Notices

Class of February 2013 part 3

Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnxiousAlchy View Post
I'm new here and I'm on day 6. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. I am happy to be apart of such a wonderful class of Feb 2013. When will the anxiety stop?!?!
And Anxious 1Step is right - You will get/give so much support and love on this site.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Dancediva

Originally Posted by NewLifeForMeeee View Post
Estone, I agree, once we get to know ourselves and become stronger and more confident then we cna go out with drinkers. Do you think its okay to go out with drinkers and not be tempted? i always wonder what other sober alcoholics do? is there a certain time peroid we should wait before doing this?
NewLife, I have no idea. So far I have avoided those social situations. I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet. I will be tested next weekend though as I have a 4 day out-of-town seminar coming up. I am scared to death that I will cave. On the flip side I'm scared to death I won't cave! Does that make sense? I'm not sure I know who I am without the drink. I have no idea how I'm going to handle it. I plan on logging in to you guys as much as I can. Every night there is a "business" dinner planned which allways includes booze. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Dancediva

Originally Posted by NewLifeForMeeee View Post
Estone that's so lovely, hope you enjoy your day out with your daughter. Wish my mum gave up the booze and we could spend some time together where she's not irritable and thinking about booze. But i can't expect her to change just coz i have! and i LOVE that saying ."life looks so much better through sober glasses" might put that on my wall thing if that's okay!
Absolutely OK newlife!
By the way we had the best day ever! I was so calm and enjoyed our time so much. We shopped, shopped, and shopped some more after the college visit! We didn't even get home til 11:00pm.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi AnxiousAlchy! Welcome!

I can't answer your question about when the anxiety will stop. It is my greatest hurdle, and I find it very distressing. I wish that I had an answer foy you, but for now, all I can say is that you are not alone. You definitely have my company.

I hope that you find some relief. I know that that you will find good support here.

Best to you today, and congratulations on day 6!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good Morning Y'all! Start of Day 9 here. Just checking in. Rough night last night but I didn't drink so that's something. I have a flat tire so off to have that looked at... At least I can handle it without a hangover!

Anxious- welcome! The folks in this class are amazing!

Venus- stay strong! Your posts always lift my spirits so reach out to us as you need!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Good morning to you too Starbaby,

Congratulations on your day 9! Very good!

Too bad about your tire, but isn't it great to handle life's unforeseen stressors without a hangover? Shoot, just making the bed without a hangover makes me grateful right now.

Best to you today, and again, great job!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by estone View Post
NewLife, I have no idea. So far I have avoided those social situations. I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet. I will be tested next weekend though as I have a 4 day out-of-town seminar coming up. I am scared to death that I will cave. On the flip side I'm scared to death I won't cave! Does that make sense? I'm not sure I know who I am without the drink. I have no idea how I'm going to handle it. I plan on logging in to you guys as much as I can. Every night there is a "business" dinner planned which allways includes booze. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Good Luck on the trip Eston - Actually, it has nothing to do with luck. It is all up to you, and your HP is there for you.

Were rooting (I know that is now the right spelling - oh well) for u.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starbaby928 View Post
Good Morning Y'all! Start of Day 9 here. Just checking in. Rough night last night but I didn't drink so that's something. I have a flat tire so off to have that looked at... At least I can handle it without a hangover!

Anxious- welcome! The folks in this class are amazing!

Venus- stay strong! Your posts always lift my spirits so reach out to us as you need!
Hi SB,
Good job making it through the night! I am right behind you on day 4.

So funny I have a flat tire too - totally flat for 3 days now. Gonna fix it today!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi PK!

Congratulations on your day 4! My very best to you today as you take care of your car troubles.

I see the great support you have given your fellow SR classmates. It's quite commendable. Be proud of the great steps you are taking.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by estone View Post
Absolutely OK newlife!
By the way we had the best day ever! I was so calm and enjoyed our time so much. We shopped, shopped, and shopped some more after the college visit! We didn't even get home til 11:00pm.
Hi estone!

It sounds like you had a wonderful day with your daughter. Shopping would be a blast....I may have to borrow my friends little girl so that I can indulge in some "retail therapy"....my boys despise shopping!!

Best to you today, and everday!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Venus, My sincerest condolences to you in the sudden passing of Andy. Last September, I adopted a kitten for my daughter. She was 3 mos. and such a sweetie. She got along well with existing adult kitty and all was good. She seemed "not well" in January and I took her to the vet. She was diagnosed with FIP, incurable and fatal. I took her home and we had her for another week before putting her to sleep to end her suffering. We were so devastated. I had prayed that she would pass peacefully in the night, but it didn't happen. I so dreaded the end of life procedure. I was with her when it was administered and can honestly say that she did go peacefully, for that I thank God. Sorry for the long ramble. What I came to terms with and shared with my daughter was that even though her life was incredibly short, the time she was with us she was loved and very spoiled. I am sure you gave Andy a wonderful life! Be thankful for the time you had with him as I am sure he knows he was blessed to have you!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I am 31 and I drank every day for the past 2 1/2 years. I was mainly a red wine/beer drinker during the week and hard stuff on weekends. I'm a fairly small girl but I could hold my liquor. I have had the worst anxiety since about Nov and I just figured out it was alcohol withdrawals since that's when I tried to cut back. So 6 days ago I decided enough is enough!! "Drinking isn't fun any more I have started questioning my sanity" is what I said to myself. I quickly started googling and SR kept coming up in my searches and after reading 100s of post I knew I had to join. Knowing I'm not alone is making Day 6 that much better.

My Dr prescribed me 40mg of Celexa it seems to be working or maybe it's just being sober.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mvngon View Post
Hi PK!

Congratulations on your day 4! My very best to you today as you take care of your car troubles.

I see the great support you have given your fellow SR classmates. It's quite commendable. Be proud of the great steps you are taking.
Thanks for that MV
Old 03-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousalchy View Post
i am 31 and i drank every day for the past 2 1/2 years. I was mainly a red wine/beer drinker during the week and hard stuff on weekends. I'm a fairly small girl but i could hold my liquor. I have had the worst anxiety since about nov and i just figured out it was alcohol withdrawals since that's when i tried to cut back. So 6 days ago i decided enough is enough!! "drinking isn't fun any more i have started questioning my sanity" is what i said to myself. I quickly started googling and sr kept coming up in my searches and after reading 100s of post i knew i had to join. Knowing i'm not alone is making day 6 that much better.

My dr prescribed me 40mg of celexa it seems to be working or maybe it's just being sober.
yay!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

AnxiousAlchy, im 32 and like you drinking was certainly no fun for me anymore, in fact it was chaos and misery. I too get anxious and have used alcohol to hide it, its just made it worse though, on day eight now and still fighting it. Glad you've decided to join us!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

1step,

I wouldn't wish anxiety on anyone, like you it is pure misery to feel this way so I too would drink to feel better...such a tricky cycle to get out of. We are on the right path now! Congrats on 8 days!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Dancediva

Thanks PK! I know it's my AV talking. Old habbits die hard you know! At least by then I'll be 1 month sober! This is my 3rd sober weekend in a row! I feel like I have more of a handle on it each day. It helps to know I have tons of support here.

Mvngon - I have 1 girl and 1 boy. I know what you mean about boys. My son acts like he's being beat if he has to go shopping! I'm ganna miss her so much when she leaves the nest. Oh well.. we have to give them wings and let them fly right? Wish I wouldn't have waited so long to realize how precious and limited my time with them is.

Welcome anxious...and any other newcomers! We're glad your here. Strenght comes in large numbers you know!

Venous- hope your doing well today. You and your doggie are in my heart today.

Pamel- You are my role model. I'm in awe of how you keep track of the group and are so thoughtful to make all feel welcome and included. From here on out I am going to strive to do better! I get a little lost and confused so if I forget someone it's not intentional!

Happy Sober Weekend everyone!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
now's the time

So many posts! Stuff that popped into mind while reading...

Anxious - Welcome! For me, the first week was the worst with anxiety and then it started to taper off. A good friend of mine is on Celexa; she likes it. Hopefully your anxiety goes away soon... Congratulations on being so proactive and going right to the source of your problem! It took me ages to do that.

Venus - I'm so sorry about your dog. I remember how sad I was when I lost mine. Feel free to hit us with any happy dog memories, it can be nice to think about the fun stuff.

Estone - Your posts about your day with your daughter made me really happy. I'm a momma's girl (is that even a thing?) and there is nothing I would like more than a day of mother-daughter road trip and shopping. If she didn't live across the country I'd be banging on her door right now after reading your posts. I'm so happy for you that you are able to give that time to your daughter, and sober!

NewLife - Ah, first loves. I'm very grateful I had one even if it was hard to get over. I read someone somewhere refer to that type of early, intense relationship as "lash yourselves together and let the world burn around you love" and I thought that described it very well. Very unique to being young and new and meeting just the right person. As for going out with people who drink... I'm single and on the younger side, so if I didn't hang out around alcohol, I'd have no social life. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but for me jumping right into the deep end (not altering my social patterns) has been nice. I don't feel like I have something looming and scary in the future.

Tiger - I'm so sorry about your health scare! That sounds terrifying. I'm sorry about your back but very glad to hear that your heart was fine. I had to go to the ER a few weeks ago by myself... it had been a long time and I'd forgotten just how lonely and cold those places can be. Brrr. Glad you're OK.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
now's the time

OK. Starting off Day 17. Already off to a good start because it is day 17, not the evening of Day 17. My sleep schedule seems to have gotten back on track... two days in a row waking up between 8 and 9am.

So: the first wave of withdrawal seems to be done! Thank goodness!!

But (why does there always have to be a but): today I woke up and almost immediately had my first real craving. Over the past couple weeks I've had vague feelings (like "sigh, I know if I had a beer my head wouldn't feel fuzzy anymore") but nothing concrete. This morning was "What shall I do today?" and the response was "Have a beer!" I did not have a beer for breakfast and the craving went away quickly, but it was a pretty strong indicator to me that my nice little break from cravings is possibly coming to an end.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Dancediva

fantail- Yes Mamma's girl IS a real thing! I'm one myself! My mother lives over 300 miles away so I know where you're coming from. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss her. I need to tell her that today! I'm not sure I express it enough.