Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 4

Old 08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'm all for artists getting their money. I know some like their music being seen on YouTube, since it's a way to introduce new folks to their music. I noticed over a million hits on one Colin Hay video—that's a lot of notice for a guy who doesn't get on the radio much these days. It's really not a practical substitute for buying a song (I can't download a copy and put it in my iPhone, and I can't imagine spending the time to use it like a juke box, playing one song after another for myself). If I like something I see on YouTube, I buy it, making it a win for all parties.

But if it's any consolation, Mike Nesmith is doing just fine. In addition to any Monkees royalties coming in, he inherited a fortune from Liquid Paper, which his mom invented while working as a secretary. How cool is that? Thanks for the link Rosco—that video was a trip down memory lane!

OK, off to do a bit of yard work before I resume my layabout ways for the last day of my vacation.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I have truly ground to a halt, any remaining energy has flown to places unknown. I slept for 10 hours straight last night, and right now feel like I could do the same thing again. MAybe it is my bodies way of saying..take a break..I think today I will listen to it.

I am not going to look at my study or assignments. I will however read to my hearts content, and make a couple pieces of jewellery...both of which I find pleasureable. Hope I have the concentration to do so.

I listen to music on youtube, generally only if it has been recommended by others....I think its a wonderful site. Good on you Kev for having such strong principles. I always refused to use those music sharing sites when my Ex was downloading music off them. That truly is unethical IMO.

Enjoy your Tuesday when you get to it Undie Onedies!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

NZ was in the news here Manz [weather, snow snowmen, records that sort of thing] clearly i saw it and thought

Right im going to have a boggins at programming mysel with a type of interactive affirmation since many respected psychologists seem to think that expectations are a big part of how we experience life [day in day out]

Yesterday was tough for me. We are struggling together my fellow Januarian [Manz and i both quit in Jan].
Old 08-16-2011, 03:21 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope today is better for you Kevin

D
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling better Kev.

I am only struggling with a little cold, and money issues...so nothing as major as wanting to drink!

Another month versary went by, 7 months now...and I am surprised at how "un-special" it felt..which in my mind is a good thing. Because this means that I have accepted that my life is to be alcohol free and it no longer has a hold over me and I am just getting on with LIFE now. Good huh?

Carry on Undie Onedies
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Better than good, Manz. That's the best.

Hope today was a good one for you, Kev. And for all my fellow yearlings.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

Well, not much to add today. Manz, yes, 7 months and there is no fanfare, but rather it comes then goes. We live in the now and not in the past and it's strange how that changes my perception of things. For example, I was having breakfast with friends and one of them was talking about a new primary school that has just opened near him. He said that the principal had a plaque on the entry wall with his name, photo and title "Founding Principal". My first thought was that in 50 years, the plaque, after gathering lots of dust, will be committed to scrap! Important now (to some, apparently) but in the passage of time, it become obsolete and irrelevant.

I love Eckhart Tolle's saying that all "forms", ie, anything solid, eventually turns to dust.

I do think that when we get to our 1st years anniversary, looking back will be a fulfilling and heart warming thing to do. It would have meant all that pain and suffering for us and those around us would have (hopefully) ceased for an extended period of time.

I keep rambling and should stick to accents and music Itchy, I have been trying to find examples of South African or Zimbabwe accents but have not come up with anything. I did find a site though, on youtube, which gives instructions on how to speak "South African". I can say "right" and it sounds right!

All the best!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

lol, this thread is like a high-performance sports car. Revs right up, weaves effortlessly between accents, alcohol, philosophy, and music, and then—screeeeeech—it stops on a dime.

No news is good news, I trust. An uneventful day for me as well.

I love "Founding Principal"—that really did make me chuckle. Reminds me of the old saying about the politics of academia being so vicious because the stakes are so small. I think it's in our nature to want some kind of external validation that we're important, that we matter. "Founding Principal"—it doesn't even sound like it's addressing those of us in the present, but rather is aimed at people in the future who happen across it. Like when kids scratch their names into tree trunks or park benches.... Like the old war graffiti, "Kilroy was here" (or "Foo was here", for those down under).

The one-year anniversary will definitely be a big deal for me, Rosco. And your description of it is dead-on as far as I'm concerned: fulfilling and heart warming. Plaques are about pride; this is all about gratitude.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

*screeches by in TransAm* lol

One of the greatest pleasures of my life is knowing my old high school doesn't exist anymore....I think of all the egos and pomposity (and the institutionalised brutality it fostered)...now all gone...

and I smile

D
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Nice one D

R&A your correct it does go in jumps and starts. I also tend to agree that for many no news is good news. Im bimbling on. I flirt of and on with concepts of codependency so i am frequently suprised just how ignorant i was before i quit drinking

Today i realised just how insulting someone has been that is near to me [father] i pulled him on it. Incredible

Meanwhile im in love with cola and chocolate. Hope your ok Manz YN1 et al Kevy

Oh manz WTG on 7 months sista!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

Ready & Able, interesting comments! "Founding Principal" - it IS a form of validation. I need the plaque to complement ME as a person! It's really is a strange and funny conundrum (hmm, I don't think I've ever used that word before). But I say conundrum because it's part of our society. If you ask someone "who are you, really?", the answer is like a bunch of post-it notes, ie, I was born.., I am an Aquarius..., I went to this school....

Its another beautiful day here - it's meant to be winter but it's gorgeous. Around 20 degrees at the moment (that's 75F ish I think). Blue skies and no riots. I've already been to the cafe for breakfast & 2 x coffees. I am blessed because I don't drink!

Have a great day everyone!

Rosco.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

If you ask someone "who are you, really?", the answer is like a bunch of post-it notes.
Good point. If anyone asks from now on, I'll say "I'm an Undie Onedie," and watch them scratch their heads!

Not much of a soda fan Kev, but that chocolate reference has me wishing I had some. Life's simple pleasures are also the greatest ones, aren't they?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Well i am still here. I guess things are generally on a upswing. Yesterday with mum and dad was bumpy but i think we all managed to save the situation and everyone is ok and i hope continuing a upswing.

Perhaps i could manage my money better. Of course i dont work so......

Listening to classic rock today. I made a effort in it because its something my father likes so im trying to take an interest [actually i am there is no trying about it im listening to deep purple now].

My house is reasonably tidy
Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I have been in a funk for most of this week...and therefore not posting too much because my mawdlin mood would show! But I have moved on from my pity party! Thank goodness for that.

Rosco it is supposed to be winter here..and sure felt like it recently but today is blue skies, sunshine and warm enough to be great! I enjoyed a cofffee and cake with Wee Man at our favourite cafe.

I have so enjoyed getting in to making my own jewellery, it is so pleasurable to be creative. And this week I hva ehad some incredibly positive feedback from people about my stuff. I am THRILLED! When I have enough completed, I will post a pic.....although seeing as most of you(if not all) are blokes/men then you probably wont be interested. now that I think about it.

I must head off and take the wee man back out into the sun, maybe even head to my favourite beach with a friend.

Have a fab weekend Undie Onedies.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Sorry you have been in a funk Manz.

I do believe my maturity is raising up. In fact i just learnt something not 90 seconds ago .

For some reason today the chocolate and cola is not proving the panacea of pleasure as it was yesterday.

[that wasn't what i learn t though]
Old 08-20-2011, 10:12 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling batter, Manz.

Glad you had an insight, Kevin. I'm still envious of your chocolate though.

The crickets are really chirping tonight. Seems like I always spend the last few weeks of summer feeling a bit nostalgic for the weeks that went before. I think it started when I was I kid, when summer meant trading classrooms in for swimming pools, and fall meant having to trade back again.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Nothing major to say, just want to say Hi.. so.... HI!

Lovely day, full of sunshine, family and friends. The small pleasures.

R&A I totally understand lamenting the loss of summer....but each season does have its little pleasures right?

Nighty night all Undie Onedies..hope your weekends were great, mine is now over.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Good to see you here Dee, Manz, and R&A i wanted to say that so:p

More music and tunes for me today. For me being sober is often about patience.

EDIT: och i will add commitment and creativity
Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wondering what everyone else is upto--can anyone say Itchy?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Well, it's a good morning from me, 7:20am on Tuesday and it's another beautiful day outside. Everything is going reasonably okay. I finished a book that easily matches "Catcher in the Rye". It's called "Jasper Jones" and it's written by Craig Silvey. Craig just happens to live in the same town I do! Anyway, if you are after a good read, I'm recommending this book!

Not much else to report really. Perhaps we're all okay at the moment?

Our family has slowed down quite a lot folliowing me stopping drinking. I used to organise something every Friday and Saturday night. Copious quantities of red wine would come out. Now, it's quiet but I'm not concerned at all. This weekend coming? I've got nothing on except some outings with the family during the days.

I still get a little anxious when asked out to say a birthday party. I know there will be lots of drinking going on but I mentally prepare, play it out in my mind, what will happen, take coke, ginger beer (non alcoholic) and be okay.

Got to go - have a great day everyone!

Rosco.