The Duckpond

Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

"Chick" flicks would be about little duckies, yes?

L'orange anyone?
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

They prefer to called "ducklets"......

or "vertically challenged aquatic poultry" in
less casual settings.....
Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

For Vale…
Hal wont Open the Pod Bay Door - YouTube

Yes creepy…and when a computer can read your lips well lets hope we don’t ever go there.

Clark one of my favs, read the book, the movie was s l o w….

Kubrick … full metal jacket … love war movies, apocalypse now my most favorite … didn’t brando rock bald quite psychotically …

Love me Now Jaws it does make you wonder … hubby caught a 3 ft brown shark shallow water fishing the jetting last summer. Must have been eating the small blues, puffers and king fish in the area but the question will remain was there anything close by bigger that would want to eat it.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Have you heard about the Gone With The Wind replica mansion? I believe it still stands empty today. It is the house that sparked all the debate about mold because it was overtaken with mold. The people that lived there got sick from it and had to abandon it. I am not sure but I believe it still stands today. It has a very high value and it was beautiful. If I am correct they had to pay out for it being a total loss and it sparked a big lawsuit. Since then, home insurers have put limitations on mold coverage.

A bit off topic, sorry! I work in the insurance industry so this was an interesting one for me. I LOVED the movie Gone With The Wind!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Yes, 2001 the movie was crap compared to the book.

(But I am warring with Cynical over that fact---I've cemented
my position and the XY thing precludes backing down...so this is
on the QT!)

Kubrick WAS a master.I honestly have never seen GWTW but,
(like most XY's),that does not prevent me from having a fight-to-
the-death opinion on it!

As far as off topic---I kinda think that's the point of the duckpond.
99.9999% about addiction is a bit much....100 is a bit over the top.

It's as if.......for a few moments.....it doesn't exist.

(Isn't that marvelous?)
Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Have you heard about the Gone With The Wind replica mansion? I believe it still stands empty today. It is the house that sparked all the debate about mold because it was overtaken with mold. The people that lived there got sick from it and had to abandon it. I am not sure but I believe it still stands today. It has a very high value and it was beautiful. If I am correct they had to pay out for it being a total loss and it sparked a big lawsuit. Since then, home insurers have put limitations on mold coverage
Hopeful... I don't recall the home being a GWTW replica, but it was a multi-million dollar home, and it was a total loss due to mold. The home could not be demolished for fear it would release the toxins into the atmosphere... no insurance carrier will provide mold coverage without a strict limitation since this happened. Its still a major issue in the industry to this day..
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

XX = Female
XY = Male
XXOO = Mom

As far as off topic---I kinda think that's the point of the duckpond.
99.9999% about addiction is a bit much....100 is a bit over the top.

It's as if.......for a few moments.....it doesn't exist.

(Isn't that marvelous?)
I'm not sure that there IS "off topic" for the DuckPond.....but the mods may disagree.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Maybe I am wrong about it being a replica, thought for sure I had hear that. I guess I need to look it up!

Originally Posted by HumbleNumb View Post
Hopeful... I don't recall the home being a GWTW replica, but it was a multi-million dollar home, and it was a total loss due to mold. The home could not be demolished for fear it would release the toxins into the atmosphere... no insurance carrier will provide mold coverage without a strict limitation since this happened. Its still a major issue in the industry to this day..
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Maybe I am wrong about it being a replica, thought for sure I had hear that. I guess I need to look it up!
It very well could have been... I just don't recall that detail in the case studies I did on the impact to the industry...
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

On another topic... we're still in the throes of "Snowpocalypse 2014" here...
It's been quite a character builder... I hope everyone is safe and sound wherever you happen to be today.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Oh Vale
Sadly while I commend your need to defend your position, please note cynical will be a formidable opponent. Ruthless, relentless … Be wary, take heed , know that your actions will not be in vain. I am rooting for you!

And on the QT as well, I know her weak spot so if you need it to turn the tide let me know.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by incitingsilence View Post
Oh Vale
Sadly while I commend your need to defend your position, please note cynical will be a formidable opponent. Ruthless, relentless … Be wary, take heed , know that your actions will not be in vain. I am rooting for you!

And on the QT as well, I know her weak spot so if you need it to turn the tide let me know.
================================================== =======
THAT's the best pep talk I've ever heard!

You ought to be talking that Tony Robbins stuff .....at the pointy end of an
assault craft....hitting a beach....in a storm...at night.....to 19 year olds!

Sounds so much better than....."tough beans, kid, in a few more
moments you are going to be slaughtered".

(weak spot? Cynical? Now you are just toying with me.)
Old 01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

It's been quite a character builder... I hope everyone is safe and sound wherever you happen to be today.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Then get off the internet and SHOVEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

HN, maybe you can clarify something for me? Every year there seems to be a blast that hits the south, with some years being worse than others. I know that your areas are much less prepared to handle the snow, but do you think that by now every town would just set aside a load or two of salt...just in case?
JK...I saw that snow and ice really did a number. I hope all is well now.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Cece - I am also in an area affected by the storm. It was a combination of errors, from the way it sounds, in both AL and GA. The storm was not predicted as far north as it hit - both Birmingham and metro Atlanta were "supposed" to be spared.

Didn't happen. They did get salt on the roads, early, BUT businesses stayed open, most of the schools north stayed open (I live south, where the storm was supposed to start) and everyone headed home at one time - major gridlock on the roads.

It's been a mess, there are still thousands of cars on the side of the road. We are hoping the sun, today, will do a good melt.

MY butt stayed home at the very thought of ice. Dad took something over to Birmingham for work - what should have been 5 hours round trip took 38 hours.

I'll have to look, later, and see if I can find a picture - it was of the ducks on a pond around here that were NOT liking the ice, and that was on Tue.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

To the snowbound....stay safe!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I was curious and looked it up. It was a Gone with the Wind replica house in a place called Dripping Springs, Texas. The lady fighting the insurance companies was nicknamed the mold queen because she fought the insurance companies like you said and started a whole thing on consumer rights, Her little son suffered asthma and lung damage, and her husband had memory loss. It was a mold called Stachybotrys and is lethal. No one I know would believe I read a whole article on mold but it was interesting.

Last edited by BlueChair; 01-30-2014 at 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Snowpocalypse!

Here they got so much grief for closing school for less than an inch last week that this week they tried to leave it open even though we had freezing rain all night. Then they changed their minds about 20 minutes *after* bus pickup! A school bus crashed. They had the kids on buses en route when they decided to cancel, with half of the parents on the way as well delivering their kids on the ice. Some kids made it to school only to find out after that they were all just being put into the gymnasium to watch a movie until they could locate everyone's parents to go back out on the ice to pick them up. It was a mess. I would usually say a hot mess but in this case, not so much.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

BlueChair - I actually meant to look up that house and forgot - thanks!

interrupted - Yep, big mess. I know one of the bus drivers who spent the night with the kids somewhere safe, rather than stay on the road.

I'm about to venture out for the first time since Tue. I've got to have some blood work drawn for a job I have "contingent on..." and all I don't have is the proof that I'm immune or had boosters for various diseases (it's in a hospital).

I plan on taking my time, hope I can stay in the sunshine where the stuff is melting.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Snow and ice is such a mess anywhere but I think it's worse when it hits areas that aren't used to it. Stay safe everyone!

^^^something to do on a cold winter day.........