# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of February 2013 - part 5

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-21.html

D
Old 03-12-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

venuscat Thank you for the kind words. It's an honor to know you also. And everyone here with SR Febs'! You know one thing I could never figure out when I was drinking. And I'm almost sure this goes for everyone here. How can we be so smart and intelligent enough to know that we can't handle the alcohol. After time and time again it gives us pain, embarrassment, heartaches, hangovers and robs us of our money and esteem. I would vow to quit, yet continue to go back. This example has to be where the cunning and baffling come in. Honestly - looking back at the anxiety, which is one feeling I hated the most. I have got to say I hated the helplessness before I would go drink, 'cause I knew in my mind and gut I was going to drink myself into a stuper. Tomorrow will be 25 days I gave the insanity up. I also think that for a long, long time I kept going back because I felt "IT" was my friend. When in all truth "IT" is my enemy. Thanks everyone for helping me to Stay Sober.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Goose, you are so right! After everything that happens to us, we think after time we can go back... yesterday and today i am really having urges. No idea why. Everything is going good. I am just trying to block it out and keep busy. Thinking how crappy i will feel after a bottle of wine! I feel like the further i get away from my first days of quitting the more i get the urges.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey y'all... Quick check-in for me. Day 19 done... One more sober day! Today was a good day. Felt productive and relatively at peace.

Kudos to everyone who's quitting smoking!!!

I'm exhausted so off to wind down...

You're all in my thoughts & prayers!!!

Blessings, SB
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PAWS - Anxiety, Irritability, Fatigue and overall bad feelings

Originally Posted by Fitness1234 View Post
Goose, you are so right! After everything that happens to us, we think after time we can go back... yesterday and today i am really having urges. No idea why. Everything is going good. I am just trying to block it out and keep busy. Thinking how crappy i will feel after a bottle of wine! I feel like the further i get away from my first days of quitting the more i get the urges.
I’m sure we have all heard of PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and have probably read up on the subject. After Google searching, I found the following link which outlines the symptoms and gives some recommendations to help get through the accompanying anxiety, depression, irritability, fatigue and other side effects. Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies. When you are going through a craving or you are experiencing the “blahs,” it may be helpful to read through the information to reinforce the fact that this feeling is temporary and will subside within a few days. The better prepared we are when these symptoms appear, the easier it will be to identify them for what they are and avoid a relapse.

Chin up, it looks like we will all experience these symptoms at some time as part of alcohol withdrawal.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

38 days sober...

Just wanted to say this out loud right now, need to remind myself to be proud....not doing well today...but as goose and others here always say...every sober day is a good day.

Love to you all....

Vxx
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats venuscat - I hope the day gets better for you

D
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
38 days sober...

Just wanted to say this out loud right now, need to remind myself to be proud....not doing well today...but as goose and others here always say...every sober day is a good day.

Love to you all....

Vxx
What's happening V? Also just got your visitor message- wish they would show up on my phone app. Thank you for your kind words, love you!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Odelle for the information on PAWS ~ really really helpful!!!!

And Melissa ~ just life....my sister was diagnosed with Scleroderma, an auto immune disease, and my first cousin with a rare and nasty tumor. Sigh.

Just blessed that I can be there for them...

Love you

V xx
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for you and all your family S.

D
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 19 today. Venus- sorry to hear about your sister and cousins' diagnosis'. You've really been through it lately but the strength and courage youre facing it all with is truely inspiring for me and everyone else on this thread.

You are blessed to be there for them.- my sister was rushed to hospital last May with a blood clot on her lung. I was out drinking that night and couldnt be contacted. I was told in the morning and went to see her with my dad, i collapsed by her bedside because of the sudden alcohol withdrawl. Luckily she has made a full recovery but its a horrible reminder of the consequences of my drinking.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Venus.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Venuscat, my heart goes out to you and your sister.

To Everyone who is tying to quit smoking: do it! My Mother died at 89, after quadruple bypass surgery, which was successful. 89!!! But, what she died from was her smoking. She quit at 70 but her lungs had been damaged to the point she couldn't breathe on her own. Her mind was still so sharp...

PreciousKitty, I was going to post on the previous thread. Are you doing better today?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

...and before we lose it:

Updated list (anyone missing?):

The list on this thread:

firstweek, fantail, Estone, Precious Kitty, Liza, ShapeUp, Goose1, venuscat, Marksman, Starbaby928, Fitness1234, laana, 1stStepUp, Nonsensical, Noubledegitive, MrBeagle, Bunny44, NewLifeForMeee, and ICanDoThis2013, Bizooky, Dee, Odelle, justme2013, NewLifeForMeeee, Paddler, CrossFox, ub3, Melissa6381, Rosie199, Lavender520, MSweeney, TigerLili, JCMalta, Pamel, Tick, Easyrider, markinsf, wehav2day, soberjanedoe, Liza, bigaquagirl, Mainza, Sistahsober, MrFitz, SereneEdition, Booniecat
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
I’m sure we have all heard of PAWS (Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and have probably read up on the subject. After Google searching, I found the following link which outlines the symptoms and gives some recommendations to help get through the accompanying anxiety, depression, irritability, fatigue and other side effects. Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies. When you are going through a craving or you are experiencing the “blahs,” it may be helpful to read through the information to reinforce the fact that this feeling is temporary and will subside within a few days. The better prepared we are when these symptoms appear, the easier it will be to identify them for what they are and avoid a relapse.

Chin up, it looks like we will all experience these symptoms at some time as part of alcohol withdrawal.
Odelle Thank you for this. I have not heard of PAWS before. Yesterday I had a moment in the morning when I had 3 or 4 things going on. I could not focus on one of them. In fact I thought I was going crazy because I could not remember the other task even though a moment earlier I was thinking about it. I see one of the symptoms of PAWS is variable concentration. I must read and understand PAWS more. "DAY 25" Stay Sober my friends.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I just want to let you know that I am with you and I am living a positive, sober life. I have been quite busy and I'll be able to catch up on reading the thread and will do an update later this week. Stay strong and keep being true to yourself.

Mainza
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 36 alcohol free, 29 days caffeine free (except for the minute amounts in some of the herbal tea blends) and starting day 1 nicotine free. Why now? Well, I decided that since each of these addictions has similar withdrawal side effects, I may as well get through them now. Plus, the smoking habit is starting to affect me; lots of coughing in the morning....

Venuscat, you have a lot going on in your life right now. Be sure to find time to do something relaxing for yourself, bubble bath, meditation, lunch and show with someone, anything to take your mind away from the difficulties life sometimes throws our way.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have gone through so many ups and downs since 2/2/13 I feel like my head is spinning!
In any case my life is 100% better.
This is the best I have felt since I was...sheesh...since before regular alcohol use so...since I was 16! WOW
I have gone from 211 pounds to 199 from this lifestyle change, and I am looking forward to continuing change.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
I have gone through so many ups and downs since 2/2/13 I feel like my head is spinning!
In any case my life is 100% better.
This is the best I have felt since I was...sheesh...since before regular alcohol use so...since I was 16! WOW
I have gone from 211 pounds to 199 from this lifestyle change, and I am looking forward to continuing change.
Great post Artic, and congrats on your continued sobriety...40 days tomorrow!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great post Artic, and congrats on your continued sobriety...40 days tomorrow!
40 Days!! wowzers, I had lost track. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 36 alcohol free, 29 days caffeine free (except for the minute amounts in some of the herbal tea blends) and starting day 1 nicotine free. Why now? Well, I decided that since each of these addictions has similar withdrawal side effects, I may as well get through them now. Plus, the smoking habit is starting to affect me; lots of coughing in the morning....

Venuscat, you have a lot going on in your life right now. Be sure to find time to do something relaxing for yourself, bubble bath, meditation, lunch and show with someone, anything to take your mind away from the difficulties life sometimes throws our way.
Odelle,

Congratulations on Day 36! And cudos to you for stopping caffeine, and now nicotine as well... Awesome job!!!!!

Quite frankly, the only reason I haven't totally broken down this morning is due to your pointing out the PAWS information....it was extremely helpful!

I have woken up sick. I cannot go to work. I will lose today's money, and I will let down my new client and employer. And little Venus is still not well, and it looks like I am going to have to get her to the vet after all. So the money problems just took a turn for the worse.

I hesitated to write this; quite frankly it sounds like the ravings of a delusional person. They say that God does not give us more than we can handle, but I am almost crushed under the weight of all that is going on right now.

Almost. But not quite. I went to bed praying, and I am doing that now. But wo, this is a tad too much! Nevertheless, it is what it is, and I have to get through it.

I am sober, 39 days. I have all of you for support. I have my HP. Guess I just have to hold on, and to know that this too shall pass....

Sorry for being a mess! I have just now phoned my office and my client....and no one is angry with me; I will not lose my job...phew! So this is just life on life's terms, not mine!!

Apologies for the rant......

Love you all and wish you a great day/night,

Venus xx