Notices

Class of January 2013

Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well one day down, joining sr is the first step in my action plan contacting a counselor tommorrow to discuss more options. My life has been a on and off the wagon roller coaster ride for the last 8 years and the time is now to get off the ride. I had 2 years sober when I married my wife and owe it to her and myself to get things right. Just want to thank everyone for being here and wishing you all a happy new year in 2013. Moving forward with no regrets.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hello January 2013 class, I joined SR a year ago I was sober 6 1/2 months and relapsed. I stayed on S.R thru my relapse struggles and hung tight to my January 2012 class.. Its a new year and I want to make a solid comment to myself and thought I would join the January 2013 class, looking forward to getting to know you all.....Dee, thank you for all the support you gave me in the last year I am forever grateful my friend ...I slipped and fell on my bad leg so I'm going to stay in bed for a few days and ice it, it hurts like crazy!... Lets do this together January 2013 class!!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Big ups to the January 2013 class! Let's start this year off on the right foot!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone! First time in a "class". Actually quit on the 30th but wanted to join a new class! Hope everyone stayed strong last night. I did! Woot!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit anxious this morning ... pacing ... with a headache.

I just finished putting together the New Year's Day staple of black-eyed pea soup which needs to cook for an hour or so.

Besides the physical aspect of addiction, I'm becoming aware of the psychological dimension. When something's a habit ... something you always do ... what do you do in its absence? I definitely will need to stay busy and find something to occupy what used to be my drinking time.

Stay strong.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm joining January class...

Was in September...however had a slip up late in December...
I can both use the support and hopefully provide some support.

Jim.

PS WhoDey...Welcome back...You can do it..
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Happy New Year to all.
2012 seems to have been about trying, I intend to make 2013 about DOING.

To do:
Get rid of all the booze.
Check.

Keeping it simple cuz everything else is complicated enough.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Jim ... How has your year been?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Happy New Year to all.
Even though I was not successful in 2012, I think, at least for me, there was value in the attempt. A year ago I harbored the thought of being able to drink in moderation once I broke the habit of heavy drinking. While I did reduce the amount of drinking, the trajectory was the same. Alcohol was diminishing everything that was of value in my life ... my family, my work, my hobbies, my health ... you name it. Alcohol did not positively enhance a single element of my life.

That being the case, moderation is not my goal. Instead, a life without alcohol at any level, is my goal.

Those who stumble ... don't beat yourself up. Learn from it and then pick yourself up when you can and try again. Falling isn't the problem. Failing to get up is.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

sign me up, happy new year to all.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Happy New Year to all.

To do:
Check.

And may I echo that sentiment - had a similar experience. I, too, did a lot of trying in 2012, and even made some progress, but 2013 for me, too, is about DOING. I had more sober days in 2012 than I have in the previous decade, but now I'm ready to lay it down for good. The champagne didn't even taste good last night, but I drank it anyway, as I knew it would be my last alcohol. All I could think of was marking an end to my hellish existence.

Here's to Day One of the rest of our lives! I'm so ready to have a clear head and a healthier body!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Count me in!

Last night - new years eve - I had absconded in secret to the coastal town of Brighton, in the UK. Still shaking myself to pieces from the previous day's drinking, I merely paced around my hotel room, sipping wine. At midnight I emptied the bottle, put a note inside to declare my intentions and walked down to the shoreline. I took a breath and threw the bottle into the rolling surf.

I'd sealed my alcoholism inside that bottle and now I hope it will always lie at the bottom of the ocean. Where it belongs.

I can't do it anymore. Here's to a sober and happy 2013.

Good to back, SR
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by Hudstar View Post
Last night - new years eve - I had absconded in secret to the coastal town of Brighton, in the UK. Still shaking myself to pieces from the previous day's drinking, I merely paced around my hotel room, sipping wine. At midnight I emptied the bottle, put a note inside to declare my intentions and walked down to the shoreline. I took a breath and threw the bottle into the rolling surf.

I'd sealed my alcoholism inside that bottle and now I hope it will always lie at the bottom of the ocean. Where it belongs.

Good to back, SR
Very cool.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome to you all! This is the best decision you can make for yourselves. Be selfish - this IS all about YOU! Stay busy, make a plan to avoid the beast. Don't listen to anything other than your repetetive mantra of I CAN DO THIS - and you know what? You can, and you will. Sobriety = shamelessness. I wish each and everyone of you amazing people success, happiness, and sobriety. Good job, all!!
Hugs,

Tammi
Class of January 2012
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyoness View Post
I started my recovery in Oct, had a few slips along the way. I'm using medication to help the beginning of my journey and that along with some mental kicks has kept me from clearly joining this. I decided if I felt clearer that I would like to join the 2013 thread, so here I am! And glad to be here.

One thing that's helped me get here is to finally realize, after reading it so many times and finally starting to GET it--is to be easier on myself. To stop expecting perfection and to just start accepting myself, right now, where I am in my journey. Whew! Feels a lot better so I'm going to keep feeding this way of thinking.

Congratulations to all of us stepping forward. May this year be a year of brightness, clarity, self-love and beautiful recovery.

Sounds like lots of great reflection and the perfect way to start the new year Lyoness!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hudstar View Post

Good to back, SR
What a great symbol to start your new life, welcome Hudstar!! You can do this.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post
Today will officially be my Day 1, even though I didn't drink last night. I used last night as the springboard. Dee helped to remind me to use Urge Surfing last night. This and a cup of tea helped in washing the urges over me.

I also thanked God last night for giving me the opportunity to make a change. I'm not a religious man, but I felt compelled to give thanks.

I'm siting down with pen and paper today to work on a plan to become debt free. I can free up $200-250 a month to help. I also have my first grandchild on the way in March. I rounded 40 last year. I'm hoping 2013 brings positive change.

Happy New Year.
Sounds like a great plan FDM! I made a financial plan when I first started too. We were behind on our mortgage, I called them and they put us on a modification that will allow us to repay a little more each month starting January 30th, then the next payment Feb. 1st goes back to the regular payment, I also listed all of our debt, and I am tackling one credit card at a time. I started with the lowest balance, and then just keep adding that amount to the next lowest when paid. It might take a little more than a year, but it is progress. Also, saving all of my wine money, and bottle returns in an envelope for a trip to NY to see my family next summer. Cancelled a few things I didn't need, but added two things for my mental and physical sanity as well. Balance.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 9yearsgone View Post
I am done. I can recall having my son almost 9 years ago, and I also recall starting to drink vodka shortly after.

It has been non-stop for almost 9 years.

I dont respect myself for my lack of discipline. I used to be lots of things, and I feel alcohol has torn that away from me.

Used to be in great shape and workout everyday, used to have discipline to get my secondary studies done (masters degree), used to enjoy football on sundays without a drink, used to go camping without getting into beer by noon...

I dont want to be a "used to be" anymore...

I am drawing the line in the sand....My first leap is coming here and I am looking for support and some people to hold me accountable.

Thank you to all in advance. I hope I can add to the forums and contribute to helping others get cleaned up.

Happy New Year (I had 3 beers last night...a record low for me)
Found a book yesterday calledMommy Doesn't Drink Here Anymore also, try Diary if an Alcoholic Housewife.

There is a great little shop in San Diego called The Serenity Shop, you can probably find the books anywhere, but I believe they have a website as well, might want to check it out.

I am a full time working mom, with three kiddos, today is day 82 for me, you can do it for you and for them!! Keep posting and reading!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
Feeling a bit anxious this morning ... pacing ... with a headache.

I just finished putting together the New Year's Day staple of black-eyed pea soup which needs to cook for an hour or so.

Besides the physical aspect of addiction, I'm becoming aware of the psychological dimension. When something's a habit ... something you always do ... what do you do in its absence? I definitely will need to stay busy and find something to occupy what used to be my drinking time.

Stay strong.
I started planning my non drinking time like I do my work calendar for the first few weeks, now those things have become habit. Welcome, and congrats on the decision to stop!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Happy New Year to all.

To do:
Check.

Sounds like a perfect way to start!