Notices

Class Of November 2012 - Part 3

Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

“My sobriety has opened so many synapses that were hidden from years of drinking and drugging,” Richard Lewis

I love that guy.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 13

Really in a much better mood today! I had forgotten my supplements for 3 out of 4 days, so that explains a lot about my bad mood the last couple of days. Wife, boy, and I made cookies today without chaos, which was nice. Somehow I've got to motivate myself to exercise every day, but it's hard when your lazy and it's cold out. It's going to get down to 15 F tonight. My lungs are really healing now-I can feel it. Lots more stamina.
If you've been following my posts, you know I was a big-time pothead and drunk that occasionally used other drugs for 30 years. I read a lot of news. Today I read a story in the british newspaper the Independent that was about a study linking heavy cannabis use to mental illness. Not the first time I've heard of this to be sure. The thing that bugs me are the comments after the article. Every single one was either outright pro weed or at the least minimizing the harmful effects. Why do I bring this up? I really feel that we need to be advocates for sobriety and try to educate people when they obviously have less than educated opinions. I'm so sick of the "Magical Medicine" view so prevailent today. Opium comes directly from one of gods plants also. Same with cocaine. My rant is not just about weed either. Alcohol is processed as a poison in the body, yet most people when asked think that a couple of drinks are good for you. This misinformed view comes from studies with red wine. What they don't tell you is that the same benefits can be found with grape juice. It's not the alcohol.
As sober people we are surrounded. You can read about it in a lot of our posts on SR. I, for one, am going to fight back. Not sure how yet, but the wheels are starting to spin. If you made it this far, thanks. Sorry if I sound preachy.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked pot for 30 years - I've seen first hand how insidious and ultimately destructive it is, too.

Not sure you'll ever get rid of that 'benign' reputation it has tho - it's like alcohol - unless you've been to hell, you can't really adequately describe it to someone else, or really expect them to understand?

D
Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

UR probably right D. I guess I'm just not looking forward to the free joint coupons. Would the FDA legalize a drug that gave 2% of it's users syzophrenia? I think not. I hope not.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

hey twenties,, you is only 2 days away frm me!!! we are nearing that 30 day mark"!!!!

lets hit the decembers with a big woop woop,,

also ,, i want to say hi to all the newbies over the past posts,, too many to name,, but you all rock,,, keep it up guys and gals ,,, lets cheer in december like a big happy wonderful,, sqishy and lovely,, famalam,, lv xx cleo xxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Opinions: I steeped 5 chamomile tea bags in one cup of hot water last night, and I was out like a light within half an hour, kind of slept through the night the usual way, tossing and turning...but it calmed me within minutes. I want to do the same tonight before I go to bed. Is this replacement behaviour?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Finally got around to checking in today. Today is day 12. My body feels all beat up. Not even really going to blame the drinking for that. Can only blame myself for sitting around here for 4 months drinking, and not doing anything. So I did Thanksgiving with friends, but just trying to clean up my house for before my son came, did a job on me. I really think I developed dystrophy in my muscles, from inactivity. So, I have been taking it easy, but really need to start getting back into shape.

So need to stop complaining, and need to start "doing". Will start out slow, and work my way up.

JJay - so happy that you are starting the job tomorrow

rochele - glad to hear that you got good news

twenties - congrats on 3 weeks

veryready - SAD is real. I never thought I had it, maybe I don't, IDK, but my cabin is very dark, and I had to buy a mood lamp. But I do know what it feels like

Arrdybya - glad to hear that you are feeling better today
Old 11-26-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Also wanted to say, I wanted to post more personal replies to page 2 on this thread, but with my computer know how, I know I would have lost the post.

Hope everyone is well, and doing good.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Rose

I drink sleepytime extra (valerian) tea. Works good with only one bag.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arrdubya View Post
Rose

I drink sleepytime extra (valerian) tea. Works good with only one bag.
I usually have that one too, but ran out last week, I usually double bag that one.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

another day over
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Poppy, it was hard for me to believe too, but it is getting easier, even by day 16.

Take care.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arrdubya View Post
Day 13

Really in a much better mood today! I had forgotten my supplements for 3 out of 4 days, so that explains a lot about my bad mood the last couple of days. Wife, boy, and I made cookies today without chaos, which was nice. Somehow I've got to motivate myself to exercise every day, but it's hard when your lazy and it's cold out. It's going to get down to 15 F tonight. My lungs are really healing now-I can feel it. Lots more stamina.
If you've been following my posts, you know I was a big-time pothead and drunk that occasionally used other drugs for 30 years. I read a lot of news. Today I read a story in the british newspaper the Independent that was about a study linking heavy cannabis use to mental illness. Not the first time I've heard of this to be sure. The thing that bugs me are the comments after the article. Every single one was either outright pro weed or at the least minimizing the harmful effects. Why do I bring this up? I really feel that we need to be advocates for sobriety and try to educate people when they obviously have less than educated opinions. I'm so sick of the "Magical Medicine" view so prevailent today. Opium comes directly from one of gods plants also. Same with cocaine. My rant is not just about weed either. Alcohol is processed as a poison in the body, yet most people when asked think that a couple of drinks are good for you. This misinformed view comes from studies with red wine. What they don't tell you is that the same benefits can be found with grape juice. It's not the alcohol.
As sober people we are surrounded. You can read about it in a lot of our posts on SR. I, for one, am going to fight back. Not sure how yet, but the wheels are starting to spin. If you made it this far, thanks. Sorry if I sound preachy.
Hi Arrd,
I have not followed your other posts. Nice to see you here. I was just thinking about the exact thing. What is it about us humans, that we seek out actual poisons to alter our minds? Is life that mundane, that intolerable? I can understand that someone left the grapes out, they spoiled, and someone else atte them by mistake and liked the way they felt afterwards. Perhaps is is just because we humans are resourceful. Someone else left milk out and didn't die from eating the spoiled residue, it was cheese!

In the 70's I remember reading the Carlos Castenada books about the plants in the desert that the Yaqui Indians used to have out of body experiences. Perhaps this is our way of culling the weak part of the population out because we have so very many people here.

Or maybe we are just curious as a species, and will try anything.

JunebugApril
Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It's my 9th day without wine. My sleeping habits are strange. I am waking up in the middle of the night, then needing a nap later. I wonder if the wine poisons are still getting cleaned out of my bloodstream? Not sure how long that takes.

I am feeling more clarity in my thinking. More bored. Less easily amused. No more drunken games of three way online Scrabble or Song Pop. No idea why I played so much better when I was drunk than when I am sober!

Without drinking, I am no longer a clever conversationalist. Oh well. Clarity is good. The very beginnings of serenity are good.

Thanks to you, for being along for the ride. I think it's going to be a good one for us.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

June, you have not lost your conversational ability. Mine is gearing right back up in the last two days. It's even easier than before and more importantly, I remember it the next day, and the next day.

Sometimes when I thought I was saying something really witty (you know, you feel like this light bulb goes off in your head and you have this amazing revelation to share), I wonder if the others were just placating me when they had positive responses. None of us remembered much of it a week later anyway.

Hang in.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Night all. Day 12 done. I am finally feeling better all day; the fog is lifting from my head. It was good for me to get back to work.

JJ, good luck starting your job tomorrow.

Rochele, I'm glad you got good news from the doc today. Hope you feel better.

Arrdubya, glad you feel better. I am definitely less irritable as the days pass.

Welcome munchie and any other new people. Thanks to everyone for checking in and posting. It sounds like we are all fighting through with determination. Yay us!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Turning in here too. Thanks for all the support and well wishes. My cold is certainly making it east to not drink, so, maybe divine intervention? And I am just whining rather than wine-ing.

Goodnight everyone.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Getting ready to turn in too... first full weekend in the books! It was a holiday weekend for us so my weekend didn't end until tonight. Stayed busy today by driving out to the mountains and doing some hiking and exploring. Of course here when you in an area you aren't familiar with and get somewhat lost and the locals only speak Spanish and you only speak English, it can get quite comical. My husband says that I need to stop nodding and saying Si to everything people say before I get us in a lot of trouble! Have a great night peeps!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Ending day 6

hello all. I havent been on much, Ive been trying to keep busy. Doing anything i can not to sit still. So far its working...ending day 6. I feel better than the other days but I still wish I had a big glass of wine in my hand but we all know it wouldnt end there. been sleeping pretty well. taking herbal tea and something called dream water. Worked out for two hrs today. that is def helping and eating really good. I still got the bloat though, I guess i thought the weight would come off right away lol..I wish. Hopefully soon, it would be more motivation. Well all your posts have really healped me. Thank You. Good night
Old 11-26-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Bri

Ending day 11 here. Wish I could say I was feeling better but I've had food poisoning the last 2 days. Was feeling better before that! Anyway still have 8 meetings in and glad I'm not drinking my way thru this illness. Going to try to rest now. Glad to be part of the class of Nov 2012!