Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks -Part 9

Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pemulis View Post
Hi everyone

I posted here a few times before - hopefully I'll actually stick around this time. Day 1 for me and it has been .... interesting. I got into work today and my boss called me into her office and reprimanded me for not being on top of my work and gave me a written warning. She had done this once before and I was scared about losing my job. She knew something was up with me, and I broke down and confessed about my drinking, on the verge of tears and everything. Her son is a heroin addict who's been clean for a year, so she was very understanding. She told me I should go to my parents house this weekend and tell them about it. So I composed myself (took a while), made some calls and got an appointment to a substance abuse place on Monday. Called my mom told her I had to come home and talk to her.

So I hopped the train to my parent's house and told my mom what I told my boss (very difficult conversation) she took it better than I thought she would. It's a lot easier to not drink here then it is sitting in my apartment, but I'm still craving a drink. Starting to get anxious and a little depressed as well. Think I'll make some popcorn and throw on the Big Lebowski.
I had situation that sounds a lot like that. I actually stopped drinking for 13 months then. I did pick up again and find myself with a written warned I will be receiving random UA's. Didn't happen so so today I am on day 3 now and as far as I know still have a job.

Thank you for sharing your story. Please keep in touch with is here and I will do the same back to you. Enjoy the movie.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Day 4, aka: Well that didn't go so well

Days 1-3 went surprisingly well. Some mild physical symptoms (chills, sweating), a little bit of anxiety and cravings, but less than I expected. Then, today came. I went to work and was more productive today than in about every day in the last month combined. I was pretty happy with myself, and was on my way to do an eval at an outpatient rehab place. I walk through the door, and the receptionist seems to not pay attention to me. Then I glance to my right and what do I see?

Under an empty box is an empty case from my favorite brewery. Filling out forms, waiting to be seen and all I can think about is cracking open a hop devil. So I talk with the therapist for about 5 minutes, and basically its in one ear and out the other. I'm sorry, but when my first impression of a place makes me think of drinking all credibility is out the door. My cravings got even worse leaving, being completely disenfranchised about the whole experience. All I could think of is drinkdrinkdrink.

Luckily, when I got home I popped in a pinch of skoal (disgusting? absolutely, but its more relaxing and long lasting than cigarettes - besides, my lungs are in need of a break), and now I'm feeling much more relaxed and the cravings have subsided. Time to go do laundry and grab some ramen from the corner store for dinner (apparently my body wants more than one meal a day when I'm not drinking). I'll probably pop in later to at least read some threads for some additional inspiration, but luckily those intense cravings passed. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

CB.....pemulis .....Yes! yoou are making sober progress!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LG1

I'm reluctant to say this is Day 1 because I don't know if I can commit to this. I've been here on SR earlier this spring and the most I've made it sober was 5 days. And to do that I had to alienate myself from my family, friends and basically everyone around me. And yet... here I am again.

Everyone else around me is comfortable with their drinking... but I'm not. The little voice in my head always convinces me "it's okay this time" but by the morning I'm hung over and disappointed with myself for drinking. And that following day is a total waste. Then on day 2 or 3 I start the cycle all over again.

My father is one of my best friends and drinking buddies and this is his cycle (minus the guilt), too... he thinks I'm over-reacting and doesn't seriously support my sobriety.

So I'm sorta lost right now. I can only hide in my house so long before people start asking "Where's Alan?"

Thanks for listening. Hope sobriety sticks this time.

~ Alan
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR and our Daily Support thread Alan

It is difficult to keep sober for everyone and
especially when you are around drinkers.
Sorry to know that is your situation.

Have you had an honest talk with your Dad
about why you want to quit? If not....I
suggest you find a time when he is sober
and explain your reasons.

I lived 900 miles away from my family when my
drinking became a problem for me. When I told
them I was stopping....all I got was "OK good"

I did find much support with my new non drinking
friends I met in AA. They understood how hard
it was and helped me tremendously.

Good to know you are trying again....please keep posting
ask questions....and let us know how you are doing
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's difficult Alan I agree - but I knew that what was 'ok' for my mates was killing me - they'd all sober up and go to work or home to their family - I kept drinking....

Talking to them one on one, explaining my problem and my reasons helped - some of them got it, some of them didn't but they all supported me (even if some supported me by going away)

Talk to your Dad and your mates - tell them as much or as little as you like, but let them know you want to be a non drinker

D
Old 08-19-2009, 09:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hate to burst your bubble

Originally Posted by christin1225 View Post
Day six and still counting, still not sleeping either (though I'm going to give it another shot in a few minutes). I stayed up a little later than usual (midnight), hoping to sleep. I slept for almost an hour and then laid in bed for what seemed like another two hours (during which time only fifteen minutes had passed). That was about 2.5 hours ago. I'm so tired that I'm walking around dizzy during the day. And now I'm whining. Sorry.

This evening, my husband and I were walking and he told me that he's proud of me because I haven't used. Of course, this past week hasn't been like it was the past couple of months. It's easier on the Sub. I would probably be in relapse again (especially considering the sleep situation) if not for the Sub. My counselor asked me if I feel like I'm cheating (being on the Suboxone) when I'm sitting in the rooms. Of course I do! After all, I know how impossible it was for me to resist relieving the obsession just a couple of weeks ago but, now, voila! I'm not using.

I know that it would help if I could find a way to start accepting this as a worthy means of getting clean instead of being ashamed that I haven't been able to get past the obsession without chemical assistance.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Suboxone is a strong drug, and though it gives the appearance that you are sober it is affecting your mind, body, and spirit. I was on it for three years and the detox is the worst I've ever experienced. You can read about it in detail on the post titled, Suboxone A Must Read. Please read that, and if you'd like any more in depth discussion on the topic I'd be glad to share with you.
With deepest concern and care,
Gerry (gtinney1)
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
being me

Hi all, I am back. I have been going between sober life and not so sober life and working with a counselor.

For the last 3 weeks or so I have been slipping into too many old routines. I was proud of who I became without alcohol and then lost sight of that. Going out last night I saw the same brash, over-drinking, over-confident about nothing, individual that I no longer want to be.

I can write down or say out loud that moderation doesn't work for me, but I think that I am finally starting to hear it. My life is so unfulfilling with drugs and alcohol as my friends. And they slowly, slowly, become my best and only friends with no room for me. I can't believe I let them back into my life so fully in the last few weeks. I mean, I can intellectually, but I will take this feeling with me into the future to remember just how easily the deception can creep up.

I started on this thread last October in my first successful attempt at some sober time. As I come up on my year of 'trying' it seems time to make a decision. I like being sober better than the alternative. Period. I am done fighting within myself anymore. There is no argument over whether a drink or a drug will make me feel 'better'. It just doesn't.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know many of us here are struggling and it helps me to hear all of your stories. I am happy to be back hanging around SR and making the decision to take my life back.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good to know you are planning for another
clean and sober journey.....

In AA I met so many others who also were
changeing lifestyles Their friendship helps me immensley.

All my best Grrrr
Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
being me

Hi all! Beginning day 2 for me. I have plans to hang out with non-drinking friends today and am feeling pretty good. Definitely grateful to be sober and not missing the fog right now.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good to see you back grrr.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all x

LG1 (Alan) I can so relate to your story...I'm on day 2 now but I know I'm going to have to pretty much alienate myself from my social circle to get thru this...I so wish I could just have a couple and leave it there...I wonder if anyone has managed to be successful that....but then that is part of step 1 isnt it...knowing that you have no control over alcohol and life has become unmanageable. I dont belong to an AA program I cant get out to the meetings just yet here alone alot of the time with 3 kids...being alone/bored is a trigger for me...I'm going this alone but am finding this site very helpful.

Hi Carole ...so glad the docs didnt find anything untoward with regard to your breathing problems....I have noticed too that I have difficulty with breathing, it gets laboured very quickly under little exersion...I didnt relate to this my alcohol problem I take it there's a link then (?) I gave up smoking 9 years ago when I had my first child and thought it was down to that. When I quit smoking I had to stay away from bars and smokey places to do it...that's probably when I started drinking at home more....then drinking alone....I cant bring myself to say 'I dont drink anymore' right now...it feels too full on and I'm not sure I can see it thru....I just say I'm not drinking today. x

Good luck to all...one step at a time...:ghug2

Last edited by keen2bclean; 08-24-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to read yr breathing problems are better too Carol

I'm an asthmatic, so I'm never gonna run a 4 minute mile, LOL, but my breathing is much better since I stopped drinking and smoking, keen2bcleen

D
Old 08-24-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

how long?

ive tried to tell my boyfriend to come tot his sight but he wont, so im curious, howlong does it take before the intense cravings go away? he was a drug addict, switched to alcohol and gambling and he has quit all of it, but he cant sleep now? how long before you can sleep?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

keen2bcleen ...
Welcome to our Daily Support thread
I'm glad to know you are here with us.

Bless your heart for asking....but no....my lung problems
have nothing to do with my alcoholism. It is caused
by a fungual infection that also settled in my eyes.
I am now using an i inhaler ...it helps somewhat.

I am also a old woman....my "parts" are wearing out.

I do admire the fact you gave up smoking...well done!
As you probably know....coming off any destructive
substance is difficult to do ...especially early on.
It has been my experience that the longer I remain
free from alcohol....the easier it is.

Congradulations on beginning your journey
Blessings to you and your family...
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Please check out this link dogged

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

My sleeping got back in balance by 2 weeks off alcohol.

Blessings to both of you...
Old 08-24-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 1 again here. Almost made it 4 months last time but then life was too much to handle. Drank for over a week. Sick of it now. I don't think I could've done it differently and not sure what if anything will work this time. But I think I want to give it another try.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mega OB....

By having success for those months....you now know you
can quit. That's an acompilshment some
people never experience.

Well done on the 4....Day 1 is the new beginning for more!

Welcome back
Old 08-29-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Another day 1. I don't know what else to say... Will it ever stick???
Old 08-29-2009, 05:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

As long as you never give up OB, you have the best chance of making it stick.

Maybe you need to post here on SR more when life is getting tough and you want to drink? If you want to be talked through a struggle or talked out of drinking, it's what we're here for

D