Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 3

Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

least just reminded me when you do start the new thread it *will* be in Newcomers, because that's where all new threads start, until they get to 500 posts...

sorry about that guys - rough week LOL

D
Old 05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wow!

Dee,
That is probably a good thing, being in the newcomers forum to start that is.

That way the newbies can pop in and see that yes, there is life after sobriety. As good or bad, as we ourselves will choose to make it.

Memorial day is a sobering weekend for me, being retired military, and having lost friends over the years. It is a time I remember them, with my salute and my flag on Monday, and with a tear in my eye; I will remember them. I say sobering because I can move forward and they cannot. It reminds me that where there is life there is hope. And where the freedoms we enjoy here came from.

Australia and New Zealand have a similar Anzac day on April 25th I believe, Canada their shared British Commonwealth Remembrance Day which is observed on the 11th hour (11AM) of the 11th day of the 11th month. & Nov, and Remembrance Day Sunday depending on country.

For our friends from other countres here, our Memorial Day is similar to those of your countries. It is a four day weekend holiday here, it is a fun weekend but one where we stop for minute or two and remember them Monday at 3 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll be taking a moment on Monday for sure Itchy

D
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Spent the day with our troops on the USS Iwo Jima (Fleet week)...I consider it my patriotic duty to go in there and flirt with all the handsome men in uniform (sorry I don't flirt with the women though I am nice to them)....got to make sure our men know what they are fighting for and that we appreciate them

It was very different this year coming so soon after we got OBL....good times.

Then we watched the UEFA final in an Irish Pub...this time last year I was just starting my last run of drinking which I combined with going to bars to watch morning World Cup matches and drink beer. SO nice to watch the beautiful game sober!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

was that Fleet week or Flirt week T?

LOL

D
Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
HFA

Today made 11 months for me. Just thougt I would let everyone know I'm still cruizing along. Thanks to everyone for all your help and support!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's great HFA!

D
Old 05-29-2011, 07:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Yes, Itchy, ANZAC day (April 25th) is the day we remember those troops that serve and have served for Australia and New Zealand. The actual day is the landing at Galipoli in Turkey in on April 25th, 1915. I was fortunate to go there on April 25th, in 2001 - very moving indeed. Some of our best atheletes were killed that day in 1915 because they were able to scale the hills more quickly. We also observe Rememberance Day on November 11th. ANZAC day has become a symbol of Australian pride, spirit and identity and had become stronger over the part 20 odd years.

During the Galipoli campaign, we lost around 8700 Australians and New Zealanders. What is not known by many is that the British lost 20,000 personnel in just a few months.

During WW1, we lost a total of 65,000 personnel, mostly in the trenches of France. We had a historian on our trip to France and he said that even though the U.S. didn't enter the war until 1917, they lost 120,000. I asked why so many and he simply answered "because they fought some very large battles". Fortunately for me, my grandfather survived - he was very lucky indeed.

Well, all the best to all. Stay strong!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

LaFemme!

OMG! Your post made me realize that this is my first sober Memorial Day in Years. I am at 8 months last 21st, but feel like it's normal now. I honestly can't remember what I was doing a year ago, Memorial Day weekend. My youngest got married June 12 last year in Cancun and we went, so I was suffering with two broken ribs from falling when a PTO rod let loose unexpectedly. I know that I was self medicating more than usual. My son broke his knee the week before so neither of us could scuba dive with our wives as planned on that trip. But boy did we down a bunch of Dos Equis and shots as the booze and in room bar and fridge with beer was included in the resort package - no limit. But I can't for the life of me remember anything of the weekend but that for several weeks, including that one, I was in the recliner and not much else.

It really seems hard to believe I was that alcoholic from this side of sobriety.

Sobering thought for a sobering weekend.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats HFA!

Looks like you are going to be manning the over one year thread with little company for a bit. I went to my AA home group today because they called to let me know two of our group were getting their first Birthday one year chips today. Both of them were there for me in a big way. They look 1000 percent different for the better and I guess I do too. I have only attended twice since I hit three months, but they know I am fine and not one of those that they see next in the obits. I try to get them to come online and see SR but it seems they like doing meetings more than posts. I liked and like both. And it took both for me to make it. I dropped in two months ago just before I hit 6 months, and at four months before that because that small group are all my friends in the way that only those who put themselves in the hell of addiction, and needed others to get back out can be friends. I will continue to drop in every few months or so, or answer a call for a special showing for one of our member's milestones, to let them know I am doing fine too. Thanks for hanging in here too HFA.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for the info Rosco. I'll include our allies in my thoughts later today as well.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
Today made 11 months for me.
One year is an amazing accomplishment, but to share that joy over several months with people who I've come to care for is going to make it even better. Lead on trail blazing HFA

Murray
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Way to go HFA! Lead the charge to one year

I think that Murray is right...these threads where we are close in time make the anniversary's we experience more special

Rosco....I saw the movie Galipoli with a young Mel Gibson...a fantastic movie for us to see that sacrifices were made by non-Americans...its important to remember that.

On the Iwo Jima the other day I noticed a large banner for a program called "the Right Spirit" about deglamourizing alcohol. I thought that was a good way to put it.

Will be doing my moment of silence at 3:00 today...I'm working in my studio.
Happy Memorial Day!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
HFA

Thanks everyone. You are all right. It means more to share our time sober here then with those that have not been thru it. Takes one to know one, I guess.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Somebody start the one year and over thread. I've been looking for a new home since last winter.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you want to start it least - go for it

D
Old 05-30-2011, 06:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you want to start it least - go for it

D
I agree,start it up...
Old 05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Least...you should set it up...decorate the place, mow the lawn and fill up the pool...we will be there shortly
Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick hello today - it's 10:15am in the morning and I've done a lot of things but not much work! I'll get my second cup of coffee shortly and crank things up a little.
Well, I think coffee and chocolate are about the extent of my "poisons". I might have 4 coffees each day so not over doing it I reckon. I'm kind of getting fussy - I remember buying an instant coffee at a fete about a month ago and regretting it!

I love the new thread IamLivingFree has created called "The Wildside" and it's all about nature. Fantastic.

Have to go - have a great day everyone.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I mowed the yard, set up the picnic table, and made coffee. Come see!