One Year & Under Club Part 4

Old 08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

listen to some Leonard Cohen on you tube before you buy any Kev

D
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hows this as one for the record books.......

It SNOWED here this morning. That never happens..not in my experience. It was lovely to watch floating down, unfortunately not to stay on the damp ground. And I could hear hundreds of kids at the local primary school screaming! They were obviously let out from class to experience snow, because it truly is unusual here.

I do so hope that Wee Man was allowed outside at his childcare to experience it also....he has never truly experienced snow yet. I will call him at his dad's house this evening for a report.

Once again the small things in life bring an inordinate amount of pleasure.

Taking a break from study and writing of assignments, as my cold fuddled brain has had enough this morning.

Sorry I can't take part in the music discussion..I love music, but have holes in my brain when it comes to the retention of facts surrounding it!

Rock on Undie Onedies.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have never experienced snow either - but I'll phone you if it happens Manz LOL

D
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry all I got sidetracked for a whole day. I answered Kev and got called away, and forgot to come back. Oh well, such is one of the good things about being retarred, my schedule is open.

Rosco that is indeed great news! I looked it up and was even more surprised at the response being so rapid. I hope that it can be held completely at bay for him or her.

Manz sorry you are feeling under the weather, and from your last post that would be covered in snow to boot. I didn't know snow was rare there, but then again I don't know anything about NZ except for the scenes from the Lord of the Rings movies. You HAVE been doing a lot! Great Big Tonga guys whatever that is, and folding whatchamacallits under a holy top, as well as keeping up with studies and reports, all in addition to wee man and life in general. I wish I had your energy when you say it is down!

Kevin, until you can buy your music what is wrong with going to the you tube pages especially the ones with a set of songs like the last one I sent you? I am in the middle of ripping all my CDs which total more than two thousand and since mostly greatest hits and collections with more than 25,000 songs from all genres. The majority Rock and Jazz, but with lots of R&B and Country thrown in, and even some old and new school rap and reggae, and the obligatory crooners and big band. I have every major cut from about 1930 to 1993 and lots of newer hand picked.

I am making them full quality 320 kbps settings and have been feeding CDs in non-stop for three days and am only 3/10ths through them and each rips in about 2 to three or four minutes. Traveling Wilburys being ripped now. I like to listen to the first cuts while they rip. I forget how great my collection is until I take the time like now to go through them. I'll have them all on one Hard drive, with a back up in another location. I don't want to go through this again. But pretty much anything can be found online without having to pay for listening at the website legally.

Dee! You bet Leonard Cohen can be dark, but for me more so in his poems not the music. He is one of my favorites of all time as you can tell by my sig block. I even have some memorized from back in the late sixties.

"As I lay dead in my love soaked bed,
Angels came to kiss my head.
I caught one gown, and wrestled her down,
To be my girl in death town.
She will not fly, she has promised to die,
What a clever corpse am I."

I can't believe that stuck in my head! There have been a lot of beers, years, and tears since then.

I am feeling a bit out of it but am hoping thet the mild side effects of the Lasix I now have to take go away as they say they will after a while. Makes me feel punky.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow. I haven't read his poetry for about 30 years Itchy....
I am old. LOL

D
Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Re-Member

R&A I had to look up Ryan Adams and thought you meant Bryan Adams. Liked the song.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee!
You feel old???

I have gone back re-reading some of Cohen recently and BTW I just checked and that poem is called "Dead Song" And I got it perfectly by memory. I found that book "The Spice-Box Of Earth" actually online here:
Poetry - Leonard Cohen - The Spice-Box Of Earth
Dead Song is #57.

I used to do "Suzanne" and several other of his songs back in my Andy Warhohl and The Last Poets, Andy Warhohl's Factory scene, and Nico and the Velvet Underground (Lou Reed)fan days. Yes I wore Edwardian walking suits and Carnaby Street peasant shirts etc. I was a child of the 60's in the New York City Metropolitan area, and had favorite haunts in Greenwich village like the purple onion where we saw many famous acts before they were. Hung out in Washington Square when it was "Boss" or in English "Fab."

How is that for old?

(End of free association post. Brain cells downloaded with few lost packets, storage online complete)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Itchy you crack me up...and frankly intimidate/scare me a little with all that knowledge and wisdom you have stored in your head! Loved the image brought to mind of you in edwardian walking suits..must have been a sight to behold! And the poem, so sad,dark and yet romantic.

Was saying to a close friend recently what a wonder sobriety has been for me..re-opening doors inside of me that had been firmly closed...one of which is my enjoyment of writing poetry. It is however something that I keep for myself, very occasionally sharing. Wondrous is this new life of sobriety.

Yes I am still avoiding study, brain too fuddled. A Tongan is a person from Tonga btw. LOL. Google.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

R&A I had to look up Ryan Adams and thought you meant Bryan Adams.
I always worry that's what someone will think when I mention him. Legend has it Ryan once had someone tossed out of a show for shouting a request to play "Summer of '69", lol...
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your "thankyous" - much appreciated. It's been truly mind blowing. Each day there are new things that happen "just like old times". It's like 4 years have past and in a blink they are back to health. I've got my fingers crossed all goes well moving forward.

Itchy - you're cracking me up as well! Were you at Woodstock? I can just imagine the Edwardian outfit, flower power, NYC scene!

I was in awe of the whole late '60's era, make love not war thing until I read that George Harrison went to some love-in U.S. show and commented that it wasn't what he expected - he said that they were just a bunch of drug fuelled pimply kids. Hmm, that was a paradigm shift for me.

I guess I've forced a shift with regard to alcohol. Instead of me being the red wine buff, "life needs alcohol" (obviously otherwise it's impossible to have fun), I'm building a resentment and a disgust for all things alcohol (including business). Manz, that Adidas "con" is nothing new - it's called monopoly and the internet must be causing retail real grief! It's the same here in Australia - we have been paying way over the top for many imported goods (and for years). BTW, I've been getting around the "blocking" thing for years because I have a U.S.A. "address". It's a theoretical address and it's free (see www.bongous.com)

I don't think it is healthy for me to listen to Leonard Cohen or Nick Cave! I'm in a CD club and it's my turn this month to provide one or two CD's. It's tough going - if you come up short on an artist, you can get hammered by the group! After much diliberation, I've chosen two bands that we haven't covered before but are worthy a) Chemical Brothers "We are the Night" 2007 and b) Radiohead "Kid A". It's a lot of fun!

Well, enough rambling from me. Have a great day everyone!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

On a more positive musical note, I spent most of the day driving around listening to Colin Hay, best known for fronting "Men at Work" back in the 80s. He's put out some really solid solo albums over the past 10 years. (Proof, Dee, that some Aussies get better with age.)

Here's a relevant line from one of the songs in my playlist, "Beautiful World," an ode to those small pleasures Manz was talking about:

"Perhaps this is as good as it gets
When you’ve given up the drink and those nasty cigarettes
Now I leave the party early, at least with no regrets
I watch the sun as it comes up, I watch it as it sets
Yeah this is as good as it gets.

My, my, my, it’s a beautiful world..."
Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

"Kid A" is a classic album, Rosco. Your club mates are in for a treat.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I must admit I tend to shy away from the darker stuff since I got sober...it doesn't make me sad or anything, I'm just not on that wavelength much these days

I really like Colin Hays' 'mature' work too, Rosco

D
Old 08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

R&A I do like those lyrics...really made me smile. Must go in search of the song on youtube. Nice to smile when feeling sick and like crud! Thanks hun.

I just made myself some oh soooo bad(but ohhh sooo good) comfort food. Homemade pizza in the oven and smelling good. That will be lunch and dinner. Its not bad to half a pizza for each meal is it?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I'll try again:

Last edited by Dee74; 08-14-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

all you need is everything after the = sign in the URL, R&A

D
Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Thanks for getting the video to appear Dee (and deleting all my failed attempts!).
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

We might have to change this thread's name to "english accents and music tastes..."

I heard this song the other day and it made me really smile. Mike Nesmith's "Rio". Fun, light hearted and just cruisy.....

I'm hearing the light from the window,
I'm seeing the sound of the sea,
My feet have come loose from their moorings,
I'm feeling quite wonderfully free.

And I think I will travel to Rio
Using the music for flight,
There's nothing I know of in Rio,
But it's something to do with the night.
It's only a whimsical notion
To fly down to Rio tonight,
And I probably won't fly down to Rio,
But then again, I just might.

There's wings to the thought behind fancy,
There's wings to the thought behind play
And dancing to rhythms of laughter
Makes laughter the rhythm of rain.

So I think I will travel...

I feel such a sense of well-being,
The problems have come to be solved,
And what I thought was proper for battle
I see now is proper for love.

So I think I will travel...

Reno? Why Reno?
Not Reno, dummy.
Rio, Rio de Janeiro.

Here's the youtube link: Michael Nesmith ~ Rio - YouTube

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wow what a lot of music chatter. Ive added a few [colin hayes, michael nesmith] to the amazon thingy i use for bookmarking music before i try/buy.

Itchy i didn't want to moralize but since you ask me directly about youtube im a stickler for copyright. I have not yet done research on that subject matter and how it interacts with youtube music videos. I tend to buy from amazon [whom i love] and plenty of albums on amazon have track samplers which will be all legal and not copyright infringing

My belief/guess is that some[plenty perhaps] material on youtube is legal and authorized by the copyright holders but my guess and belief counter wise is that alot of the stuff on youtube is technically illegal

So thats my position on youtube. Since i dont yet know what is legal and what is not on youtube [or how to tell] i do tend to stick presently at least to purchased albums and legal [non pirate] radio stations
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I admire your principles Kevin.

There are two schools of thought with youtube - one holds that the the viewer/listener is culpable for copyright infringement.

The other holds it's YouTube's and the poster's responsibility, not yours.

I do know that YT had a big stoush with the record companies a few years back - the end result of that was that YouTube (Google) now pays license fees to the major music companies, and posters are to declare that the copyrighted music they upload is legal - some may declare dishonesty of course, but the bottom line for me is that this site allows Youtube posts...

thats good enough for me - but like I say I admire your principles K

D