Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 3

Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
For everyone that is struggling, I have done it...and done it...and done it. Once you have truly decided that you have had enough, make the decision and make some changes. It truly is amazing how much easier it is once you truly surrender. I have not had the desire to drink in over a week. Not once.
Right on the money, sobrietygrl4.

The best part about SR is that we are amongst other people who are experiencing the same thing as us - quite a bonding experience if I might say so? I could never understand why non alcoholics thought they knew so much about recovery. I mean, we are the damned experts here, right? We took the practical course in alcoholism!!

Welcome to all the newbies. Really nice to see new faces around here.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BennyB View Post
Day 1 here. More than ready for sustained sobriety!
Welcome Benny. Great group here, ask lots of questions and read lots. We are here to help you and hope you can help us as well!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

sobrietygrl love your sig. Hope my standards don't get any lower. As much as I've dragged myself through, it still crosses my mind that maybe it wasn't so bad, I'm still alive after all... AV is a real nut case. Just trying to hang on.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi shipmates, wow this thread moves fast so many pages already!! Im ending day 9 here and first unhungover/not still drunk Monday at work for the longest time. A huge relief not to be dealing with the paranoia and despair of a hangover on a Monday morning never mind the sweats and shakes I usually had. Still spending most of my free time reading and posting on SR but if Ive got to glue myself here for the forseable future to help sobriety Im more than happy to. There are a couple of new threads which are truly inspirational, Hevyn reaching five years sobriety and Purplecatlover reaching one, check tham out folks, leave them a huge congratulations and remember that can be us in a year and five years time !:ghug3
Old 01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

coming to the end of the day for day 2 for me (still have the evening/night to go) and feeling good. Good luck to everyone tonight.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Congratulations halfvictory - my day 2 too! Physical symptoms seem a little better - actually starting to feel like eating something for the first time in two days.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Crickey, it seemed like a long day today! A bit like watching a kettle boil.

Got there in the end though. 2 weeks in the bag
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you slipped Grindilow justtoday3030 halfvictory and raja but I'm glad you're all here again.

I think it's important to think off what you need to add this time to make recovery stick...do you guys have any ideas?

welcome freev and BennyB - my advice would be the same to you guys too

It's tough times these days Dorris - for everyone not just folks like us.

If you're really having a hard time meeting your creditors most countries have a free debt counselling service

there's actually quite a few services in the UK...google around or for a start give this link a click

National Debtline – Free, Confidential Debt Advice – Call 0808 808 4000

congratulations to everyone hitting that 14 day mark - awesome!

D
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks dee that is so thoughtful, we are just about keep our heads above water and after talking it through with my husband I feel a little brighter x
Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

day 14

2 weeks today! this is the longest in forever I have gone without drinking/being sober. not thinking about it or craving it as much, still avoiding places, parties where it would be too tempting, not good at saying no. so happy for all of you also on day 14, and to all of you, and if you slipped glad you are back!! thanks for all the inspiration and encouragement. i will try to come on in evenings and weekends are better for me as i am in a hurry in the morning usually. we can do this class January 2013!
Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Ruby

D
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hey class - congratulations on making good choices and staying stopped. One year ago today I experienced the first day of the rest of my life by quitting the booze. Today I celebrated one full year of continuous sobriety and the first day of a brand new job in a brand new town with a brand new feeling - happiness! If I can do it, everyone can do it. Don't stop walking the path. Don't waiver. Lean on each other and your higher power. It can be done and you all are just the ones to do it! Love and hugs, NBC
Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nonblondechef View Post
Hey class - congratulations on making good choices and staying stopped. One year ago today I experienced the first day of the rest of my life by quitting the booze. Today I celebrated one full year of continuous sobriety and the first day of a brand new job in a brand new town with a brand new feeling - happiness! If I can do it, everyone can do it. Don't stop walking the path. Don't waiver. Lean on each other and your higher power. It can be done and you all are just the ones to do it! Love and hugs, NBC
Congratulations NBC that is great, and thanks for the encouragement!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:16 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Looking at calendar this afternoon, AV said quietly: "Stop by that reception after work, you can grab a couple of glasses of wine before you get home." I blinked and said, "huh? say again?" AV went quiet. It couldn't stand being challenged face-to-face I guess. That was a day-maker.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Howdy classmates. Just an hour left on day 8 here for me. Starting to see some splinters of light at the end of the tunnel physically, not nearly 100% but I think my body is happy I'm not polluting it daily anymore. Hope everyone is doing well, good vibes to those chalking up another day and mojo to those that have faltered yet rejoined.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Today is the end of Day 14 for me! Halfway through the month and feeling good. My husband and I sort of had a talk about what is going on last night. I think he was a little confused, but got the picture and is totally supportive. He even said he would quit drinking but I said absolutedly not, he can enjoy the one beer a month he usually has only 1/2 of, and I don't want to take that away from him!! I'm going to a work related "mixer" tomorrow night but am not worried about drinking. As I've said before, I'm not really tempted by social situations, I usually preferred to get loaded all by myself. So it will be soda and free appetizers for me! I'm actually looking forward to it, and not to be weird but I actually enjoy going to work more now. I thought I hated my job but it really isn't that bad when I'm not having to take several trips to the ladies room to throw up.

Something I noticed today, I quickly walked up a flight of stairs while working at a particular property. Last time I was there I did the same exact thing, and remember feeling just out of breath, in physical pain, overall like crap. This time, I felt perfectly fine, not out of breath, not about to keel over. I haven't started exercising yet (which I intend to start soon) but I'm pretty sure that just quitting drinking alone made that small win possible today. I felt like it was my body telling me "good for you!"

I'm on Day 15 tomorrow, halfway to a full 30 days!! Stay strong everyone!

Last edited by Lunetta; 01-14-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added my stairs story
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Morning class, day 15 and I'm feling a bit better today

I was glad to get yesterday over and done with but I knew it was not going to be easy.

Bounced - your right about feeling cleansed, thanks for sharing. I thought I was crazy because that's how it felt when I was permanently deleting facebook, I felt like I was getting rid of all the baggage lol.

I am reading eveyones post and your all doing so well, glad to see you still posting, it keeps me going and today we're half way through January

Have a nice day all xxx
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Mixed feelings this morning.

Humbled by nonblondchef: I remember seeing her posting around February last year so when I saw her moniker this morning, my heart sank, thinking that she might be back on day 1...and then relief and joy when reading her message and then shame because I failed to achieve what she did last year and then hope that I might be able to do it this year and.....I need a session with my counsellor!

Day 15 and I am feeling that I need to up my game plan (and part of that might be to rely a little less on SR than I have been to date but still wanting the cameraderie of it and to be able to encourage others as part of my recovery). I definitely need a session with my counsellor!!

Really beautiful sunny day here in Italy and England is doing really well in the cricket in India so life could be a whole lot worse, eh?

Originally Posted by nonblondechef View Post
It can be done and you all are just the ones to do it!
That's us! We can do this!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Day 15. Tomorrow I leave for a one week visit with my mom in Arizona. The break will be good, but it will bring a new collection of temptations to drink. I'm feeling okay, but will, of course, need to remain vigilant. One thing that has helped me the past two weeks is besides cutting alcohol out of my life, I have added some healthy pursuits such as running and healthier eating. Those good habits help fill the void left by alcohol and also reinforce the good I'm doing for my body. I hope to get in numerous quality runs, walks, and hikes in the Arizona desert in the coming days. Good food for my soul.

The downside is that I'll essentially be off-line for a week. I look forward to returning here next week and reading about everyone's victories. Keep fighting the good fight, people. We can do this!
Have a great time, WhoDey, and stay strong! I'm on Day 15 too and it's been one of my best yet. When Dee said yesterday, "stand your guard," I suddenly reconceptulised the whole drinking thing. For me, it's not so much that it's a temptation or even a toxic friend (although of course it's both). No, it's my enemy and one that's really harmed my life. I refuse to be beaten.

Look forward to when you log back in, WD!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raja12 View Post
Hope class of January has room for 1 more. Yes, I had a slip last pm. I was almost at 40 days too. I just gave in 2 my emotions and had a few beers. It stopped there,but I'm overwhelmed with guilt and so disappointed in myself. Not 2 mention I feel horrible. I didn't do the things I needed 2 do. I didn't call my sponser. I didn't fight it. So here I am back on day 1. I'm wondering if I will ever get this right? I certainly don't want live the rest of my life this way. Back on track 2day.
Welcome, Raja. Sorry to hear about your slip but you're here and, as bounced has quoted from the Nina Simone song, it's a new day.