Notices

Class of December 2012 - Part 6

Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone.

Seems like all is well with all of you and nice weekend, relaxing weekend was enjoyed by most - except for the RAL "red paint incident"

Did you get RAL junior & puppy all cleaned up?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Cat-glad it wasn't too bad and you're back on track
Thanks RAL. It was bad enough having the ugly, haunting reminder of how destructive alcohol can be.

I hope you forgive me for LOL'n while reading the red paint disaster and getting a perfect visual of the adventure. You just have to chalk up another lesson learned.

It sounds like tazz, gonzo and TT had a nice weekend - so glad to hear that!!

I'm off to a great start for a Monday as far as work goes. Compared to a week ago, I'm able to concentrate as opposed to wondering if I'll make it through the day without drinking.

People who never drank or had an actual drinking problem don't know how good they really got it. We, on the other hand, are truly grateful for waking up hangover free, remembering the simplest things in life, enjoying life to it's fullest and those around us.

Everyone have an awesome day and stay sober!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
Welcome Fallow! How are you?
Feeling good today thanks. Just working and jumping everyday hurdles.

Got some family visiting for a week so theres a little extra stress. How are you?!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Good night classmates. CHeck you all on the morrow.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

I'm still moving forward with my new sober life and its a wonderful feeling. I got through a weekend away with family and friends without feeling the need to explain why I'm not drinking. So its another milestone for me! As is often the case now I noticed how little everyone was drinking, just a few social drinks and they stopped!I guess that's the difference... being able to leave it behind and no obsessing about the next drink etc.

I hope everyone is doing well as a new week begins
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Morning!

Ready, did you take pics I hope?! And I loved that movie.

Taz, howdy! Hope that helped!

Fallow, it looks like we like the same music! Awesome! The Postal Service is coming out with a 10th anniversary album, so says AltNation. You will make it through the family visits... Without a drink even!

TT, how are you doing?

Marria, that's funny huh? I notice that people aren't drinking as much as I thought as well, good or you for keeping a sober weekend!

SoberHH, yeah, the mood swings can be severe. But at least there is no headache with them. Lol

Gonzo, sounds like you had a good busy weekend.

Courage, D, Cat and whoever I may have missed, hope you are having a good day.

Just work today and a meeting tonight. I did go to the dietitian yesterday, she gave me a meal plan and said I was eating backwards, all of my calories were in my dinner but not enough in my breakfast or lunch. We shall see... I just want to wear the stuff in my closet.

Have a good one!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

hello all, checking in this Tuesday am before I dive into work. With our weather improving I am not around the computor much to post, but I do keep ya'll close with my i phone. Doing a lot of outside work, got some hanging flower baskets done yesterday. Generally getting the outside of the house looking presentable.
I do seem to be struggling a lot lately with the voice, good weather and good moods is a huge trigger for me, and after my last slip, the beast has gotten louder. My plan is to leave my wallet at home, ( no money no wine), focus on the future, being healthy, lowering BP, etc. Like I said I will be checking in here a lot even if I dont post as much.

Take care all!! Gonna be a good day I can tell!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good for you Marria

Hang tough tazzle. Sounds like you have a plan - stick to it. Good Luck. Enjoy the outside. I am not much of a gardener or outside person at all. I wish I was.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post

Fallow, it looks like we like the same music! Awesome! The Postal Service is coming out with a 10th anniversary album, so says AltNation. You will make it through the family visits... Without a drink even!
Have a good one!
I know it I can't wait! They are on tour too

I do not know if I am going because nobody else I know listens to them and it is on a work night
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

So here we are in another month.Time really flies doesn't it. Congrats to all who quit at the beginning of Dec and have got 4 months

Tazzle-hope you get through the day ok. Are you using a program? Could you look at something additional which may help you get through these tough times?

Lynn-that's interesting about the dietitian but I'd think most people eat most at night.I know if I have a large breakfast I want to eat loads all day.Did you tell her you'd stopped drinking and did she mention any impact of that on diet/weight. I've still not lost any more weight so pretty disappointed though I've been eating chocs

Great to hear that Marria,you sound very positive

TTBABP-how are you? how's your husband doing? I'm also not a gardener but hoping to be so once moved

Cat-no probs lol'ing at all! I laughed too after the event. The garden is a mess though- How do you clean grass though?

Glad you had a good weekend Gonzo.

Great to see you posting Fallow

Hope you are doing ok courage -sending hugs

Still haven't moved house yet. These things take so long Feeling like a nervous wreck waiting for solicitor's calls. Not much to report from over the pond really.Hope everyone is ok.x
Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

re hi all. this flower growing is a new experiance for both hubby and myself. We had never lived were flowers were really possible before, so it is a new adventure for us, kind of a clueless leading the hopeless .

Our flowers have no rhyme or reason of how they are growing or in what order, kind of a hodge podge of color and sizes. I am sure that the people who know what they are doing and have the immaculate yards, are horrified when they drive by our house, but we are having a good time with it, so who cares
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tazzle View Post
re hi all. this flower growing is a new experiance for both hubby and myself. We had never lived were flowers were really possible before, so it is a new adventure for us, kind of a clueless leading the hopeless .

Our flowers have no rhyme or reason of how they are growing or in what order, kind of a hodge podge of color and sizes. I am sure that the people who know what they are doing and have the immaculate yards, are horrified when they drive by our house, but we are having a good time with it, so who cares
It sounds lovely and a new adventure. Relevant too-new life,growth, blooming etc just like your new life not drinking. I'd love to be into gardening and think I will take a leaf out of your book (no pun intended and start growing. Going to try herbs and vegetables too and get chickens
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Taz, I haven't tried to grow anything either so I am impressed!

Ready, I did tell her that I no longer drink... I went because I am up 14 lbs since quitting! Ugh. But I have alway fluctuated a lot.

Fallow, the good concerts are always on a school night. Or too expensive. The Muse was here recently but I won't pay over 100 to see anyone.,, I'm stingy.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Hi Class!

Another lovely day here although my work is on a temporary hold while I re-test due to some inaccuracies last week.

tazzle - I'd love to hear more about your garden and what you're planting. I used to work at a garden center and got the inside skippy on plants as far as light, watering, positioning, etc. My flowers are what keep me going daily as I find it very therapeutic talking, caring, watering and nurturing them.

Marria - sounds like a perfect weekend for you with the "social drinkers". I'm glad it went so smooth for you.

Tam - I think I have the same problem and should consider avoiding the BOGO on the Keebler cookies as well as key lime frozen yogurt at night. Then again, if I just got off my tush and did some regular exercise....

RAL - I'd say the grass will eventually grow out (if it doesn't die first) then you can cut it. How much of an area was it?

TT - the outdoors is where it's at! I guess that was one of the main reasons I moved south - so that I can enjoy the warmth outdoors year round. How's work going for you?

Fallow - I can relate to the stress with family visits. Good luck on that!

Hey gonzo, Dee and anyone else out there!

Nothing much on the tube tonight so I should spend my time productively reviewing work materials.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

OK - all the talk of the outdoors and gaerdeners and would be gardeners. I think in the next few weeks (after I get my taxes done - pushing it to the wire I am) I am going to convince the hubby that we are going to plant something. Don't know what yet. Any suggestions? If you do have suggestions go easy on this novice planter!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Originally Posted by TTBABP View Post
OK - all the talk of the outdoors and gaerdeners and would be gardeners. I think in the next few weeks (after I get my taxes done - pushing it to the wire I am) I am going to convince the hubby that we are going to plant something. Don't know what yet. Any suggestions? If you do have suggestions go easy on this novice planter!
Herb garden!

Morning all. Getting ready to go to work soon. I didn't go to my meeting last night because I felt really tired and rundown. Meh
Old 04-03-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi everybody --

I'm still "under the weather" -- pretty tired of feeling sick & tired, too! At least I've been able to get some work done lately.

Everyone sounds good. I loved the red paint RAL family story!

We had a big garden when I was a kid, and I had a lot of yard when I lived in Arizona, but that's a pretty specialized climate for planting (plus I lost everything to grubs & voracious javelinas LOL). I ended up with a large collection of semi-succulents on the patio that I loved.

TTBABP, if you're thinking about starting with plants, you should think about how much space you have (windowsills, a patio, a small or a large yard). If you're talking outdoor planting, check out what your neighbors have -- what looks nice & seems to thrive? An herb garden or vegetables are great, but in NJ chances are the deer will get to anything tasty without a lot of protection. Also talk to the people at your local nursery -- they're the experts. I used to take my son to the plant nursery & wander, just for fun!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Thanks for the ideas Tam & Courage. I'll let you know what I do.

Sorry you are under the weather Courage. I really do hope you start feeling better soon. Hopefuly the weather here will start getting more "springy" and that may help.

Hope everyone else is doing well this fine Wednesday. I am very busy in work the next few days so will only check in sporadically but always keep all of you in my thoughts.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Morning all, just a quick check in. Busy week so far but have been staying ahead with a nice clear mind so instead of stress been feeling pretty good in general throughout the day and evenings. In the past that leads to trouble because I've been clearing stuff ahead so wind up leaving myself open to "nothing to do" aka **** away the whole weekend. Not happening this time, made myself my spring cleaning list that already has about 15 things on it. Going to shoot for knocking 2 or 3 off each day on the weekends, I'm sure while doing those things I will notice other things that can get added to the list. Already have a few things on it that are fairly involved that have just been getting put off for years to free up some drinking time. I used to have a pretty nice yard that I maintained well enough, but that has slid along with everything else the last few years, we aren't talking looking abandoned, but definately not up to my usual standards. Some wild rose bushes that are coming out that I am going to replace with Japanese Maples in the back etc. I didn't mind the roses but they were too all over the place and the lengths that bloomed the best were the ones that just crept along the ground that I wound up having to cut off anyways no matter how I tried tying them, staking them etc.

Going to the local hockey game tonight, the junior team here forced Game 7 in their playoff series so the place should be pretty rocking. Hope everyone has a good Wednesday.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Hey class!

TT - courage gave awesome advice to check with a local nursery and/or the neighbors. You want to seek low maintenance plants which the folks at the nursery can help you choose. Just remember that many plants need full sun to bloom while others will burn up in the sun. The best shade loving (low maintenance) are impatiens and will provide a burst of color in a pot or a bed.

Gardening has been my passion for many years except for last year when I was more focused on the beer runs. When I'd start drinking, nothing else was important but keeping the frig stocked. Now that I'm sober, I've taken time to ride my bike to various nurseries to peddle new plants home with any means possible.

Tam - sorry you're feeling run down and hope you're not getting sick.

Courage - hope you get well soon! The crud will end eventually and you'll feel better than ever.

gonzo - sounds like you have a working plan in action for spring. It sure beats sitting around getting drunk day after day.

For now I must leave and go have conversation with my flowers.

Everyone have a great, sober day!