May we forever learn
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

May we forever be in blue jeans. :rotfxko
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
instant

May I read the instructions before using a tool I am not familiar with.........next time.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itchy, I don't know where you went to school (Faber College perhaps), but all of my professors were pretty decent. Maybe I just got lucky. We had a few older students and they seemed to blend in just fine.

Have a great day, all!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Manz, I went to graduate school ten years after undergrad. Doesn't sound like much difference in time, but it sure felt like it at first. All the students seemed to have gone straight through but me.

But life experience made the experience far richer for me I think. I could relate better to the content since I'd been out in the workforce longer. And I made friends with people I had much in common with, which trumped the age difference.

But, I remember crying to my (then) husband, "I can't even write a paragraph! I can't put two words together for these papers!" I thought my brain would never remember how to be in school.

But within a month, it all came back. You will be there before you know it. It is like riding a bike.

Good luck. I admire what you are doing.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Finger check, instant—still got 10? I'm a bit of a direction-skipper myself. I think a part of me likes the sense of exploration into uncharted territory. Map, who needs a map, lol?

I felt a little like an adult student in early recovery. I just reached out to a local uke teacher, too. Want to take things to the next level. And the thing I like most about my job is that I am exposed to new people, ideas, and subjects. Learning rocks, but maturity is overrated.

You'll do great, Manz. I'm sure you'll find the right balance, and still leave enough time for the occasional walk on the beach.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am also a "mature" student. I have at least ten years on most of my classmates. It's a tight program and it's been a long road getting around the age gaps. It's been educational for me though to learn to work with all different kinds of personalities. I hated most of them when I started, thought I'd never be friends with anyone. Now we get along fine.

I agree with EQ, life and work experience is a BIG bonus at school. I kicked A** on my class mates because I actually cared and wanted to learn and was responsible for my work. Whereas a lot of them were just going through the motions, getting the passing grade.

IT IS MY LAST DAY OF CLASSES. Actually we don't really have classes today, we're pushing out a magazine that we've been working on all term, it goes to print tonight! No classes on friday then I start my internship on Monday! The music editor emailed me yesterday asking me to send him a list of upcoming bands and shows I want to write about!!!!!! You can't imagine how over the moon I am right now, to be working at this paper and my JOB is to write about cool bands and review shows! He says he likes to get interns to write as much as possible, no fetching coffee or organizing filing cabinets.

I'm going in to meet him in an hour. Eeeeee! Oh yeah, the hq of the paper is about five blocks up the street from me, so I can WALK there. Amazing.

Have a great day everyone!

R&A it's so cool that you're embracing your uke playing!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's great, IP!!

I love college. I stayed awhile..I hated to leave, ha. Then I went back (commuted, tho)..and back again. Actually, I'll probably be going again soon..should start taking some early childhood classes in the fall.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FBL,
It was LSU and the year was 1981. Aids had not yet been identified, I was on a break in military service for school and Iran had our hostages, Reagan had just been elected and he ended the Hostage crisis. Put it in perspective for the times and we were very aware and active at age 30 when I went back! Here is the wiki for that year here in the US
1981 in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Animal house with the late great John Belushi did come out only three years before in 1978 while I was teaching at the AF Academy. the year before animal House came out was LCWB. ( The last Academy class that was all men.)
Ahhh now that place was a zoo! Those were the days, as the song goes.

Yes let's enjoy and learn, and love and earn, for the days go rushing by us. When Mary Hopkins sang it the singer seemed ahead of me in life, and now seem . . .

Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days
La la la la...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
instant

Had I read the instructions or checked on youtube the many instructional videos I would not have stripped the thread on my left crankarm. I am not too upset, it is my old bike and it owes me nothing.

Remember students - do your homework and read the question- answer the one that is asked and not the one you would like!!

Funny about the maps, my wife and I drove to the start of a ride and got lost on the way. we did not even have a proper map of the area in question!!! Same issue "basic organisation"
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Apart from that.....

Have a good weekend everyone
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

thanks itch, now i have Louie Louie roll'n around in my head
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shindig rah rah rah Zip

D
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Aw, hugs Manz. Do you want to talk about it? Hope tomorrow (your today) is sunnier.

Heading up north for a few days to our little vacation place...

Working on defining intentions and then following through with action....I'm on Day 2 of consciously creating the day I intend.

Had an SR ephiphany....let's see if it works for anybody else...

I remember asking, "What's this feeling? It's like I'm a good person inside?" That's self-esteem, lol. I couldn't even identify the feeling.

Then it grew into Self-Respect.... I won't take garbage from people....Starting to clear out the weeds inside my soul.

Then Desire....I want more for my life....I see other people like Manz creating new jobs, Fandy with lots of things....I want what they've got.

My newest word is Ambition...I want THAT, I will WORK for that, nothing can stop me

Have a good day Overs!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Manz, sending good vibes your way.

Itchy, I was 15 years old and just starting high school in 1981. Sorry, didn't mean to make you feel old (well, maybe I did a little)

Dee, thanks for the video. Has anybody figured out the lyrics to "Louie, Louie" yet?!?

Frances, way to go! We can ALL accomplish so much more sober.

Have a great weekend, all!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

In 1981 I was three. ****For the win!!!!****

Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FBL
Yep,
Me and my first group got kicked off the stage at the Stamford CT Battle Of The Bands for singing them clearly back when it was a hit. I came of age, 18, in 1970. For many of us that was the beginning of the end. We were trying to win in Vietnam for a change, back then we had the draft, a literal lottery ( The Lottery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) for those who were not "Fortunate Sons" as John Fogarty understood so well.
Creedence Clearwater Revival Lyrics: Fortunate Son
My draft number was seven, they drew the draft numbers based on your birthday, and were drawing for all of us who would turn 19 in 1971. Unless you were a fortunate son, or had a physical defect, or certain exemptions, they held drawings and if your birthday was drawn first you draft number was one and they drafted from the lowest to highest. So a draft number of 364 wasn't getting drafted. They drafted to number 175 the year before my year. My draft number was seven. I did not want to go directly to Vietnam with the Army, as many of my friends had, several never to return. I marched in war protests. I had no deferment. I played denial until mid January, but the war was going strong. I even considered going to Canada, but no, I had a better way to dodge the draft, and I did it. I joined the Air Force and the induction letter came after I was safely in basic training. I never went to Vietnam, and served the war time as a medic in a stateside military hospital. I found I liked the discipline and honor code of the military and made it my profession, and career.
So I became a decorated draft dodger in fact! Probably because of lyrics like "Monster" by Steppenwolf's John Kay, born in then East Prussia, and family fled to then West Germany. And CCR, and warped by the dirty lyrics of the Kingsman, and loved Hendrix's rendition of the National anthem.

Frances,
Now that was a brilliant condensation of our path, should we take it. Yes it ring true for me too.

Instant and R&A, I read directions. I grew up as a military brat, and then traveled and lived all over the world. From an early age I also asked directions. Never had the luxury of being any place for more than a year or three. So always was the new kid. Sometimes the new kid whou couldn't speak the local language to play outside. You learn to learn quick. But you have to ask questions and study. In the military I coined an acronym because some of my instructors, working on weapons, would not read the TO (military directions) and mess up a tolerance. RTFD! (read the freakin directions!)
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP wins the "The One Year and Over Young Hero Award." It is box of Kleenex! For demoisturizing the auricle's posterior.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Louie Louie stuck there? This'll get it out! If the pic link does not appear it is because I forgot how to do the [YT] thingy. Where is that tips post Dee wrote?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
instant

THanks Itchy RTFD is my new mantra (see tagline). I always wondered what I would do if faced with conscription and the related challenges. Glad it worked out for you.

When I stopped drinking and even before I felt a strange physical struggle in myself. At times it was like someone else was in there who could not speak. Over this last few weeks I have noticed a change in my ability to have several things I am "thinking" about going over in my mind. These are all "whats the next step" in various things I am doing. This ability is new to me and it relates to the point Frances is making- there is a now a hunger to do things now that I am not stewing in juice.

The crank removal tool is now embedded firmly in the damaged crank. I now need a 12" wrench (according to the guys on youtube). I am very excited to see what type of bearing set up I have in my bottom bracket.