Notices

Class of February 2013 - part 5

Old 03-25-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PreciousKitty View Post
Oh Arctic

My heart goes out to you. Can you get someone to watch the rugrats for a few hours so you can go do something for you? Something out of the ordinary? Go for a bike ride? Get your nails done? Meet strangers in the grocery store? Go to the library by yourself? Paint? Meditate? Then use can use your last hour to sneak in your house, or the back of the car and take a nap.

If your like me you will probably not want to. But chances are if you can get the ball rolling by the time your done doing it you will feel somewhat better and your craving will be somewhat gone. Going to any length to find a sitter for some me time is much better for the kids than you getting so worn out, and sick and tired of it all that you relapse.

That is all I can think of.

I wish I could send you some really cute loving emotions but I am on my work computer and it will crash!

Hugs for you. Hang in there!
Thank You. All of those things you listed sound WONDERFUL. But all three of my sitter are busy today! Of all the crappy days. Everyone else is doing something enjoyable. And then I call my husband out of desperation and he says he's on his last pipe(well-drilling) and so I say "oh GOOD at least its not gonna be like 3 hours then!" and he says "erm actually itll be a little over 3 hours..."

Sooooo I put my rugrats in front of Baby Einstein and went in my bedroom and screamed it out into my pillow until my throat was hoarse. And then I punched the same pillow really hard until all of my frustration was gone.

No really Im not a crazy person, but sheesh! these long WI winters are freaking long and hard.

Thanks for listening!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
now's the time

Pamel -- Yes, today is day 40!

Melissa -- Sorry you're feeling the same way. Can't wait til this stage passes!

Venus -- Aw, thank you so much for your sweet post! I don't feel very inspired or inspiring right now, but I'm holding it together more or less. Thank you for your encouraging words.

Fitness, Kitty, and 1Step -- Of course you stay in this class! Having a slip is not at all the same as starting all over again. And what would we do without you?

Arctic -- I'm sorry about your rough day. I'm having a hard enough time as a singleton, I really admire those of you who are getting through this and taking care of families at the same time. That takes a lot of strength.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Monday night 5:00. I always get antsie if I do not have something planned right after work. Even if I have decided to go home and veg in my room - At least I have a plan.

Gratefully I am getting better at not wanting to veg in my room. Lately I have been shopping, pampering myself and spending some time with my grandkids.

My problem is times like this when I just don't know what to do. I have spent quite a bit of money lately so I better cut back for a bit. I have spent lots of time with the g/kids this weekend, and really want to do something semi-relaxing.

So thinking of my options: Go home and clean my house. It really needs it but I just HATE to clean anymore. I am beginning to accept that that is ok. Of coarse there are some things that must be done but I was a maid for 20 + years and I have accepted that it is just not my thing right now. I don't think my husband is very happy about that though.

My other option is to go home and spend some quality time with my hubby. He is usually at work but happens to be home tonight. I really just don't want to do that either. I just don't feel close to him at all lately. I Know I have some issues that I need to deal with in this area. I just have no idea where to start.

I really cannot think of many other options than to go to a meeting so that is where I am headed. A prayer and a little meditation in the car should put me in whatever frame of mind god wants me to be in. I'm sure it will be a bit better after that.

Hope everyone had a good day.

Love you guys!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

My other option is to go home and spend some quality time with my hubby. He is usually at work but happens to be home tonight. I really just don't want to do that either. I just don't feel close to him at all lately. I Know I have some issues that I need to deal with in this area. I just have no idea where to start.
Precious- I am curious to hear more about your relationship. Was there ever a time that you did feel close to him?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Fitness, those slips happen to a lot of people in early recovery. I'm proud of you for getting back on the sobriety wagon so soon afterwards and not letting it become a long and drawn out relapse. It is so much harder to start again after a lengthy relapse, trust me, I know!

It sounds like most of this class is experiencing some of the lows of early recovery, but that's okay, the lows will be followed by better days and getting through this sober will only make it easier the next time the blues hit.

Artica, once you get the kids to bed, you owe yourself a nice long bubble bath to soak away the stress and tension you've been under today. Sometimes the simplest things will make all the difference! Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Kitty, don't worry too much about the lack of motivation at work. Everyone goes through this stage at some time or another, it's perfectly normal! Just do the mundane, routine tasks until you are mentally ready to tackle the long-term projects.

Fantail, raising a family is hard work but the one thing that helps is that you have to force yourself to keep moving. I think you hit something in your previous post, you probably need to find something new to do with your time right now. I am taking classes through a community college three nights a week. It keeps me mentally focused and forces me to get out of the house and keep a schedule. Maybe look into what your community college has to offer?

Venus, thank you for being the backbone of inspiration and optimism! Your posts reflect such a positive attitude lately, keep sending us your sunshine!

Pamel, I hope court went well for you! If it didn't go as expected, please don't let it get you down. Chin up and forge ahead. It's amazing how much strength each of us has when we find ourselves digging out of a bad situation. Keep us posted, you have been on my mind today!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Had a good day. Went to my Monday night meeting... It's a women's meeting. One of the women passed away yesterday. Sounded as if it was an OD.

I didn't know her but the conversation was really heavy and reminded me how serious this disease is.

That's all I have.

I hope y'all are well and apologize for not responding to individual posts. In a weird headspace.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

For everyoneFor years and years many good people have wanted me sober. Family, my peers, AA, some friends etc., at times all have offered advice that works, if worked. AA comes to mind in that the things that are said are so true. I've always have heard that some things work for some, but not for others. I believe this is also true. We are all unique, God has created each and everyone of us uniquely. With everything - one thing stands clear to me, if I don't have a sincere desire to stay sober and "work" at my sobriety, I will end up drinking. Again - what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. However there is a common denominator in whatever works for you or I and that is a sincere desire to "work" at our sobriety. We must pull out all stops in order not to pick up. I pray that each and everyone of you find out what works for you. I realize will power can not stop my bad behavior. Will power is psychological and can only be used in the right situation. Today I truly came to realize that my problem is spiritual. I pray that you, like I - can identify that bad root "drunkenness" that produces bad fruit "consequences," pray on it and be willing to have God remove it from our lives. Remember, bad fruit always comes from a bad root. Eventually, I believe this will give me rest. Think about it - AA Step 2 talks about a Power Greater, Steps 3, 5, 6, 7 and 11 refer to God. I'm praying that God will soon give you all rest also.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goose1 View Post
For everyoneFor years and years many good people have wanted me sober. Family, my peers, AA, some friends etc., at times all have offered advice that works, if worked. AA comes to mind in that the things that are said are so true. I've always have heard that some things work for some, but not for others. I believe this is also true. We are all unique, God has created each and everyone of us uniquely. With everything - one thing stands clear to me, if I don't have a sincere desire to stay sober and "work" at my sobriety, I will end up drinking. Again - what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. However there is a common denominator in whatever works for you or I and that is a sincere desire to "work" at our sobriety. We must pull out all stops in order not to pick up. I pray that each and everyone of you find out what works for you. I realize will power can not stop my bad behavior. Will power is psychological and can only be used in the right situation. Today I truly came to realize that my problem is spiritual. I pray that you, like I - can identify that bad root "drunkenness" that produces bad fruit "consequences," pray on it and be willing to have God remove it from our lives. Remember, bad fruit always comes from a bad root. Eventually, I believe this will give me rest. Think about it - AA Step 2 talks about a Power Greater, Steps 3, 5, 6, 7 and 11 refer to God. I'm praying that God will soon give you all rest also.
That was beautiful Goose, absolutely beautiful!

I consider you the spiritual leader of our February family here on SR.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

I made it to my meeting. I ran into a lady that I went to rehab with. We had a nice talk. The last few meetings I actually feel that I have something to offer others. I introduced myself to a few other ladies.

After the meeting I went to Walmart. Let me just clarify - not for food, laundry soap or toilet paper. Just to buy me an outfit, yes another one

When I went to ring up the cashier was very slow. The people behind me me were impatient. I was as patient as a turtle. When he was done I asked him his name, then looked him in the eyes and said "thank-you. One the way out I thought oh crap maybe he is going to worry that I wanted his name to complain. So I went to the manager to tell her how kind and helpful he was.

Gosh it feels so good to know I can make a difference in others lives. It's the best feeling in the world! I didn't know a Monday could be so good.

Melissa - Kind of you to ask about my husband. I would love any input I can get.

Hum, I dont even know where to start. I will keep it as short as possible.

Not even sure why I got married. He was verbally abusive before we even got married. Raised four kids as he continued to be this way to me and the kids. He was and still is a workaholic so he was gone a lot. My whole world revolved around my kids.

He mellowed out a bit about 10 years ago after I left for 3 months. He promised to stop working so much and stop being such an a** HE said he would put the family first.

He has stayed pretty mellow but he is still a workaholic. A few years ago I was literally having a nervous breakdown. He would say one or two things to pacify me and he just walk out everyday to try to make his business successful. He also has a full time job. To this day he works 40 there and pretty darn close to 40 at his business.

Now the kids are raised. I have resentment toward him because he never did develop a relationship with our children, nor does he work at doing it with our 3 grandchildren. He does makes a bit of extra money and pays for things for them. But I always wanted my kids to have a dad they were close to. And my 10 year old grandson desperately needs a male figure in his life.

He can show affection to me but not to the kids. He is emotionally absent for them and often for me. So now that it is just him and I. I feel guilty to have a close relationship with him when my children do not.

So I have resentment. Even if I can get past the resentment he is still a workaholic.

Now that I am feeling better I am accepting the fact that he is a workaholic and I really like it better when he is gone. I am enjoying doing my own thing and I feel like time with him is a chore.

My attitude lately is he makes money - I will spend it. He doesn't make all the money, I do work full-time. I know this way of living is not the fulfilling way that I would want to live. This scares me.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:37 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Melissa - Kind of you to ask about my husband. I would love any input I can get.

Hum, I dont even know where to start. I will keep it as short as possible.

Not even sure why I got married. He was verbally abusive before we even got married. Raised four kids as he continued to be this way to me and the kids. He was and still is a workaholic so he was gone a lot. My whole world revolved around my kids.

He mellowed out a bit about 10 years ago after I left for 3 months. He promised to stop working so much and stop being such an a** HE said he would put the family first.

He has stayed pretty mellow but he is still a workaholic. A few years ago I was literally having a nervous breakdown. He would say one or two things to pacify me and he just walk out everyday to try to make his business successful. He also has a full time job. To this day he works 40 there and pretty darn close to 40 at his business.

Now the kids are raised. I have resentment toward him because he never did develop a relationship with our children, nor does he work at doing it with our 3 grandchildren. He does makes a bit of extra money and pays for things for them. But I always wanted my kids to have a dad they were close to. And my 10 year old grandson desperately needs a male figure in his life.

He can show affection to me but not to the kids. He is emotionally absent for them and often for me. So now that it is just him and I. I feel guilty to have a close relationship with him when my children do not.

So I have resentment. Even if I can get past the resentment he is still a workaholic.

Now that I am feeling better I am accepting the fact that he is a workaholic and I really like it better when he is gone. I am enjoying doing my own thing and I feel like time with him is a chore.
A lot of times people marry into a situation that holds similar energy to their childhood- I wonder if you encountered someone like your husband when you were young? It's what I thought of when you said you didn't know why you got married in the first place. Ive noticed in life we tend to play out the same dramas over and over in different forms until they are resolved.

I don't mean to dig into your personal life and let me know if you dont want to talk about it. I have a feeling this is something that you really need to work on and resolve within yourself because you've brought it up a lot without really talking about it and we are here to help and listen.

Thinking more about your husband I wonder where in his past he learned this behavior? Is working his drug/addiction/escape? I think all addictions stem from the same place of pain they just have different band aids. Maybe you two have some important soul growth work to do together- maybe your growth will come from leaving- only you can decide that.

You can't want someone to be something their not. I had this a-ha moment when watching dr Phil (of all places) once. A woman was going on and on about how she wishes she had a mom who was loving and supportive and he responded "we'll guess what? You don't have that, it wasnt in the cards for you. So now what?" [paraphrasing]
That was the moment when I began to accept my father for who he is and not who I wish he had been.

I'm gonna cut myself off before I continue rambling about dr Phil hahaha. -M.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

My court date went very well indeed; details tk. Now we are off to hospital for a surgery for my husband (it is minor but of course, any surgery has risk).

Wil have plenty of time to catch up today if the hospital has wifi...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Anyone there

Is my computer broke, or have we not had a post in sereral hours? I love opening new posts form you guys - it's like a Christmas present

So pretty good day at work. Starting to accomplish a drop more each day. Still to daunted to start on the big projects though.
I am learning to focus more on productive things instead of going around creating unnecessary drama. Today I did catch myself getting caught up in - well actually creating a bit of drama here at work - just like the old days.

I don't miss that way of life, going to nip it in the bud right now.

How is everyone else today?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi Again,
Well, work is over and I am having a moment! I would love to stop at the liquor store, go home, get feeling real good and clean my house. I won't though.

This is a pattern; this is usually why I have relapsed the last few times and half the reason I have drank for so long. I cannot quite put the dots together though.

Why do I want to drink and clean? It is not always the reason I drank, but mostly. I just wanted to be the Betty Crocker good mom my home a place my kids could call home sweet home. This made me happy for years (content, now that I look back).

Now my kids are pretty much raised and gone. I have my husband, but I just don't seem to want to spend time with him. I wish I wanted to clean and organize my house, but I don't! My kids are great. They would love to spend time with me, but I don't want that right now either. Maybe I am just trying to find myself. IDK - I am feeling a little lost right now.

I guess I will try what I did last night (meeting and meditate) and see what happens. Without the shopping though. My husband knows how much I have been spending lately and said we are going on a budget.

Darn, I am on my work computer so I cannot attach all the emotions that would fit so nicely into this post.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm doing pretty well. I just got back from a meeting about potentially doing some freelance work. It felt nice to talk about professional things again. If they do have work for me it won't be for another month or so, but the meeting went well.

Also scheduled a date with someone from an online dating site... he sounds super intense, but whatever, good to get out there and give it a shot!

On a funny note... so one of the TV shows I watch is the Walking Dead (zombies have always been my favorite monsters). Well, I discovered it last year and when I didn't have other plans I'd go get a bunch of beer or wine and watch the show. A couple weeks ago I thought "you know, I don't remember all of the episodes that well, since I was drinking. I'll go back and watch a few." Well oh my goodness! I can't even believe how much blacking out I did. I rewatched the first couple seasons and there are entire episodes that I barely remember. I can't even imagine how much actual, face to face real world experiences I must have forgotten without realizing it!! Makes me grateful to be putting that behind me.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hey Kitty,

i was at work all day and not a very good daily poster, but i'm trying to get better and definitely read what you write!

hope your day is better than yesterday. glad you made a meeting. it sounds like you are doing a lot of thinking about your marriage. you probably have heard many times that they say one shouldn't make drastic changes in early recovery. sometimes that happens to us involuntarily, but when we have a choice i suppose the "rule of thumb" is to avoid starting or ending anything until we are on more solid ground and feel we are more objective. not sure if i'm making sense or if it truly applies to you, only you know that.

have a good evening, i'll be checking on this thread tonight too! take care, wehav
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
now's the time

Kitty, Odelle recently suggested to me that I might want to try taking a community college class. I'm starting to look into it, I think it might be really fun. Maybe something like that would help you, too?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Fantail- that made me laugh about Walking Dead!

Kitty- I think being aware of when we're creating drama is an improvement for sure! Self awareness is always a good thing.

Wehav2day- good to hear from you! We have the same sober birthday as we've mentioned before, which I think is cool! Did you do anything special Sat to celebrate 30 days?

Well... My parents are coming this weekend. I don't know how I feel about it. They don't know I'm in AA so I won't be attending meetings while they're here. And, things between us are sort of difficult.

So- I'm anxious about that... But I know I need to work on my relationship with them so hoping this is a good visit.

Blessings,
SB
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

hey star, good memory! nothing major for my sober birthday, but we celebrated our 8th anniversary on sunday with nice little gifts and a brunch. it was nice to have a sober time with no "big elephant" in the room.

how about you, did you do anything fun?

good luck with your family. do you have a plan for if they offer you something to drink? that can be a toughie. in a pinch, there's always the antibiotics defense...

pulling for you and all our fabruary (not a typo :-) friends! --wehav
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I made the right choice and went to a meeting. YAY me!

Wehav2day -ani I have been waiting to use that emotion

Fantail - Thanks for all your support on both threads

SB - You are going to do just fine this weekend. And if things get hard - we are right here. Please tell us a bit about your parents.

Where oh where is the rest of my family? I miss you! Come out and play!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

awww, shucks, thanks kitty!! glad you took in a meeting. glad you seem much better!

happy sober night all, it's bedtime in ohio.