Notices

Bipolar/what helps you to live well?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

The whole idea of changing my pdoc is really scary to me. He is the guy, with the help of my ex-wife (long story that I think I have shared elsewhere here) that finally came to a diagnosis of BP2.

I think he is a good doc, he gets good referrals from other docs in the community. He was the doc assigned to me when I was released from the mental hospital. Actually it was a situation like MM has, it was a teaching hospital, and I freaked out when they said that I was going to have a new intern. He is actually the program director and took me on when I was going to leave because the intern were changing. I really appreciated this, it was at least 6 or 7 years ago. Is he really the best choice, I don't know. Classic Bi-polar, he may not be the right person, but I do know him, so I am terrified to make a change. It may be wrong, or may be right, I don't know...
Old 06-30-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
The whole idea of changing my pdoc is really scary to me. He is the guy, with the help of my ex-wife (long story that I think I have shared elsewhere here) that finally came to a diagnosis of BP2.
My pdoc of 8 years didn't diagnose me with BP2, and in fact at one point had supposedly "fired" me because he felt he reached his limit with me as a doctor. Which didn't make any sense. Supposedly it was a miscommunication, since I was told this second hand. It was another pdoc who diagnosed me with BP2, but I wasn't ready at the time to accept that diagnosis. My new pdoc I feel reads me well the things I have trouble verbalizing, (at least I think he does?) and I'm much more accepting of his diagnosis. I have heard that it usually takes a while to get a correct diagnosis. There are a lot of overlap in the symptoms between depression, anxiety, OCD, BP2, BP1, etc. It's not as black and white as I thought it was.

I think he is a good doc, he gets good referrals from other docs in the community. He was the doc assigned to me when I was released from the mental hospital. Actually it was a situation like MM has, it was a teaching hospital, and I freaked out when they said that I was going to have a new intern. He is actually the program director and took me on when I was going to leave because the intern were changing. I really appreciated this, it was at least 6 or 7 years ago. Is he really the best choice, I don't know. Classic Bi-polar, he may not be the right person, but I do know him, so I am terrified to make a change. It may be wrong, or may be right, I don't know...
I know change is scary, but try to have an open mind and see how things go. If it doesn't feel right, you can always change doctors again. Plus you have us at SR here to talk the situation through with.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi there,

Not drinking alcohol is what's had the biggest effect on my bipolar and mental wellbeing.

There's a short article by Natasha Tracy about bipolar and alcohol that has really helped to remind me that drinking really was not good for me.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/b...r-and-drinking
Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BP2 View Post
Hi there,

Not drinking alcohol is what's had the biggest effect on my bipolar and mental wellbeing.

There's a short article by Natasha Tracy about bipolar and alcohol that has really helped to remind me that drinking really was not good for me.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/b...r-and-drinking
Thanks BP2.

Unfortunately for me, my BP2 was still there even after changing my diet and not drinking. However, exercise, a new medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, a new psychiatrist, meditation, and building inner strength is helping me a lot.

Good luck to you. I'm sure that article will help a lot of people.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
Thanks BP2.

Unfortunately for me, my BP2 was still there even after changing my diet and not drinking. However, exercise, a new medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, a new psychiatrist, meditation, and building inner strength is helping me a lot.

Good luck to you. I'm sure that article will help a lot of people.
Thanks.

Of course, giving up drinking hasn't cured my bipolar at all, it's still here in full effect but not drinking just makes the associated problems easier to deal with.

Sadly no treatments have worked for me and other drugs are contraindicated. Exercise helps if I manage to get out of the house and I'm seeing psych again soon so will see what they say.

Sounds like you're doing ok, good luck to you too.