Notices

One Year and Over Club- Part 11

Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thumbs up

Sounds like fun Instant. I used to build BMX bikes with and for my kids when they were 10-15 or so. They both did well but the oldest won a lot of trophies. The wealthier folks bought ultra light alloy $1000 frames for their kids and then every few months their little darlings would get daddy to buy them new cranks or frames or ultra light alloy seat posts, knuckles and seats. I would be there offering pennies on the dollar for the select parts we wanted because they were scratched! MY kids beat theirs with their used hand me downs! That was 81-86 when I was in college and only the wife worked and I got a GI Bill stipend plus tuition.

Instant I too went through that gotta git r dun and still am there really. Good on ya! Now I gotta hear what you found for bearings in the bottom bracket.

I love restoring things.

Yes the draft worked out in the end. Few can say they are draft dodgers who served with honor for 27 years. I are one!

RTFD has been mine since the 70's. Good rule to remember.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Frances and Instant, I really identify with the stage you're describing.
I feel like I've turned a corner and it has given me a new view to consider.
I am at Ponder Point on the climb.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
instant

May we ponder and take action in perpetuity.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

11:30 pm, I am working on my very last school project. Feels so weird and surreal. Woah it just hit me as I typed that. I am about 60% done and refuse to sleep until it's finished. It's going to be a long night but when it's done I'm going to feel amazing!!!!
Have any of you heard of the band "Stars"? They're an indie band of some fame, and I'm interviewing them on Monday--my first assignment for the paper is to write a feature story on them! I went in yesterday to meet my bosses for the next five weeks and they are all so cool and laid back and funny. My main jobs will be trolling online music sources like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork and spinning music news into blog posts. I'll also be doing video interviews and making little movies for the website, doing reviews, etc. I am just so excited. I want to work there!
I love your avatar EQ. Is it j.w. waterhouse? So romantic! Okay I have to keep working...
Have a wonderful Saturday everyone, I am going to a poutine festival! With a french Canadian which is appropriate.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
instant

IP this is great news. I will look them up.

I got the bottom bracket out of my bike. The left crank is still stubbornly attached. The whole thing needs to be replaced. There are some newer systems now and I will see if there is one I can up grade to.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Louie Louie......oh my that brought back memories.....I happen to prefer the Australian Crawl rendition...and it reminded me of being 15-16(mid 80s) driving around in a VW beetle burning off boys at lights in their boy racer cars and beating them!!!!!! I think my friends beetle was somehow supercharged, hahahhaha. Happy times. Check it out here, if this link works...... Australian Crawl - Louie Louie (live) - YouTube

Why the unhappy face? Have been hit with a reality slap and been angsting over the pros and cons of returning to University and the effects on life for me at the moment. On paper the conclusion is that I withdraw this year and apply again next year. In my heart I think this is the right thing to do, BUT.... emotionally this will feel like a HUGE failure and triggers many difficult responses for me. I'm a bit of a mess really, keeping myself to myself, to figure this out. I even considered having a drink. Silly really, and only because of the memories, emotions, feelings triggered. Just another reason to not start Uni and deal with all the layers of 'stuff' in my soul that needs healing. I miss having someone close enough to act as a sounding board...but really the decision has to be mine anyway. So that is why the sad face.

Its stinking hot here and I'm hiding inside for the moment......feeling lost. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you the best in making the right choice whatever that is Manz

D
Old 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Manz,
Whatever decision you make, will be the right decision, because it will be your decision, for your life.
Whatever you do, it will be okay.
I hope you come to some peace about it soon. ~EQ.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Manz,
I am for you whatever you decide. The Crawl sound pretty good.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Manz, I'm sorry. But either way I know you will choose wisely. It's hardly a failure to do the things we must. If you have to put it off for a year, well, that's only 12 months away. Also, you succeeded in one of the few things you have full control over: your recovery. That's the engine of your dreams. Don't forget that two steps forward, one step back, still gets you where want to go.

IP, your gig sounds amazing. Do you know who Lester Bangs is? If not, look him up! As a onetime journalist and bigtime music lover, I'm envious of the massive pool of creativity you're about to enter—soak it up!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Re-Member

IP!
Congrats! It's not over just beginning. Have fun on Monday. Speaking of music I just hapoened across the local public broadcasting station and they have live at the Checkerboard, the Rolling Stones perform with Muddy Waters in Chicago, 1981. I never saw this before! Un freakin believable!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Evening Overs,

Manz I just wanted to throw out a few thoughts I had when I read your post about if you put off school you would feel like a failure. Now IMHO a failure would be someone who just walked away from it and never did it by taking the right steps. Kinda like the running away theme. Knowing ones limitations and going back to school when other ventures have mellowed out is simply smart, and learning to take care of ones self, therefore a success. Our minds, or at least my mind, is out to get me at times and it doesn't see the positive in some situations. I also like to pick up that stick and beat myself with it because that is what I did for so long, changing those habits can take a life time I am learning. Lastly you are a mom, you are working, and on top of all of that you are dealing with staying sober all that to me ='s SUCCESSFUL WOMAN. So say it, I am a successful woman and it is okay to take things at a slower pace. If a friend came to you with this problem what would you tell them, would you think or call them a failure?
Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

manz you have come a long way

as you mentioned,

go back to fixing the insides, and the rest will will come

all good wishes hon
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
instant

Manz. We each have 24 hours a day. How we spend them is our choice.

IP I looked up the band- lots of original stuff- enjoy your interview
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Also, you succeeded in one of the few things you have full control over: your recovery. That's the engine of your dreams. Don't forget that two steps forward, one step back, still gets you where want to go.
Love love LOVE this. This helped ME today, too, R &A... so thank you.

Manz..don't sweat it, chica. Do what's best for YOU. Failure shmailure. Nonsense. You rock, don't forget it.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Guess I wasn't the only one who had a slow Monday, lol...

Glad it helped, mirage. I take a lot of steps back, so it's often top of mind for me.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
instant

I'm going to clean the bike chains on our bikes today with the new chain cleaning device. I am proud to say I have read the instructions prior to use.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Evening Overs,

Yep slooooow Monday alright :rotfxko

what a concept Instant read the instructions. I am still learning to do that.

Hope everyone has a happy Tuesday.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
instant

It is amazing how quickly things can be done if one

a) reads the instructions
b) does a careful walk through
c) checks a and b again prior to commencing
d) follows the instructions

For tonight happiness is the sound of a clean chain that has been re-lubricated
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind supportive words.....

I withdrew from Uni, hope to defer to next year. Feel horrid but life goes on.

Pebbles and Pineapple Lumps(sweets, google away) are getting me through...not ideal, but better than booze. One day I will be free of these shackles too...lol.

Funny, I had supervision yesterday with my boss, and she kept paying me compliments about my work and the extra projects I had completed, and told me that I need to learn to say no to any of her request to do extra work(because she comes to me when anything is particularly challenging, important & timeframed) if I am too busy.....and I just could not take on board the compliments.......I hear them(like your kind words here) but I just don't seem to be able to believe them. More to work on.....always more................

My weeman was very happy to hear that things are going back to normal and he can come home as usual on a Wednesday evening. One of the reasons to withdraw....

Have a good rest of your Tuesday......