One Year & Under Club Part 3

Old 05-20-2011, 08:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well at l,east I willl have 10+ months when it all ends tomorrow...xoxo
Old 05-21-2011, 12:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It isn't ending tomorrow!

It is the beginning of the end times they predict. It seems that at around 6 PM all the faithful/believers/members of this one radical christian sect/will suddenly float up and away to heaven and the rest of us shmucks will hang in here for the trials and tribulations of the end times when the antichrist will rule. WTF? I thought Donald Trump said he wasn't running?

Here's how the world will actually end, or at least when California will drop into the sea already:
End of the World. Flash Animation
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning, Itchy. I love the End of the World animation.

I am enjoying all the fun that this end of world prediction is providing.

And yes I am still here - although not as often - and it's getting closer and closer to 11 months of sobriety for me.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the 11 months!

Lyddie, I'm at 8 mos but as fast as they passed, in a blink we'll both be over a year.

Glad you liked the EOW animation too. I almost fell off my chair when I first saw it.

Yeah now that the religious nuts have had their day, next up is the mayan 2012 end of the world according to the mayan calendar. I suppose it never occurred to any of the alarmists that the mayan calendar ended in 2012 just like our calendars go from year to year. In other words they would print up more when they got closer to 2012. Or in their case carve another millenium or two in rock. :rotfxko

I get on here less often now too. I'm like a "has been" here. What a great thing, to be a "has been" as an alcoholic, no longer in touch with my need of it in the past.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lol itchy

Yup...I'm also using SR less. I try and offer some encouragement to the newbies and I like the exercise forum and gratitude but that is it
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I feel like I am redefining my relationship to SR. I want to use some of the time I have been spending here on other interests but don't want to completely let go because I think keeping in touch with SR (reading if not posting at the very least) is a good reminder that I need to be aware of feelings, thoughts etc which might lead to drinking.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Didn't even know there was a thread for a year and under. Better take advantage because it will be a year before I know it.

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
I feel like I am redefining my relationship to SR.
I think we all do. It's probably only natural. I just had a stretch where I wasn't sure I could offer up any wisdom or support. Sometimes just reading was difficult.

My hat goes off to those members who can greet every newcomer, to those who craft long, thoughtful, and constructive posts to those struggling. Lord knows they benefitted me many times. But for myself, I decided I didn't have the time anymore to spin out a long reply to a person's first post to SR...only to find out that was their ONLY post.

Anyways, hi there all. I'm Carl and I am blessed to be sober!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

LaFemme, Lyddie, and Carl,
I guess we can thank our lucky stars that we can press on without too much effort at this point. Who knows, maybe in another year I'll get the cravings I don't get now. I do think it bothers my wife as she still does both but not to excess. I don't say a word and honestly don't care if she continues to drink in moderation. I don't know what the problem is but she keeps bringing up my not drinking, like it is some sort of divide between us. I am starting to realize that we were a lot more codie than I thought while I was drinking too.

Sobriety isn't problem free. But at least there are no hangovers or bad judgement involved in it daily. I am not very good at self pity even when I was drinking so trouble or issues don't make me want to drink. Heck then I would be less able to deal with whatever comes up. Everything is better sober for me. Good times, bad times, highs and lows, sunshine and bad weather.

It sounds like y'all are on that page, or close to it.

I can remember like it was yesterday when I could not make it a few hours without my smokes and alcohol. When I could forget about things I really didn't want to do or rush them and not realize how sloppy my work was. I am talking about at home as I never drank at work. My problem was when I retired again and was bored and started drinking earlier and earlier until I was putting shots in my first coffee and the next three or four as soon as I woke up! Even though I wasn't a drunk as in stumbling and slurring because of my tolerance, and even though I had no issues with the law, I don't ever want to go back to that helpless feeling that my addiction gave me.

I mean that I so hated that feeling that I swore if I could ever break free that would be it. Never again. I will never again drink or smoke and become ensnared again. Been there, done that, door is closed, locked and I can't hear any whoispers or screams to do either.

No toying with the idea of drinking with restraint. No thoughts of how great it was and felt. No knee jerk cravings. Yes when I am with friends who are drinking cold beers I need a drink too and reach for a cold Coke or tea.

I don't miss it at all and am glad to be shut of it. I don't care what another does or drinks or smokes in front of me at all.

I always wondered what the folks who told me they used to drink but decided it wasn't good for them and quit thought of me when I offered a drink and they declined with that comment and nothing more, and now I know. They knew that they couldn't help or hurt so why do anything other than decline and change the subject.

Now I do the same, and thank God that I no longer have that ball and chain to drag around.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone on the < 1 year thread!

I got to 6 months on the 22nd May just gone so thought I would drop in to say hello.

Itchy, great last post! I'm in a great place at the moment. The only issue I think I have is damage done with relationships, not a lot but it's there. Little by little though, I think even this can become less and less.

I've changed a lot in just 6 months - I'm quieter (to the point where I'm sensitive to over talking by myself and/or others), calmer and a just better person. It helps by not having the consequences of drinking. This morning, I did an early bike ride with some friends. It used to be a constant battle the night before a ride "how much can I drink and still be able to ride?" I would always overshoot.

Anyway, enough rambling on from me! Have a great day everyone (and hello again, Carlos, Chloe03 and Swansong).

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow, sorry to have been absent for a couple weeks now!!

Murray grats on 10 months!

LaFemme - grats on your 10 months!

Itchy grats on 8 months!

Rosco welcome aboard and congrats on 6 months!

Just finished catching up on all the reading, heading to bed shortly. I hope everyone is well...!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Welcome aboard to Rosco and Carl

I stop by at least twice a day, but rarely comment. Don't know why, but I think it has to do with Life occupying more of my time, my not needing the support or needing to concentrate hard to maintain my sobriety, and the feeling that my words will carry much more weight after jumping the one year hurdle.

Murray
Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

7 months today. Looking forward to 8.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Congratulations SwanSong!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a GREAT day yourself

Murray
Old 05-25-2011, 06:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Terrific Rosco

And welcome to a great group. Congrats on the six months! Hey I have some minor issues too! They'd be major if I was still drinking, and I would feel like home made Iced Tea with sugar and honey to boot!

I am going to start some counseling for some minor codie issues in my relationship which is my issue not hers. But so what? I wouldn't be able to deal drinking. I am in a great place. Sort of like I had a tornado come through and mess up my garage but the rest is fine. Since I survived it I can fix the garage. Some poor folks didn't survive the recent tornados just like the many more who don't survive alcohol.

I am grateful for every sober minute that I honestly thought I could never experience again 8 months ago. I am not damaged goods just out of shape is all at living life fully with no worries about driving, the law, my liver, my lungs, and I came out with great health. Low BP, pulse, no diabetes or cancers, cholesterol or really anything other than the weight I gained from quitting chain smoking at the same time (30 pounds! Ouch!) I have lost all but ten pounds and that will be gone soon as the summer chores take their toll.

Anyway, don't think anybody is not having issues just because they are in a great place. The only time we won't have challenges is when we are dead.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." -- Henry Van Dyke

I believe that. I don't sing best, but you can hear me now. More importantly I can hear you.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good to see

that you have it in perspective Murray!

Congrats Swan Song! Time seems to have distorted for me. It seems like years since I was a slave to alcohol, not even a smidgen of it affecting me any more as far as wanting it. But when I stop and think about it it was just months ago that I was incapable of saving myself, let alone another. But then the time seems to fly, and every time I think about it, dang, another month has passed. I still carry my 3 month chip from AA! Sure I still have some issues from drinking physically, but I chose to abuse it, and myself, survived and moved on, so any issues, well, it is what it is. And those are way better than the first three months.

The best thing is that I'm still here, and moving on. And so are you!

Good luck bud.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Carl and Roscoe!

Congrats Swan song!

Fantastic posts itchy

So....some of us will be graduating from this thread soon...what's the consensus on what we will do? A 1+ club? An under 2 resort? An old folks home
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Re-Member

La Femme!

Then we will be really official with a real birthday!:day1

Me, regardless, I will live life as well as I can. And remember when my path got derailed for a few years, and smile when I remember that with a little help from my friends I made it.

You too!

Hey Dee! What do you do with us old fogey sober types? Is it like High School where we have to leave and can never go back, so have to get a real life?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do what you guys want - there's no precedent....

I don't think any groups ever had the sticktoitness to keep posting at 2 years before

D
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

How about the;

One Year & Under & Alumni Club

or

One Year & Under & Over Club

or

One Year & Under & Graduates Club

or

One Year & Under & Lifers Club

or

The Six Months To Infinity Club

or...

Murray
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hmmm while I welcome anyone dropping in on this thread or any other thread I'm a part of at the time I think there's something to the whole idea of having a 6 month and under club and a 1 year and under club as our journeys tend to have a lot of parallels.

So I'd suggest maybe a 1 year and over club or a 2 year and under club.

Of course, we could always get more extravagant and make a 1 year to infinity club, that could be perceived as having a bit of 'bravado' or 'pomp' to it though (wouldn't want to offend anyone here).

Regardless I'm definitely in for someplace to head over to once I hit my one year mark, which I have every intention of doing!

Good posts everyone and thanks for the congrats - time to settle down, cook dinner and call it a night (just got back from rock climbing, like Itchy I quit smoking to, day 81 I think, and it's great to be getting back into shape, eating healthy (by way of cooking!) and getting back to doing all the things I loved that drinking interfered with.