Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 3

Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisamum View Post
I am now on day 14! I am still in shock.
Cracking job, Lisamum!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 15 is underway. Two weeks without drinking.

In the spirit of sharing, I thought I'd tell you a bit about my reasons for quitting drinking. I look at alcohol as a "little death" in my life. I usually only have a couple of beers every few nights, I don't recall ever blacking out, I don't drink and drive, and I don't wake up in the morning with horrible hangovers. But alcohol still affects me. It's like drinking a can of sugary soda pop. One can won't hurt you... but three or four cans a day, every day, will eventually make you very unhealthy.

During the past few years alcohol has become a habit for me. I'd look forward to evenings when I'd get to have a few beers. After a hard day of work I would really start looking forward to having a drink or two. What was once a weekend thing turned into an every couple of days thing. I also noticed that I was sluggish and fuzzy-headed a lot of the time. Mornings after drinking, while not catastrophic, tended to be more difficult than mornings after a good, restful sleep.

Reading the Big Book and the stories inside made me question whether or not I am a true "alcoholic", but my point is that it doesn't matter whether or not I am an alcoholic - I realize that my life is better without drinking. I feel better, I get more sleep, and I don't get that nagging feeling that I'm very slowly killing myself.

For those of you who are in my boat, you may have a hard time quitting drinking because you don't feel that you have a "real problem" with alcohol. It's very easy to justify having a few drinks every couple of days if you feel you continue to have control over how much you drink and how often. Well, the other day someone offered me a glass of wine, and for a moment I considered drinking it... after all, I don't have a real problem with alcohol. But the fact that I considered taking a drink after only two weeks of not drinking made me think... maybe that means I do have a problem!

This will be my biggest challenge going forward... not having the big problems that I read about in the Big Book or on the boards. I realize that not having a big problem with drinking doesn't mean that I don't have a problem.

In December I made a resolution to not drink during 2013 and I plan to keep this resolution. If your story is similar to mine and you're and in the class of January 2013, I'm glad to be in your company. Let's do this thing.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

hey class. Had my 2nd slip up this past weekend so I am back to the starting line; actually day 2 at this point. Saturday night I slipped up and it's amazing how I just felt like throwing in the towel on Sunday just b/c of a minor slip up the night before. But, I held firm and didn't touch a drop; which has given me an added boost today.

stay strong everyone.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ruffian ... Thank you for your post. I was in a similar position, although I was drinking every day. I would rationalize my drinking by thinking that I wasn't as bad as others. You don't have to hit "rock bottom" (whatever that is) to realize that alcohol is having a negative effect on your life.

I first quit a little over a year ago and after a month of no alcohol thought I could learn to drink in moderation. That worked at first, but over the course of months I ended up drinking too much. That may have been a valuable lesson as I now understand that moderation is not something I can do ... nor is it something I have to embrace to have a good life. Life without alcohol is much better than a life with alcohol ... at least in my case.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good morning all, what a lovely Monday...not!.. Its 21 degrees here in Illinois!...lol.. Well we are half way through this month, keep up the good work class just remember the positives of not drinking!...Last year when I quit drinking Jan.2012, I didn't give up the smokes. I would drink my coffee in my alcoholic way and chain smoke downstairs by the fireplace. This year I decided to quit smoking, I actually have had more craving to smoke,then to drink....crazy..Oh well just rattling,.. Hope everyone has a marvelous Monday
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Ruffian:

You just described me. I do have the occasional blackout, throwing up, etc. night but my problem was that I just HAD to ahve my beer or 2 every night. Some people might think that's not a big deal but my beer or 2 always made it easier for me to pound 8-9 on a weekend night.

Everyday I looked forward to my beers to the point that I craved them. this is when i realized this isn't healthy. I saw myself going down a slippery slope and decided to grab a ledge now before i got closer to the bottom.

I've told my story before but I'm a marathon runner and in some ways I justified my drinking because I ran so much.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and well done on making it through the weekend.

Today it's day 14 and it's been a tough one so far
I spent the whole mornig working out what bills we have, what debts need to be paid, how much we got coming in and how much we have left to live on. NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!

It's really shocking how we ignored the fact we were skint but carried on living the same way by putting it all on plastic.

I took my dog for a walk to try and clear so head space, it helped a little I told myself I can't keep dwelling on the past, it's done now just need to find a way out.

I also removed myself of face book, I had all these friends but none of them real friends, I don't even speak to them on there never mind have their number in my phone book. False Book I was wasting so much time sitting here be nosey at them all and for what nothing.

Gosh I really am having a bad day and it's a day like this I could do with a few drinks to take away this awful feeling.

I won't, I will go to bed early because I know tomorrow will be a different day.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone. Just got to work and leaving early, so it will be a busy day. Just wanted to check in and say hello. I am going to a concert tonight, which will be an interesting experience sober. Imagine that---going to a concert and actually remembering it?!?!?! Mind officially blown Have a good day all!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post
Hi raja12

I am finally getting around to the idea that this needs to be a permanent way of life and the counting thing is just to get through the toughest part at the beginning. In fact, I think the day counting can become a hindrance after a while.
Yes, totally agree with that bounced. I am counting for now but I think after a certain point (haven't decided what that is yet but I'm thinking 90 days sounds good) I will stop. I think then I can legitimately say it's got to be a permament thing, something I can rely on a little more. which is not to say I would take it for granted though....
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

One week in!

Made it past 7 days. Played poker with buddies over the weekend and won! They were supportive the whole time - even when I took their money. Felt amazing to play with a clear head for the first time.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 13 for me. Made it past 2 weekends with temptations and every body offering me drinks. I just said no in a kindly matter and kept it moving.

Let's keep it sober..
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 2 again for the umpteenth time. Really need to get a handle on this before my health declines. I am a 32 year old female and can drink about 18 beers and still clean my house and cook dinner. In the past 4 years I only have a couple months under my belt. This may sound vain but I really want to quit because I have gaind about 35 lbs. Picking up my treadclimber today and plan on using it during my craving time which is about 5:00 when I get home from work and ride out the craving wave and sweat out some of the poison I have been consuming for years!!! Wish me luck and I will do the same for all of you!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hiya Dorris

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. Great to see you posting though, I was getting worried we hadn't heard from you.

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
Today it's day 14 and it's been a tough one so far
I spent the whole mornig working out what bills we have, what debts need to be paid, how much we got coming in and how much we have left to live on. NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!

It's really shocking how we ignored the fact we were skint but carried on living the same way by putting it all on plastic..
We have done this loads of times. The really good thing is that once you actually face up to it, you feel soooo much better. And once you start prioritising your payments and minimizing any interst charges, you finally feel you can take charge again. Best of luck with all that.

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
I also removed myself of face book
I've done that too. I feel quite cleansed!!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Glad to have woken up feeling good this Monday morning. I even woke up early and dyed my hair - something that I've been meaning to do for at least two weeks now. So happy to see how many had a successful weekend and I'm glad to join your ranks!

For everyone that is struggling, I have done it...and done it...and done it. Once you have truly decided that you have had enough, make the decision and make some changes. It truly is amazing how much easier it is once you truly surrender. I have not had the desire to drink in over a week. Not once. Since I started drinking alcoholically, approximately half of my life ago, I have not gone longer than 4 days without the desire to drink. I know that my last drunk will be my last drunk. Any lower of a bottom will mean that someone has died, either me or someone else by my hand. That's all that is left. And I will not let that happen, not ever.

I went to the hospital to fill out my intake paperwork this morning. I start treatment tomorrow night. I am so grateful that they could get me in so soon. I have put more effort into my sobriety and my future in the last week than I have probably in the last two years combined. It's my walk of shame and my liberation, all at the same time. I have no idea where I will be at this time next year, this time next month, or even this time next week, but I know that there is finally hope in my future. Everyone here and in all other aspects of my recovery program have kept me strong and positive. I will forever be in the class of January, 2013.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

On day two hear. Feeling shaky and still queasy, but better than the last day and a half.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 1 here. More than ready for sustained sobriety!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks so much lisamum,bounced and the class of January. I needed to hear those positive thoughts . I really apperciate it. Lisamum,congrats on your 2 weeks. Bounced I'm sorry you had setbacks too. But I'm going to learn from this and trudge forward. I agree,the counting gets 2 me a little too. Thanks again class of January.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
Glad to have woken up feeling good this Monday morning. I even woke up early and dyed my hair - something that I've been meaning to do for at least two weeks now. So happy to see how many had a successful weekend and I'm glad to join your ranks!

For everyone that is struggling, I have done it...and done it...and done it. Once you have truly decided that you have had enough, make the decision and make some changes. It truly is amazing how much easier it is once you truly surrender. I have not had the desire to drink in over a week. Not once. Since I started drinking alcoholically, approximately half of my life ago, I have not gone longer than 4 days without the desire to drink. I know that my last drunk will be my last drunk. Any lower of a bottom will mean that someone has died, either me or someone else by my hand. That's all that is left. And I will not let that happen, not ever.

I went to the hospital to fill out my intake paperwork this morning. I start treatment tomorrow night. I am so grateful that they could get me in so soon. I have put more effort into my sobriety and my future in the last week than I have probably in the last two years combined. It's my walk of shame and my liberation, all at the same time. I have no idea where I will be at this time next year, this time next month, or even this time next week, but I know that there is finally hope in my future. Everyone here and in all other aspects of my recovery program have kept me strong and positive. I will forever be in the class of January, 2013.
I talked to a police officer once who told me that a surprising number of people are relieved when they get busted for DUI because they are finally forced to address their alcohol problems.

The optimism...the reward for things to come...this makes the guilt and shame worthwhile.

You're taking some hard steps. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Almost at the end of day 14. This past weekend was weird. I had my kids Friday night and dropped them off to their mum at 2pm Saturday. I used to live for these weekends....no responsibility from early Sat. afternoon until Monday morning. I so looked forward to drinking the rest of the day Sat until I passed out, then getting up in the middle of the night, drinking to pass out again, then getting up Sunday and drinking all day again.

This weekend was different. Had a good time at the gym with my kids on Friday and then spent a sober evening with them. I spent all day Sat and Sun addressing many of the little household things I was always too drunk, tired, or hungover to do. The time flew by.

We're almost halfway through the month. Time flies, doesn't it?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Grindlow, Raja 12 & Halfvictory - sorry to hear of your slip ups but glad you are right back on and staying with the group. January isn't even half over yet so you have plenty of time to get back to your goal. I'ts a wary reminder for all of us how careful we need to be.

Working on day 8 myself, first "sober" monday back to work since my previous attempt here back in June. Still have some fogginess and gastro issues, I think my body is still trying to figure out what the hell happened. Having said that, I actually slept for almost 7 hours last night which felt really good.

Congrats to the rest of the class for all of your accomplishments and starting "thread 3" - its a very active group. Let's see how quick we can get to thread 4!