Notices

August Sobriety 2009 Part 12

Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi TB, are you back for good or just visiting for awhile?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

TB-so good to see you back here on the ole August thread!

So..fill us in, how are things going with your sober self?

I can only imagine that after 9 months of isolation it is scarey. Dip your toes back into the waters slowly.

((((Hugs to you)))
Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Bubba!

D
Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

OK..since the gangs all here, why don't we have a nice "family" meal as a celebration.

What would everyone like to eat?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Let's just skip ahead to dessert.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Deal...

Dessert and coffee it will be then.

I will bring red velvet cake.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Well, since sobriety I have taken up a passion for grilling/smoking stuff on the grill. Would anyone care for me to whip up some pork ribs, pork loin, whole chickens, wings, or brisket? I would be happy to make the main course.

Thanks for checking in Bubba. I hope we see you around here more.

Anew, your cake sounds great! I will have an extra large piece please.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Thats a deal grill master! What is your speciality?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Funny you should call me "Grill Master". My wife got me an apron with this exact saying on it. And I have a meat brander that I can singe my initials right into the meat. Oh, and I have a wireless meat thermometer that I can clip on my belt to tell me the exact temp of the meat. And I have the world's most complete set of grill tools and seasonings. All of which I use to cook on my Traeger wood pellet grill. (No gas for this guy). So as you can tell, I look like a complete fool during my backyard BBQ's. haha.

Sooooo anyways, I am not sure what my specialty is but I do make some pretty mean pork spare ribs. But I can make pretty much anything. I have let to tackle a whole hog, but it is on my list.....
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

bdiddy, with Father's Day coming up you need to get one more piece of essential grill equipment. You need to get some type of light so that you can grill at night, I think maybe a miner's helmet with a light in the center would work.

I grill year round. Many times I've shoveled a path through snow to get to my grill and chipped ice off of the burner controls so I could fire it up. I like doing a good steak with crab legs over the Christmas holidays. Now, I'm getting hungry.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I share your passion for grilling Zebra. I too grill all year. Stand out there in the snow just so I can grill. Oh, and I do have a light. It is on the temperate display unit of my meat thermometer. But I do like your idea of the miners helmet. That would make me look even more Geeky. haha. I shall add it to my list....
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Guys and their grills.....
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Guys and their grills.....

Yeah, kinda predictable . . .
Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Speaking of men and their grills.... how about boys and their toys? The older we get, the more expensive our "toys" get. haha.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Are you referring to my tennis ball machine.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

That, among other things that us "boys" think we have to have. I know between golf, hunting, water sports, and snowmobiling the price of my hobbies gets quite expensive. I am lucky my wife puts up with me.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Two years ago on Memorial Day weekend I was struggling to stay sober. I had just relapsed the month before after 5 + years. At that time in 2009 it was drink for 2 - 3 days, then quit for 2 - 3 weeks, then drink, then quit. I'm glad those days are behind me and I hope to keep it that way.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I hope everyone had a great long weekend too. Yeah, I have memories like that too Zebra. It is so refreshing that those days are in the past. One day at a time adds up to a lifetime of sobriety. You are working a great program and I have all the faith in the world that you will live a long sober life.

My weekend was good. I got some golfing in with some college friends on Saturday then we all went out to dinner Saturday night. Other than that, just a relaxing weekend at home.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

I'm here for good. Except I broke an intangible piece of my computer the other day, so I'm only here when I can get a computer at the library.

I'm also hungry... *hint*

Okay, I confess I'm pretty much always hungry. Just ate.

But ticked off. Don't know where to put this but here is good. If y'all don't want to read it... don't?

Have a place to stay for a couple weeks waiting on a job etc. This is good, and I am grateful. However, the individual who owns the place gets to thinking I am not looking for a job whenever I am not actually out there moving around. Computer does not count. Nothing made/done since the 50's counts, but that may be another issue. Jobs are also plenty available... you just go into a place and get one. How hard can it be after all? He did it all the time back when he was working...

I do not have a driver's license, which adds to my troubles but not too badly in the end. I'll take about anything.

Earlier today the nearest neighbor daughter got a job with a temp agency in a nearby town. I got near lit into for why don't I go there (they require DLs) and she has a job why don't I? I've been looking for seven whole days. 3 were weekends. And then when I brought up the DL point, he said how can I get a job anymore without a DL (what he was referring to was the ID/DL and SS#... which I have, in ID form).

I gotta figure out a way to get a job, and meantime I'm being stressed out. I feel ashamed to be there, without a job. I don't have anywhere else to go except to a nearby city and go to a homeless shelter and start the job search all over.

It's not really bad, just sometimes... like right now when I walked out the door and come over to the library. Most of the time it's just fine, seems like sometimes he needs someone to argue with and of course I'm the alcoholic in the family right. Not really... but the only one if you gotta self-admit--which is why I catch the brunt of it all I think. Cause now I'm defective, not so much for the drinking as for the admitting it and then *oh my gosh* going to rehab. I know I will never live this down.

I just want a job and to get out back on my feet, which as I recall is where I was before I went through all this alcoholic mess. GRR. I hate this being dependent on people thing. And people who don't work anymore and are cutting down anything I say, anyplace I apply (I mean, really? In the last 60 years I'm sure every company has had a problem or two. I get tired of hearing why I should NOT apply with that company, and then the insinuation of what am I up to and why am I not getting a job--together they are frazzling me.

Still been going to the meetings and such, went to a picnic on Memorial Day with them folks and that part's going good. I think. Just gotta find a way to hide on the weekdays, or something. Can't use the computer but an hour. And I can't drive, so I can't exactly get to a whole mess of jobs without it. Maybe one a day, if I didn't do the computer thing.

AAck. I'm pretty sure it's not usually this bad since I left rehab, but that's how I feel right now.

TB. Sober and frazzled.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hey TB, glad you are back to posting. It sounds like your road to employment has some speedbumps and potholes, but you'll get there. The good news is that you are sober which gives you a good foundation to build from.