Notices

June 2010 Sobriety Group Pt 5

Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Good morning!! I woke up in a really good mood, despite the fact that my older son woke me up at 5:00 am. (What is this??? No one in my house wants to sleep anymore???)

It's another BEAUTIFUL day and for the first time this week I don't have to go into the office. I'm going to go for a run in a few minutes, then take care of laundry, bills and other personal stuff. Then I hope to make it to the pool with my son for the first time this summer. Two of my kids are finishing their last day at gymnastics camp. Then we start our weekend in full force.

I'm so happy to be sober, aren't you Beth? It's so nice to be in such a better place, such a better frame of mind than I was last weekend. I hope to never go back to that dark place again.

HAVE A WONDERFUL FRIDAY!!!! WOOO HOO!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Thanks for the rosy mental picture you guys have created (Laura and Anew) in regards to what I can expect from my daughter in 10 years. haha. So much to look forward to.

Laura, you sound good. Stay in that place mentally. Remind yourself constantly that alcohol is poison to you. Us alcoholics can do ANYTHING we want, except drink. And once we realize that, the more we are able to do. A whole new world opens up... one we never dreamed possible.

Have a safe, sober 4th of July weekend everyone.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Bdiddy...the good news is that they do outgrow that stage too!

Laura, you will be surprised by how much you will be able to "lead by example" when alcohol is out of your life, and not just with regard to alcohol. It is as if removing the beast frees us. I am able to parent much more honestly, affectionately and lovingly. Being hungover or drunk was a dark cloud over my true self, once removed, I am constantly amazed at how much better it is to be a parent, fully present.

It is not perfect, at all, but, my coping skills are so much better!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Good Morning all,

I am so glad you're so positive and full of life Laura. I am working on it. But because I drank almost every day for 1 month my body is still in distress. So I haven't gotten much sleep this week and it is wreaking havoc on my nervous system and coping skills. You and AW's post sure have helped me though. It does feel better not to be hungover or worry about being hungover. The funny thing is I don't like me drunk, I am a blithering mess. Hungover isn't as bad now, as I would punish myself and do tons of housecleaning and stuff for dd the next day. This week I have let things go (housecleaning) because all my strength has been going to dd and getting through the day. I am pretty sure after the 8th day the insomnia will subside enough for me to function better. I am attempting laundry, my bathroom and vacuuming today.

I hope to have more to offer soon.

Have a wonderful day

DAY 6
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

I Got outside for a few hours with dd and the dogs and the X. The sunshine helps relieve so much stress. Nice to have a little help with entertaining her today.

Happy 4th of July weekend ya'll

DAY 6- over and out
Old 07-01-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

The sunshine helped my mood today too, Beth. I went to the pool with my son for a couple of hours and it felt great!!! Really the first time I have relaxed and enjoyed the summer. I need more of that.

Thanks for all the good advice, Bdiddy and Anew. It's so true. We can do anything we want, we just can't drink. That seems like a pretty simplistic statement at first, but if you really think about it, it's kind of powerful.

I have no doubt that I'm a much better parent when sober and not hungover. When I drink I'm a "hot mess." (Sorry, I just love that expression.) But it's so true and fitting for me (only when drinking )

Beth, I hope you continue to feel stronger and start sleeping better. I usually feel great at Day 4/5 and this is no exception. I know it just keeps getting better and I want to feel that. It will get better for you, too. I did not drink every day, was really a binger, but when I binged it really ruined me physically. The last time I drank it was a HUGE wakeup call. I felt my body really reacting badly, very badly to what I had done. The wakeup call was good because it's a reminder of how toxic alcohol is to me.

Okay, here's to a nice long sober weekend!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

LYDDIE!!!!!

CONGRATS on 1 YEAR!!!!!!!!! YAY! You Made it!!! WOW!! I am SO Happy and Proud of You!!!

:day

Enjoy your Day!!! :day1
Old 07-02-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Wow, Yeah!!! Congrats to Lyddie!!! Now got Shoei, Lyddie and HFA all who have made it to one year from this thread! Woo hoo!! (We are fast on their tails Beth, well maybe not fast but we're on our way )

I am in an awesome mood. Just had one of the most amazing yoga classes in my life. Today I was on fire, nailing every pose, pushing myself a little further and succeeding. It occurred to me just how far I've come in my yoga practice since starting 4 years ago (both mentally and physically).

The teacher today was so amazing and she thinks of me as one of the more "advanced" ones in the class and often asks me to demo different moves. This is a strange position for me to be in, because I've always thought of myself as a beginner. It just it goes to show you how you can progress at anything you want to, over time, with enough practice and dedication.

Mostly there are women in my classes. There are a few men, but I'm not attracted to them. There is one guy, ONE, who I have a crush on. So today I came running in with no makeup on, hair all messed up from the pool yesterday, threw down my mat and looked and he was sitting right next to me. I was aware of him throughout the whole class and it was a cool feeling. I felt this energy between us even though words were never spoken. Of course that energy may have all been in my mind, but what if it wasn't? What if he felt it, to? Just a really cool feeling. You guys are going to think I'm nuts - LOL. In any event, it was an amazing class, an amazing feeling and I was so ON!!!

So many days without alcohol in my system now (7?) and I'm seeing all the benefits first hand.

Have an awesome day, everyone!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Good Morning, I was just thinking about how I should've and really could've made it a year. I think because it was my first real attempt to stop drinking I wasn't sure if I could control my drinking or not. I guess the 4 or 5 relapses proved I can't, but the almost 300 days sober proved I can be sober, and be a better everything without alcohol. I learned a great deal about myself and seeing you guys make it a year gives me even more inspiration to be able to post my 1st year, next year.

Laura, we are Hot on their trail! LOL! We'll get there I just know it! Sounds like you had a fun morning. Who cares if it's all in your head it is still fun to have a crush. Who knows? Right? Plus I bet he is making you do better in your class so, cool. I don't think your nuts. After my Johnny Depp dream depression, I am not one to talk. I don't know what I was thinking. I don't fantasize about movie stars, and I have no desire for a love life right now. I blame it on the detox! Lol

Lyddie, again Congrats on your big day

DAY 7 (Hey that's 1 week today Laura!)
Old 07-02-2011, 12:55 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alexvt View Post
LYDDIE!!!!!

CONGRATS on 1 YEAR!!!!!!!!! YAY! You Made it!!! WOW!! I am SO Happy and Proud of You!!!

:day

Enjoy your Day!!! :day1
thanks for all the congratulations. It does feel good to reach this day and it is a relief too. I made it through a whole lot of struggle to get here. And you have helped me get here - thanks for your support.

The weather here is so beautiful and it is supposed to stay this way through the holiday weekend. And that is making me very happy too - real warm sunny blue sky beautiful summer weather.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:41 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

I was just looking through all the old June posts. Do you know how many people this group started with A LOT! I can't believe there are so few of us left. It makes me kind of sad.

So if any of you old June 2010 people are still out there reading this, just know you are missed and you are always welcomed back. It still works
Old 07-02-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Had a really good day! I think the detox is finally over FOREVER!!! I will never go back, not this time. Have a great night

DAY 7
Old 07-02-2011, 09:03 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Awesome, Beth!!! You've turned the corner!

Yeah, it would be great to hear from more of the people who started out here in June 2010. As you guys know, I joined SR in June 2009. I really should have quit then, as that is when I knew my problem was serious and was not going away. But like you, Beth, I wasn't sold on the idea of sobriety for a while and had to try some controlled drinking. It worked, some of the time.... but not enough of the time. I got my answers over time.

Thanks, Beth for your comments about my "yoga crush." It is fun to have a crush. I doubt anything will come of it, but I didn't see a wedding ring on his finger and he seems to be about my age... so you never know, right? I just enjoyed doing yoga directly next to him today. He was cool to do yoga next to! And you're right, I had to put on an extra good show for him today... ha ha. I'm glad I didn't fall over in one of my poses - LOL.

So tonight I went to the musical Mama Mia with my daughter and au pair. It was an outdoor show and the weather was gorgeous. The show itself was okay (kind of a silly plot and really the ABBA songs weren't all that great... LOL), but we had a LOT of fun. We relaxed and we were silly and it was an enjoyable evening. I had a snack and diet coke. It was one of those places where you can bring your own wine/beer/etc. (they don't even check coolers) or can buy some there. I looked around and noticed how many adults were drinking and was just an observer of it all tonight. I saw some people next to me drinking red wine out of plastic water bottle containers and thought to myself "gross." I had to drink wine out of a real glass or else it tasted bad to me. And it had to be a wine glass, not a juice glass.

I had no desire to drink even watching others drink and even was amused that they all seemed to be slaves to their little cups. I could tell the drunk ones by the fact that they were carrying a cup and doing a little too much embarrassing dancing. I just saw this and thought to myself, "I'm not missing anything good." It's amazing how clearly we can see this now, but when we're caught up in it, I would have been right there with them pouring my wine and getting a buzz. Ugh. Been there done that, right? So glad to be moving on.

Good night... it was a good day for me today, too
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Good Morning I am just having my coffee trying to wake up

Laura, that wine does sound disgusting, and imagine how those people who were drinking feel today, what a waste of time. That is 2 big temptations you avoided so far this weekend! 2 more days of the Holiday weekend to go. I think you will be fine though

I am thinking about going to church today, I need to look up the schedule. Laura, or AW what do you think about taking a almost 2 year old to the fireworks? Yay or nay?

Dee, I hope all is well in world.

Lyddie, the weather is really nice, did you do anything special yesterday?

HFA, hows it going with you?

Shoei, hows work?

Have a great day guys

DAY 8
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Yeah, Beth, I'm still having my coffee, too! And it's past noon here. I slept until 10:20 today and it was lovely with deep, interesting dreams. No Johnny Depp, but some past boyfriend action

I met with a Buddhist lama a few weeks ago. It was very interesting. He talked about how meaningful our dreams are, so I try not to discount them as meaningless anymore. I try to understand them a little more and see what it is I'm really thinking about deep down.

I hope you have a good day at Church today, Beth! I'm not religious but I do think it helps to believe in something outside of yourself. I get that through my yoga practice and classes.

So about the two year old and fireworks -- here's my take on it. It depends how good she is late at night. I used to take my kids when they were young and often they would be too tired to stay up for the end. My daughter, a night owl, usually always made it to the end. My sons did not. And there's a lot of waiting in anticipation for them -- like getting there early, finding a spot, keeping her entertained until it's time. That was the problem for me. If you think she could handle all the waiting and hanging around it might be fun. My kids actually liked the fireworks themselves, but it was the stuff leading up to it and after (fighting crowds on the way home, etc.) that made it stressful for me.

We actually saw fireworks on June 26th directly in our backyard. We live right near a country club and they have lovely fireworks every year before the 4th. It was a perfect show and I had no crowds to fight and a front row view. My sons came out and watched with me, while my daughter took care of our dog who was terrified from the loud noises. Beth, that was our Day 1 of sobriety and I took that as a good sign.... an awesome kickoff to my new life.

Yeah, I'm not really worried about this being a holiday weekend and not drinking. I'm not going to any barbeques or anything. I'm laying low, hanging around the house getting things done, maybe will take my kids to the pool today. I'm thinking of taking my kids to an amusement park tomorrow and then watching the fireworks on TV. This has been a great weekend.

I know it, right? Yuck -- red wine in a plastic bottle. I can't even stand water from one of those because I can taste the plastic!!! YUCK!!! I'm so glad I didn't wake up to an alcohol clouded brain today like many of those people at the show must have!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info Laura. The place where we would watch the fireworks has a bunch of kids stuff prior to the fireworks, and we would get the vip seats (reasonably priced) on the roof with free parking. Fighting the crowd and traffic would be a different story, and her staying up after all that excitement. I dunno, it is a tough call. Maybe we could find a place to watch from our neighborhood. I will have to look into it.

I need to sleep in till 10:30 desperately. I am up to about 5 hours a night right now. I am Jealous! I am sure with 3 kids you've had many a sleepless night, so you have earned it.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:22 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Laura, how great is it that you watched fireworks from your backyard!

Beth..I echo what Laura said about the fireworks. Also, you might want to bring some ear plugs, just in case the noise bothers her.

After some time, I have come to appreciate Independence Day in another way. I am free from alcohol and all the negative consequences it brought to my life.

I am enjoying just relaxing this weekend, no big plans, just a relaxing holiday.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Hi all, had a nice swim this afternoon with my son. It felt good just to relax, swim and play with him in the pool, no real worries or agenda. A good day.

I still have a lot of work on the personal front hanging over my head (bills, etc.) but I will get to it. I really wish weekends could be 100% dedicated to relaxation -- we really need that when we work hard all week. So that is one of my new goals -- to make my weekends more relaxing overall.

Oh, I did do a really big cleaning job this morning, I cleaned out our DVDs and videos and organized all the Wii games, etc. I ended up with six (6) shopping bags of videos and DVDs to donate. I'm going to bring them to the library. Since the beginning of 2011 I have been on a mission to organize my house by getting rid of unnecessary stuff. My Mom has been helping me and we have made a lot of progress. There is a lot in the way of toys to get through, but today was a huge step for me. I'm glad to see my kids were willing to let go of stuff they have outgrown!

This was a boring post, but I guess it's good for my life to boring at times. I've probably had enough drama in my life for 4 or 5 people, so it's okay to be calm, right?

I think we are on Day 8, Beth. This is very very good and the days just keep piling up. No turning back!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hey guys, so today was very off for me, I was very light headed and just plain exhausted. I always start back on the atkins induction when I first stop drinking, if I don't I would just eat sugar all day long. I know I have been there. So I think it could just be the combination of lack of sleep, detox and low blood sugar. I am taking lots of vitamins religiously every day. I dunno, I am sure the lack of sleep is taking it's toll.

I had no thoughts of alcohol and my X drinks wine in front of me everyday. Before i would always look at it wistfully wishing I could still drink (prob why I relapsed) now I swear I look at the stuff like it is pure poison! I really think my attitude about alcohol has finally changed. I really just know in my heart this time I will not EVER drink 1 sip of alcohol again. No biggy, I am cool with it. I guess I finally got it out of my system. It just has no allure for me now. It's not fun ever when I drink anymore either, so that could be another reason, instead of my hangovers being my main reason. Of course my daughter is getting older and I never want her to see me drunk or hungover again!

I plan on getting more help as soon as i am well rested and stable enough to take the next step. I am in no danger of relapsing right now.

Boring is better than Chaos Laura and drinking is boring and insanity these days. Plus, you sound like you're having a great time

AW, I am glad you are enjoying your weekend. Thanks for the earplug advice. I don't think were going to go. I think like Laura said it's just too late for her.

Night all

DAY 8 (yes Laura)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

congratulations everyone.....

Here is the link to your new page

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html