Notices

Class Of June 2012 Part 3

Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Day 41 just starting....Many apologies for not checking in yesterday but I was extremely sick and couldn't even get out of bed...Feeling a bit better today though and have managed to eat some toast and drink some tea without puking it back up....Just gonna try and get some food back into myself today and try and re-hydrate myself.....Hope everyone else is doing good...Take care....Steve....
Old 08-16-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 67 for me. Sorry I couldn't check in yesterday.

Britt and Stevie, I hope you both get better real soon. It's no fun getting sick. Britt, I hope they find out what is causing your headaches.

This morning for the first time I got off the treadmill and took to the road for a couple miles. Being an old geezer with two prior back surgeries, this is a major accomplishment. I'm starting to feel better than ever. I don't know about everyone else but I would often exercise in the morning to deal with the hangover. I would feel like crap, hit the gym, and drink alot of water to rehydrate. This would help get me through the day (only to be repeated the next day).
Old 08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Sorry, to hear about everyone being sick. Unfortunately, I haven't been on because I had a tragedy in my life. My father was the pilot in a plane crash yesterday morning. His passenger died, but may have been the luckier of the two. My father is in ICU right now with just about every bone in his body broken. He is alive, but he along with my family are in for a very, very long recovery. There is a good chance he will never walk again or live anything close to a normal life even if he does live through this. Needless to say, this has thrown my whole families life into chaos. I stayed last night in the hospital with my mother. Going back in about an hour.
I am very depressed right now. Surprisingly, drinking is the furthest thing from my mind. I am actually very thankful that I quit when I did so that I can provide my mother and family the support they need. Adding drinking to this equation would be a disaster and I know it would only sink me into a deeper depression. So, I only ask for prayers for my father and the rest of my family.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Duane1....I am so sorry to hear your bad news...Stay strong and stay off the booze,you will be 1000% stronger without booze....I send prayers and strength for your father,yourself and your family.....
Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm on the sick list too

Hope you feel better Steve and Britt.

Duane I'm so sorry - prayers for you, your dad, and your family, and everyone else involved.

D
Old 08-17-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I just looked, as I hadn't been counting. 75 days.
Dee, hope you're well very soon. Britt, hope the headaches have been figured out and are gone. Oh, duane, so sorry about your dad. I will pray for him and your whole family, and the passenger's family, too. gsp, what great news you actually got on the road to run, especially after your history with your back - great job! stevie, so sad about your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Everyone seems to be facing all kinds of huge challenges. How inspiring that all of you have stayed sober. Thanks for that inspiration. A few rotten things have been going on for me, too. The other night I wanted to drink, but didn't. It was the strongest I've felt it since I quit. But I'd be back at square one and full of self-loathing yet again. Not worth it. Keep strong, all of you. ((hugs)) Thanks again. Btw, haven't seen that oino's been on this thread, so hope all's well w/him, too.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 42 just starting....
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 43 just starting here....
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Sorry guys,slipped up on day 43...Head was a mess and I drank 3 pints of beer...I have tipped out the other 5 and its back to day 1 tomorrow...I think I will also join the class of August,new start and all that....Take care guys...Steve...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Sorry, to hear about everyone being sick. Unfortunately, I haven't been on because I had a tragedy in my life. My father was the pilot in a plane crash yesterday morning. His passenger died, but may have been the luckier of the two. My father is in ICU right now with just about every bone in his body broken. He is alive, but he along with my family are in for a very, very long recovery. There is a good chance he will never walk again or live anything close to a normal life even if he does live through this. Needless to say, this has thrown my whole families life into chaos. I stayed last night in the hospital with my mother. Going back in about an hour.
I am very depressed right now. Surprisingly, drinking is the furthest thing from my mind. I am actually very thankful that I quit when I did so that I can provide my mother and family the support they need. Adding drinking to this equation would be a disaster and I know it would only sink me into a deeper depression. So, I only ask for prayers for my father and the rest of my family.
Oh my goodness Duane. I am SO SO sorry about your father! I just logged in today, so i just now saw this. Hang in there, and remember that drinking will not help this situation. Stay strong and sober for your dad.

Seems tragedy is strong.. my best friend lost her 25 year old brother this weekend from an abscess in his brain that started with a sinus infection. It really is unbelievable.

I just got in from a 5 mile run. I'm grateful to be sober, and alive. I hope everyone has a good Saturday night.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks Britt. Thanks to everyone else also.
This is the hardest situation I have ever been through in my entire life. My father is still alive, but we don't have a clue if he will ever walk or talk again. He is going through a surgery tomorrow on his back that his heart might not be able to tolerate, but they can't delay it any longer. I am just so filled with a profound sadness. He is strongly in need of prayers.
As I said in a previous post, I am grateful that I gave up drinking when I did.
Quite honestly, I haven't even though about alcohol. I am so involved with my father's tragedy that I can't think about much else.
I also have confessed to 2 people in the last 2 days that I am a recovering alcoholic. I remember only a few months ago, how I would have done anything to keep this from anyone I knew. I have still kept it from my family, but I am opening up about it. I am also much more compassionate toward others that are alcoholics. I really feel for the son of the guy that died in my father's crash. He got out of alcohol rehab only 2 weeks before the accident. The family also was about to have a 1 year anniversary memorial this weekend for his mother (passenger's wife) who died a year ago from falling down a flight of stairs while drunk. This guy is also strongly in need of prayers. I really wish I could reach out to him.
I last thing, I know I am rambling. Being around my family has made me realize just how bad alcohol was twisting me into a bitter and angry person. Nearly everyone in my family I had some sort of anger toward. Some of it showed, but much of it was very inward. It just made me a very angry person that wasn't fun to be around. Now being around my family, I don't feel that anger. I am the light hearted one that makes others laugh. I am so happy to have my pre alcoholic personality back.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I hope the surgery goes well for your father. I really can't imagine what you are going through at all, but I am thinking of you and your family. Proud of you for staying strong
Old 08-20-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Duane, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. This is so very hard. In March I lost my father in a terrible accident. He was in ICU for 10 days. Stay strong and keep the faith. I'm glad you are sober to deal with this. Everyday after my visit to the hospital I got drunk and the depression was terrible. It only made things worse.

Staying sober will be a blessing to your mother and family during this time that they really need you.

GSP
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Wow GSP, I didn't realize you had to go through a similar situation like this recently. Amazing that you were able to get sober soon after. Did that situation help lead you to sobriety?
I figured drinking would only increase my level of depression and I really can't deal with any more. In fact, I have continued to run and work out when I get home to help with the depression.
Today's surgery went well. My father had his C-5 and C-6 disks bolted together. Still no idea if he will walk. They do think he would have use of his upper body. So now that a few of the major surgeries are out of the way hopefully he will come out of his comma when all of the narcotics are out of his system. We have no idea though.
Tomorrow is also my dad's partner's funeral. Up at 6:30 tomorrow morning for that.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Duane,

Still praying for your fathers recovery and your strength. His death is one reason for my sobriety. He rarely if ever drank and was a wonderful grandfather to my kids. I feel that in a way, I am honoring him by trying to be a good grandfather to my grandkids. I don't want to be known as the happy old drunk grandfather who sits around in his chair and drinks. I want to be sober and active with my grandkids. Like my own kids, I want to throw the ball and run at the park.

I have to admit that since I have stopped drinking, I feel better than I have in years.

I hope things get better, I know how hard the waiting is. You are doing the right thing by working out. Exercise helps depression and drinking brings it on. You will need all your strenght to deal with this situation.

Take care

GSP

PS- to Britt, keep up the good work, keep running and stay sober. Any news on your headaches? Have they gone away?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Duane and Britt,

This is just a thought and I wanted some feedback from you guys. The June class is basically down to three people. What are your thoughts on seeing if another group would adopt us? I know sometimes I can't make it in to post for a day or two and you guys are left hanging with no support at all.

This would also give us more comroderie with others and allow us to cheer them on.

Let me know your thoughts, we could look for July or May 2012.

Dee- what do you think? Has this happened before when groups dwindle down.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gsp0050 View Post
Duane and Britt,

This is just a thought and I wanted some feedback from you guys. The June class is basically down to three people. What are your thoughts on seeing if another group would adopt us? I know sometimes I can't make it in to post for a day or two and you guys are left hanging with no support at all.

This would also give us more comroderie with others and allow us to cheer them on.

Let me know your thoughts, we could look for July or May 2012.

Dee- what do you think? Has this happened before when groups dwindle down.
I would really like that. It's really a bummer that everyone dropped off except us! I sure hope that is an option. I am so busy lately that i'm not able to log on every day!!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Duane - Really glad that your dad's surgerys went well. I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts!

GSP- Well. No such luck.. but I remembered I fell in target about a week and a half ago. I think because I landed right on my bum that I got a case of whiplash!! They want to do an MRI because i've still been in a lot of pain. I'll see what happens from there I suppose. They gave me a med yesterday solely for spinal injuries.. it was the only med that has worked!! Feeling pretty good today!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Day 67.

This past weekend I went on a CA campout. I met some amazing people and I found my sponsor there. Before recovery, I would never have felt comfortable going away on a weekend trip with people I did not know. Now I look forward to meeting new people.

edit.. oh yeah, my clean date. June 15, 2012
Old 08-21-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mindjask View Post
Day 67.

This past weekend I went on a CA campout. I met some amazing people and I found my sponsor there. Before recovery, I would never have felt comfortable going away on a weekend trip with people I did not know. Now I look forward to meeting new people.

edit.. oh yeah, my clean date. June 15, 2012
hello Mindjask! Sounds like you had a great weekend!!