Notices

One Year and Over Club Part 3

Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

IT wise...I'm into the cloud...servers and hard drives are so passee

Summer has her surgery in the morning...prayers and good thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Summer has her surgery in the morning...prayers and good thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
On the way.

I'm into the cloud...servers and hard drives are so passee
Well played, LaFemme. But a real man would never settle for a simple online service when a mountain of technological challenges sits there, behind a tangle firewire cables in the hall closet, just waiting to be climbed...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers T

D
Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Prayers for Summer sent. Let us know as soon as you do OK?

R&A,
RZ was showing off his knowledge of things Cajun with "I Garontee!" Justin Wilson pronounced his name that way in his Cajun character. He was an old comedian that made records about his Cajun shenanigans. One of his signature phrases was "Ah Garontee!" (I guarantee) He pronounced his name that way. Here is a three minute youtube of his humor telling about the squirrels. He uses the Cajun patois calling a shotgun a shoot gun etc. I can't stood that instead of stand that. He died exactly ten years ago. He was amazing:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I tell people that the New Orleans Yat accent sounds identical to Brooklyn NY accents they think I am crazy! listen to it here. Click the video and the very first girl talking is a Yat accent then fast forward to 5:30 time in the video and two girls with the Yat accent talk about it. Sound like "The Sopranos?"
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the Justin Wilson clip, Itchy! I used to love watching his "cooking" show, even though I can barely boil water. He made me laugh every time
Old 12-30-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

thanks for the JW clip itch,

haven't seen him in years
Old 12-30-2011, 04:39 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

prayers blasted out LF
Old 12-30-2011, 05:48 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Prayers LaFemme
Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

Prayers for Summer LF.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
part time member

This is probably a stupid thing to ask. Thought I would ask all the old timers here. I've been really good for over 2 years! I have the feeling like I really want to let go and have a fun New Years. Like all the other normal people.....Is that crazy? I feel like I am missing something. How pathetic am I?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing wrong with having, or wanting to have, a fun New Years - unless you mean fun = drinking and drugging, which isn't true for any of us here

I don;t think you're pathetic - maybe it'd be good for you to step back a little tho and realise the line you're being fed...there's a million positive non harmful ways to have fun

what are your plans for the night LTT?

D
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I don't know about you but I am going to let go and have fun for New Years, only sober. I don't think you're pathetic if you are thinking about it. Heck why do you think I am here. It wasn't from being smart enough not to get hooked good and solid. I do wonder why you kept the thought for more than the few seconds it takes with a year or two sobriety to bat it away. If you are thinking you can handle it, we all know better. If you are thinking of a few day binge they don't always let you come back let alone easily. The time doesn't really matter. I am not deprived, I survived and that is something. I hope you are over it by now and if not wish you the best. And hope you don't find your round trip ticket turned into a one way ticket. Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

there's some good ideas here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...eve-plans.html

D
Old 12-30-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Re-Member

And Summer's surgery T??
Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

LTT

i'm going to a bonfire,

though i wished the new band was playing out,

and many have asked.

perhaps next year

live it up hon, we can shure have plenty of fun without booze,

drugs,

or being a jackass
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hi all!

Spoke to the surgeon and everything went well...she comes home tomorrow...thank you for all the prYers and good vibes...it helped me a lot!

So I will be spending NYE nursing Summer. I think NYE in particular is all hype, crowds, bad service, bad weather, drunk idiots. It's the one night that doesn't actually tempt me. The only good memories I have of having fun on nYE was when I was a kid and the family would eat fondue and play bingo, open as many of those paper ribbon things as possible and then we would watch the ball drop on tv....now that was fun
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

That said, every once in awhile I miss being like everyone else...but then I remember that drinking or not drinking isn't what makes me different...I'm weird sober or drunk and I have more fun sober
Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

LTT, you have more time than me. I just know that in more than a year at SR, I can't recall ever reading about one of us being able to return to normal drinking. I can't drink like most people do; I tried and failed a million times. It took a lot of work to get where I am. I'm not sure I could do it again. Knowing all that, how could I possibly enjoy drinking? What would I be celebrating?

LF, glad to hear things went well. I feel the same way about NYE. Even while drinking, I usually preferred to sit it out. Too many amateurs trying to drink at the pro level. Nursing Summer or RZ's sober bonfire sounds infinitely better than the stereotypical drunken, bedazzled tedium.

I may be doing some nursing myself this weekend... Munchkin appears to have a cold; I can hear her coughing in her sleep right now.

Itchy, I remember Justin Wilson! Thanks for posting that. I was a kid when I watched that show with my dad—you mean the whole thing was a gag? I thought he was a real chef. An eccentric one, for sure, but a chef nonetheless. Hilarious!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Re-Member

T,
So good to hear Summer is going to be fine. Sounds like our plans. Coccoon in, stay safe, watch the large screen Plasma, eat and drink well.

R&A,
He was a real Cajun chef as many are. He started out as a safety engineer and added some humor to the safety briefs after many of the oil rig workers fell asleep. The he did stand up comedy and records and later did the cooking show bringing Cajun sensibilities to the rest of the country and world.
So yes he was real, in both arenas.