Notices

Grateful for The Light

Old 08-29-2005, 03:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today I am grateful that my friend Hangin's daughter is safe from the storm, and that today is another vacation day for me, to spend doing anything I want.

I'm grateful that the skunk smell is fading to almost bearable and that Toby isn't sick this time.

I'm grateful for a good day with family yesterday and for all the love and light in my life.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am grateful tonight for all those things I take for granted in my life, and I pray for those who are living a nightmare in the wake of Katrina. I pray that those who are able will reach out and give help to those who need it. I pray for all those who lost people they love, and I pray for the children.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Thank you, Ann, for your concern for my daughter. I, too, am grateful she is safe. There is SO much I have for which to be thankful and this has only reminded me of how much I take for granted. I'm going to try and not do that, remembering how blessed I am in every way.

There is such devastation for those who were in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. I am praying for divine intervention to help these people.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This morning I am grateful for the September breeze and the soothing sound of the waves breaking on the lake and the wind in the trees. I am grateful for a beautiful day set before me, a day of peace and sunshine.

My prayers continue for those who are still living in terrible conditions in the aftermath of the storm, and I pray for their comfort and hope and safety today, that somehow today will help reunite them with their families.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:05 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful for my recovery which teaches me to look at all the little things in life that bring me joy. If I wait for the big thing to make me happy, I'm never going to be happy.

Also, I am grateful that my AD is getting good news from her friends who did not evacuate. They are all safe and, as of yesterday, one of her girlfriends got word that her mom is indeed alive. She was in the Bay St. Louis area and somehow survived. Miracles never cease. Thank you, Lord.

Prayers for all of those suffering and praying that God will send miracles to these people.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:12 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so happy for her friend and mother, Hangin'. We hear so much bad news, it touches my heart to hear that people are safe and able to connect again. I believe there are angels among them and that from this horrible tragedy will come some good as people learn to help one another and to be grateful for the basics of life. This is a lesson I have learned also, and I am humbly grateful.

I'm saying a special prayer of protection for the babies and children and for the very old. May the angels watch over these innocents.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:39 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today I am grateful for another beautiful sunny day that is calling me to come out and play. I am grateful for my beach, and for the icecream stand that never ever runs out of banana fudge cones.

Today I will remember to say "thank you" for all the gifts life has given me that I tend to take for granted.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful that I am able to share with those who don't have as much as I do.

Some families have made their way to our town due to having to leave New Orleans because of the hurricane. We live 550 miles away from New Orleans, btw. It's a family unit of 13 who has nothing but the clothes on their back. The do have 2 cars between them, I think.

So I am thankful that I can share with them out of the blessings God has given me.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It is humbling to realize how very blessed we are just to be alive and healthy and have loved ones who are safe. Tonight I am grateful for the lessons I am learning about what is and what is not important in life.

Those people are lucky to get out alive, and lucky to have people like you, Hangin' who reach out and share and help however they can.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-08-2005, 08:28 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Tonight I am grateful for a quiet evening of peace. I am grateful for the end of summer breeze off the lake and the stars in the sky and the opportunity to walk along the water every day and find my spiritual connection.

I am grateful for the cute little boy next door, who I think is in love with me (at least his mother says he is) There IS something about a younger man of 5 that just melts my heart, especially when he calls me out to show me how to make shadow puppets on the wall.

I'm grateful tonight for SR and the friendships that I treasure here.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Today I am grateful that I had the opportunity to go shopping and spend the day with a good friend. (Yes, I took the day off and it felt veeeeeeeeeery good! ) This friend is as co-dependent as I am and we talked about how we have handled the letting go issue with our children. I cried as she told me she's watched me handle this addiction mess and how I have helped her. I can't imagine that for I have grown so slowly in this 12 step program. My growth is somewhat pitiful compared to others I've seen. Bless her heart, she must just be so hard up for some kind of example...

And as she was telling me that, I was thinking that I have seen the growth in HER and what an example she had been to me. And I told her so.

So we just a little mutual admiration society going on there for a little while, but soon realized that shopping was our most important mission of the day. And everytime we found something pretty, we'd say, "We'd better get it. We can always take it back." Hmmm, I wonder how much will go back?

God has been so good to me to provide me with friends like this one.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:46 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today I am grateful for the heroes who sacrificed so much in the crisis of 9/11 and who are doing the same in Lousianna and Mississippi today.

I am grateful for all the things I take for granted, for life. And I learn from those who experienced either of these tragedies, that no matter how terrible life can be, it goes on, we survive and we grow.

Thank you, God.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yes, I Am

Yes, I am grateful that my young daughter came home yestrday from Mississippi. A miracle for sure. I was on the phone the whole flight with her Grandmother. It is good to be alive and able to be there for her and for myself. This is a great time to be alive and to be sober and clean.

I am willing and able to do what I need to do to keep it that way. God has blessed me and in return I will go to church today and pray. I will pray for all of the victims of Katrina and all of the survivors. I will pray for the workers who are there to help, may God keep them safe.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh that is such good news, Pernell, thank God she is safe.

I too am grateful that you are alive and sober today, for I have learned so much from you and all that you share.

I will say a special prayer of gratitude today for bringing her home to you.

Hugs
Ann
Old 09-11-2005, 10:21 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Oh, Pernell, I am so thankful she is okay. And so grateful that you are grateful... . I'm seeing a common denominator with all you folks who are managing to stay clean and sober and that denominator is an attitude of gratitude. It's just a good day all around for ya'll, I think.

And like, Ann, I am also remembing those who lost their lives in the 9-11 attack. I have a dear Al Anon friend whose son, age 27, died in the towers. She is there at ground zero today remembering and honoring him. Four years later and it is still so hard for her.

But the good news is she is the friend who also shares the 'gratitude' trait and practices her 12 step program. And so as her program teaches, she knows life is all about giving and giving back.

Soon after her son died, she and some of his friends started a program that is now used in inner city NY schools as well as some other schools in that area. It's called "Betta Place". This friend is an artist and had been writing a book for her son and daughters, talking about incidences in their life as they were growing up, about loving and forgiving. She was still in the process of writing the book when her son was killed. So she turned the theme of the book around and made it a book with a message, that there is a 'betta way' to live.

Now this theme has been embraced by inner city schools in NY and because of her son's death, these children are now hearing the message that there is a 'betta way' to live their life. And without anyone knowing it, this woman is really teaching aspects of the 12 step program in a children's book. Is that not the greatest?

The book is Called Freddy & Flossy Flutterby by Ann Douglas. She does not object to me telling this story about her and her son for if it helps carry the message of her book and of Freddy's life, she is pleased.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:36 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Special prayers for your friend today, Hangin'. I watched the ceremony this morning with the walk and the names being read and it touched my heart to know how many lost so much and still have the courage and faith to carry on and turn something as horrible as 9/11 into a story of honour and grace.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ann. I tell my 'other Ann' friend all the time of how proud I am of her and how proud Freddy would be of her, that she has turned such a tragedy into something so good.

She has had book signing at Barnes & Noble on Stanton Island and in NY City. God has truly given her a vision of what she can do for good with something that was such a loss for her.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:53 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh, I have heard you speak before so well of "other Ann" and how much you think of her, and I feel like I know her. She truly sounds like a very special lady.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:20 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Ann, now don't go getting my recovery friends confused... , but I understand how that can happen. (Almost tacked on 'at your age' but I thought I'd go easy on you today... )

Funny thing is I have two friends, met one at the Christian women's retreat thing I went on, and the other I met at Al Anon. But they both have about 20 years in AA and about the same, if not more, in Al Anon. I am so blessed to have both of them in my life. Guess God knew I'd need HEAVY, DUTY recovery wisdom, so he put people with lots of recovery years in my life. Bless His heart, he knows I'm a tough nut to crack.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:17 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Today I am grateful for an exceptionally warm September, so walking the beach is still enjoyable.

I'm grateful to get a sweet e-mail from my goddaughter and new pictures of her beautiful little girl. We're very close but she has been very busy being a new mommy and we have lost contact for a few months.

I'm grateful for sleep, and peace in my heart today.