Notices

Schizoaffective disorder

Old 02-13-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Schizoaffective disorder

Hey everyone,

My therapist seems to think that I have schizoaffective disorder. Does anyone else have this and how do you cope? The paranoia is awful but I have the delusions under control I think. I just don't want to revert to the way I was when I was having a psychotic episode. Can you ever lead a normal life again? Things are not going well now. I've had to move back in with my folks and I lost my job and on top of it all I've got this illness and I am so sad.

Last edited by adore79; 02-13-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello!

Back when I was hospitalized, I had already been diagnosed with bipolar type II and the psych I was seeing was evaluating me for schizoaffective disorder. (This is all just my own personal experiences).

It means when a mood disorder and schizophrenia are present. I also think (not for sure) there are two types, bipolar type and the depressive type. (Not sure someone please correct me if I am wrong). Sometimes there are comorbid things going on too, like substance abuse.

I was prescribed medications (mood stabilzers and antidepressants).

I had to live with my mom for a while after an episode and being hospitalized. I still suffer and have problems with it but I try to take it day by day. When do you go back to the doctor?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi TiredMama,

I'm glad to see that someone knows about this. I am currently on abilify, paxil and ativan. I was on risperdal instead of abilify for a while. The paranoia is really bad, I still feel like I am constantly being watched and followed, at least now I know I'm not, but the feeling remains and is very uncomfortable. I also feel like people on the tv and radio are talking to me. I'm not sure which medication has calmed down my mind but I don't have racing thoughts anymore. I just saw my doc the other day and he said to keep taking the meds as I am. I see my therapist once a week. I feel trapped in my own head.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you should mention that to your doctor next time about your paranoia. Sometimes, when people don't feel their symptoms diminish, their meds are adjusted or changed. I know mine were changed a couple of times.

My speech was really disorganized and my thoughts as well until my doctor finally adjusted my meds. For a while, I was doing great.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hm there are good meds to help with that. the paxil is actually a good one i think and should help. if not then for sure switch mood stabilizers. abilify in my experience made things worse. depakote, tegretol, lithium are all good ones that i think help with this and if your doc thinks so maybe add geodon, or even small dose of haldol to the mix. i take a better version of tegretol and geodon and my paranoia ( i have schizo affective for years now) is so so much better as well as i am taking lexapro
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was on Haldol for a the longest and it really did wonders for me. I stopped getting secret messages and evened out for a while. It really helped that my doctor insisted that what I was experiencing was not real and that there is a differentiation between what is percieved and what is. When I gained this insight into my illness I felt far more in control of what I was experiencing.

I do recomend that anything out of the norm of experience should be explained to your treating doctor so that they can know how to treat you. It is possible to get relief from symptoms and then life goes on.

I also had to move back home with my mother 15 months ago and have found the stability and regularity I get there provideds me with relief so much so that i have come to depend on the sanity that it represents to have that roof over my head and to have boundries laid down and set chores that I am responsible for. I dont consider it a failure to be living with my mother but a blessing. My disease had progressed so far that I was living on the streets. Thankfully I thought it was heavan sent that I live the way I was that was serious delusion but it protected me from the worst of what I experienced.

I lost my job too - catching aliens and demons in the bank I was working at got me hospitalised the second time and then I became willing to accept treatment. I started taking my meds religiously and they helped. The transition from then to now is remarkable. I was psychotic for years before I became enough of a menace that I got locked away and treated.

I am gratefull that there are meds that you can take that can relieve the symptoms because I cant imagine what it would be like to have to live in a psychotic state for the rest of your days. Probably locked away to prevent harm to self and others. Its amazing the freedoms that our advanced civilisation can grant us.

Become informed about your diagnosis and I am sure with time you will get the correct balance of meds to experience relief but until that happens be patient and and create a quiet secure environment for yourself so that you dont aggrevate any symptoms.

thank you for letting me share.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies, they helped me a lot.

The abilify is supposed to take the strange thoughts and feelings away, which it has some, but maybe I should get the dose increased? I am hesitant to tell my doc (or anyone else around me) about the paranoia and continued delusions (if they are in fact delusions.) I don't trust anyone, even my therapist, who is a great guy and has helped me a lot after I attempted suicide because of the "delusions" but I don't know his real intentions. And if I am being followed and watched he might not even know that unless the NSA has contacted him and he is working for them. So do you see that I can't really trust anyone? But if I'm right then they are reading this so what does it matter anyway, I'm completely alone now.

I don't really mind staying at home, it is somewhat comforting and I don't leave much. And I didn't really lose my job, I quit because my bosses were conspiring against me. At least they might have been, I'm not so sure now, but that bridge is burned anyway. I'm so confused. I feel like I could fall back into it again. I need rest but my mind won't let me rest .
Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know you are hesitant but I would talk to your doc about the med adjustments. Especially since you are feeling this strong about your paranoia.

I like to stay at home too and it is my comfort zone. Sometimes you just have to step out of it and get the help you need.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Next doc appointment is in a week. I'll try to confess the problems I am having then. Thanks Tired. I just need some relief, no matter what it takes. The comfort blanket that I live in is nice but it has to come off. Hopefully I can get my life back someday but I have a feeling it's not going to happen very soon.

Last edited by adore79; 02-14-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Hi, I am not familiar with this condition could you explain more... Thanks
Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Next doc appointment is in a week. I'll try to confess the problems I am having then. Thanks Tired. I just need some relief, no matter what it takes. The comfort blanket that I live in is nice but it has to come off. Hopefully I can get my life back someday but I have a feeling it's not going to happen very soon.
It takes time dear, time. :ghug3
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by reader View Post
Hi, I am not familiar with this condition could you explain more... Thanks
Hey, here is a website I just googled:

eMedicine - Schizoaffective Disorder : Article by Guy E Brannon
Old 02-22-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Felly. I have schizoaffective disorder. It is extremely frightening. I know. I have obsessions that God wants me homeless and it is hard to get past them. My current financial situation is horrid and that is not helping. I wish I could recommend some medication, but I haven't found any that work. I guess when we feel hopeless all we have is a Higher Power. It's just hard, when you have an illness that attacks your spirit, to believe. I wish you all the best.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Redlady,

I wish you the best too. I have been feeling better about the illness lately as I've had some good therapy sessions. I feel I am getting a better grip on reality slowly day by day. It is still hard though.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Redlady,

I wish you the best too. I have been feeling better about the illness lately as I've had some good therapy sessions. I feel I am getting a better grip on reality slowly day by day. It is still hard though.
How are your sessions going? Have you learned a little more about SAD?

Keep your chin up. I Know it is very scary.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Tired!

Yeah things are going well on the therapy front. He says that I am making a tremedous amount of progress, Yay! Even over the course of the last couple weeks. I keep in contact with him almost everday and we have gone to two sessions per week instead of one. But as my mental state gets clearer, my alcoholism is getting worse . So, that is what I am working hardest on right now.

It's amazing what tricks your mind can play on you and how fragile the phyche is. Even looking over the other posts I made on this thread, I sound like a total loon! But like I said, making progress. What's going on with you?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Tired!

Yeah things are going well on the therapy front. He says that I am making a tremedous amount of progress, Yay! Even over the course of the last couple weeks. I keep in contact with him almost everday and we have gone to two sessions per week instead of one. But as my mental state gets clearer, my alcoholism is getting worse . So, that is what I am working hardest on right now.

It's amazing what tricks your mind can play on you and how fragile the phyche is. Even looking over the other posts I made on this thread, I sound like a total loon! But like I said, making progress. What's going on with you?
Sweets you aren't a loon! None of us sure don't think so I betcha! I bet that anything you say about what you have experienced, someone else can relate.
I do mean anything because the mind is extremely powerful.

I am glad to hear about your therapy going so well. He does know about your addiction? Maybe he has something in mind for you or knows somewhere you can get help.

I am ok, just having migraines back to back. I literally take a bottle of water that I freeze and lay on it because they are so bad and nothing medicinal works. Just wish it would go away before I start tripaning. (spelling?)

How are you feeling today?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Tired,

I am doing okay today, thanks. Yes my therapist knows about my drinking but has not been working on it with me much. I've actually decided to try to go to AA after reading stuff about it here at SR. It will be very scary (I'm not good with ppl) but I will give it a shot. Sorry to hear about your migraines, I wish I could take the pain away. *hugs*

-Felicia
Old 02-24-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Spiritual Being

I don't generally like talking about this but this might help you felly,
As an adolescent I developed LSD psychosis. I would consume doses of anywhere from 10 to 20 hits at a time which sent me to another dimension. When I quit using I continued to have hallucinations, paranoid feelings, delusions..... I'd see people walk in front of me that weren't there and hear my name being called all of the time. A doctor prescribed me a drug that I don't think is being used any more called Zyprexa. Between that and psychotherapy I was for the most part cured. The only remaining issues I have left are major tracers when I look at lights at night. It makes driving a little different but I've gotten used to it.
I just wanted you to know that you're doing the right thing and eventually you'll be better.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragment SD. Luckily, I've never hallucinated which is great because that would really scare the heck outta me. Don't think I could handle it.