Looking for help, guidance and thoughts

Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Helpfullover View Post
She is talking suboxen and trying to seek mental health help. But she has no insurance and there is at least a three month wait to see a doctor. We researched it together. I guess maybe I haven't got to the point of being mad at her. I confused because they talk about a good support system in NA but it sounds like im suppose to write her off as a lost soul.
Suboxone isn't cheap nor are the DR appts to get the RX especially with no insurance. Many therapist wll charge less based on income. It's called a sliding scale. Perahps, she may want to research it further.

Ny husband used suboxone too. It gave me a false sense of "hope." He wasn't ready to stop taking pills and the suboxone was pointless at the time.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lovemenot, are you and your husband still together?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Lovemenot, are you and your husband still together?
Yes!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So there is hope? Walking away isn't the only answer?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

So there is hope? Walking away isn't the only answer?
I am seeing a therapist 1-2 times a week and attending Alanon meetings! My husband is attending 2-3 NA/AA meetings a day. He has ONLY been clean for 27 days. He has tapered down to 2mg of suboxone and his goal is to be off by 7/4.

Its a start for both of us but we both have a long ways to go - a life time.

If he were to start using again...I would not stay with him.

I will support sincere recovery efforts but not active addiction. I couldn't do it again. Not a chance!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My husband was also using opiates. He has been clean now for around 40 days. (I stopped counting at 30 days). He entered a detox/rehab and that is where his is right now. I just got back from visiting him this weekend, and he is doing really well. He is not using suboxone. He is not involved in NA or a 12 step program as we decided to use a rehab that focused on psychological therapy. There are lots of different kinds of treatments available. Some do not even view addiction as a lifelong disease. You can do a google search on alternatives to 12 steps if you are interested, look at AVRT, CRAFT. Individiual therapy/counseling often falls under this also.

My husband got hooked on pain meds after a sports injury and surgeries. We separated for a while because he didn’t realize he had a problem and didn’t want to stop. When he decided he wanted help, he came home. I love him, we have a 5 month old son.

I proudly support his recovery efforts & I have a lot of hope for our future.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Personally, I believe addiction is a lifelong disease. I don't think anyone gets addicted because of an operation or an injury. I don't think its the pain killers, I think it is the person.

I have never been unfaithful in my marriage. I never sought comfort in the arms of another man. I don't think this is "our" problem. I think it HIS. I know I have my own issues, that need to be fixed. I am working on ME and I would never ask, expect, or rely on anyone else to help me or my husband fix either one of our problems.

My life is not all roses, unicorns and fairies but reality is such a nice place for me to be. Thank you.

I will leave it at that!!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

i was with a NA (but a closet drinker), my NA quit his drugs first then started using alcohol about 4 mths later....

I ran to an AL ANON meeting FOR ME...not him, for me....

my NA was going to Narcotic Anonymous and started his recovery...

i was so confused....didnt know why he could quit drugs but continue on with the alcohol....

now 2 years later and with AL ANON under my belt, and reading all i can, and re reading and realizing my co dependent ways.....it all helps to understand what i can do for ME...

SHE has her own recovery....AA/NA with AL ANON/NAR ANON can work together....

go to a meeting...it is going to be so refreshing for you...
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

"My husband was also using opiates. He has been clean now for around 40 days. (I stopped counting at 30 days). "

Yesterday, you posted he was clean for 38 days so today is day 39. You must be so tired from all your traveling with the baby - back and forth to the rehab, that you just must have forgot.

Either way, great job!!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
"My husband was also using opiates. He has been clean now for around 40 days. (I stopped counting at 30 days). "

Yesterday, you posted he was clean for 38 days so today is day 39. You must be so tired from all your traveling with the baby - back and forth to the rehab, that you just must have forgot.

Either way, great job!!

OMG that is the point LMN.... Im not keeping track and I dont know exactly. I wont know when he hits 46, 52, 81..... I will know approximately because I know when he is supposed to be finished with his in-patient rehab and I can add & subtract.

But otherwise, why does it matter? Every day is important & I respect the work he is putting in to get healthy.

And yes, I went to visit my husband this weekend and took our 5 month old son also. And you know what, Im really happy that I did. We had a very nice weekend.

As I said in my earlier post; I support his efforts at recovery, and with his doctors blessing and encouragement; he's allowed to socialize with his wife and son.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Drug addiction in its self is a terrible disease where your brain is changed.. I suffered it too and no matter what could not stay clean no matter how many times I detoxed I am disabled with horrible depression am service connected and the only thing that helped take it away was morphine.

She is probably using oxy or heroin. I am in a methadone program at my VA hospital and it was the only thing so far besides God that helped me stay clean. Medication Assisted Therapy is the way to go for her to have a more normal life. If she truly did stay clean for a couple of months she most likely would easily succeed on methadone as it takes away your cravings and suppresses your triggers greatly.