle though, but I agree with you and Dee, that this is probably normal. It's part of life, and we have to learn to get through the times that try us.

Thanks for your support Odelle. Our little group does seem to be being tested. These things will make us all stronger in the end. Figuring our way through them is challenge.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hi Mvngon, You are lucky to have only been in one accident, I had to stop and count, total of six for me. The joys of living in a large metropolitan city! Aside from this last one, I was in a similar one more than 20 years ago, the others I was not at fault. The one that scared the heck out of me was 8 years ago. I had my son and his friend in the car, making a left with the signal at a large intersection when I saw the car approaching from the left was not slowing. I slammed on my brakes and took a front end impact that totaled my car. Had my stop been a split second later, it would have been a side impact collision and would have probably ended up with injuries. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Yes, I really felt my guardian angel was looking out for me then, as on many other occasions.

Grab a cup of chamomile tea, take a long bath and in the morning everything will look much better!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Thanks again for the warm welcome back everyone. I haven't posted much but I'm doing very well. Going to my meetings, praying, meditating, acts of kindness - etc. Just finished a book that I highly recommend if you haven't read it before. Who stole my cheese. It's about change. It's a fun read and not very long. Well worth reading.

NOUBLEDEGATIVE - I don't remember meeting you - nice to meet you.

MVNGON - So glad you were sober and that your ok.

ODELLE - I love to see that your so consistent and post almost everyday. Love seeing that beautiful cat everyday. It gives me a warm calm loving feeling, just like your posts.

MELISSA - Where you said "if you won't let them in, how can they love you" made me realize that it really is my own fault when people don't talk to me. That really gave me something to think about - Thanks. Oh BTW - I was one of THOSE kids too! Sounds like most of us were.

I think about you all everyday. You have pulled me through some painful times. I love you all.

Going to get some beauty sleep now.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -

I can't remember if I posted yet or not - I know that I atleast started too and may have gotten sidetracked. Got back from my California trip a few days ago - wonderful time.

Fantail, Odelle, Melissa, 1step & others - I'm right with you in the quiet category - wonderful to be among like company.

soberremmie - congrats on 60!

RoadTrip was a recent highpoint. Coming back into work has been an emotional crashing point - I have my first serious craving to drink last night and had to just 'white knuckle' it of sorts for a few minutes - I just 'didn't care' for a split second - but I recognized that as part of the 48 hour long emotional tornado - thank you sober clarity!

I worked from home today and just being in my comfortable environment has made all the difference & I'm back in a productive mindset.

MV & Odelle - Sorry to hear about BOTH of you have had car issues. I can empathize with immediate thankful thoughts of being sober - I was pulled over by a cop for speeding about a week after I quit. The first thing that he asked me was if I had been drinking. I was so happy with my declaration of 'no officer, i've not be drinking' that he actually let me go. I do hope your situation turns out similarly & I'm glad your both safe.

Special hello to PK, Goose, StarBaby, Venus, Pamel - I need to catch up on your latest

DoubleNeg - Sounds like you got some clarity on what the right place is for you RE: a support system. Congrats! What's the rush tho? Your mind and body are going to experience many changes in the first 90 days as you heal and you may find that discovering your sober self before you head to the city and join your support group is an incredible opportunity.

Wow, the emotional upheaval of the past few days has left me exhausted! I'm climbing into bed.

Night Night fellow febbies! Sweet dreams
Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
now's the time

MvngOn -- I'm so sorry about the crash, I would be very shaken too! I hit a deer once and it was terrible. I was sober when I hit it, but because I was drinking heavily that summer, I had a series of nightmares in which I was drunk when I hit it and then found out later it had been a person. I didn't sleep well for a week.

----

I'm also feeling a bit like I need more coping mechanisms... or maybe just that there's still a lot of growing left to do. I feel like a newborn in so many ways! Physically sensitive, emotionally sensitive. There's a friend I have who I have strong feelings for and would love to date in an ideal world, but made a decision a while back not to pursue because of differences in our goals, stage in life, etc. I learned he's begun seeing someone and I'm moody over it like a sixteen year old would be! I almost asked my friend for some pot (I haven't smoked in ages) but luckily realized that although it wouldn't be drinking, it would still be avoidance behavior, so I'm sitting through the discomfort.

I hope I have a little bit more sober time under my belt before I have anything major to deal with. My skin's so thin! That said though, it's wonderful not to be drinking into this feeling, as I guarantee that in a few hours with a few drinks I would have convinced myself that I'd passed up a chance for the best relationship that might have been. Thankfully my rational mind is still around to remind me that this is neither the time nor the person for me.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Mvngon ~ Awesome on the 7 weeks!!! And thank God you and the others involved in the accident are alright. Scary yes, but details will get sorted. Big hug to you!

So celebrations all round, because I am 60 days sober today. Wow. Feels really good.

Love Venus xx
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you made a good choice fantail
congratulations on 60 days Venuscat

D
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations Venus!! What a huge milestone!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Congratulations Venus!!

Will you do something nice for yourself tonight?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post

DoubleNeg - Sounds like you got some clarity on what the right place is for you RE: a support system. Congrats! What's the rush tho? Your mind and body are going to experience many changes in the first 90 days as you heal and you may find that discovering your sober self before you head to the city and join your support group is an incredible opportunity.

Night Night fellow febbies! Sweet dreams
is that blueberries in your avatar? i love blue berries! i have about 2 kg of frozen organic ones in my freezer that i bought locally. i put them in my smooothies.

yum

thanks for the kind words SereneEdition and everyone else

funny you should say 90 days as well, as i just last night made more concrete plans.

i will be staying in my current situation for 90 days and then a friend in the 'new' town, has indicated he would like to live with me & my daughter & 2 cats. his lease will be up in july & he wants a change! thinks it would be just dandy to live with me & co....he knows my struggles & is supportive. so i feel good about it! now i wait...save my money & feel a bit happier knowing im not stuck in this ****** town.

did a selfless act today as well. there's a job going at my work in office admin. i know my ex is keen for a little work. so I recommended her to my boss & he's getting her in for an interview tomorrow. i guess i felt like being nice after she has been nice to me...nothing weird and 'wanting her back' or anything, just genuinely wanting good things for her life & she is the mother of my child....fairly important person ay!

i apologize for being a little self absorbed in my posting of late. i read everyone's posts & really do appreciate what people share & say. i guess i just have so much going on in my head at the moment. i hope to beable to 'give back' in the way of advice at some point...i just feel like a baby sobriety person at the moment...perhaps a little 'needy'

so thank you the sober (& wanting to be sober) people of SR feb 2013 thread :-)

back to watching my TV show 'Jericho' . a 2005 TV show about a post apocalyptic american town...not too bad at all!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

47 days today! Thank you all for being here.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:03 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Congratulations TigerLili!! That's fantastic!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations TL

D
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Just reading some posts - Congrats to everyone hitting their benchmarks in Sobriety. I'm sorry to hear about your accident Mvngon and Odelle The important thing is that you are both OK. And I hope all will work out in time. Today is day 47 for me. Before I forget, Dang it PK its good to see your posts! My last post I was headed out on a business trip, when usually I would end up drunk and hungover. Well, my pre-planning worked. I seen where 1stepup and Easyrider posted about their AV's. What is it about our AV that "it" will want too justify us drinking because we deserve "it". So, I get through the evening, the ballgame, get back to my hotel and a good night sleep. Wake up, coffee, a breakfast sandwich - headed back with a slight drizzle and songs on the radio. And low and behold, my AV pops up telling me I deserve a drink because of the good I'm doing. At freaking 8 o'clock in the morning, when I'm feeling good. Unbelievable - this piece of crap. I swithched it up and told it thats right, I'm doing good and your not taking that away. Besides - I have a 5 hour drive, wife, (2) boxers and work to get back to. Seems like the AV will pop up at anytime trying to take advantage, you know...ND great to see you doing some good works. That's nice of you to get your Ex that interview. Oh...by the way, funny thing. On the way out on my trip, in my head I was going over all of your names seeing if I could remember all of you. I guess I was just trippin. Huh...Venuscat and StarBaby? Hey Dee Stay Sober everyone. TigerlilliI think you and I must have had our last drunk together.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Venus – Congratulations on 60 days!!!!

TigerLili – 48 days, kind of surreal when they start accumulating isn’t it?

Mvngonon – Hope you are feeling better today. Keep on keeping on, seven weeks already, well done!!

Goose, SereneEdition, 1stepup, Easyrider, PresciousKitty, NoubleD, Pamel, Soberemmie, Fantail, Melissa, Bunny, Wehave2day, Starbaby, ArcticSA, MSweeney, and Ub3 thanks for being here, sharing this journey! Anyone else that I may have missed, my apology, please jump in and scold me, I would love to hear from you!

Fitness1234, please jump in anytime – I did notice you joining the April class but you will always be a February member too! Never give up because it will happen for you!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Thanks ND, I'm a big fan of blueberries - they are my go to morning food to start my day & so it seemed like a good symbol to start sobriety! I rather enjoyed reading your posts and don't think they are self absorbed at all! It sounds like you're thinking through some significant life choices and we all make better choices when we reach out to get feedback, and feedback quality is better when we know more info. Glad that you're feeling better with a clear direction - it can make such a difference/

Congrats TL
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Nothing particular to report; just glad I am a part of this awesome group!!

Pamel
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for a new thread guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html

D