Notices

Bedtime Gratitude - Part 42- All Are Welcome!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Going to bed grateful reading all of these wonderful posts you all have been writing. Thank you for letting me know some special and intimate details. I am proud to be part of SR with you.

Grateful that the bureaucracy that was standing in my way of affordable housing has shifted to being helpful.

Of course grateful always for my warm apt., fresh water, electricity, my cat Cuds, friends, my AA morning home group.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I have a similar story too. Mom got to spend a couple years with my son, although her cancer kept her from being around as much as she wanted. She had three sons and always wanted one girl in the family. When my ex and I gave her a granddaughter her heart was so full, I'll never forgot what she looked like holding my daughter in her arms. Mom passed away about 5 months after Katie was born.

Grateful for these memories. Sometimes they hurt, but remembering the smiles from our loved ones makes them a treasure.
They are a treasure indeed. I am glad that your Mom got to hold your daughter and see her, even if only for a short time.

Perhaps rather than being sad for what never happened, I should find a way to be glad that my grandmother also got to hold me. Your story matches mine very closely. Grandma also had cancer, though my mom was an only child and so am I, so there were no other grand kids. At least I have a picture of that moment when she got to hold and play with me.

Thank you Astro for sharing that story. I feel better about it. *hug*
Old 12-12-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Tonight I am grateful, as always, for SR and the stories everyone shares. In the Tuesday night chat someone mentioned how much SR is really a family. And they were right.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Grateful for a awakening that I've had today. Hope I can do it!

Grateful for my friends and family.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Grateful to see a post from Vic!! Hey, there!!

And grateful I gave a roomful of psychiatrists a piece of my mind today without being too abrasive. Glad my feedback was well-received by at least some folks. Some were people who were actually my docs in the past and this was a professional meeting, so it was pretty cool to have them see me doing well and giving back.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

grateful to have been an ear today,

and more then once
Old 12-12-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Grateful for virgin marys. Although the British have been known to call this drink a bloody shame.

Oh heavens. I'm seeing a pattern here.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

To Wiscsober,
So happy for you that Affordable Housing may come thru. I was on a wait list for a long time and hope for you this goes much smoother for you. Regards, Ipanema
Old 12-12-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

To LiaAc,
I feel the same as you...we are a family of survivors of this disease....so many just don't make it. I see it at meetings all the time..especially Alanon. Best regards, Ipanema
Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Originally Posted by Ipanema View Post
To LiaAc,
I feel the same as you...we are a family of survivors of this disease....so many just don't make it. I see it at meetings all the time..especially Alanon. Best regards, Ipanema
True, true my friend. We have to stick together.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

I think we are a truly unique group and each time I am here on SR I find more reasons to believe in myself and my recovery. I don't have a desire to drink but I can struggle a great deal about life on life's terms....and when reading the writings here I feel stronger. Always happy to see you LiaAc and hear the words of others and close my mind of my own thoughts that seem, at times, want to bring me down.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Grateful my daughter reached out and confided in me tonight about some very disturbing events.
Grateful she felt she could tell me and grateful she felt helped and supported by me.
Grateful I am sober and can help her focus on her own self care at the height of her stress.
Grateful that although it upsets me I can't protect her from some real pain, I am grateful her coping is healthy and grateful my coping is becoming healthy too.

Prior to all that tonight I was grateful that my sister came an hour down to my town to go on the holiday fundraiser candlelite historic house tours with me in my town.
Grateful I pushed myself (and actually talked out loud to myself) when an hour before she was to arrive it felt like the last thing I wanted to do.
Grateful to keep reminding myself that my feelings are often wrong.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Dear EQ, hope all goes well with you and your daughter.
Dear Uncle Holmes, love the links to your non-alcoholic drinks.

Grateful that when I went out for dinner tonight I went out looking pretty good -- for a 58 year old -- because I am making an effort these days, for myself and for others.
Grateful to be sober after a night out.
Grateful for SR and all of you, checking in with all of you gives me strength because I know you care.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Grateful that my wife is coming home tonight. She might fly out again next week but we need some time together.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Tonight I am grateful for my friend, Billy Ross. I was just informed that he passed away last night. I knew he had health problems but I didn't know he was as sick as he was.

When you're sober you may find yourself getting in touch with your spirituality. And yet when someone you care about is taken, it still hurts.

I am grateful for having SR, a place I can go anytime I feel like, whether I am happy or sad. I can come here instead of running to the fog of pills.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

(((hugs))) LiaAc ~ So sorry to hear this sad news.
Love and prayers to you and to this man's family. ♥

V xx
Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
(((hugs))) LiaAc ~ So sorry to hear this sad news.
Love and prayers to you and to this man's family. ♥

V xx
(((hugs))) Thank you so much, my friend. I appreciate your support more than you know.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

grateful i wasn't the one that hung himself

and grateful for the real reminder that this stuff kills!

grateful to keep it green
Old 12-13-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Lia, I cleaned out my PM box some.

Grateful to get back out on the trails in the woods on my bike today. It had been a while. Glad I took it easy.

And grateful for deciding not to try to figure out a meeting to go to for my anniversary, but instead to invite folks to my place to celebrate. Too bad none of them will be Anorexics & Bulimics Anonymous buds, but I now have a good number of awesome women friends, so I think it's a good idea.

The picture below is from SR member Padawan at Christmas 2004. Enjoy!
--ez
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
merryxmasSR-preview.jpg (43.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Journey to Freedom

Love the picture, EZ! Thank you!

Having the energy and desire to get back on your bike must have been pure exhilaration. I hope you enjoyed it!!

Zipper- *hugs*