Class of June 2011 Part 9

Old thread here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-22.html

D
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having read the last few pages I just wanted to say -

I'd hate anyone here to feel 'less than' because they drank - I tried to quit for fully 15 years...the last 5 years I tried to quit weekly, and never made it...year after year... until I did I try and never forget that.

I do understand the frustration tho of seeing the people we've grown to love struggling...

if you look back at my posts I'm sure you'll see many examples of where my fear and frustration at friends who relapsed is evident.

If you're feeling harrassed - try and remember the folks here love you and want you well

Today I try to remember I have my journey to lead...and everyone else has theres...I can support you, I can encourage you.. but - as much as it still pains me at times - I can't save you.

That's your job

D
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee - thank you, from the bottom of my soul for that post. You brought tears to my eyes. OK, maybe that's not so difficult to do, but I think that long and thoughtful post is what we all needed. When I posted my first post, on June 10th, YOU were the one who encouraged me to pour out that half bottle of wine in the fridge, and I listened to you. That's pretty amazing cause I can be pretty defiant when someone tells me what to do!

And you are right. I have identified my biggest delayed trigger is people drinking in front of me and getting hammered. And I have learned to say "NO MORE'. That was difficult for me, but so very necessary.

You all have helped me in what will continue to be the biggest struggle of my life. Let's keep working at it, guys. Through all of this power here, we can do this.

PS Dee my friend visited from her trip in Sydney and brought back a pack of Tim Tams that I had devoured in seconds. YUM!
Old 08-30-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL Tim Tims are a far better gift to the world than Vegemite, Bratnik...

and thanks

D
Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OHHH Tim Tims. However redundant the name, they are MAGICAL. She brought Vegemite as well but couldn't find it deep in her suitcase. Perhaps that was a blessing? I'm so glad we have you here. Thanks for your candid wisdom.

And Juners, come on, let's get back to it and kick some a** again. I've eaten enough gummi bears with Dr. Pepper to warrant a stomach pump.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Having read the last few pages I just wanted to say -

I'd hate anyone here to feel 'less than' because they drank - I tried to quit for fully 15 years...the last 5 years I tried to quit weekly, and never made it...year after year... until I did I try and never forget that.

I do understand the frustration tho of seeing the people we've grown to love struggling...

if you look back at my posts I'm sure you'll see many examples of where my fear and frustration at friends who relapsed is evident.

If you're feeling harrassed - try and remember the folks here love you and want you well

Today I try to remember I have my journey to lead...and everyone else has theres...I can support you, I can encourage you.. but - as much as it still pains me at times - I can't save you.

That's your job

D
Amen brother!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OOPS that was Pumpkin, not Dee that had the advice of removing yourself from the drinking situation.

Thanks, my Pumpkin! Sorry I missed you the first time. (why do I love calling you "my Pumpkin" so much?)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL! I wondered if it was really me...so many posts...

no worries

D
Old 08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I tried to quit for fully 15 years...the last 5 years I tried to quit weekly, and never made it...year after year... until I did I try and never forget that.
I also tried to quit weekly for several years, and never did it. I don't know exactly why. Perhaps it was lack of confidence, fear, habit... addiction. So I was somewhat surprised when this time I began to gain sober days: 15, 30, 45, 60, 100 and more. I still cannot believe it!!!

I think it is helpful to convince yourself totally that you DON’T WANT to drink. It is not that you cannot drink or that it is not good for you... etc. If you think that, you are still considering that not drinking is a loss, that sobriety is a heavy burden, when in my opinion it is exactly the opposite. Just consider what alcohol has done in your life. As I progress in sobriety, I understand more profoundly that alcohol has been for me a greedy assassin, that I have been feeding during many years. How much time and money wasted!

Alcohol has taken away many years of my life. It is enough. Stop. As during all my adult life I never had more than 15 days (or less) of sobriety, I simply didn’t know how life without alcohol is.

Now that I know how life is without drinking, I don’t want to return drinking by no reason at all. No. I repeat it: No. I reject alcohol with all my heart, soul, mind, strength… I simply don’t want to drink, because I want to live and to be free. I have been oppressed by alcohol during many years. I have been in a jail whose name is alcohol, and I don’t want to return there. No, thank you. No, thank you. Without any doubt: no, thank you. If someone offers me alcohol, I will answer firmly: No, thank you (with conviction). If they insist, I will repeat, more loudly: NO, THANK YOU!! NOOO!!! Do whatever is necessary to avoid that drink that someone is offering you.

Last weekend I was in a difficult situation. Some friends insisted in offering me some beer and asked why not. Surprisingly, I didnīt expect it, so I was caught off ward. I managed to say that I had to drive, but I thought: if this excuse is not enough, I simply will escape, running if necessary –not joking, I was ready to escape, running if necessary. Eventually, it was not necessary to run, but I think I would have done it.

Try to convince yourself: alcohol is our ardent enemy. May be some times it will pretend to be defeated, only to attack with more rage and fury later: This is an old military tactic. Alcohol is my fiercest enemy, I have no doubt at all.

I don’t know if all this makes any sense. Anyway, it is good for me to try to express my thinking. At least, I'm learning some english. Today I have learned one more word: "tube top".That is:

PS: Beautiful photos of Buelah and Classical. Thank you. Perhaps sometime I’ll post some pics.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mariano - :rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko

Tube top....I never thought about somebody thinking "what the heck is that". I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

I think this where we all needed to be again. In good spirit, but also a better of understanding of what WE HAVE TO DO.

Oh what a good produtive day.

Oh and Dee....are you and Leo brothers? You, as well are a real keeper. Okay...Dee you are a keeper, and Leo you are a gem. How's that?
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm still laughing, I see Mariano's name, and I see this chick in a tube top..and I think..."why I thought Mariano was a man...who is this?"....then I read on. I'm still laughing...oh my gosh!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay, somebody just hit my funny bone, as I just went back to part 8 and I read this by Dee:

I can't believe you guys wrote 50 posts while I was asleep
How flippin' funny!!! Oh my word, I'm going to pee my pants. You should see me....this is great humor. :rotfxko:rotfxko:rotfxko
Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One of the AVRT techniques it to apply a moral negative to alcohol. The brain apparently reacts well to it. If you can sincerely believe that alcohol consumption is a moral transgression you will have few issues with cravings etc.

Not sure that it works or not but I thought it tied in nicely with Mariano's post.

I also got a kick out of imagining Mariano thumbing through all of the "tube top" images that came up when he plugged it into Google!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hahahahha Buelah I am laughing so hard that tears are falling down my face.
Mariano- what a heart felt post and to end it off with the tube top was priceless-made my night!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh Good Lord...stop.....TP - now I have that visual as well. I'm out of my mind laughing!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Tuesday- I'm glad to see you are here...and thank you for laughing with me - now I know I'm not losing my mind!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am here I have decided not to give up on myself this time. Even though I dont always feel like I am worth it- I am.
Everyone here has made a lasting impact on my life and I cannot thank you all enough.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We are all worth it - don't ever think any less of yourself. Smooches! Oh goodness, I'm finally calming down. How funny.

Mariano - a beautiful post, but the humor was an added bonus. Thank you dear friend!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wait, wasn't this all at my expense in the beginning??? Buelah, tube top??? LOLOLOL

Just sayin'...

LOL I love you guys. Tomorrow is a new day. Let's rock it.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tuesday - The only one thing I know for certain about you is that you are worth it. And I'll post that sentiment everyday, if you would like me to. Just keep at it, like we all do.