The toll on our health

Old 07-21-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It truly does take a physical toll on all of us.

I have suffered through anxiety attacks, insomnia and night terrors, rashes from stress, migraine headaches, lower back pain and huge digestion problems.

Today I have none of those symptoms except for the lower back pain. I sleep like a baby and if I feel stressed, I know what I have to do to calm down.

My situation didn't change but I did, and today I am grateful to be healthy.

Hugs
Old 07-21-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Marle, I am sorry that you are feeling poorly. I hope the stomach problems are resolved. If it is not too personal, I am wondering if you still have your gallbladder. Get well. I suggest that you should see your doctor.

Since being hit in the face with my son's drug problems, I have been checked by physicians for high blood pressure, chest pains, and anxiety. I am not so worried about my current health problems, but I wonder what the toll will be down the line, five years from now.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Please go to your dr. ASAP. Tell him everything and he will be better able to help. 5 years ago I went to the dr. with blood pressure over the stroke level-put me on tranquilizers-said I knew what was causing it and eliminate the problem. Tranquilers helped-but they can be addictive-so I stopped. Have been in and out of the hospital because of of stress-last time was May and in intensive care for two days. No insurance! Three heart meds and I do breathing excercises. Lost 35 pounds in the last month-I cannot keep anything down-rarely. Keep us posted!!!!! LOL
Old 07-22-2007, 05:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Marle,
Stress has caused my blood pressure to go sky high, over stroke levels more than once. Headaches, anxitey attacks, shakes etc. So PLEASE DO NOT miss with this. Please go to the Doctor ASAP!!! Some of my worst attacks have happened after things calmed down, like months later. Stress can kill you and is nothing to play with. Please take care of yourself. If you can please take it easy until you see the doctor. Take a few minutes just to relax and think of things that you enjoy and take deep breaths.
Hugs and prayers coming to you
Old 07-22-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

stress really does take a toll on the body. i have insomnia, heart palpations, etc. since i've broken my elbows, i had to get medical clearance and i hope they don't find anything wrong with me. about 4 years ago, when my mother was dying, i was having these terrible pains in my right knee. it hurt so bad, i couldn't sleep at night. had to have a cortisone shot to relieve the pain, and it was diagnosed as arthritis, but the doctor said that the stress i was going through manifested itself. it's like your body is reacting to the stress in your life. Marle, it wouldn't hurt to get checked out and please try to take care of yourself.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Guinevere, This did feel like gallbladder, but I had mine removed when I was 24. Family history and birth control pills contributed to an early exit for my gall bladder. When I pointed to where the pain was the nurse said stomach. My whole life I have been what one could call High-Strung. Stress makes me lose weight really easily. Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Last night I slept 11 hours. Have not done that in I don't know how long. I really have been feeling good physically until yesterday. So I really think this is either a terrible case of gas that is totally unrelated to the stress in my past, some bad cherries that I ate or who knows. I have neglected tests that I should get done. I know my blood pressure is good because that was checked weekly when I went for my knee. But I need all the rest of the normal tests done. So I will make that my present to myself for the rest of my vacation. Get them done. Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

Originally Posted by Lovestoomuch View Post
Do you know what the doctors told me. Honest Abe. Sometimes the worst symtoms happen after everything has calmed down.
oh I definately believe that, in 1995 my father died and 6weeks later my brother died, my mom is blind and my sister is worthless under stress and pressure and beings that we have an extremely small family, I (the yougest) had to make all the arrangements and get things settled after. anyway this all happened in november, and christmas day I thought I got bit by a spider on the foot, well, after about 2hours I was covered in hives the size of texas, I mean head to toe hives, and it was all post stress. I had those crappy hives for about 5 months all post stress.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

my health since my ras started his crap has landed me in the hospital also, I had an anxiety attack and thought it was a heart attack. I still get those anxiety attacks but now I go to my bedroom,sometimes for the whole day, just to relax and calm down so the pains go away and the breathing gets normal.

darn addicts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My therapist did diagnose me as being depressed with anxiety. But I did not want medication for the anxiety. I never thought of myself as having anxiety but when I look back I know those times I wanted to jump out of my skin and run away were definitely anxiety attacks. Funny how we just don't see it in ourselves. Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

I hope you're feeling better this morning Marle. I was thinking about you. Those sneek attacks are very scarey.

I was riding to work one day and got really anxious........couldn't breathe......I mean could not catch my breath.....started to hyperventalate and by the time I got to the office I darn near passed out. I had chest pains so bad I thought I was going to die.

I was rushed to the ER and they kept me in the hospital for 2 days!! Diagnosis.......stress. Oh brother. I think I even told the doctor he was crazy because I had eliminated my stress. (threw the ole exaroonie out the door)

He asked me if I smoked and I told him I did. He gave me the lecture..........we all know it.........and I told him if he wanted to see me REALLY stressed just try and take my pack of cigarettes from me lol.

I did cut back. I know he was right. I just in typical addict fashion didn't want to hear it.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Kris, Cigarettes we think calm us but nicotene is a stimulant. So really it is having the opposite effect on us and I know it does increase stomach acid, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. We really need to quit Hugs, Marle
Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Stress has been making me sick and keeping me sick for years, now some of it is permanent.

soon, as I get some finances in order I am looking into Chantix for the smoking. I keep hearing glowing things about it.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Kris, Cigarettes we think calm us but nicotene is a stimulant. So really it is having the opposite effect on us and I know it does increase stomach acid, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. We really need to quit Hugs, Marle
I know............gosh darn it all..........the one thing I do........figures.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Marle
Hope you are feeling better this morning.
Terri
Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Marle....just sending hugs....I know when I first discovered my daughters addiction I lost 15 lbs in like 3 weeks, unfortunately I have the constitution of a horse, so gained it all back (sigh), was hoping I could ride that wave until I was thin. LOL
Old 07-22-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 07-22-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

marle,

i hope everything is ok - teke - you too..

i just wanted to let you know that my mom had those same kind of symptoms - and marle when you said you had that huge belch and felt better - that WAS my mom - she had diverticulitis (spelling?) - she had an ulcer (smoked and didn't have a great diet) but it was the diverticullitis that was the culprit - now she just can't eat fruits with seeds, popcorn - things with seeds and stress affects it also - just in case you see this before you see the doctor again - good luck...

love,
sue
Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Marle,
I'm sure it is stress related. I had the same thing when things w/ my daughter first started then again when they were really bad. Rushed to the ER, had EVERY sign of a heart attack. EKG was perfectly normal, stress! Glad it wasn't my physical heart, but my mom's heart was broken.

I pray for you every day, daughter too! I wish I could take away your pain. As hard as it is, you have to take care of you. I finally got the whole Let go thing when I first came on SR in April. First time I had any real peace in 3 years. God and the folks here got me through.

blessings,
susan
Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Marle - How are you doing now?

I experienced hair loss, depression, panic attacks, and muscle spasms in neck and back that once almost kept me from being able to get out of the bed. Not fun stuff. I have also had recurring sinus infections which I don't normally have. I think my immune system is weakened by the stress and I'm not fighting off infections as well as I normally would.

Take care of yourself - you deserve it!