Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

He's admitted aloud he has an alcohol addiction and says he's quitting. I guess we are staying for..

He's admitted aloud he has an alcohol addiction and says he's quitting. I guess we are staying for..

Old 12-20-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

It was very difficult for me to accept that I needed to untangle my peace and happiness from whatever my alcoholic ex-boyfriend was doing. And from whether or not my alcoholic mother was drinking. Those things seemed impossible, unnatural, and unfair. For me, this was rooted in my own lack of self-worth and self-esteem. Who was I, after all, if I was not someone's daughter or someone's girlfriend? I couldn't imagine a worse fate than just having to be me.

It seems strange to talk about that time, now when I am solidly in place of being happy without the condition of someone else doing something or behaving a certain way. There is no doubt that your life would be so much easier right now if he wanted to stop drinking, but it would still be tied to actions that are 100% out of your control, and that is not a sustainable, long-term plan for living a happy life.

We'll be here for support however you move forward in the next days, weeks, and months.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

FWN, you made a comment about how triggering you AH drinking is, I so feel the exact same way. I have gotten to the point where like you said I used to enjoy having a few drinks occasionally, now I can't stand being around drinkers. The hard thing is it seems everyone around me likes to drink, a lot, not to problem levels but certainly more than I do. Makes me feel like an outsider, or a party pooper . Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up with your decision to stay for now, you've come this far, I doubt giving him this one last chance will hurt anything in the long run. Really hoping he makes the right choice for your family.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by Nd819 View Post
The hard thing is it seems everyone around me likes to drink, a lot, not to problem levels but certainly more than I do. Makes me feel like an outsider, or a party pooper .
I feel this way too, coming from the other side of the coin, being a sober A. It's not that I mind, but I can't get into the swing of things.