Notices

Class Of February 2012 Part 2

Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

EternalQ

To be honest boredom reminds me the fact that Im sober. This low feeling goes away only if I start doing something. Washing up, for example.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm not dieting. I just try to eat whole foods, lots of lean protein, and only complex carbs. And I avoid processed foods and gluten, because it doesn't like me.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Trigirl, Maybe what you are really excited about is that you stopped.

I have to say, and maybe this is just me, which I own, but, I dont get the part about how some of you can be around active drinkers without a sober support person there with you, especially this early in sobriety. Or how some of you have alcohol in your home if theres no other active drinker there...

I mean I know in some instances, you are living with that person, which is a different challenge.

But otherwise, for me at least, I know what an expert I am about self sabotage once I see progress in myself, and being near someone who is drinking, who would let me drink without helping me reflect on my behavior, well, that would be bigtime self sabotage for me.

How do you see it, if not that way? Are you testing yourself?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Impressed with Germanos and the Feb class

I'm in the Jan class (on day 42), but didn't discover SR until about a week ago, so I missed out on some of the early day discussions with my 'classmates'. Been reading through the Feb threads, and am really impressed with the group that's out here. You seem like a very supportive and determined group, and it's great to see. As far as that goes, I've been very impressed with the quality of posts I've seen on this site as a whole, and can't say strongly enough what a great discovery this has been for me. Gets almost addictive (no pun intended) to follow along and see how everyone is doing

Not to take anything away from any of the other posters (you are all a tremendous source of inspiration), but I've really enjoyed the energy Germanos has brought to this board, and hope you are sticking with it brother. It's clear you've meant a lot to the others out here, and I have no doubt that everyone is rooting for you and will be around to support you however they can. I've read through all of the Feb posts, and can really relate to how you've thrown yourself into sports and exercise. Sports were a huge part of my life up until I started a family, and I still find that there is nothing like the natural high you get from a good workout. For me it's cycling and lifting now, but with 3 young children under the age of 5, it's tougher to devote the time to it that I used to be able to. I find that getting up early (5:00 or so) works best for me. Totally sucks dragging myself out of bed, but it's not like I ever just spring out of bed ready to tackle the day regardless of what time it is, and at least I get to enjoy the post-workout high for the remainder of the day. Also makes it easier to convince myself to go to bed earlier and avoid the late night stretch, which is when the temptations have always been the toughest for me.

Anyway, wasn't writing to talk about me, but more how I can really relate to your posts regarding your newly reclaimed energy, attitude, motivation, confidence, self-worth, etc., and agree that it's a terrific feeling and well worth battling for. What impresses me the most is that you have the self-awareness, courage, and humility to acknowledge it at your age. I knew these same things about myself when I was 23 (10 yrs ago), but was able to justify them because so many others around me seemed to be doing the same things. I also managed to (somehow) avoid any 'smack you in the head with a 2x4' moments, in which you are forced to admit to the world that you have a problem (or even worse, the judge or family members of those you've harmed!). I'm sure those closest to me either knew or suspected I had a problem, but I was a highly functional alcoholic who still managed to achieve enough to keep people off of my back. Work hard, play hard... I'm not harming anyone but myself... etc.

Looking back though, there's no way to reclaim those years, and I'll never know what I could have accomplished during that time. I'm proud of where I'm at and still feel like I have a lot left to accomplish, but can't help but think about all of the thousands of hours I pissed away during my 18+ years of drinking where I could have actually been contributing something positive to the world (or at least myself!). It is what it is... can't change the past, but it really hits home with me when I read about people in your situation who have the opportunity to side step those same hurdles that tripped me up for years.

Best of luck to you and all the other Feb members who have found your way to SR. There is strength in numbers, and it feels great to be part of such a worthwhile and rewarding journey with such a great group of people.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Wildcat you can stick with us even though you are a January guy! We won't tell!!!

EQ I think I could handle being sober at a gathering, but I could not stay sober w wine in my house.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

I largely wasted 20 years wildcat - but I've done more in the last 5 years than I did in those previous 20 so I feel I've evened up the score a little.

You;re right tho - there's no point regretting the past because it's done, we can't change it and, for better or worse, it bought us to where we are today

D
Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Wildcat, WOW!

Thank you SO much for writing that. It is so encouraging!!

And, as I am 49, I could not agree more. I wish I could have those years back, but, it is not like they were a total wash. I try to just say that theres no point in lamenting the road that got me here, the point is to follow the path that will take me out. I DONT want to waste time getting lost again! And SR is like the GPS ive needed!

Later on I may have a different perspective about the lost years and what they taught me.. Now is not the time to trust my perspective.

So glad you are here! Keep posting!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Day 6 done! am starting to feel better now. Looking forward to this time tomorrow when it''ll be a week. Hope everyone has a good Monday tomorrow x
Old 02-19-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

kam00096

Good for you! I look forward to tomorrow too, day 22 for me.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
I have to say, and maybe this is just me, which I own, but, I dont get the part about how some of you can be around active drinkers without a sober support person there with you, especially this early in sobriety. Or how some of you have alcohol in your home if theres no other active drinker there...
As for me, hubby and friends all drink (responsibly) and think that I just have some trouble with moderation. (Hubby is starting to believe that I really do need to quit for awhile.) They are supportive of me not drinking, if that's what I feel like I need to do. Being around drinkers the other night was sort of out of my control. I had two choices, and that was by far the best one. I didn't drink a drop that night and was surrounded by alcohol. But I was also surrounded by people who knew that I didn't want to drink. If I had stayed home, I think I would have given in.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Night 11 for me tonight. I can hardly believe it. If I can do this, it makes me wonder what else is possibe?

Wow! Congratulations Kam and HF! Thanks for inspiring me, when the spirit disappears! (or "spirits"!)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Am I still on Day 6 since I took some drinks of my friend's beer?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

EternalQ

I can hardly believe myself that Im on day 21. If I can do it, then anyone can do it!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

TriGirl

Day 6 is an achievement! Well done! I remember my first week. Trust me week 2 is much better!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hey I am thanks for the advice. To answer a question I am nervous because I drink at night and it helps me sleep, and when I say help I mean I enjoy passing out. Terrible I know But I made it past the time I usually start drinking and I am still holding in there! little accomlishments!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

HF: congrats on day 21!!!!! And Wildcat, welcome and congrats on 42 days!

TriGirl: IMO, you're still on day 6. But be careful of letting that experience being taken control of by the drinker part of your mind. In my past experiences in trying to get and stay sober, those types of things were manipulated by my drinking brain into "oh, you don't have a problem, you were able to put it down that one time..." etc, etc. The part of your mind that doesn't want to be a drinker needs to have the rebuttal of "yeah, but remember what happens every time you think it's ok to drink again and you end up hung over for every run?"

Take that with a grain of salt, cuz I'm on day 2 for the 3rd time in February 2012!

DMR: i used to drink to make sure I'd be able to fall asleep (even when I also had a script for Ambien) but the quality of sleep after being sober for a few days is sooooo much better! Seriously, once i get past the initial difficulty in sleeping in my first few days without booze (i've been through this several times), the sleep comes and is just so restful. Stick it out. It gets better.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

I love sober sleep!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post

I mean I know in some instances, you are living with that person, which is a different challenge.

But otherwise, for me at least, I know what an expert I am about self sabotage once I see progress in myself, and being near someone who is drinking, who would let me drink without helping me reflect on my behavior, well, that would be bigtime self sabotage for me.

How do you see it, if not that way? Are you testing yourself?
This is very hard for me. When I slipped this weekend, dh was drinking his beers. He actually handed me my second beer last night... sigh. And I have told him i want to not drink. But he knew I had decided to drink last night. I am sure i give mixed messages there. He knew I was sad and hurting, and since he is a drinker, it seems a perfectly fine way to soothe the pain.

He is having beer now, too. he has tomorow off. And, even after my terrible night, can you believe I wish I could have just one glass of wine? I wish I could have one and be happy with it, and have it make me feel relaxed and satisfued.

But I did enough to my liver last night, and it is never just one. It is why we are all here, right?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Wow so many posts to catch up on. Keep hangin in there everyone.

And welcome DMR

Day 14 today. Went to the dog park this morning then detailed my car and washed my moms. I'm a total daddy's girl and grew up around his muscle cars so I enjoy keeping my car clean. Then finally finished off the rest of my homework and did some laundry. I can't believe it's already almost 5. I've accomplished more this weekend while being sober then I have in weeks drunk. Really happy to have not given up on sobriety and tried again.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Rochele hang in there. Maybe there's a movie or a book you could read to distract yourself for a bit. Or maybe go for a walk?