Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 3

Old 12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Newby thanks for noticing!
So glad you are having a good holiday too! That actually is only half of the humorous disclaimer and terms of use I have posted on my website. (Anybody from here want to see it just PM me, as I don't want to post it here publicly) I used it because I actually saw last year some folks getting all over folks who said Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays on other websites and vice Versa!

Me I care not either way, and don't get into the political or religious discussions. And I don't do or appreciate proselytizers either. But here, we have a group that accepts whatever from us unconditionally as far as I have experienced so I thought all would like that disclaimer, edited to apply to a post not a website, as a humorous comment on the fact that we do have better things to think about during whatever one calls the holidays. It's kind of like the label alcoholic for me. Who cares? Whatever one calls it if it is causing problems like for me then time to stop. The holidays are a time to kick back and hug somebody for me. Especially if we have forgotten to do that all year long.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Cupcake? Who you callin' Cupcake, Itchy?!!

Speaking of booze in IAWL, remember when George Bailey crashed into a tree? After he stumbles out of the car, the owner of the house comes out and yells at him get back in the car and move it! On the plus side, drinking is a lot more prevalent in the dark alternate reality, where Bedford Falls has become Pottersville...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

christmas in N'awlins

thanks itch
Old 12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Itchy...I confess you lost me in the 3rd paragraph...and I used to read legalese for a living...lol

Well, boxing day is over. All is well in my corner of the world. I do sometimes wonder if my family will ever mention my sobriety...at least they have stopped offering me a drink. We are such good repressed Scandinavian Lutherans
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Re-Member

R&A are you sayin' you represent that statement? YW RZ. LaFemme, I know, the legal types all get lost at higgedly Piggedly, I hear that all the time. You spent the day Boxing??
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just got back from my third consecutive sober Christmas. Got to spend some quality time with the family, including a few I hadn't seen in quite awhile. I noticed those that were drinking weren't drinking like they used to drink. Hmmm, maybe I was the one that used to set the pace (or maybe I was just the bigger lush). All in all, this sobriety thing seems to be working out

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

A cajun Christmas
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Technically we aren't Cajuns as we are North of Alexandria LA. which is called "Ellick" by locals. Cajuns are down in the river parishes and the South of the State. But plenty of them move up here and call us Yankees in the NW corner of the State!

But that Vince Vance video is pretty cool as it shows every part of the State and culture, even down to the white shrimping boat boots. So know you know more than you ever wanted to know about Cajun culture!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Hi all!

Busy as always...hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

Itchy: Thanks for sharing the Cajun X-mas video. Loved it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Who DAT? How about Drew Brees and the Team from N'Awlins?

Chloe, good to see ya stop by!:ghug3
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Last night at the parents. I had a bad drinking dream last night...I dreamt I drank and didn't care. I think it was the not caring part that was the worst. So I will be sad to leave my parents but not sad to leave the constAnt drinking and being surrounded by booze.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I would be daunted by the not caring part too, that would officially constitute a nightmare for me.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee and our other Aussie friends, I just got this in the military news letter:

Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

Excerpt:

"According to the U.S. State Department, the U.S. and Australia each recognize dual citizenship. Serving in the military of one is not listed as a cause for losing citizenship in the other. The Australian defense site also notes that security clearances acquired while in the U.S. military are transferable to the Australian military.

"Australia is a great country and staunch ally, and aside from a common language, we share the same values and beliefs," said Joe Davis, a spokesman for the Veterans of Foreign Wars. "As our military begins to downsize, it could be a great opportunity for those who want to continue serving."

Among veterans who saw a story on the Aussie recruiting announcement posted to the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America site on Tuesday, a number said they would consider making the move Down Under, and some indicated enthusiasm for the idea."

The whole article is here:
Australia Looking for a Few Good [US] Veterans

If I were only ten years younger <sigh>
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Sorry about the dream, LF. I'm sure you'll sleep more peacefully at home.

Itchy, you would be proud of me. I updated my wireless router and connected speakers to the network, so now I can stream music from my laptop or phone from anywhere in the house! While I do not share your enjoyment for IT projects—I have a lead thumb, so to speak, so even minor adjustments turn into major headaches—I sure love the end result. We live in an amazing era. And now that I'm not wasting my spare time on alcohol, I can invest a few hours to take better advantage of all that technological magic.

Glad to see everyone is enjoying the holidays. (RZ, I meant to say you look great in your Christmas fedora.)
Old 12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good deal too, Itchy

great DIY job R&A

D
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

i think least is back

woo-hoo, oh least!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Re-Member

R&A,
Hey you will learn to enjoy them sober. I have two major IT projects that are on my to do list. I am just waiting to get a "Round Tuit" to get started! Good job on the streaming set up! I assume your main computer is acting as the server? I have mine doing the same double duty for media only via DNLA, as well as direct from the Internet content separate from my local drives bypassing my computer and feeding directly from the modem via the wireless router and the wired connections too.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Ah Garontee!
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

RZ!
Jus-tan Weelsahn!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

haha, I understood about half of your IT post, Itchy! (But none of the jus-tan whatchyamacallit.) Yes, I am using my laptop as my server. I would like a dedicated setup if there's an inexpensive way to do it, so I could access music if my laptop is closed/asleep. I can stream directly from my phone, but typically use the phone as a remote instead, using it to browse a much larger library on the laptop.... If you have any ideas, we better take this discussion to PM. The excitement could be a trigger for others.