Notices

Class Of October 2012

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Styxfan - I'm spending hours of an evening this week listening to all the Pink Floyd albums on You Tube. I havent heard all their stuff. (I'm 28) I'm finding it a great method of escapism. I',m listening to the album 'a Momentary lapse of Reason' right now, only just looked up the title realised the irony as I post on a sober recovery website ! It's great stuff I find their instrumental stuff quite hypnotic to send me off to sleep, a great way to relax. BEatles are great too Seargent Peppers lonely Hearts is my favourite.

Getting pretty sleepy now it's almost 2am and I'm nodding off in my sack. Pleae excuse my appaling typing skills and spelling.[/QUOTE]

Thats great about the music. You got a real treat if you never heard of Pink Floyd. Go find their "Dark Side Of The Moon" album. It was there best (and they've had many) album by far and is still selling today. Loud music and this forum got me through the 1st three days so hopefully others will try. Let me know what you think of album. There is a DVD Concert called PULSE that is unbelievable if you really get into them. Well enough of that. Stay Strong. I'm still hurting but actually going to go to my office for a little while. We all are there pulling for you.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maples View Post
One day at a time. I won't drink today.

JimJim - Work sent me home at 1pm , I told them I was ill early this week on my final binge, and it was clear my illness was not over yet. Fortunately I had a very productive morning while I was there and cleared 3 customer issues that had the support team stumped. They dont know about the alcoholism, although i am sure some of them suspect because i stopped going to drinking events with some of them.

Sounds like your day at the hospital was a good thing. I like hospital atmospheres too. Not scared of them, have only ever gotten help in them.

Feeling much better this evening, appetite is returning, sleep will hopefully be restful to get back to almost 100%.

My anxiety continues to haunt me. Need that under control in order to stay sober. Anxious about whether the neighbors know, anxious about my high BP (as if that makes any sense), anxious about feeling "safe". These are the issues i self medicated to disasterous consequences. Have lots of material for my next therapy session. Slowly hope to learn to forgive myself. Still intend on hitting AA to talk to people, i know this wasn't just me hiding at home drinking to feel the anxiety disappear, only to slam back into me the next morning x200%. it is clear others here can relate.
I think when you have finally conquered it you won't have all these issues but you will be proud and you won't be worry about what neighbors say. If they were your drinking buddies they will just be jealous. Keep an eye on your blood pressure. Steady above 160 you should call DR. You're doing great. I'm feeling better every day now.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I am new too...day 5 for without drinking for me

Welcome to all you other newbies as well... looking forward to not having to go through this alone, but with all you great people

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

welcome nikita and congrats on day 5
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hello everybody - So many new posts and newcomers, welcome. I'll be able to catch up later.

Day eight here, I get small thoughts of drinking through the day - but I can keep my mind active to conquer those thoughts. I seem to be getting a hold over the urges in the evening. It's usually quite uncomfortable and strong at about 9pm for about an hour but it seems to pass. I have joined the library and got some books, so that has been helping me to help me relax after 10pm.

Have a great weekend everyone, toasts all around on Monday morning when you make it. How about an 'Octsober cocktail'?

#Disclaimer, zero alcohol content - Ingredients: Mostly Green tea.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Morning all! Today is looking better. Hangover free anyway.

Hope everyone is doing well this Friday morning.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maples View Post
Any Firefly fanatics out there?

Am currently on episode 16 of law & order season 2. Long way to go, love it though.
That's a good show and it will probably take you until summer to finish. I think they were on like 20 years. Glad you found something you like. Hang in there
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stevie82 View Post
Day 2 here and feeling better than yesterday but that's not saying much.

Slept on and off for about 12 hours but still haven't eaten much and missed work again, 4 days in row now.

Unsure whether or not i should come clean to them about my issues as although i hate lying i don't want people knowing. Same goes for my friends and family too.

Has anyone here went through similar situations re missing work? And how did their employers react?
No I've never been through that but me as an owner of a business would admire someone who decided enough is enough. I would never fire someone for this. Are you in a key position if so employers do not want to lose those folks. Hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Damn... I have issues.... It seems to be progressing.... I swore I wouldn't drink today and already had two 24's and it's only 9:03AM.... THIS IS NOT NORMAL...

I have years of sobriety under my belt off and on but after falling off the class of September after 10 days and my pending legal issues with the Domestic thing my wife just wishes would go away I am totally out of control (drinking wise)...

Fortunately when I go to see my son's I seem to have enough power to stay sober but as soon as there is a hole in my schedule... BAM...

I don't know I am losing faith in myself because things just seem to be getting worse and worse... I can't just use "life issues" as an excuse to drink or I will never stop...

Anyhow congrats to all those that are doing the deal... I know how hard it is and I am very proud of those of you that have the willpower to fight this thing...

I don't know how I can quit cigs (which is supposed to be the hardest thing in the world) but the beer is just kicking my butt right now... Not good and I need to stop with the excuses and just do the deal...

Wifi - Day 0...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Day 6 here. Still week and light-headed but feel good enough to get out and go to the office today for an hour or so. Boy kicking these opiods sucks bad. Still no appetite but did manage to drink a breakfast meal lol. I want to start some cardio exercises but with the weekness I feel and light headedness I don't know. I am so out of shape now. Spent Feb to Sep on crutches because of botched knee scope- 2 infections followed so i did nothing and ballooned to 250. Now that I got me new knee I'm wanting to get off and running. Good luck to all and congrats to another day.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Wifi- you are sober today. That is all that matters. I am sure you'd agree life sober is easier. Worry about tomorrow tomorrow- keep it simple for today
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I'm actually not which is the problem.... Feel very low and depressed right now.... I know I can do this I just am really struggling this time....
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wifi View Post
I'm actually not which is the problem.... Feel very low and depressed right now.... I know I can do this I just am really struggling this time....
Wifi you can do it, make a commitment to yourself and start again tomorrow. Dont beat yourself up.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Yes i'm in a senior position but possibly not for too much longer if i can't get this under control. Thanks for getting back to me
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Oh god it's difficult tonight. Day 6 still...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:11 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

hang in there dutchie, must be that friday feeling huh? it's whisky o' clock here. Got my headphones on, Eric Clapton blasting, doors locked sitting on my hands.

9pm.. right on time too
Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

another newbie

Hi, all.

I'm joining the "class of October 2012" as well. I became a (binge) drinker in college (who wasn't?) but that was five years ago now and I'm really finding it difficult to stop or even moderate lately. I started drinking really heavily back in September 2010 as a way to cope with the stress I felt at work. At first it was just one weeknight per week, but it has escalated to troublesome heights. Over the past few months, it's gotten bad as I've taken advantage of the lax supervision at my work and have been drinking throughout the day. I've "tried" to cut down on a number of occassions, but I don't think I've given the problem the full attention it obviously deserves. I'm trying again (today is day 2 for me). Reading the incredible stories of people who have been sober for years and years after descending into their own self-induced hell is really inspiring and confidence-building. I know a life without alcohol will infinitely better than this pathetic excuse for a lifestyle I've become accustomed to, and I've GOT to get there somehow.

Good luck to everyone (and to me).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Welcome Johnny!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=styxfan;3610047]
Originally Posted by JimJim View Post
I'm just sat in bed catching up on all of you posts. It's gone midnight here in the UK so it looks like I have survived another day. I had some pretty raging cravings to enter oblivion via vodka/whiskey again earlier, I posted this time rather than engaging wioth my thoughts (Thanks for the ticking off MTN! ). I'm pretty relaxed now so I'll be more prepared if it happens again as it clearly passes.

Cheesy - I hope your headaches clear and you are not so tired at work tomorrow

uninvited. Well done day five,

Styxfan - I'm spending hours of an evening this week listening to all the Pink Floyd albums on You Tube. I havent heard all their stuff. (I'm 28) I'm finding it a great method of escapism. I',m listening to the album 'a Momentary lapse of Reason' right now, only just looked up the title realised the irony as I post on a sober recovery website ! It's great stuff I find their instrumental stuff quite hypnotic to send me off to sleep, a great way to relax. BEatles are great too Seargent Peppers lonely Hearts is my favourite.

SOF, Yeh, Bottles in the house, What else can you do with them other than drink them?

MAple - hey Maple , I spoke to you in chat earlier I believe! Good luck with the work, I hope things improve working with others

Got - I know what you mean about the bottles, Such a chore to get rid of. I remeber I lived with flatmates and I was trying to hide the amount I drank. I would put one bottle in the bin, carry the rest in a bin bag and ditch them in variouss wheely bin.s

Jaz.- Good to have you around again! I I've screwed up a couple of times too now. The last ten years I was drinking daily ,it didn't seem to have any major consequences on my lifestyle (so I thought at the time) and i didnt really want to cut out my drinking. I had half arsed attempts now and then because I knew I had a problem but just told myslef I would have to give up one day. Well now is my 'one day'. I'n these couple of attemps I have also had the longest periods off of drink in those last 10 years. so, perahps the point is I feel like this is prgroess and I'm confronting my problem at last. So I;m not going to be to hard on myself. I'm learning to live without drink, so I guess I screw up because I'm on the rollercoaster as you put it.

Getting pretty sleepy now it's almost 2am and I'm nodding off in my sack. Pleae excuse my appaling typing skills and spelling.When I feel like I do I just hope people can understand my posts. It's not you. Hey You gotta find the whole album "Dark Side of the Moon". It was there biggest album. There are more but try and find that one. I'm right there with brother. Keep the course.
Thats great about the music. You got a real treat if you never heard of Pink Floyd. Go find their "Dark Side Of The Moon" album. It was there best (and they've had many) album by far and is still selling today. Loud music and this forum got me through the 1st three days so hopefully others will try. Let me know what you think of album. There is a DVD Concert called PULSE that is unbelievable if you really get into them. Well enough of that. Stay Strong. I'm still hurting but actually going to go to my office for a little while. We all are there pulling for you.

Reposted this cause i screwed up last one...wonder why???
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hey styx, thanks for the words of encouragment. I did catch your exchanges of posts on the main thread. I hope your feeling better from the withdrawals.

I've always heard of them and I have listened to a couple of their songs before, it's only now I seem to be listening to every last bit of their music I can find. I've listened to Dark Side of The Moon so many times now, I need more! Certainly a great discovery like say! It's doing wonders for my lonely mind as I sit up and read through 'til 2am each night this week. Some of the lyrics are fantastic, Ummagumma is a strange one though huh? Still like it though.

My cravings to greet oblivion via whiskey seem to be subsiding now anyhow. I hope you are having a good afternoon (?) over there.