The power of forgiveness... and a shift in thinking.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The power of forgiveness... and a shift in thinking.

I wouldn’t recommend this approach — but it’s what I needed.

My ex girlfriend’s unexpected call a few weeks ago left me in a very dark place. I had gone nearly a year of no contact, and then after hearing her voice... it triggered an emptiness that was unbearable.

Although her call angered me, it did something else... something unexpected. I started to dive deep into myself — to figure out NOT why she is who she is, but why I become so triggered. It’s a long story but I decided to do one task: FORGIVE.

The process began at a book store. I picked up Russell Brand’s powerful book, Addiction. I read it, and then I mailed it to my ex. But I included a note, not to change her or ask her to stop drinking... just to say I read it and I learned a great deal about myself. My actions were unintentionally different and because my focus was finally on myself, I received an unexpected outcome.

She emailed me with a simple response, that she received the book, was thankful and was planning to read it.

I can’t really explain why or how the next approach happened but I could feel myself changing within. I was “detaching with love” for the first time in my life. But I still couldn’t shake the sadness, so I asked her to dinner. Yes, you heard it right... dinner.

Now, I can envision everyone rolling their eyes in disbelief or fear that I may crumble. I would agree on such initial thoughts. This was a huge risk, and no lie... I was pretty scared. But I finally sat within that fear and analyzed, why? Why do I allow her to control my thoughts and the outcome for MY life? Why do I try to control her drinking? There’s a long list of questions I had for myself... and every hour I thought, sh*t... I’m making a huge mistake agreeing to meet.

Then, Monday night came and I chose the restaurant. I tried not to anticipate fear or disorder, just acceptance of all that I can’t control. To just be. She arrived on time, we hugged. We talked, cried a bit... reflected just a little, both deeply apologized... and most importantly, verbally both forgave. And that’s when the total dynamic shifted. Or maybe, everything shifted within myself?

Something BIG clicked! You see, my fears and issues were never about HER. It was about me, about my insecurities. All my focus had been placed on blaming her/her alcoholism, and not within my actions... my triggers... my issues. I allowed myself to sit there across from my ex without fear or an overwhelming sadness — but with forgiveness and a new profound inner peace.

Then she said, you’ve really changed. Somewhat surprised... I said, yes I have.

You see, I can’t explain why the shift in thinking happened for me, but I’m now so grateful for her phone call. It forced me to look deep within myself and to deconstruct my own fears, obsessions, and lack of boundaries.

The issue was never HER drinking. Although it was really tough... the problem, for myself was MY lack of boundaries and how I negatively responded to her drinking. For all those years, I was feeling helpless when in reality... I always had the opportunity to create change within myself. But I didn’t see things clearly.

I suddenly took responsibility and realized it was up to ME to make better, healthier choices.

Before dinner, I read all the powerful quotes I had saved to guide me. A great, simple article on how to deal with toxic people (not alcohol related) helped me get through this: https://www.heysigmund.com/toxic-peo...omment-page-1/

“Be understanding, compassionate, kind and respectful – but be all of them to yourself first. You can reject behaviour, requests and people without turning yourself into someone you wouldn’t like to be with. Strength and compassion can exist beautifully together at the edge of your boundaries. It will be always easier to feel okay about putting up a boundary if you haven’t hurt someone else in the process.”

Don’t you love that quote?... having both strength and compassion!

You may wonder how the dinner ended?
Well I’m now dating someone else that I really like. I told my ex this. She teared up and truthfully, I did too. It’s heavy to want something we can’t change... to dream of a different outcome that has never been... to want/see the very best in someone who is deep into the depths of addiction. All these things are OK to feel — but aren’t building blocks for a healthy relationship.

That’s not to say, I don’t think or believe she can overcome this addiction. She can or she won’t. Either choice, its hers and hers alone.

So I walked her home and for the first time, I let her walk through that front door by herself. Then I took a car home.

Tears are falling as I write all this out. But mostly happy tears. For I finally forgave both myself and my ex. I was able to find the closure I needed to truly move forward.

Forgiveness is a very powerful thing!

**A final thought... I wouldn’t have been able to do this many months ago. In most cases, I wouldn’t recommend this approach. And not everyone gets to a safe place to meet with their toxic alcoholic ex. It’s complex and not always safe or positive. I’m deeply thankful that it worked out — but it’s because I was ready and made sure my decisions were healthy ones.
“Forgiveness is about letting go of expecting things to be different. You’ll never be able to control the past but you can control how much power it has to impact your future. Forgiveness doesn’t mean accepting the behaviour or approving of it – it means that you’re not going to be controlled by it any more. It’s something done in strength and with an abundance of self-love. Don’t forget the way people treat you – for better or worse – and use that to help you live with clarity and resolve.”

Old 01-29-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post

Now, I can envision everyone rolling their eyes in disbelief or fear that I may crumble.
Well, first off let me say that I didn't roll my eyes!

Understanding that meeting up with an ex, period, can sometimes be hard. Meeting up with an ex that is still in active addiction can (and usually is) asking for more of the same. I didn't see that as where YOU are at. Although I didn't truly know how the story would go.

Personally I'm glad you met up. Sometimes we need to do things to settle things in a way that might go against the best advice from others. Only you really know what is best for you. Hopefully that always includes not hurting yourself intentionally!

I think it's great that you have discovered all this! I hope she will go on to live a life unencumbered by alcohol.

I'm also glad to hear you are seeing someone else and that you are happy with that.

Good stuff NYC!
Old 01-29-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FWN

“Forgiveness is about letting go of expecting things to be different. You’ll never be able to control the past but you can control how much power it has to impact your future. Forgiveness doesn’t mean accepting the behaviour or approving of it – it means that you’re not going to be controlled by it any more. It’s something done in strength and with an abundance of self-love. Don’t forget the way people treat you – for better or worse – and use that to help you live with clarity and resolve.”

Thank you for posting this, NYC. We talked specifically about forgiveness in my AlAnon group last night and went around the room and I had nothing to say on the matter (says a lot right there). But as I listened to the others I started realizing that forgiveness is not something you do for someone else, you do it for YOURSELF. And your post exemplifies exactly that. Good for you.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FWN

And thank you for mentioning that book! I just pushed it to my Audible account and will start listening to it soon.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Trailmix, well initially I gave myself the eye roll! I think because I allowed myself to “assume” the same outcome was inevitable, the ONLY option — and then, I realized... instead of “expecting” my ex to change her behavior... it was in MY very power to change my behavior, my responses and the outcome of my life.

The most interesting aspect of this experience was how “different” we appeared to one another. That in itself, says a lot.

I can’t fully explain all my feelings about it now but I stared into her eyes from a completely different perspective. I still had immense compassion, love and empathy for her... but without strings... the guilt, shame, and pressure I evoked on the both of us.

Oh in regards to the book... it’s loved by many because it’s basically the 12-steps but in a more real, “in your face” approach to working these steps... an addict speaking an addict’s language, if that makes sense. Heard the audio book is even better. It doesn’t focus on one addiction but lumps them all up taking away perhaps a certain shame to one vs the other for example.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FWN

Oh in regards to the book... it’s loved by many because it’s basically the 12-steps but in a more real, “in your face” approach to working these steps... an addict speaking an addict’s language, if that makes sense. Heard the audio book is even better. It doesn’t focus on one addiction but lumps them all up taking away perhaps a certain shame to one vs the other for example.
Yep - Russel himself reads it. I'm starting it literally.... now
Old 01-29-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

FWN, how interesting... yeah the word forgiveness is thrown around a lot but hey... it can only come when you’re deeply ready. I can’t explain it. And no words, not in my entire lifetime can truly equate to how good it felt last night. Not in a blinded way, but in a compassionate human-to-human way. The inner peace and feeling of acceptance is really healing.

Now prior to all this... I thought I had forgiven her (& myself) but now, I know otherwise.

The talk of closure is definitely brought up a lot. And real closure comes from yourself —but I will add, receiving closure from her I’m so deeply grateful for.

And, I know it meant a lot to her.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, NYC. Your story is helping my perspective shift. I've lately been caught up in the whole "Was I right to leave or was I wrong to leave?" mindset with all the follow on reasons why it may have been right and reasons why it may have been wrong, all open-ended concepts with no current resolution. Your writing is helping me to slowly change my thoughts on it all.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I noticed that you're dating someone you really like - did you tell that person that you initiated contact with your ex, took her out for dinner, hugged her and cried about wanting what you can't have, etc? If I were the person you're dating, I would see big red flags here.

If you didn't tell this person you really like, I think you're in ethical grey territory.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beautiful story - sounds like you just finished writing that chapter in you life. Onwards and upwards!
Old 01-29-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

PerSe; I can relate. I, too was plagued (and still partially) with the "was I right to leave or was I wrong to leave?" mindset. I believe it’s one of the most painful life/relationship dilemmas (especially with addicts), so I think first... the concept of “forgiveness of self” comes into play. For the shift in mindset comes when you consider, “I was right to leave, at the time, with the only life/survival tools I had.” Extreme environments (like alcoholic homes) often create extreme reactions to situations where both individuals ironically share a common feeling of helplessness and a lack-of-control. Yet, they look to the other for change, instead of looking within. At least in my experiences.

One of my favorite forgiveness quotes come from Oprah; “Forgiveness is giving up the hope that the past could have been any different.”

So powerful! There’s no resolution for the past — but there’s resolution for the now.

During dinner with my ex, she teared up a few times after saying how much she loved me. And I said, I’ll always feel the same way. She then said, why can’t we be together? My heart sank. I paused as I had to be very aware and considerate of my response. I said something like, because I wouldn’t want the same repeated outcome.

She nodded. And for once we both agreed that there was a lot of self work to be done. What that means for her... up to her? But I certainly know all the work I need to do... especially if I remain in partial contact with her. I’m not figuring that out right now. One day at a time...

My love for her hasn’t changed — although perhaps it’s ironically a healthier love. But my approach to dealing with “us” has... now that I’m finally dealing with me.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sasha, interesting point-of-view... but I didn’t cry with my ex “wanting what I couldn’t/can't have.” I could have gotten back with her right then... but that would have healed no one. You took my words out of context. What I was elaborating on was... I will always want the best for her as a human and someone I loved deeply. She helped me through well over 10 major surgeries! What kept me returning to the dysfunction was hoping the outcome would be different, but never was. I “wanted” a version of herself that she wasn’t able to give me at that time.

You’re misreading what forgiveness is all about, in my opinion. I didn’t commit an affair or raise red flags, just the opposite... I’m learning what healthy behaviors and boundaries are. I needed this closure, and I needed to forgive in order to be a healthy boyfriend for all my future relationships. I’m no good to myself or anyone, if I can’t get past this.

For the record, yes... I just started dating a woman I really like. It’s very early on. But I’m always transparent so told her and she supported my decision. She also said, I trust you and we all have a past.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get why you did it and I know what your intent was.

Just to play devil's advocate here. If she had shown up and said, if we love each other why can't we give it another try. I have been sober for the last 4 months and I'm attending AA and I'm in therapy. I KNOW I am an alcoholic and I don't ever want to drink again.

Would that have changed your response?
Old 01-29-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trailmix, that’s not fair because it didn’t happen that way. I know your point, but that wasn’t even close to what was on my mind. Geeze guys! Not all men are jerks. Anyone can play make believe with anything... I don’t know what the future holds but that’s why there’s boundaries. I worked with my therapist also prior to even asking her to dinner. Trust me, I’ve done a lot of work to get here.

Everyone has a past... past pain, past loves, past regrets, etc. Could’ve... would’ve... should’ve!?

Ask that then to everyone on this forum, hmmm?

I can’t change the past or even predict the future. I’m here to learn from others, share my story... and hopefully continue to heal. I made major progress whether some of you agree or not.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really didn't mean to offend you NYC and I don't actually think you did anything wrong, personally.

As to your progress, I totally agree. And no, I sure don't think all men are jerks (and I don't think you are either!).

I only asked as I thought you had probably asked yourself that question, bu wanted to make sure. I should have said no answer required. Sorry about that.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It’s my own triggers, Trailmix. I wasn’t even thinking about that and now I’m thinking about it. I honestly had no thoughts about “sobriety dreaming” as she’s never made it past 2-3 weeks sober.

Ugh. I shouldn’t have posted. Well I’m still glad I met with her. Anyway...
Old 01-29-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh no, I'm glad you did. I'm sorry if I upset the cart there! Your intentions are your intentions!

I think your intention was clear and you weren't holding out any hidden agenda, from what you posted. In fact I think what you did was very human, very compassionate and thought that right away.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I enjoyed the post, thank you for sharing. We all do have things from our past that we need to forgive. I think we need to accept there’s a lesson to learn and process so we can grow, otherwise we’re stuck living the same scenario and getting the same results until we comprehend the lesson.

thank you again for sharing, seems you have processed and accepted a life lesson, a hard one at that.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I apologize for making it sound like you were cheating on the woman you're currently dating. When I think about my concern, it actually isn't about her at all.

What caught my attention was that to me you sound almost euphoric - no words for how good you feel, rush of compassion and peace, etc. Maybe I'm cynical, but this emotional description, coupled with gazing into her eyes and both of you expressing how much you love each other, sounds a bit like the notorious "pink cloud" of infatuation with sobriety, when the addict or codependent or whatever you want to call it first gets clean. I hope that this really is the turning point for you.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
I apologize for making it sound like you were cheating on the woman you're currently dating. When I think about my concern, it actually isn't about her at all.

What caught my attention was that to me you sound almost euphoric - no words for how good you feel, rush of compassion and peace, etc. Maybe I'm cynical, but this emotional description, coupled with gazing into her eyes and both of you expressing how much you love each other, sounds a bit like the notorious "pink cloud" of infatuation with sobriety, when the addict or codependent or whatever you want to call it first gets clean. I hope that this really is the turning point for you.
I had a similar impression to Sasha, a certain unease reading your words.

Which is not to say that I don’t think this is progress and a part of your healing journey, I’m just cautious about big epiphanies or breakthroughs ever really amounting to some “final closure” or realisation from which you never look back.

I hope this doesn’t come across as presumptuous or condescending or like I know your situation better than you, just sharing my thoughts based on my experiences.