what is so attractive about an ALCHOLIC???

Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

by not choosing to get help, you ARE choosing the alcohol, aren't you ? No help equals continued drinking in my book. No boundaries in place from family equals continued drinking with no consequences.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:38 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

"I really need to know what makes me stay with my AH......we say we love these posessed people and dont consider leaving....."

In my personal experience, the "why" has nothing at all to do with how attractive or unattractive they (alcoholics/addicts) are and/or how much we love them or don't love them....it has everything to do with how much we love or don't love ourselves and how much we believe or don't believe that our HP wants goodness and happiness for us and is there for us to help us achieve those things.....

freya
Old 06-14-2006, 06:14 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

from ASpouse: you do not sound as if you are. You are too critical of others who are suffering just as you are or as you were.
My AH is the same. We dont know what Drew's real inside is like and how he feels. We all say things that are not from our guts....
My husband would say the same things. He does look at other A"s and judges them to the "T". Then he claims he doesnt "do that" or needs the help someone else may need. BUT HE DOES... he is in soooo dinial and that is what makes us crazy. Point is, my AH is suffering as much if not more and so sounds like Drew. Bless your heart Drew. I hope you are not like that and I am personally glad you are here to see a glimse of the other side.
I too tried to aid AH in trying to hit his bottom so then we may have an upswing. All that did was make me sicker.
I like this thread. To me it is my reality. Thanks Karen xo
Old 06-14-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenM
My AH is the same. We dont know what Drew's real inside is like and how he feels. We all say things that are not from our guts....
My husband would say the same things. He does look at other A"s and judges them to the "T". Then he claims he doesnt "do that" or needs the help someone else may need. BUT HE DOES... he is in soooo dinial and that is what makes us crazy. Point is, my AH is suffering as much if not more and so sounds like Drew. Bless your heart Drew. I hope you are not like that and I am personally glad you are here to see a glimse of the other side.
I too tried to aid AH in trying to hit his bottom so then we may have an upswing. All that did was make me sicker.
I like this thread. To me it is my reality. Thanks Karen xo
Yes.....sounds like my AH and AS......so brutal to others with the same problem...what they both call "those people" or my favorite: "BAD alcoholics" (those would be people who do/don't do something that is not an area where the alcoholism is directly effecting their life.....yet!).

Drew: glad you are here, hope you stick around. It really helps me to see different perspectives; and especially from A's (in recovery or not) and men. The more of us, the better!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I think alot of unhealthy people( Not just alcoholics) justify behavior by saying,
Im not as bad as...
Or
at least IM not....
or
I could be like...
or

For me, it was that I am not willing to settle for less than I want, whether thats better or worse, than someone else is not the issue for me.

Whether its better or worse, than my wishes and desires is my issue.

Um Minnie...pilots are so beautiful..although the ones I knew..using the word "knew" quite loosely here, were not very pleasant to be around for more than 1 hour.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:04 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

By popular request I moved all the "Dating tips for English ladies visiting America" over to the off topic thread which is on topic

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-ok-sarah.html

Mike
Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Have you checked out www.empoweredrecovery.com? The free e=book is really helpful.