Notices

30 Days and Under -Part 3

Old 12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi Iamlivingfree

Since I am planning on a Sunday lie-in tomorrow morning and, in any case, you always get here before me, I wanted to be the first to congratulate you on 4 weeks tomorrow. Truly amazing.

Tomorrow will also equal my previous longest period of sobriety during the last 12 years and then, on Monday, I will follow in your footsteps by completing 4 weeks. Thank you, IALF, for leading the way to such a magnificent achievement.

Apart from the obligatory month marker next week, I am already at the point where I am now keeping count in weeks rather than days!!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi IamLivingFree

I found it hard when I got sober - I'd changed my life DAMMIT - I'd dragged myself up from the gutter, literally as it happens...I didn't want a parade but it frustrated me noone else seemed to understand just how momentous and important all this was.

I think most people, people who've never struggled with alcohol, just don't get it.

And there's really no reason why they should.

Maybe, it's like me trying to empathise with my partner if she suddenly became allergic to chocolate - being the supportive bloke I am, I'd give up chocolate too - but man, I'd be sad to see it go....

congratulations on your 30 days - it's tomorrow here LOL
D
Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Iamlivingfree,
I think my spouse would really rather have me be a social drinker than a non-drinker. The first words out of her mouth when I said I was going to quit was that I just needed to moderate my drinking. I told her that that was not easy for me to do.

I had a small test last night - I went to a small neighborhood party last night alone - wife sick - took 3 waters with me. The hosts are big drinkers and after seeing the water, put the vodka and the tonic out on the counter for me. Well, I didn't touch it - didn't really want to either. Go figure.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!! I am proud to say I am on day 14 and will be officially "allowed" on this thread tomorrow!! YAY! Can't wait to meet some of you on here that I don't already know!
Happy saturday night all!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard Mayson
D
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Thanks NAT, four weeks IS amazing! I'm putting another sticker on my calender, and my heart is filled with gratitude to you all. It's a great feeling when you've surpassed a previous milestone isn't it, well-done to you too!

Dee and Jackstone, thank you for your comments about dealing with some home challenges, I was beginning to assume that my goal should also be everyone elses goal! Imagine if my husband decided to abstain from pickled onions and banned them from the house! Lol.

Jackstone, well done for staying on track at the party.Sometimes, I wonder if other people may feel uncomfortable with our choice simply because, subconsciously they themselves would like to be able to make the same choice.

Mayson, welcome, welcome, you'll meet up with some old and new friends here, glad you're joining us!

Anyway, have a great day all,
Speak later,
Old 12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Now its turning out to be a double celebration today.

Firstly Iamlivingfree is on 28 days which is totally awesome. Well done!! A mighty congratulations.

And then there is the small matter of a cricket match that is currently taking place between England and Australia. The headline in yesterdays Telegraph newspaper was "England punish clueless Australia". So you can imagine why I went to the Telegraph website this morning before coming here.

Its a bit tricky to explain to the Americans amongst us but England are on 551 runs with only 4 of our batsmen used. This is more than double what Australia scored and we haven't even used half of our batsmen yet. Nothing short of a humiliation. Little wonder Australia are begging for rain tomorrow - and after all the talk about the pommies needing to bring our suntan oil. Bwahahaha. I'm totally made up for the whole week!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:38 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Welcome mayson28.

Great to have you aboard. Well done!!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

NAT,

I had a feeling you'd mention the cricket today!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iamlivingfree View Post
NAT,

I had a feeling you'd mention the cricket today!
I totally forgot to mention, we trounced Australia in the rugby at Twickenham a couple of weeks ago and then again in the rugby 7's. If I was a drinking man...

Australia, puleeeeeeeeease try to beat the pommies at something soon so we can get back to whinging!
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Mayson!

I've completed 3 weeks now. That adds up to a chunk of extra money in my Christmas budget! It's amazing how much money we wasted in order to get wasted....
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Just checking in today - would've done it earlier, but I'm trying not to skin my knees! Rough day here folks, but hanging in there.....................just. Catch you all tomorrow, take care.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Phytoman, I agree, the money saved is just great isn't? Even with the odd "treat", (I like books), the money saved is awesome, definately handy at Christmas.

Another wow factor is the recyling. I used to be so embarassed each week when I put the bottles outside for collection! Lol.

Zuri, keep it going. It can seem difficult at times, but I find that every morning when I wake up clear headed, the "real me" is stronger, and the "Gremlin" is so much weaker. The fabulous thing to remember is that this battle is most certainly winnable! and the prize is freedom.

Tell me if i'm becoming a bit too evangelical won't you!

Anyway, hope you've all had a great day. Start of a new week tomorrow, we can do this together!

Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Well, Zuri - hang in there! I'm joining this group because I'm now on day 15. I've just posted in the "2 weeks and less" and will continue to help them as well! Mayson28 - congrats to you for making it. Murray 4x5 posted yesterday (worth reading) - he's quite a few months in to soberhood and is finding easier and easier. That's good to know. It will be nice to see the withdrawals eventually disappear and never to come back!!!!

NoAlcoholToday - I'm going to the 3rd Test in Perth next week. My enthusiasm to go is starting to wane though!

As I said on the 2weeks thread, I was really flat over the weekend - as much enthusiasm as a dead ant but I've picked up and don't feel so bad. I think it was the friday night party? Not sure. So, the roller coaster ride - yep, for sure.

Well, keep going guys - I'm glad I've logged on here because it means that I'm 15 days or better!

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really expected recovery was gonna be a straight line Rosco...but it was helpful to realise it's not.

we all have little eddys and lows - I certainly did - and sometimes it might even seem like we're doubling back...but thats what groups like this are for - and if we stick with it, we get to the exponential growth.

You're doing great - you all are, gang

D
Old 12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hey guys, sorry a little late today. Had a busy day today. Day 24...still rolling. Will talk at you tomorrow.

Coop
Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Well, to get to 30 days means getting to just before christmas day. That would be awesome. Can't wait to get the "30 days free" badge. Is it sort of gold looking with a big 30 on it? Could I wear it on christmas day? Really looking forward to earning /getting it, I can tell you.

The days after christmas will be my real test. This is when we go away with lots of friends and for the past 8 years or so, we play cards, go fishing, crabbing, swimming and drink, drink, drink with the build up to New Years Eve. The guys have already started talking about bringing their "top shelf reds" down. I don't think I need to avoid it because I feel confident enough to do it.

Hmm. Well, I've got a few weeks before this happens and talking about it here will help me prepare. One of the crew have to be driven back to work on New Years Day - leaving 8am. I put my hand up so fast! Gee, who would volunteer for that? Must be weird! I'll be the one smiling though.

Great to see you dropped in coop1!
Iamlivingfree - no, you are not becoming too evangelical! Perhaps it's a natural thing to become more circumspect, compassionate and understanding when sober.
phytoman - great point about the money! Because I became an "expert" (BS) on red wine, I couldn't drink cheap wine so I was spending big $$ on the "better" wines. So, a couple of bottles each trip was costing me $60 - $80. Not good.

I wish everyone a great week and may the strength be with you all.

Rosco.
Life=Fun; Alcohol=Devastation.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Rosco, welcome,and congratulations on your 15 days plus. Your time away with your pals sounds like it could be a challenge. Have you told them all that you're not drinking anymore, so they're prepared? My bet is, with fruit juice in your hand, you'll win all of the card games, catch the most fish, and swim the farthest!

I'm starting day 29.

Dee, i've taken a peak at the 90 days and under thread and i'm relieved to see you keep a gentle watch over us there too! I've said it before, I know, but you are a blessing.

Have a great clear headed day everyone,

Speak later.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

NAT, you're waking up to 4 weeks sober!!, I wanted to be first to congratulate you.