Notices

Class of January Part 4

Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday everyone. Although I skipped class yesterday, I actually made it through 3 weeks without missing a day of work. Wow.

Ahhh, the weather. Living in NH, I love seeing pictures and painting of the colors of fall. However, it is when my depression hits and it is a struggle every year, no matter what I do. I call it the Mad Season. It's from a song by Matchbox 20. I have to say I love summer these days. We are fortunate to have an inground pool, and it is a bonding time for us. A chance for us to just have fun. I hated the heat when I was younger, but with a pool, the hotter the better!

I hope it gets here soon. We need leaves on the trees here so I don't have to see the neighbors.

Hey Fubar6
Old 04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Happy Birthday Fub!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeypOvsY91Q
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by masseyman View Post
Happy birthday Fubar!

Oh by the way....GO MSU!!!

Final four tonight.

Congrats to MSU
There you go Massey.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Hey.....easy....there were some folks going for UConn....ahem. Yeah, me. I did not get to see the game but it looked like a good one from the score. The UConn women still have a chance tomorrow......

Where is Sir Fub? Probably passed out from sugar shock from all that b-day cake.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good morning classmates.
MSU vs UNC, sure busted my brackets. Ought to be an awesome game tomorrow night.

My father in-law is attending the final four and championship game again this year, last year our city hosted it. Anyway, for the weeks leading up to these games he would ask me "did I mention I was going to the final four" every time I would see him. Yesterday he left a message on my answering machine, "did I mention...." and then proceeded to tell me how great his seats are and that he is attending a few of the meet and greats with various coaches at the local hotels. He really is an awesome father in-law and I'm glad he is having a great time. He does so much for all of our clan here. I sure he will call at least one more time...
Have great Sunday class.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Resident

Made it through my birthday without drinking although I didn't fare as well with the OS's. A creamy cream brule took me down.
No TV for presents just shirts and a framed print of the Beatles. Maybe next year.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Food morning class

And HAPPY BELATED B-DAY Teach! 6

YUM - a Creme brule take down - sounds better than a TV (well maybe not in the loooooong run).

Michigan State might take it all - they play as a team in such an amazing way - no one big star, just lots of good b-ball.. Detroit must have been shaking witn > 70,000 watching and making lots of noise. Don't forget the women today!

Hanging in here - things continue to get better.. slowly and without lots of fireworks.

Here's too a good week for all of us! :ghug
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Morning everybody! Hope all is well.

Nice to hear a bright spot in your days Oz! Clarity is such a great experience....I've moved into that stage as well.

Beautiful spring morning here in Michigan.....what'd I say?? Spring? Took me an hour to drive 28 miles to work on this wonderful spring morning thru 8 inches of blowing snow and slush. Actually very pretty out this morning. The clothes line just outside the back door was about 2 inches in diameter....snow stuck all the way around it...and all the trees covered down to the smallest branches. Real pretty out, but alas...I'm sick of it.

Good day to all today.

ps. Go MSU!!

Last edited by masseyman; 04-06-2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: go state!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Mine was pretty quiet and uneventful but that's okay.

Massey and Oz I have to agree with you about Clarity. It's a good thing. Why we would ever trade that for another drink is a mystery but let's just not.

It's cold here this morning. I wish it would warm up a little more but am grateful not to have your weather today Massey - it does sound pretty though.

My son was here last night and mixed a drink. Just one before dinner (he's normal I think & hope) and he left the bottle out on the counter. It seemed strange having it sit there - kind of a foreign object. I didn't feel any desire for it and it didn't bother me - it was just kind of weird. I think I finally know that for me the stuff is poison.

I haven't discussed the quitting drinking with my son but I am sure he sees the whole picture. Last night he asked me to go on a little trip with him - he has to make living arrangements for working away from home for a few months and actually wants my input. I am so lucky to have a great relationship with him despite past mistakes.

Have a nice day all,
YD
Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hi class,
great to hear about your strong relationship with your son YD, many aren't that fortunate. My daughter is flying down from British Columbia for a visit later this month. We too have a strong and loving relationship, but I'm not fond of some of her life choices lately. She decided to quit attending the university, for at least now, and is taking bartender classes She knows I'm not happy about this, we've spoke often over the phone. It will be a great opportunity for a face to face. Gonna have to speak to her with love while trying to steer her back to school... thanks for letting me vent, like you had any choice
Enjoy the day, weather and clarity classmates.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Resident

Good morning class.
I agree on the clarity and no hangovers is great too. I haven't found quitting drinking that hard really. I think one just has to decide to do it and then do it with no excuses and no regrets.
The sugars are admittedly a little tougher for me. I had dessert on my birthday, which was fine, but yesterday I had 2 chocolate bars and the dreaded brownies. Back to day 1 on the OS free diet.
I am moving on to Phase 4 of my program: finding better things to do with my unlimited free time. I don't even know where to start on this.Besides the gym every day my schedule is pretty much empty.
If you have suggestions that is OK just make sure none of them start with j or w, as in job or work as I am alergic.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Get a nice touring bicycle Fubar....when the weather gets good start seeing the area by bike. I started riding a couple of years ago and it gets addicting....and keeps you in shape without too much boring gym time. I put 2500 miles on my bike in the summer two years ago and about 1000 last year. Would've been even better if I wouldn't have downed a pint or two after each ride was over.....should be a better biking summer this year without the post ride "fuel".

Or take up japanese oragamy and just make some swan's out of your junk mail.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Fubar, I, too have a little too much time on my hands somedays. I am not retired but work (self-employed) only part-time which is sometimes a lot and sometimes nothing. It isn't that I couldn't find more to do but I have allergies too (housework).

I do like to read and did that almost full-time during the first few weeks of sobriety but with my new energy levels I don't feel drawn to the chair/book thing. When winter finally ends I will probably find quite a bit to do outside - gardening and mowing grass.

Have you got any bubble wrap you can pop? They say it is cheaper than therapy and just as effective so you would get a double whammy - something to do and better mental health. Of course the Japanese paper twiddling will probably have the same effect.

Well, I'm off to see an old cousin and do a good deed. I've been really short on those the past few years and plan to change that.

YD
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone
Back to work today, I'm going to try not to let the high quotas and negativity get the best of me. It's getting easier.
I really thought I'd be feeling better than I am physically, but I guess that'll just take time. And I haven't been using my spare time wisely, another thing I need to work on.

Practicing random acts of kindness. Very rewarding.

Opening day for the Boston Red Sox. We're playing Tampa Bay. It's dress down day at work for the occaison and we're allowed to wear red sox stuff. I might wear my world series cap, I think we might be needing all the help we can get. So put some red on, ya'll!!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Hey Fub, is there something you have always wanted to learn how to do? Take a class maybe? Volunteer with something.....mentor a kid.....take a hike......LOL......you will think of something I am sure.

A beautiful day here today and now I am off to bowl........hey take up bowling, Fubby!

You guys sound good, that makes me happy
Old 04-07-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi class,
quick check-in then off to work. Fub don't get too close... you know, the work allergy thing. Wouldn't want you to go into anaphylactic shock.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Morning to the quiet class of January. Another morning to be thankful for sobriety eh?

Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Good morning class..

Sitting here waiting for the rain and psyching up to get to work (self employed also - love being my own boss).. Great swim this AM.

Interesting dilemma Fubar - having time.. Does volunteer *ork appeal to you? Just know there is a lot of need out there and being in the position of having time and ability as you do is a big resource in a community... hope this does not sound too close to that stuff you are allergic to!

Getting kind of used to the sobriety stuff at this point but also feeling cautious about being too comfortable.. hope to settle into it more as spring comes on.

Massey - what happened last night?? Did Michigan State lose their game or did NC just have too much game.. They did not seem like the same team that took Conn..

:ghug
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hey Kindbird, a bit of both I think. MSU outscored NC in the second half 38-34. Pretty tough to overcome something like 15/17 turnovers in the first half especially when most of them went for dunks the other way. I think MSU was overwhelmed....and NC is a POWERHOUSE....no doubt about it.

Snowing again today. I just took a 2 mile walk at lunch and it is 32 and snowing sideways. Where is spring?

Peace.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

hi all,
Just checking in. Hoping the Red Sox play to day (rained out yesterday) even though I'll be at work (wish I could take the night off for the game).
New season of Rescue Me starts tonight on FX at 10pm. Another reason I wish I could take the night off.