Notices

Whiners Anonymous Part 40

Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Maybe I just don't do houseguests very well.
Houseguests like that I wouldn't 'do' very well either!

I hear ya on the flea-thing. Yuck. Get rid of the ones on her, spray the hell out of the mattresses and carpets, and take steps to keep her from getting them. I sent you an email with my tried and true method. Not vet approved but nary a flea in at least ten years now; not on the animals, not in the house!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

but nary a flea
Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

I sent you an email with my tried and true method.
hmmm...patent-pending?? must be a secret-sauce kinda recipe. lolol.

I have a neighbor whine.

Last week, out of no where, a hand-made wooden tomato trellis appeared in my back yard, placed just on the edge of the woods, but still on my property.

It's not mine. The woman before me left two small ones on one side of the house that I've left there - that's all I've ever had. This one is twice the size.

I'm sure it belongs to the old geezer next door. If the woman who lived here before me gave it to him and now he doesn't want it, sorry, I only bought her house; not the gifts she gave anyone.

I decided to let the incident go.

Today, however, I noticed that all of the pine branch trimmings that had grown over onto my property line (from his trees) were laying in a pile, in my yard, from where they were snipped from just above the pile!

WTF??!!

Five years of being here; not a peep out of him and he's acting up now? Nobody except his frail wife lives with him. I'm as quiet as a mouse and nothing has changed with me.

I got my fish-eye on him (sees all). He best not mess with this bee!!

Or there's going to be some real fireworks going on here this weekend!

SO annoying, but it makes for some supreme whine material.

BTW, I've given up on the thanks button. Could be developing a thank-itis finger condition for all the times I've clicked on it and it doesn't show up.

Hevyn, will be glad to see you back here! I had an awkward phone call with an old friend recently. We struggled to make conversation. I guess we fell out of like - not bad; not good, just different (we had grown in different directions). It happens.

Rest assured that we're still here for ya! Still wacky and whiney as ever!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Hev,

pass these on!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Zip,

Those must be some *thick* fingernails to need them kinda scissors!!!

The July 4 boomers have begun. Raven is against them.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

my tried and true method.
Nothing so mysterious as a secret sauce. Just one third garlic powder to two thirds brewer's yeast, kept in an old clean spice shaker jar. I put two 'shakes' on my dogs' dry dog food (twice a day) and one shake on the cats dry food. No more than a tsp per dog per day and a half tsp per cat. It makes the blood 'taste' bad to fleas and makes a body odor of garlic that repels the fleas. (I do not notice any bad odor on my dogs or cats so it's not enough to make them smell bad to us, only to fleas)

I swear on a stack of dictionaries I haven't had a flea in at least ten years. It's such a joy to not worry about the nasty critters. And brewer's yeast has a lot of B vitamins, and garlic (in small amounts) is a wonderful blood purifier and all round tonic.... and keeps vampires away too...

I introduced ffb to it a wee bit at a time over a couple weeks. Now he eats his food and doesn't sniff it sneeringly first and ignore it. It does not work on existing flea infestations but once they're flea-free it keeps the fleas from coming back.

I've heard a lot of conflicting info and opinions about garlic being toxic to dogs and cats but it hasn't done a bit of harm to mine. So take it with a grain of salt and try it if you want to.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Bam, it could very well be that the strays/adoptees in the neighborhood have fleas and somebody brought a couple into the house after petting them. I have spotted a flea in my vehicle before (that was obviously me, transporting them from the house to the car - yuck).

Least, I have heard about the garlic idea, but I was too lazy to create the concoction. Plus, I had such a hard time getting him to eat wet food. He does love to PLAY with garlic though. He likes the papery sound and it's yet another "ball" to kick around. Very athletic cat.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

...So take it with a grain of salt...
Great pun!! lol.

I've seen flea products for pet food that claim to make their blood taste bad. Never tried 'em. Don't know what's in them either..sounds reasonable tho.

(Does ffb have a name? He's not a former or a foster anymore, altho is still a boy, eh? What was his name before you got him)?

Raven was a stray so he obviously brought fleas into the house. I bombed the house once; we both left for a couple of hours while I had him professionally groomed in a nice flea bath.

I sprayed the car down good, mats and all. I'm glad that he's preferred to be an indoor cat.

I do get strays that come up on the deck and sometimes sleep there too. I keep a spray handy from NaturVet (a mix of rosemary and cedar oil) that I use on my welcome mats and around Raven's litter box. It works for me (and smells nice too).

Flea and tick products are a bazillion $$ industry and there's enough info to make your head spin!

The only real satisfaction I got with another kitty I had (who got fleas from its mother) was to use one of those very fine combs, going head-to-tail and underneath too, but I would submerge the comb - full of fleas - in a bucket of water to drown the suckers.

Just wiping the comb clean doesn't kill 'em. You gotta drown 'em.

For ticks, after removing them from the animal, I light them with a match and watch them pop and die.

I'm a sweet, yet savage, gal when it comes to disgusting insects...just call me Snow White with Razor Blades (as I told a friend recently).
But Zip......................I *love* flea markets!!! :rotfxko
Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Boo for fleas! I never thought I would know so much about them without actually owning an animal...

Had a weird experience with a friend ealier tonight. It left me a little unsettled. When she left my house I was really concerned about her state of mind. I was glad she called a few minutes later and we were able to clarify some things and she was able to talk some things out so I felt okay about leaving her by herself. I really struggle with walking that line between helping someone and doing more than I should do. I can tell that she's going to need some help for the next little while and the very thought makes me tired. I know I need to be careful not to be helpful to her at my own expense (trying not to be a codie) but I've had a lot of my own stuff going on and boundaries get blurry when my stuff and other people's stuff gets mixed.

Well, whining may not solve it, but at least I feel a little better!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

HB
But Zip......................I *love* flea markets!!!
now, those flea's i'm king of!

Happy Fourth of July Whiners

Old 07-03-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Does ffb have a name?
Yes indeed, it's Jack! He showed me his love and loyalty last night when we were all in bed. I heard ck coming in and as soon as Jack heard her key in the lock he started barking and growling and ran toward the door! Of course, as soon as they came in he ran upstairs, but he sure was brave when they were outside the door! But really, that's all I need is a warning, to give me time to aim...

Another gorgeous morning here but the temps are supposed to go way up - no more mild weather for us, it's supposed to be in the upper 80s today and hotter tomorrow. Very little I have to do today so will just spend it quietly at home with the dogs.

Hugs to all my whining friends!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:00 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Just called the vet. Isis is too young for Frontline (maybe in a couple weeks I can give that to her), but what I can do is continue to use the flea comb...

...and give her a bath with Dawn dish soap.

Oh no! She's not going to like that....I already had to soap her bum and back legs when she sat in her poo ealier in the week. Poor thing. (And I was just petting her and she stuck her butt near my face. Eww. I love you Isis, but I don't want to smell your stinky butt.)

I keep seeing that flea...and I *almost* got it. Damn thing keeps hiding in her plentiful fur right near her face and neck. It's nearly impossible to comb there.

I'm washing all of my clothing and bedding today and I'm going to vacuum later.

Other than the flea(s) Isis is doing really well. She's been up since four this morning playing. And I'm estatic to report that her poo has firmed up quite nicely. She crapped out little-non-gooey turds this morning! That means the medicine is working and that she's adjusting well to her diet change. Woo hoo!

I haven't been able to tell, but my parents said that they noticed that even in a week's time she's growing.

Hope everyone has a good weekend...I'm just glad to have 3 days off.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

HB, please don't hesitate to talk to your neighbor. The longer you let it go the more problems you're going to have...and the more defensive he'll be. I know you know this...I'm just trying to light a firecracker under your ass.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Thanks for the ka-boom under myBam.

I've decided not to let this fester and explode (so to speak). I love my home/neighborhood too much to make it unpleasant. Besides, I wouldn't even want to think of putting my house on the market..

Duh....forgot all about the Dawn liquid soap. My groomer swears by it to kill fleas. I used a swish-ful of it in the drowing bucket to kill 'em, then wiped the comb clean in the Dawn dishsoap water before combing again.

When you vacuum, be sure to take the bag out or empty the cannister outside - not in the house - when you're done vaccuuming. The little buggers will jump out of the bag and back onto the floor/carpet if it's emptied in the house.

Wash the clothes/bedding in *hot* water. Cold won't kill them.

You're doing great in getting a handle on it. Isis will love you for it. Enjoy your 3 days off - you've earned them!

Sarah, helping a friends vs. allowing them to help themselves is a toughie. I always ask myself what my motivation is when trying to help. If the answer has even a hint of codie to it, I lovingly detach and just let the person know that I do care, but I can't fix it for them.

Zip.....that's some wagon full o' flea stuff.....let's do some horse tradin'!!

Have a great day everyone (you too, Jack! Good protector)!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome back, Hevyn and good riddance to the company from hell.
I really dislike people like that...they are whiners but not in a healthy way like us

It's been a perfect weekend here, lots of holiday activities going on and we're going on a boat cruise
for a few hours tomorrow up through the 30,000 islands in Georgian Bay....quite a beautiful ride.

So I shall be scarce here but thinking of my whiner friends and cheering you all on .
Old 07-03-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
part time member

Carry on....
Old 07-03-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovesToTravel View Post

Carry on....

.......a one eyed fish,perhaps?????

Old 07-03-2010, 05:32 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

the rule 62 band played today at a pig roast,

the brain behind the scenes put us on blacktop,

no trees or shade, and at 1 in the afternoon!

i must have drank 2 gal's of water,

and let me tell you, did you ever have to pee so bad while playing a set on a drum kit!

a breeze here and there did help save me!
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Administrator

at least you were sitting down Zip...the rest of us musos have to stand up and hold it in
LOL

D
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OZboy
.......a one eyed fish,perhaps?????

Pretty sure that was LTT's pic for me having my fish-eye on my crabby neighbor...fish eye sees all. Thanks LTT...great likeness! lolol.

Zip.....love the band name!

Hmmm....88 degrees, full sun, on blacktop....not so much.

Glad you practiced some self-control...way to go!...or in your case, way to not go!