A Penny For Your Thoughts, Part 2

Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

teke, no more chemicals!!!
Chemicals bad, only use them in new water your adding to declorinate and get rid of ammonia.
Go ahead and change out 10 gallons of water. (you can get cheap 5 gallon buckets at walmart)

What kind of water purifier are you using? Does it get rid of ammonia? Most city water has ammonia.
You set up a few days ago, right you probably have rising ammonia levels, thats normal. The cloudiness is good bacteria growing that will convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. (Water with nitrate is awesome for your plants.)
Dont do it now its too soon but next weekend bring a sample of your water to petsmart for a free test. Let me know your ammonia, nitrite levels and ph. Ill tell you what to do based on that. Dont just do what the minimum wage store employees read you off a chart, increasing water cahnges until it balances is the key
Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

The chlorine will evaporate out but not chloramines or ammonia.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

yukkkkkkkkkkk i dont want to drink water from the tap now. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Kat, thats funny. When I first started tanks I had a problem with high ammonia and nitrates. Couldnt figure out what was wrong. (Nitrates is basically decomposed waste products)
Finally I took my tap water to be tested, it was worse than my aquarium. I never ever used my tap water again. I love taking my tests to peoples house and testing their water.
Im saving for a special distilling filter under my cabinet and until then I buy bottles.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

yukkkkkkkk cinder if you lived closer i would have you test my water... yukkk luckily i buy bottled water. but i am not even going to cook with the bottle water cuz i dont want no nitrates in my food. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Boiling water also kills it all, but if you have cheapy aluminum pans, your only making your issues worse. Its a wonder we arent all dead in this world
Old 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

LOL no cheapy pans anymore just bought a new set at jc pennys a month ago. best investment ever.... lol... dont care for the aluminum thing.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

When I moved into my house my mom freaked. She saw all my teflan pans so stratched they were silver. She bought me a new set but I had to give her the old ones to dispose of and promise her only plastic utinsels
Old 04-09-2007, 11:31 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

lol yeah i was lucky that the newest pans set i bought came with all those plastic utensils. i love them nothin sticks now.....lol
Old 04-09-2007, 11:45 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Actually I think every town water department prepares yearly print outs. I read mine and it said below legal limits. What I didnt know that the amount legal would kill fish. For example nitrates our water had 120 ppm, I never allow my fish tank to ahve more than 30 ppm or I start to see deaths. If its not safe for my fish I dnt want my child drinking it, even my cat gets bottled water.
They add chlorine to our water to neutralize that stuff. Some cities its so strong you can smell it.
I dont know of water tests, I just use the ones I have for my aquariums, they arent cheap. I assume big cities the water would be worse. And even well water after large rains and such can come up yucky
Old 04-09-2007, 11:46 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

ALso I have this pitcher that filters the water, I assume that makes it safe

Aluminum pans is another subject things taste better in other pans and aluminum pans are said to cause altzeimers
Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Thank you cinder i am going to check out my city water thingy... lol.. omg about the alheimers my grandmother has the wretched disease. i spent time with her on saturday it was nice..
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

You might be able to get the water tables online go to your city department web page
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Can you tell I ahve no life? I learned this crap while AH was in jail or rehab all online or magazines

If I could learn so much in that time, why couldnt he?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

lol well its good information cinder. i am proud of you i will check out my citys webpage... thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

lol at anvil.. i am looking up my too. if i have any questions cinder will you help me>?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

ok now we are way in left field, but i notice that if i leave a washer load to soak during the day, it gets a real almost sulphery smell. i also notice that a lot of ook tends to build up under the rim of the toilets, and in the faucet screens....
In Florida if you leave your clothes in the washer you smell mold. If you only leave them an hour they smell good until Ah starts to swe\at and then he smells like a wet dog. HeeHee.
Ook in toilets I thought that was from stale dirty water that men leave behind, and faucet screeens isnt taht pipe ook. My last house was old we'd get pieces of metal breaking off.

Ill try to help. You guys got me grossed out again Im ready to move back to the mountains where its fresh spring water
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey I have a question if aluminum pots lead to atzeimers,wouldnt using copper brillo pads as a filter in a pipe also cause additional brain damage?
Old 04-09-2007, 12:21 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

i am with ya cinder... LOL
Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Teke's gonna wonder what we did with her thread while she was out. LOL
OKay guys I ahve to cheer up. 90 minutes to home time and Im starting to feel sad again. Have to think happy thoughts, reality is gonna hit when I get home, earlier than usual without all the excitement of Ah being there and the kids are gonna be asking questions.