Why do addicts DO that?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks B&B...I've really learned a lot from you
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jodie77 View Post
When I first came to this site (a mere week ago) I was feeling people understood me and were offering encouraging words and insight. Today went all to hell with some of these responses and I sat there reading them just feeling worse about my situation.
It's like that sometimes. Don't let it get to you.

Go back and read the encouraging stuff, or read other threads for a bit.

We're a motley crew. Sorry your thread got derailed.

(((Hugs)))
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey Lily- thanks for clarifying. Yep sometimes we beat dead horses when we enter into discussion with people who are always right. My overworked brain just had to see what you were saying underneath the icon. Hugs!

Jodie- I think it might be fair to say that people like to justify their actions and are using this post and others to do so. Sift through all of it and you will find your truth. Serenity is a gift for all of us who have stumbled upon it through a lot of pain. Hugs!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Daisydoc,

While I appreciate your advice I think you are sorely mistaken or perhaps in a little bit of denial. I am 35 years old; my fiancé is a 40 year old man with 3 children. We are not two high school students who are in need of more time to figure ourselves out since we lack life experience. We are both divorced and he proposed to me in December. It's very irresponsible and crazy to call this a "timing" issue as we have been together for nearly 4 years, I've helped raise his children, we lived together and we are both (he is currently) approaching mid-life. I assure you, this isn't a timing issue.

I don't mean to infer but I presume you are very young re some of the things you've said. You also are very new into your relationship with your addicted bf and it is very, very naive (even dangerous) to believe he has never lied to you. Addiction is chronic, progressive and fatal. The "progressive" part means that it will only gets worse. You are still in the honeymoon stages of your relationship. Invest several more years and see if you don't notice lies and manipulation the further he progresses into his disease. Your abf isn't the exception here although you believe otherwise.

I have been codependent, yes. My grandfather, grandmother, brother (who died), younger brother who is active, aunt, ex husband, fiance and good friend were/all addicts. With that being said it would be pretty unprobable that I wouldn't demonstrate traits of codependence. In addition, I work in the medical field, am very successful, independent
and have a lot of life experience under my belt.

My relationship failed because he's in active addiction. Period. He is a very sick man who has an aversion to getting help as his pride is very strong. He's Narcissistic and has an elitist mentality--2 very strong character defects. Add addiction to that and you have a recipe for disaster and unattainable intimacy. I really don't need others giving me "advice" that is presumptuous and silly. I do thank you for trying to reach out and offer words of wisdom but they don't make much sense with all due respect.

I do hope that for your sake and his your bf gets into treatment. If you think you can ride this thing out for years to come with his being completely "honest" you are sorely mistaken and have a lot to learn.
Addicts are at different stages in addiction, and due to this there are different behaviors presented & observed. I agree, it is a progressive disease. What I said was true of my own situation, and how I view the relationship I have with my boyfriend. I was trying to explain he is possibly at an earlier stage than your BF. If it helps you to minimize our relationship because it is only going on for a little over a year, then go ahead. Your boyfriend ended your relationship. He didn’t want to get married, and he didn’t want to continue whatever you had going on for 4 whole years. It doesnt matter if it was related to addiction, it is still where he is at in his life at this moment. That is what I meant by a timing issue.

If his behavior was so bad, and he was lying about everything, and treating you with lack of respect, then it is good he ended it IMO. He had the strength to do what you should have done for yourself, and couldn’t for whatever reason. He sent you what I thought was a considerate explanation taking all the blame and what looked like his attempt to be kind and give you closure. I hope that you find it at some point.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blackandblue View Post

Originally Posted by dasiydoc
Our relationship has been good despite his drug use

Key word- despite (so his drugging does adversely impact your relationship)

No your trying to twist that. He used drugs. Our relationship was good. I was aware he used drugs because he told me before we entered into the relationship. Never knew anyone who used illegal drugs before, but his drug use did not affect me, was invisible to me actually. So I kept out of it and figured he would get tired of it one day and quit

My boyfriend never stole from me, cheated on me, or lied to me about anything other than drug use that I can look back and see.

That you know of yet

Well true. But that goes for any relationship. You don’t know what you don’t know. Nothing ever turned up missing, he always had money because he worked, and never asked for any. No red flags on cheating, not out partying or living that life. And no, nothing has come up in a years+ time that points to him having a issue with truth telling. The only lies Ive ever discovered have had to do with drugs

what would your ex say about you and your codependent behavior, and how it affected things?

This questions is odd. Hmm, I wonder what my AXBF thought when I tried countless times to encourage him to seek recovery, the countless times I forgave him. The countless times I believed his BS. If he ever found recovery- he would probably say thank you for letting me go so I could finally hit bottom and not thank you for staying and enabling me and contributing to my addiction. What would your boyfriend say about your codependent behavior?

Well here is the thing. I never tried to stop him from using. Since it was invisible to me, and didn’t affect me, I accepted him for who he was addiction and all. Yes, Obviously he knew I did not use drugs, and didn’t approve, was worried for his health and the illegal part of it. But I let it go at that. It was his choice. He is a smart guy and knew what he was doing. I was a bit naïve, because I felt like he would get tired of it and decide to stop eventually – all on his own. I never really had to forgive him for bad behavior because he didn’t produce any. He never BS me on things. He was at a place in his addiction where it had not got that far out of control. Ive been accused of enabling my BF before just because I accepted him as he was. But to me, if a person can keep it all together, and they are keeping up their end of the relationship, then your not enabling them. Some people make a choice to say they wont have an active drug user in their life. But to me, that is a choice for their benefit, and has nothing to do with enabling the other persons drug use.

I think there is evidence that lying goes along with addiction. But it happens because to an addict drugs become part of their survival mechanism.

There is evidence that most addicts lie to protect their addiction and themselves. It's not a thinking matter. It's a matter of fact. So because they lie to survive in your opinion, that makes the lying okay?

I never said the lying about drugs was ok. I said it is not something to take personally if you understand addiction and how the mind works. It doesn’t mean you should tolerate bad behavior or lies if they affect you.

What I think is other lies outside of addiction issues, are more closely attached to a persons character.

So you believe addicts are allowed to lie and it does not reflect on them as a person. Where as non-addicts lies are character defects. Please don't spread that message on this forum.

No, you are misinterpreting what I said & running wild with that assumption. Addicts lie about their drug use, to protect it. We agree on this. What I am saying is if an ADDICT lies about other things not related to drug use then this speaks more to a flaw in their character. (same as it would a non-user IMO).

All due respect you are in a new relationship and are not out of the woods, so to speak. But maybe, you are the one exception. Take care.

I feel like my relationship is solid. It has been tested more by his efforts at treatment than when he was actively using. Early stages of recovery are always questionable. That is why I have hung around here to read and learn from those people who I relate to, in hopes they can help me make good choices as this goes along. Take care B&B.
Now as for beating the dead horse, didnt you pick my post apart, because you believe you are right, and you didnt like what I said, and wanted to reinforce your opinions because ? why ?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dasiydoc View Post
Addicts are at different stages in addiction, and due to this there are different behaviors presented & observed. I agree, it is a progressive disease. What I said was true of my own situation, and how I view the relationship I have with my boyfriend. I was trying to explain he is possibly at an earlier stage than your BF. If it helps you to minimize our relationship because it is only going on for a little over a year, then go ahead. Your boyfriend ended your relationship. He didn’t want to get married, and he didn’t want to continue whatever you had going on for 4 whole years. It doesnt matter if it was related to addiction, it is still where he is at in his life at this moment. That is what I meant by a timing issue.

If his behavior was so bad, and he was lying about everything, and treating you with lack of respect, then it is good he ended it IMO. He had the strength to do what you should have done for yourself, and couldn’t for whatever reason. He sent you what I thought was a considerate explanation taking all the blame and what looked like his attempt to be kind and give you closure. I hope that you find it at some point.
I am reminded of a very wise wizard second only to Merlin who once said:

" Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels." ~ Albus Dumbledore

Legends are lessons after all. Yes there is a difference between a year and four years. There should be in any healthy person. Children are also a source of pain and grieving that is not in your story.

Jodie. You are so strong. Im sorry you are going through this. We are all walking with you in spirit. Our stories are different and we are all on different levels of serenity, but I just want you to know that I am praying for you, Im wishing you peace and joy in your life and beauty in every sunrise.
You are a flower, and in another quote from the play Les Miserables "rain will make the flowers grow."
Hugs
Lily
Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dasiydoc View Post
Now as for beating the dead horse, didnt you pick my post apart, because you believe you are right, and you didnt like what I said, and wanted to reinforce your opinions because ? why ?
No. I commented about beating a dead horse because I assumed that you would hijack the thread and make it all about you once you saw what BB said.

Truth hurts dasiy. Deal with it. Stop being a crybaby and put on your big girl panties. You dont need to justify to us, you need to justify to yourself or you wouldnt have started quacking and would have left well enough alone.

Where is ann when you need her?

I have tried to be patient time and again. Im sorry, I failed.

It is not ok for you to be so disrespectful to others instead of looking in the damn mirror.

Ugh.... whatever I dont even care anymore. Im going to a meeting and puting you on ignore.

(Sorry jodie hugs once again)

"Accept the things I cannot change" thanks LMN
Old 04-04-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
And on THAT note...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Jodie, as you can see dysfunction exists everywhere!. It may be hard to see now but this thread can be very instrumental in your recovery. Take what you want and leave the rest. Choose your friends wisely and sort through the toxicity of certain posts! Then use the same skills in real life.

You have come a long way in a short time. Break ups can be painful then add addiction in the mix and its usually insanity. Be kind to yourself.....as you continue on to a new healthier and happy journey!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Daisydoc is a child. I've helped raise 3 and don't have time to tend to another.

Thanks to everyone else who offered up wise and nonjudgmental advice.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thank you Lily and LoveMeNow. I need prayers more than anything. I'm really grieving. Have a good night
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Jodie - do you have any plans for the weekend that provide a distraction for you? Maybe just hanging out with some crazy girlfriends or taking a drive to that cute little town you've been wanting to check out? Wish you could come with me to Destin...we cold go do something really idiotic like go catch a marlin or float on the pontoon boat all day...

Or you could do like we do around here when things get really rough and have a big ol' honkin' slab of cheesecake!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
Or you could do like we do around here when things get really rough and have a big ol' honkin' slab of cheesecake!!
Mmmmm.....cheesecake!!! One of my absolute FAVES!!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Ok, then keeping coming south. Codie party at my house!! The neighbors will be thrilled! lol
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

we're in our comfy clothes...aka jammies, i'm doing some laundry and we're gonna have leftovers - hank made a killer sketti sauce a couple nights ago and then last nite we conspired on a pollo asada burrito thing. no cheesecake, but he did buy fresh blueberries yesterday and I picked up vanilla hagen daz on my way home!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

When I first came to this site (a mere week ago) I was feeling people understood me and were offering encouraging words and insight. Today went all to hell with some of these responses and I sat there reading them just feeling worse about my situation.
IMHO Jodie,
I think this post went a little aray. I get what some are saying and I also get what others are saying. PLEASE, PLEASE! Don't let this deter you! There is a lot of great info and people who totally know what you are going through. This site can help you get through....

Please read the sticky about why people on here respond like they do. I know that I have had more help here than anywhere! I know that some people are very blunt. And they don't mean to be harsh. They just want you to learn and understand. For example. Anvilhead has been very blunt with me and forward. There has been a lot of things that she has said that I don't want to hear. but I know it's the truth. I don't hold that against her though. I know she has my best interest at heart and have learned to have a lot of respect for her opinion! And, like any other support group. You must take into account that there are people in different places than you. A wide diversity. Some are ahead of us in recovery and some are behind. (i think that you and I are pretty close in recovery when it comes to dealing with our own issues. I spent so much time just trying to fix him.)

So after all this rambling, I just want you to know that there is alot of good support and info here. Please stay in touch....
Old 04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Jodie,
P.S. I just said a prayer for you. I know how much prayers mean! I pray that you have strength!
SUPER BIG HUGS.
And sleep well, I know sleep can be a blessing in times like these...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

this was a mean post---directed to those who
hurt Jodie.....so I deleted it.

....that's how we do things here.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you Lily and LoveMeNow. I need prayers more than anything. I'm really grieving. Have a good night

Trust in God Jodie!

My prayers are with you sweetie!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
No. I commented about beating a dead horse because I assumed that you would hijack the thread and make it all about you once you saw what BB said.

Truth hurts dasiy. Deal with it. Stop being a crybaby and put on your big girl panties. You dont need to justify to us, you need to justify to yourself or you wouldnt have started quacking and would have left well enough alone.

Where is ann when you need her?

I have tried to be patient time and again. Im sorry, I failed.

It is not ok for you to be so disrespectful to others instead of looking in the damn mirror.

Ugh.... whatever I dont even care anymore. Im going to a meeting and puting you on ignore.

(Sorry jodie hugs once again)

"Accept the things I cannot change" thanks LMN
This is so embarassing. Im reading this thread and so ok you dont like the comments of Daisydoc, if you are all such grown ups and so experienced then why in the world are you attacking her, adding little cartoon characters, making comments about not being able to tell some people anything because they are always right. She made one post. Then it gets dissected and commented on with rude remarks and she gets called a child ? This is the only forum on this website Ive seen where people get attacked like this. Maybe some of you ought to pull up your panties and try not commenting if your cant say anything back that is at all constructive. Looks like Black and Blue derailed the thread, and then you Liley started making comments about nothing but Daisydoc and how you dont like her. Well if nothing else, this forum is good for amusement as its like a soap opera half the time. Nice reputation for a recovery site, and also very good promotion for your personal methods of recovery.

OP - sorry you are in pain. I havent followed your thread. Thinking of this breakup and grieving are probably the best way to go. Working on your issues (based on all you have shared) are wise.

My boyfriend was a meth addict. He did some awful things when on meth, and he was violent at one point also. He is accountable for his behavior. Drugs changed him. He has been in recovery, completed a program and is much better now. People can recover and I hope your ex is able to do that. I hope you are able to find peace with your situation, and move forward with your life.