Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 3

Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hello folks. I'm sober since the morning of 1/13/13 when I woke up with hangover XXXXX. Done with it. Thanks in advance for your support.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Just checking in.

Day 15 nearly over. Need to keep an eye on complacency.

Still eating too much after giving up the beer, but will deal with that later.

Keep going all
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck sobrietygirl

welcome cleareyes - that sounds really bad (the guy I mean)

I'm glad you're back tho.

welcome to you too woodhead

peacehappyness, I think everyone has those fears.

When you break it down all you need to do is what you did today. Don't drink.
All you need to do is not raise that glass to your lips.

Ok, it's not always easy, but it is pretty simple.
Don't freak yourself out by over-complicating it

it's really good to see so many people progressing along - keep it up guys!

D
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Just checking in to let you all know i'm still here. Day 2, quite a productive day today actually. Keep going everyone
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm from the class of December but I thought I would pop in here and give you some encouragement...

I started here at SR in September and didn't "Get It" until December... What ever happens just don't give up!!! Sobriety is sooooo worth it...

I hope you all have a safe and sober day!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

class..day 3 coming to a close, somewhat. it's only 5pm right now and at home but feeling good. No way I touch booze tonight. I WILL be on day 4 tomorrow.

good to see so many folks digging away at sobreity. it's good to be here as a group fighting this together. I do get a bit anxious when i look ahead - ski weekend coming up, my wife's birthday dinner, etc. and wonder how i'll do but i guess its not good to worry about the days ahead - just got to worry about today.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

day 15

Just got home from work and just really stressed out. very stressful day. trying to relax and let go. drinking was how I relaxed. I know it doesn't help. stress. how to deal with it. thanks for listening. glad everyone is still hanging in there. one day at a time.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found exercise was good for me, ruby - even just a walk around the block?

D
Old 01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Evening all. Day 13 and it's been a busy couple of days. One very good reason for staying sober this time around is that I've been having driving lessons. Yesterday's went really well and am now insured to drive my mum's car so heading out with either her or dad tomorrow to get some practice in. I live in the middle of nowhere and public transport is rotten so am reliant on my folks for getting anywhere. Having my license will give me so much more freedom and will mean I can actually have a social life again (rather than sitting in my room by myself drinking wine!). Am going to look into volunteering as well and set something up for when I get my test. Still have zero faith in my own ability and am nervous about going out with someone other than my instructor but need to man up and just do it!

Also had a chat with my mum about my sister tonight. She's still not talking to me but I feel that for now I need to be selfish in my new sobriety and that actually perhaps taking a break from each other is the best thing for the moment. I now know I can't handle her attitude towards my mum and dad and if I try to apologise and sort things out with her, it will end in a shouting match with pointless accusations being flung about all over the place. Mum seemed to accept this and didn't push me which is good!

Hope everyone's had a decent Tuesday. Will catch up on all your posts in the morning. Can't believe how quickly I get behind with reading them all. Go us for posting lots! :-)
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Day 15 and I wish I could say I'm in really good spirits, but the last couple of days have been very difficult in the late afternoons-evenings. The AV keeps telling me that there's no way I'll be able to keep this up much longer so I ought as well just give up now and stop depriving myself. I keep shutting the voice down as best I can, but it always gets me depressed before it goes away, and these last couple of days have been the hardest ones yet. You'd think it would get consistently easier, but this is a tricky addiction and will pop up again when you least expect it to drag you back down. I'm trying to remember how crappy I was feeling when drinking and how sick and tired I was of it all. And the thought of a relapse and starting over and going through all of this again is even more depressing, so I'll just continue to trudge along as best I can one more day at a time. Time to spend a few hours here on SR to build up my resistance more, I suppose. Good luck to everyone!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

The AV keeps telling me that there's no way I'll be able to keep this up much longer so I ought as well just give up now and stop depriving myself.
Rule #1 - the AV lies.

I think we all have self doubt - I certainly did.
I resolved to stay sober no matter what my head told me.

nearly 6 years on, I'm still here...
that chattering little imp on my shoulder isn't

D
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

day 15

I have been doing weights for exercise, but haven't done any aerobic, and it is too cold out to walk, brrr. I am grateful I didn't drink tonight and that you all are here to listen and understand and support and I will try to do the same for you. I also feel that if I drank things would be worse and even more stressful, because I would want to keep on drinking. I am starting to unwind a little, journal , deep breathes, <3
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee! I'll have to remember that "chattering little imp on my shoulder" comment next time I hear the AV - lol. Because it doesn't deserve a better name than that!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I read a couple of hours of posts last night to get me through. Decided to come out of the woodwork. Today is day 7 for me. Can't remember the last time I went a week without drinking. It has to be at least 20 years.

Trying to stay busy but it's difficult an my fuse is dang short a lot of the time.

Look forward to joining all of you at the two week mark. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hello,

I should post here. Today is my day one.

I really need to make it work this time.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Bout to finish day 14. I'm tired since I was working out legs last night and don't have a ounce of energy as I lay on my back and type this post through my phone. Feeling a bit down just thinking about my past from all the drug use and bottles of Cognac and Scotch I indulged in. Skip my work out today since I'm not in the mood to lift.

This morning I did encounter a massive headache. I started to feel dizziness so I walked outside to get some air and water. I got into panic mode but it only lasted about 5 minutes.

Read in a book about a guy who changed his life and habit by simply believing in free will. The guy was about 30 and a total failure. He decided to do a one year experiment on himself were he would practice the free will to change and believe that it could happen. He also a had a diary were he would write his ideal life and would not doubt anything he wrote. The following year the guy got married, got a job doing something he enjoyed and travel around the world. Sounds interesting.

Good night ya. I'm taking it down.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL I'll copyright the chattering imp thing

welcome Kelly and UpForIt

D
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Rule #1 - the AV lies.

I think we all have self doubt - I certainly did.
I resolved to stay sober no matter what my head told me.

nearly 6 years on, I'm still here...
that chattering little imp on my shoulder isn't

D
Question I know you probably can't answer, Dee - but how long before the chatter stopped?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Back again! It's 4.30 am and there's no chance I'm sleeping anytime soon. Have got horrible nausea tonight and it's freaking me out because I'm phobic about throwing up. This is the danger zone for me. There's no booze in the house but if I'm still feeling awful in the morning I'll be tempted to get some wine so I can 'test' if it's just anxiety nausea or if it's a stomach bug. This is where I've slipped in the past and I can't afford to this time. I've also spent a lot of time recently proving that my anxiety's much more under control than it used to be (which generally it has been). Means I've not been as vigilant about handwashing and things than I usually am, but my folks made such a huge drama out of the stupid phobia a couple of weeks ago that I've been trying to act 'normal' around them since. So not only might I have caught something from being careless I will also have to act like nothing's wrong in the morning otherwise I'll be shipped off to the psychiatrist and pumped full of more antidepressants (neither of which I feel are the answer). And to top it all off have had a lingering headache all day which is now working up to blinding but I don't want to take painkillers while my stomach's upset. Am tired and sad!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Question I know you probably can't answer, Dee - but how long before the chatter stopped?
for me there was a real shift by 90 days - the chatter didn't stop exactly but the gnawing urge to do something about it, like drink, faded...mostly, it just became silly thoughts I could shake off.

Times of crisis were still a little hairy for a while, but yeah - 90 days or so for me, I guess?

Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
Back again! It's 4.30 am and there's no chance I'm sleeping anytime soon. Have got horrible nausea tonight and it's freaking me out because I'm phobic about throwing up. This is the danger zone for me. There's no booze in the house but if I'm still feeling awful in the morning I'll be tempted to get some wine so I can 'test' if it's just anxiety nausea or if it's a stomach bug. This is where I've slipped in the past and I can't afford to this time. I've also spent a lot of time recently proving that my anxiety's much more under control than it used to be (which generally it has been). Means I've not been as vigilant about handwashing and things than I usually am, but my folks made such a huge drama out of the stupid phobia a couple of weeks ago that I've been trying to act 'normal' around them since. So not only might I have caught something from being careless I will also have to act like nothing's wrong in the morning otherwise I'll be shipped off to the psychiatrist and pumped full of more antidepressants (neither of which I feel are the answer). And to top it all off have had a lingering headache all day which is now working up to blinding but I don't want to take painkillers while my stomach's upset. Am tired and sad!
If you've caught something Kam it's not from being careless - I don;t believe anyone can hold back germs

If it's anxiety, thinking about it is not going to help - try and just let it go - whatever it is you'll soon find out one way or the other - if you need to, go see your Dr....drinking would be a really maladjusted way to deal with it - remember back to last time?

D