Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks for the kind words IALF

D
Old 12-05-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iamlivingfree View Post
NAT, you're waking up to 4 weeks sober!!, I wanted to be first to congratulate you.
Thanks, IALF. This is going to be quite a few days. you on 28 yesterday, me on 28 today, then you graduating tomorrow and me following up on Wednesday. Quite a sobriety binge!!

Hi Rosco
Welcome to the under 30 club.

Originally Posted by YouAreNumberOne View Post
Hmm. Well, I've got a few weeks before this happens and talking about it here will help me prepare
Feel free to let us know if you need help preparing for the test in Perth, mate. We wouldn't want you drowning your sorrows or anything - best get a plan in place early
Old 12-05-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Any sign of Sd?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Well I made it through - no skinned knees, slept really badly last night, so am going to be extra kind to myself today. thanks for being there guys - good to be part of this group

SD - Hope you're ok
Old 12-06-2010, 12:46 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoAlcoholToday View Post
Feel free to let us know if you need help preparing for the test in Perth, mate. We wouldn't want you drowning your sorrows or anything - best get a plan in place early
NoAlcoholToday - I see you have a marvelous sense of humour! Of course, I'll be celebrating a win with coke, mineral water, and miscellaneous non-alcoholic debris!

Thanks for the kind words everyone - Dee74, you're a legend!

IamLivingFree - perhaps I should come clean and just say, I've finished, and moved on from the drink. I was thinking that if I didn't do this, then their lives can go on as per normal. Ie, the shock of me not being a drinker and not "being part of the loud, rowdy fun" will be lessened? They would gradually get used to me without the shock/disappointment? That was my logic - perhaps it's flawed.

Zuri - well done on getting through.

Jackstone - my wife, I think would love to stop drinking. I think she's afraid that she would come across as boring. She doesn't drink a lot though.

I was thinking on the occasions where drinking is going to occur, then come up with interesting things to do. Last christmas, I said to everyone, lets actually DO something instead of eating and drinking all day. We played charades, did family skits and I hired a karaoke (never done THAT before) etc. This year, it's going to be the same - already organised. So, it's been a benefit to everyone when I've stopped (unfortunately relapsed too many times but no more!).

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

It's good to see everyone doing well after the weekend! I'm looking forward to a productive week!
Old 12-06-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Morning, man this thread is jumpin. Iamlivingfree and Nat...you guys are my heroes...way to go on 28. YouareNumberOne and Mayson, welcome to the thread. Day 25 here and still rolling. Have a great day all.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Can it be? Yes! My 4th consecutive sober Monday, and just got through with my 3rd sober weekend in a row. (Monday's aren't so bad anymore, LOL)

I was busy all weekend so didn't post much.

Day 23.

Have a good sober Monday, everyone,

-SD
Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Fantastic job, Sd. Since we hadn't heard anything I was wondering how you were getting on. Great to hear you made it through the weekend ok. Well done on day 23.

And you too coop. Day 25 is absolutely wizard, man!!

Phytoman, glad to see you checking in - day 23 is it or am I doing you out of some sober time?

Not forgetting all the newbies. Well done one and all.

PS weather forecast for Adelaide: Rain periods, easing to a shower or two early morning, before increasing to showers and a thunderstorm during the afternoon.
Looks like you might have got away with this one by the skin of your teeth, YouAreNumberOne. British press are reporting that you might need to start praying for a locust storm or something worse in Perth cos the rain wont always be around to save you!!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Wow, there's a lot of great folks here, all moving in the right direction. Challenges come and go but we're still cranking on, what a team.

Soon we'll all be trickling on to the 90 days and under thread. A month ago that was just a dream. I feel so alive at the moment, I hope I don't take sobriety for granted in the future, 'cos this is proper living.

A great start to the week everyone,

(NAT, do you think we might get a National Holiday if England win? )
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iamlivingfree View Post
NAT, do you think we might get a National Holiday if England win?
Well if we got a National Holiday every time we win against Australia, on current form we might never get back to work again! Do you think giving Ricky Ponting an honorary peerage might be overdoing it a bit?

Now, Tuesday is a veerrrrrry big day cos Iamlivingfree will be on day 30 and will be graduating to the "under 90 club" tomorrow night. What an amazing inspiration? We cant thank you enough IALF.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Praying for Rain

Hi Everyone - Well, I've posted on the 2 weeks and less and the Class of November 2010 so the "Under 30 Days Club" is last (but not least).

I keep having to count up the days - just to check. Does everyone have to do this or is it imprinted on your minds exactly which day it is? Today I'm 16 days and feeling a lot better than the weekend. Perhaps I'm on the up side of the roller coaster ride - that's okay, I'll take what I can.

Sdsurfn2011 - great to hear you made it - 23 big ones!

To all the group -Iamlivingfree, NoAlcoholToday and coop1 (5 days to get to 30!), , phytoman, Zuri, Mayson28 and everyone else, keep going - be strong!

Rosco.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
RGB

I keep having to count up the days - just to check. Does everyone have to do this or is it imprinted on your minds exactly which day it is?
I'm on day 15 so it hasn't been hard to keep track of the days. I think I'll lose track over time...

I asked my wife to remember my sober date in case I forgot it, but I have a feeling that one will be burned into my brain a bit harder.

Congrats on day 16!!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

RGB, welcome to the 30 and under thread, conbratulations on day 15 (soon to be 16). We're all on a roller coaster ride here, exhilarating to say the least!

Rosco, I do need to count the days. I've put various stickers on my calender which helps. Having said that, I really like the"Wow" factor when i've done more days than I thought.

I'm on day 30 today!, another great milestone for me. I've not been this long, alcohol free, for about 10years. All those New Years resolutions, year after year, never materialised, until now. I still can't quite believe it. There's no going back; my health, my mind, my sense of well-being, it's all slowly recovering. Which brings me to say THANK YOU, because without you all i'd be making yet another resolution this coming New Year.

Suffice to say i'll be helping to keep the fire burning until we're all on the 90 days thread.

Speak later,
Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Welcome RGB. Well done.

I am of the view that forgetting the sobriety start date is a good sign - it means we are over the absolute worst and not white knuckle riding anymore. I cant even remember which year it was that I quit smoking. Either 1996 or maybe 1997. Great feeling that it is so unimportant these days.

Congratulations to everyone, especially Iamlivingfree on your day 30 today.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think counting days is a very individual thing IALF. I've known people with long term success who do it either way.

It's been a long time since I counted days, but I'll never forget my sober 'birthday' cos. corny or not, I really feel I was born again that day

Whatever works best for each of us I think
D
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Iamlivingfree - 30 days!!!! - that's a month! Have you done more this month than last month? Well done! Wear that gold 30day medal proud. What song are you going to play on you graduation? I played Happy Christmas (War is Over) BECAUSE I'M SOBER but you might have already know that because I rabbit on.

30 days really is a big number isn't it?

Just reiterating coop1 (or someone's recent post) about the possibility of becomng confident, ie, yeah, I can have a couple of drinks because I can now control drinking - NOT. No, Nein, Nyet, Non. and all the other no's in the world.

NoAlcoholToday/Iamlivingfree - went to a restaurant last night and on the next table was Robbie Kewell (and family). Hmm. Forgot to check to see what he was drinking. (note there has been zero discussion about the cricket - there could be a spare ticket to the Perth Test next week )

RGB - well done on 16 days. This too, is a big number strung together.

I'm not going to put a mark on my calendar because it will force me to keep counting for a while.

Zuri and Mayson28, how is it going? Keep strong everyone!

Rosco.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

What song are you going to play on you graduation?

(there has been zero discussion about the cricket)
Hi Rosco

Dont know about IALF but I graduate tomorrow and I think I'll be playing Walzing Matilda!!

Perth here we come...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

NoAlcoholToday - perhaps I should go and sit with the Barmy Army? (everyone, this is where the "englishmen" sit). Well I couldn't do that - those guys start drinking beer at 10:30am, blow the trumpet, get sunburnt and don't stop drinking until stumps!

I'll give you the big WELL DONE tomorrow for your 30th!!!

p.s - great choice on Waltzing Matilda.... Have you heard the Tom Waits version? Very, very different.....
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to recent 'inductees' in this group! So good to see your steady progress.

I too have noticed a big difference in my attitude this time round. I just 'felt' different, like I knew I was going to make it stick. And, after 364 days of one day at a time, tomorrow I'll have one year sober!! Woo hoo!! And I never thought I could do it, but here I am! Happily sober and intend to stay this way. Living sober really rocks!!