Notices

Class of December 2012 Part 2

Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

ewo- I am in the same position as you. Should have woken up early and finished this paper before class. Instead, didn't end up going all together because I feel like crap. I feel so irresponsible. But we can change!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
ewo

It's funny you mention blowing off writing a paper - I am blowing off working on a project right now!! ugh! Hopefully getting a good nights sleep tonight will be the refresher we need to get us moving again!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Just popping in from the November class to say hello to the December group! Awesome seeing so many new names and few old ones who are strong enough to NOT GIVE UP on a better life! Proud of you guys!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I just joined the forum and had a binge on Dec 1 and 2. Am I allowed in?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi, I had 22 days but faltered yesterday so I'm here in the December group now. Day 1 again....arrrggh.

I feel kind of stupid about the whole thing and in retrospect, I think I had been thinking about it for a couple of days. I went to three different stores before buying anything. Tried to talk myself out of it but didn't.

I hope I am not hopeless.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Welcome ewo, occupymylife, Dalek1 and solstice3!

We're all in this together with the same issues.

Good luck to all and glad you're here!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Morning of day 4 and feeling good. Still trying to get up early and stay productive throughout the day- helps by keeping my mind off of drinking and makes me super tired by the time evening rolls around.

I know that everyone is probably in the same situation, but I am a little worried about all of the holidays coming up. I have a wedding to go to this weekend, two year end business parties the following weekend, and then the standard Christmas and New Years things happening as well. I know that I will feel better on January 1st with a full month of sobriety under my belt, but I do not want to have to stay shut up inside my house and give up quality experiences with friends to get there. I know that I can do it without drinking, but it will be a challenge.

Initial thoughts are to volunteer as DD for events that I can and that other people will rely on me to stay sober... Have you thought about how you will deal the challenges of the holidays??
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I have done parties sober on and off since my first run a sobriety 2 years ago. Even while i had returned to drinking, I often stayed sober at a party, because I was trying to limit my drinking to just occasional.

I think you may find some people are sober that you never realized were. I have noticed that. And, many people really only do have 1-2 drinks. And, lastly, I fully enjoy the food! if I am not going to drink, I cheat on my eating and enjoy the appetizers, veggies, chips, etc... I try to focus on the fun things I *can* do, rather than pine for that which I cannot do.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome forabetterlife, misterritter, happinessfairy ewo, occupymylife, Dalek1 and solstice3

good to have you all here

4 surf, even tho this link is for Thanksgiving there are some great tips on getting through social occasions here:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I am on Day 2 and I've woken up with a horrible furry tongue, the taste of alcohol and a rotten head - feels like a typical hangover but of course it's not! This happened the last time I quit, just a reminder of how insidious the alcohol is.

I'm starting my first AA on Thursday.....anyone else starting?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Beginning my fourth sober day after absolutely terrifying myself and taking a wrecking ball to my life. A few years of sobriety, and then boom. A few months of sobriety, then boom. The loop gets tighter and the boomerang hits harder.

Guess I've had to learn everything they were telling me in AA the hard way. This time I'm determined to work the program and not let my pride get in the way. I'm on the other side of the world working on a project, so this forum feels like a lifeline until I can get back home and go to meetings and find a sponsor. Thank you.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome beige

D
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi I'm 2 days sober although its really the weekends I have to watch out for. I have never gone a full month sober, but I really want to do it. I'm glad I found this forum I just signed up today.

I was debating going to an AA meeting, too. I still have not decided. My friend was in AA though and she had a great experience, but it seems very time consuming.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi ewo, occupy, Dalek1, soltice3 and beige. I hope I did not miss anyone that I had not greeted before.

Thanks for the thoughts Sisterella - nice to have support from other classes

4Surf4Life - I am worry about holidays also. I think keeping busy and as I have seen advised so many times - make a plan deal with situations and if you can't deal then a plan to extract yourself.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Welcome lilly, maybe look at the time spent in meetings as the time you would have wasted drinking?

Tough drive home as expected, have 4 quick & easy stops on the way home where I could buy beer (and unfortunatley don't have a different route available, and it's Canada so even if I did there would just be beer stores along that route also). But didn't and made it home, which means for myself the worst part of today has been beaten. Hot shower, little dinner, little light reading and hopefully some better sleep. On to tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Welcome beige, dragon12 and lilly3

Glad you could join us!!

WTG Gonzo on passing up the carry outs. The last two days I've been within arms reach of liquor stores, gas stations, grocery stores, you name it and can thankfully say I never even considered grabbin' a pack.

My Day 3 is hopefully coming to an end and will sleep a little better tonight. I spent the evening making more shell ornaments out on the Lanai which was pretty relaxing. I'll let y'all know when I post some pics on my photo album.

I was able to get a nice package sent to my mom (with a liquor store and bar right next to the post office) so she can decorate her tree with festive shells. Now, I'm preparing some gift bags for my close neighbors and my family up north. There's no way I could have pulled all this off last week during the marathon bender I was on.

Thank goodness I'm sober!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lilly

I guess it really comes down to what you're prepared to do?

You don't have to do AA, but I think most of us found we did need to put some time and effort into staying sober.

Changing our life can be a really tough challenge - I think you'll be glad of any support you can find

D
Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Awesome Cat, congrats on day 3. One of my biggest things was realising I gave up entirely on some old hobbies. Definately hoping to revive those (although honestly, at this point I have blocked so much stuff out I couldn't even say 'what interests you outside of work?'), always thought it was a feather in my cap when i started reading again after my first real 'quitting' because I realised, it worked double, I felt good because I was reading (which when I could keep my focus on the book meant it wasn't on booze), and also realised it wasn't an option normally after I had a few.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi All lots on day 2 with me so alot to travel this journey. Welcol Solstice we both fell out of the november bus so lets work together I made 21 days you 22, appears another hurdle to look out for but this time I think we can

next goal is ride out all of this month inclusve the holiday festivities hope others will join me
Old 12-04-2012, 05:03 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ewo

Good Morning Everyone! It's the start of day 2 for me. I'm feeling much better this morning. Yesterday I was in that "morning-after drinking depression-daze". I'm looking forward to being healthy and clear-headed this week! Since I won't be drinking I will be spending more time working on healthy habits and I will spend more time doing stuff with my kids. I'm really looking forward to it! I'm also going to get my weekend planned out so there are no gaps in it. I'm thinking too that I can plan to buy something nice for myself on Sunday as a reward

Stay strong everyone!