Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 3

Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
I was just looking at my SR join date. Very nearly a year ago. I see some of you also joined during 2012 and I guess this quitting thing is a learning curve. I have been using alcohol as a coping mechanism for such a long time now. I think I first contacted AA about 3 and a half years ago (it turned out not to be for me) but it's amazing how long I have been playing with the idea of quitting, only to return to my old ways. I think it's about time for me to big up and find some other ways to cope.

Congratulations on getting through your day 14, Reeny, and to everybody else graduating later today.
Thanks, bounced. And hang in there - I'm rooting for you and the rest of the team!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 14 the optism of last week seems to be replaced the last few days with a quiet melancholy Apart from feeling constantly tired due to the vivid dreams, withdrawal symptoms have gone and so as the novelty and determination of being newly sober its easy to forget what a low place I was in.. Av seems to realise this vulnerable time and works overtime just one won't harm etc ahhhhhhhh. This is when I have folded in the past but not this time it's not worth it.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Good morning, Day 4! I am now passed the worst of the physical withdrawal, which really wasn't too bad this time. Doing the things I've learned here and continuing to read to learn more. It is cold and rainy this morning - a great day for a warm cup of coffee.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
Glad to have woken up feeling good this Monday morning. I even woke up early and dyed my hair - something that I've been meaning to do for at least two weeks now. So happy to see how many had a successful weekend and I'm glad to join your ranks!

For everyone that is struggling, I have done it...and done it...and done it. Once you have truly decided that you have had enough, make the decision and make some changes. It truly is amazing how much easier it is once you truly surrender. I have not had the desire to drink in over a week. Not once. Since I started drinking alcoholically, approximately half of my life ago, I have not gone longer than 4 days without the desire to drink. I know that my last drunk will be my last drunk. Any lower of a bottom will mean that someone has died, either me or someone else by my hand. That's all that is left. And I will not let that happen, not ever.

I went to the hospital to fill out my intake paperwork this morning. I start treatment tomorrow night. I am so grateful that they could get me in so soon. I have put more effort into my sobriety and my future in the last week than I have probably in the last two years combined. It's my walk of shame and my liberation, all at the same time. I have no idea where I will be at this time next year, this time next month, or even this time next week, but I know that there is finally hope in my future. Everyone here and in all other aspects of my recovery program have kept me strong and positive. I will forever be in the class of January, 2013.
Truly inspiring, Sobrietygirl! Good luck with your treatment. All up from here.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosieblue View Post
Day 14 the optism of last week seems to be replaced the last few days with a quiet melancholy Apart from feeling constantly tired due to the vivid dreams, withdrawal symptoms have gone and so as the novelty and determination of being newly sober its easy to forget what a low place I was in.. Av seems to realise this vulnerable time and works overtime just one won't harm etc ahhhhhhhh. This is when I have folded in the past but not this time it's not worth it.
Thanks RB be strong. This is the beginning of day 11, and last night I just felt like an alien at a meeting (where I usually can find some hope or something to identify with). Crazy dreams, too, although maybe because I ate just before bed. I get thirsty and AV starts spinning things around about the futility of our lives and things not mattering... But drinks have not helped this for me, that's what I'm trying to keep in mind.

Thanks for sharing, whenever someone else describes something like what I've got going on, it makes it a little easier to try.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Would you believe it?

After a beautiful start, it is now snowing here! I know there has been quite a bit of snow back in Blighty...brrrrr.

Ok, so I booked a full health assessment for the first week in March. Good initial target but I need to be cautious too because last time I had a medical about 2 years ago I came up clean as a whistle. So what did my AV say? "No harm done buddy, back to business as usual".

I have also decided to actually do some stuff this year rather than just talking about it. I want to do some Thai cookery classes and I want to learn to ride a horse too. That should keep me busy for a bit. Oh and I want to go to a buddhist retreat -- so far I have been too scared about going (partly because I didn't want to go through cold turkey whilst there and partly because they don't eat after midday. Crickey, I don't usually eat before midday!!)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

On day three here. Slept last night - vivid dreams, but better than being up all night shaking and sick to my stomach. Still feel like I will take a month of sleep before I feel "rested" Nearly slipped last night - driving home I was so tempted to just stop and get a little mini. AV saying, what could it hurt...but I went home instead. The last few times I have tried to stop - days 3 and 4 were the worst - detox symptoms mostly abated and AV keeps screaming at me "one won't hurt". I am going to have to be extra vigilant the next few days to keep AV at bay.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

day 3 for me here (although this is the 3rd attempt at day 3). feeling good. had no urges last night so all is well so far. good luck to everyone. just one day at a time to beat this.

anyone else have a calendar on their wall/desk that they put a big fat "X" in the day(s) you don't drink. It's nice to see it filling up. although I am only on day 3 I have only drank twice since Jan. 1st so my calendar has 11 X's in it. I like what i see
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by halfvictory View Post
day 3 for me here (although this is the 3rd attempt at day 3). feeling good. had no urges last night so all is well so far. good luck to everyone. just one day at a time to beat this.

anyone else have a calendar on their wall/desk that they put a big fat "X" in the day(s) you don't drink. It's nice to see it filling up. although I am only on day 3 I have only drank twice since Jan. 1st so my calendar has 11 X's in it. I like what i see
Good to see you back in the groove Half. You still have plenty of January left to make more X's! Freev - welcome too, glad the symptoms are abating. On day 9 here and I've still got some residual effects, I'm guessing it will be weeks if not months before i'm back to 100%, but I do feel much better.

Best of luck to all today, looking forward to double digits tomorrow for myself.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
On day 9 here and I've still got some residual effects, I'm guessing it will be weeks if not months before i'm back to 100%, but I do feel much better.
Heehee, I heard a quote at a meeting last night... 'It takes five years to get your health back, ten years to get your mind back, and, at fifteen years, you wonder if you actually wanted them back.'

I'm on day 9 and feeling WAY better, too. It's nice to be able to put on makeup without having to steady my arm on the counter to do it. I even woke up an hour early this morning to go to a 7 am meeting. A little over a week ago, and I was barely dragging myself out of bed to get ready for work at 7 am. And what a great way to start the day... Immersing myself in sobriety right now feels like a hot bath on a frigid day!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

I'm going to jump in here. I was doing pretty good then messed up pretty badly Wednesday. I used a stupid excuse. Went to a client's office and he mentioned that he had heard the same rumor that I had (that we were having an affair). Of course we aren't but next thing I knew he grabbed me and kissed me. Then kept trying to get me to meet him somewhere. I got out of there but was shook up and of course used that as an excuse. BAD I know.

SO anyway, I met with my sponser at AA for the first time yesterday and am going to start working on the steps!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 13 today.

the last couple of evenings have been tough, very figitty with cravings, found myself raiding the fridge. Trying to stay busy with one arm in a cast and will be glad when i can exercise again. i was worried about the prescribed pain killers after the surgery but they haven't been a problem and im now on motrin.

to everyone who slipped, its good to see your still here. keep your perseverance and focus to stay sober. the fact you stayed showed a lot of character.

wishing everyone the best for today, forgive the typing, its the one finger peck and with my weak hand.

gsp
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Holy s***.... I actually called (OK, texted) someone that I just met in AA last night and then answered the phone when she called back. Talk about getting out of my comfort zone! I always treated those phone numbers as a last resort even though everyone says, "You've got some numbers - USE THEM!" How's that for following the suggestions?? Each little baby step is another tool in my toolbox.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Checking in here so no one worries about little me . . . day 2 or 13 depending on if you mean "since last drink" or "since last drunk" . . . in any case, I still like being in the Jan 13 club!

One thing that has helped me: Kindle! It is so addictive, instead of drinking I get in bed early and read a couple of books in parallel. And it costs nothing because you can log into your local library and download a big assortment of fiction and non-fiction. So saving money, my mind, AND my liver.

Glad to hear of the successes and the successful recoveries from stumbles!!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Last night I slept through the whole night! First time in ages and felt rested. Wow. Kids at playschool 9-3 today yipee I tidied cleaned utility room, bathroom and kitchen. Did 4 loads of washing and put it away, tidied bedrooms, attacked cobwebs (little blighters appear from nowhere) and did alteration on hubby's new trousers. Feel brilliant.

Keep up the good work everyone on day 15 here! Half way to a whole month sober!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 10 here and just feeling a bit blah, pretty tired and fed up, can hear my AV muttering away but totally ignoring it. Guess Im just really worried that I wont be able to maintain sobriety. I havent got any plans to drink and I dont want to but scared I wont manage to stay sober in the long term ive tried so many times before and have relapsed. Just having a yeuky off day really. Going to have a bath and an early night and hopefully will feel better in the morning. Hope you are all well and sober X
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post
Kindle! It is so addictive, instead of drinking I get in bed early and read a couple of books in parallel. And it costs nothing because you can log into your local library and download a big assortment of fiction and non-fiction. So saving money, my mind, AND my liver.

Glad to hear of the successes and the successful recoveries from stumbles!!
Love this. I'm upping my reading intake as well. Amazing, when you can actually remember the last page you read. On day 14 here. WOOT! I still can't get over how deeply I'm sleeping. I'd always believed the lie that alcohol helps you sleep. Maybe it helps you "knock out," but for deep, truly restful sleep, the sober life wins.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Guess Im just really worried that I wont be able to maintain sobriety. I havent got any plans to drink and I dont want to but scared I wont manage to stay sober in the long term ive tried so many times before and have relapsed.
I know how you feel on this, Peacehappyness. I went through a fair bit of self doubt around 10 to 12 days and now I am ok again. Like Dee says, recovery is not a straight line progression but a roller coaster ride and I think we can expect some more ups and downs along the way.

Be really proud of yourself. 10 days is absolutely fantastic. If this thing was easy then none of us would be here.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi everyone, day 10 here and just feeling a bit blah, pretty tired and fed up, can hear my AV muttering away but totally ignoring it. Guess Im just really worried that I wont be able to maintain sobriety. I havent got any plans to drink and I dont want to but scared I wont manage to stay sober in the long term ive tried so many times before and have relapsed. Just having a yeuky off day really. Going to have a bath and an early night and hopefully will feel better in the morning. Hope you are all well and sober X
I hear ya, I'm having trouble being positive. I'll keep ignoring my AV if you ignore yours I think it's a good plan to just call it a day early, yesterday I was in bed by 9:30, doubt I'll be up much later than that tonight.

I was invited to a meeting tonight by a friend who has been trying to keep it alive there, there will probably be 10 people there tops.... I guess it's a good time for me to say yes and show up, gets me out of myself at least for an hour.

Keep on keepin' on Jan 2013 !
Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks guys ! Its good to know people are feeling the same way at times and it passes.

Sober1ck, ok its a deal, Ive got my ear plugs in and humming songs in my head, scary though I cant even hum in tune in my head, ha I reckon my singing will scare that AV right away!!!