Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 3

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me, just joining. Finding tons of strength & wisdom on these posts that keep me positive every day. Thanks to all of you!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, the start of day 12 for me, can't believe I've made it this far. Feeling better today than yesterday. Thanks for all your support
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Everyone seems to be doing really well
Hope you get over your food poisoning soon Bri, and your cold rochele!

I've actually been struggling today I'm on day 7. I didn't think I would have any 'cravings' since I didn't drink every day, it was just binging. But now I'm forgetting the last hangover, I'm suddenly having all these thoughts "it's not like you ACTUALLY have a problem", "you can definitely drink again you just need to MODERATE" "how will you have any FUN without alcohol". I hate that somehow I think alcohol will make my life better - why do I feel like I can't enjoy myself without it?! Anyway, I'm glad I started posting here as I can come back and read previous posts to remind myself of how crappy drinking made me feel. And I know you awesome guys will be here to back me up

*hugs*
Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hello, I might be the last to scrape into the Class of November... Im on Day 2, been a bit rough but coping ok so far. Have gone from 3 bottles of wine a day to nothing and have gone to work both days so far. Bit teary and irritable, but really happy to be free. Focussing on the good things that will come... losing weight, getting my life back, being myself again.. Using AVRT...

thanks for all your posts in this thread..
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good Morning - I am on to Day 16 today. Had my first meeting yesterday with the "outpatient treatment" coordinator, did the pee in the cup thing, etc. It wasn't bad. They are letting me start the "group" therapy tonight rather than waiting until the drug/alcohol results come back. An early Christmas present they said. :-)
A gal I met in one of the AA meetings gave me some good advice about cravings. She said that whenever she gets a craving, she immediately STOPS whatever she is doing and does something completely opposite. For example, if she is sitting at home, she goes out and rolls in the yard (hey, whatever works, right). She also goes and sits in her car and screams at the top of her lungs. Sometimes she drives her Van to the Walmart parking lot and people watches. She said it is amazing how quickly the craving goes away.
I think I will try to rolling in the yard thing. I would get a real kick out of seeing the neighbor's faces if they see me. She told me her neighbors think she is crazy anyway, so she is glad to give them some more fuel for the fire.
Good luck, everyone. You're doing good.
Marine
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning all, checking in on day 24.

I'm reposting this poem from another thread I post on (thank you Grace!), I found it so meaningful...

Start Where You Stand

Start where you stand and never mind the past,
The past won't help you in beginning new,
If you have left it all behind at last
Why, that's enough, you're done with it, you're through;
This is another chapter in the book,
This is another race that you have planned,
Don't give the vanished days a backward look,
Start where you stand.

The world won't care about your old defeats
If you can start anew and win success,
The future is your time, and time is fleet
And there is much of work and strain and stress;
Forget the buried woes and dead despairs,
Here is a brand new trial right at hand,
The future is for him who does and dares,
Start where you stand.

Old failures will not halt, old triumphs aid,
To-day's the thing, to-morrow soon will be;
Get in the fight and face it unafraid,
And leave the past to ancient history;
What has been, has been; yesterday is dead
And by it you are neither blessed nor banned,
Take courage, man, be brave and drive ahead,
Start where you stand.

by Berton Braley

Have a great, sober day everyone.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks for that poem, FMFT. Very encouraging.

Day 5. I am doing well with the not drinking, not wanting to, so far. Still fighting a cold, but whatever. Got a cough, now. It hurts.

Welcome Quinnleigh and Thanume!

Bri- I hope you are feeling better. Ugh.

Poppy- Yay for 12 days!

Kittykat- I think we all get that feeling, and that is how we relapse, so stay strong!

I was mulling over how I have some issues with medications. That they make me feel bad, or make my heart race, so I never take them. Things like antihistamines. So, why don't I feel that way about alcohol? It is so strange the grip it has on us. Seriously, if it were a medication that made me feel dizzy, buzzed, and then left me hungover, I would never take it again.

Going to try to use that logic if I feel like having a glass of wine. "Ewww. That stuff makes me light-headed and unable to drive and I feel so tired and parched the next day. Never mind the racing heart and anxiety in the middle of the night if I have too much."
Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Starting Day 2 here! Gotta keep strong today. Going to go to another meeting at lunch. Hopefully that will help.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Hey everyone - just a quick check in as I'm heading out for my first day of work. Day 14 here - TWO WEEKS!!! *Raise da roof!* LOL, anyway, I'm sorry I wasn't able to read through most of the posts but I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong We can ALL do this!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Good luck at work today JJ! Well done on 2 weeks! Yay!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
"Why So Serious?"

Thanks rochele! I failed at getting up at 4:30 again so I'm gonna see if I can do a full day of physical labor and then the gym! I'm outta here!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Sisterella and KittyCat, both of you touched on things that have been bothering me too.

Sisterella, I love this quote. "People who aren't alcoholics do not lie in bed at two-thirty in the morning wondering if they're alcoholics."
-- Drinking : A Love Story

KittyCat, you are thinking the same type thoughts, that you are not really an alcoholic. "it's not like you ACTUALLY have a problem", "you can definitely drink again you just need to MODERATE" "how will you have any FUN without alcohol". I am sorry to hear you are struggling, but also glad, because I think if you have cravings after seven days you might realize you are really addicted.

I fought with myself for days. I said to myself "You are not really an alcoholic." "Someone who only drinks one bottle of wine a day CAN'T really be an alcoholic." I comforted myself with the thought that I wasn't a common drunk like "all those other people". I never got a DUI. I never got arrested. I never found myself waking up in a strange room. So I couldn't be an alcoholic, right?

Then I realized it doesn't matter if what I call it. I drink too much. I have a drinking problem. A bottle of wine every night is too much. So I quit drinking. I hope I can stay quit. You guys being here and understanding is what has helped me the most.

JunebugApril, who hasn't had a drink in 10 days.

p.s. Ugh, just saying that makes me get a fleeting thought that I want a drink. Maybe I'll stop counting the days.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I have, previously, found it counter-productive to count days. it made me obsess on it all too much. However, I then found it made me excuse "just one day" and there went my slippery slope into relapse(last Feb). So, this time, I am trying to stick with the counting. But I know what you mean, June. I struggle with it. if nothing else, we will always have the November club once December comes. Don't want to ever lose my November club friends, so when I make it to December, I might give it a break on days.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 13 here. Had a scary night last night. I have never had a dream in my life trying to give me a reason to drink. Well last night I did. I got up at 1:15am. That stinking drinking thinking voice in my head was telling me, well you made it through Thanksgiving, and a weekend with your son and fiance visiting, and you deserve a drink, no one would know anyway.

I had a 45 minute period of time that I could have driven to the bar and got a 12 pack, but didn't go, came here instead. Thank you so much SR for being here.

Snowing here today, but hopefully it will warm up enough to melt the snow. I really don't want to shovel it.

Hope everyone has a good day
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Sounds like most everyone is doing pretty good... I too don't really know how I feel about counting the days but I end up doing it anyhow...

Hope everyone is having a safe a sober day...

With love,

Wifi - d4
Old 11-27-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Amy, That dream sounds really scary.

Rochele, I feel like I am spending too much time on here, maybe substituting one addiction for another? But that's okay for now.

Tonight I go to an AA meeting with my new "sponsor". It feels strange and uncomfortable to have to phone her every day as she requested.

When I had a craving, coming here to Sober Recovery made me feel better than talking to my sponsor did. I just wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible.
y sponsor also did not like the meeting where we we met. I really want to find a meeting I like.

I hope the meeting tonight is good.

Great job all you guys on staying sober. I am so proud of all of us!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quinnleigh View Post
Hello, I might be the last to scrape into the Class of November... Im on Day 2, been a bit rough but coping ok so far. Have gone from 3 bottles of wine a day to nothing and have gone to work both days so far. Bit teary and irritable, but really happy to be free. Focussing on the good things that will come... losing weight, getting my life back, being myself again.. Using AVRT...

thanks for all your posts in this thread..
Welcome to the class of November! I have just started day 5. Reading and posting on SR is great therapy. Hang in there.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi all, busy day 17, still here.

Have to be honest here.....

Got discouraged last night reading a couple of challenging and seemingly angry posts on other threads. Tried to formulate helpful responses but changed my mind and erased them. I do not think I am strong enough yet - uncivil responses might threaten my sobriety. Much respect for those who are and handled it well.

Thanks to everyone on here who is supportive and gives/takes advice. This is a voluntary place and has been my sanctuary for the last 2.5 weeks. I am of the belief of 'take what you need and leave the rest'.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some really great recovery here guys -

For me recovery is all about facing life, facing stress, facing emotions, facing desires...and consciously making life affirming decisions, not destructive ones.

D
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
p***enger

hi everyone, if my first day was nov. 26, do i belong to this class?