Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 3

Old 12-24-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I don't know if many of you are fans of the movie "Matrix." But I have always drawn some analogies with it and alcoholism.
Here is that scene from Matrix. Cypher, who agent Smith (Alcoholic voice) calls Mr. Reagan has been out of the cocoon (sober) for nine years. He decides the real world will never give him the power and greatness he wants. So he meets with Smith to get back into the matrix and give his body back to the cocoon/casket (bottle) and relinquish control in return for the illusion of self worth. (drunk) He meets with Smith (relapse) for a try of the old illusion of eating when he is not, remembering how much he missed the matrix telling his brain that he was experiencing something that was just illusion. (Alcohol brain telling us we are suave and witty and oh so attractive, when in that condition to one who is sober, we are the opposite.) So he tries the old illusion again (Relapses) and decides he is tired of fighting it and prefers letting the Matrix (alcohol) control him and betrays Neo, and all the real world. His reason? Ignorance is bliss.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Old 12-24-2011, 09:24 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just back from Mass at my church. Just wanted to wish the group a wonderful Christmas. Hope your holidays, and the coming new year bring you many blessings.
--Carl
Old 12-25-2011, 03:47 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

wishing a very merry christmas to all the OYOC

Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Very Very cool song thanks Itchy.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Re-Member

YW Newby.
Merry Christmas everybody!!!

My sincere wish that these are the days for all my friends here too.

And for the New Year?

There were probably many, many times this year when

I may have...
Disturbed You,
Troubled You,
Pestered You,
Irritated You,
Bugged You,
Or got on your Nerves!!
So today, I just wanted to tell you:

Suck it up, Cupcake!!
Cause there
AIN'T NO CHANGES
Planned for 2012!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:24 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

! ! Happy Solstice Season Everybody !

May the sun shine longer for you every day, and more warmth come into your lives.

Oh ya, and Merry Chris-ma-what-chya-ma-call-it to you folks celebrating that holiday

Murray
Old 12-25-2011, 11:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Re-Member

OMG! Happy solstice season Murray. And since I may have missed others too, Happy Hanukkah, Alban Arthuan, Inti Raymi, Shab-e Yaldaa, Soyal, Feast of Frau Holle, Hogmanay, Litha, Saturnalia, and the Yule which is the day of the solstice which was the 22nd at 5:30 AM.

Disclaimer for the above post and absolution of website/s publishing this post:
The author makes no representation whatsoever as to the accuracy, political correctness, spelling, syntax, semantics, content or meaning of the text of this post, or of suitability for use or quoting elsewhere or for any other particular porpoise. As far as I'm concerned all information herein consists solely of sequences of zeroes and ones, being presented as either a satire or a parody of other sequences of zeroes and ones (or even of the ones and zeroes themselves) and neither I nor my service provider can be held responsible for any further interpretation, guesstimate, translation, transliteration, compression, decompression, exegesis, deconstruction, memetic emission or absorption, catalysis, curtation, transmogrification, alteration or forgery of such sequences made by either your hardware, software or wetware, or by any intervening data communications channel, even if previously advised of such a possibility.

Any actions you take based on whatever you saw, or think you saw in my post, are entirely your own responsibility, so there! This post is directed at reasonably mature people of any age and if you're not among them, life will be tough.

Since all of the Internet's web pages are interlinked you will sooner than later come to what you may consider an ugly, silly, stupid, obscene or otherwise offensive post. Don't say I didn't warn you!

No electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks or other sub-atomic particles, or agglomerations thereof, have been knowingly harmed in preparing this post. All quantum fields and/or state vectors related to this post may spontaneously collapse, decohere, and/or go all higgedly-piggedly as soon as you look at them, and I can't do anything about it.

You may have some rights not detailed in this disclaimer but don't bet on it.

Apply only to affected area. Do not use while sleeping, unconscious, or insufficiently caffeinated or oxygenated. For indoor or outdoor use only. Not suitable as a personal flotation device. An optional Internet connection is required. All models are over 0.568 gigaseconds of age or the local equivalent. Avoid contact with mucous membranes. Do not insert body parts into moving components. Keep out of children. Contents may settle during shipment or downloading. This disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, extraterrestrial impact, war, alien abduction, hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, and other Acts of God, Gods and/or Godesses, misuse, neglect, leaking batteries, unauthorized repair, damage from improper installation, broken antenna or marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, genetic drift, random neuronal firing, and incidents owing to airplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken glass, falling rocks, mud slides, forest fire, flying projectiles, or dropping the item. Many browsers look alike. Others don't. Use only in a well-ventilated area. May not work while immersed or submerged. Do not bend, fold, spindle, mutilate, clone, inflate, deflate, imbibe, or chew. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle, heavy equipment, airplane, hang glider, cellphone, or any powered device inserted into bodily orifices. If a rash, redness, irritation, or swelling develops, discontinue use. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Objects in browser may be closer than they appear, but don't count on it. One size fits all of that size. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Not intended for highway use. To be used as a supplementary restraint system only. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Keep cool, process promptly. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Employees and their families and friends are not eligible. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Not responsible for advice not taken. Disclaimer subject to change or stagnation without notice. May cause cirrhosis of the liver, inflammation of the brain, heart damage, pancreatic damage, kidney damage, spleen implosion or explosion, thyroid combustion, severe nasal hair growth, blindness, eruptia, pregnancy, infertility, fecal incontinence, impotence, loss of genitalia and/or hermaphroditism, hair loss, skin blemishes, bone deformity, throat cancer, ulcers, hangnails, bladder leakage, sores, scabs, elephantiasis, hepatitis, conjunctivitis, gingivitis, appendicitis, bronchitis, and/or athlete's foot. Your mileage may vary.

This supersedes all previous disclaimers. Reading a disclaimer like this all the way to the end may have caused irreversible but not necessarily malign changes to your neural whatchamacallits.

I couldn't resist.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone had a good day

D
Old 12-25-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

had a wonderful day

and It's a Wonderful Life
Old 12-25-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wonderful day and meal here too. I hope everyone here had one too. Our first Cajun Christmas with no turkey/ham or dressing. We have already decided that every year we will do thanksgiving traditional, and Christmas will be Cajun.

It was thanks in part to you guys here that it was another good one.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Second sober Chris-mas in a row for me. Last year I was at 6 months sober so it was a bit dodgy, but by no means sketchy.

This year was so much less about my internal conflicts regarding drinking, and more about sharing love with my family.

I'm feeling comfortable in my own skin...finally

Hope everybody is having a wonderful holiday!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

it's Zydeco time itch!
Old 12-26-2011, 05:28 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post

Suck it up, Cupcake!!
Cause there
AIN'T NO CHANGES
Planned for 2012!!
Wouldn't want it any other way Itchy!

Hope all had a good holiday. I had a great Christmas. All went well considering my step-daughter drank Mimosas all day. She never appeared drunk though.

Welcome back Dee!

I got a crisis call last night from another alcoholic who was experiencing her first Christmas sober. What a blessing that was.

Have a great day today!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Its great to come on here 1st thing in the morning and read all these posts
You all surely make my day

Hope everyone had a rather sane holiday? Whichever holiday you celebrated as I now know there are tons of them from the post from Itchy hell of a disclaimer to btw..

Have a peaceful day unless of course you have made other plans
Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
had a wonderful day

and It's a Wonderful Life
Every Christmas my husband and I love to watch the Jimmy Stewart movie with Donna Reed, "It's a Wonderful Life". What a fantastic movie.

Last Christmas I was totally dope sick coming off opiates (quite date 12/15/10), and I could not enjoy the holiday at all. The previous two Christmases, I was taking opiates for orthopedic surgeries (pre, and postop) which led to the two year "problem".

Thanks for welcoming me to the one year and over group, after reaching my one year off opiates almost 2 weeks ago.

I don't remember what month, or year even, that I quit alcohol now, but I stopped counting after 20 years and have since forgotten those things. What a shock, after that, to have opiates suck me in. No longer. Gone. Finished. Done. End of story. Period.

Watching "It's a Wonder Life" reminded me of most of the other films of that era, how alcohol was such an accepted "fall back" tool for stress. The cop trying to catch the angel, who promptly disappeared in the chase scene in the old, derelict, house, was so shocked by the "ghost" disappearing, his response was: "I need a drink!"

I grew up thinking that was a normal response to any stressful situation, as "needing" a drink was the knee-jerk response for many ills. My mother-in-law's "Hot Toddy" for all menstrual cramps, respiratory illnesses, or pretty much anything at all, was not shocking or surprising to me at all.

Funny how generations change.

Well, everyone, I had a wonderful and clear headed Christmas, and I did not "need a drink" at all. Neither did my husband, who also quit drinking over 20 years ago, and whom I scared the hell out of with the opiate gig.

Wow. A lot to be grateful for this year.

Much love to all,

FT
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Re-Member

FT,
Thanks for the post. It has changed a lot. The same thought crossed my mind watching the movie this weekend too. But I didn't think it through. I also remember smoke filled offices, being one who contributed to them. It occurred to me reading yours that it was in your face then as well.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Same for me Murray, Glad to hear it. I was three months behind you. My biggest problem last year was grief. You probably remember I lost my younger brother a few weeks after I quit, who just keeled over one night going to bed, and didn't drink or smoke and was an exercise and fitness type. And then a few weeks after that in November, my first cousin, who was my age within two weeks, keeled over from a massive heart attack. I kept sober but last Christmas was spent essentially stunned in neutral. I shut down. This year, like your's was much better. I ran with your XMas PC kind of statement. I do Merry Christmas because I like what it stands for in family values. That is about it.

Another thing that changes over the years is my perspective. My brother was 56 when he died, and I remember when I was 20 saying about people who dies at age 50-60 that they at least lived a long life. Now at 59 I feel only middle age! But there is an older guy that has co-opted my mirror image!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Re-Member

RZ! You bet! Click here for a Cajun Christmas song!

Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Kablume! It is great to come here and be among friends with no pretense. I was getting a bit worried that my warped sense of humor was being taken wrong. Same to you kiddo!