Chronic Anxiety?

Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
First thing I'd "prescribe" to all who deal with anxiety is to unplug from social media - entirely. ...

Of course, social media is not to blame for all anxiety, but it sure exacerbates the pain of those of us prone to it.
I got furious with someone's post on Facebook, and inactivated my account. I thought it would be difficult to get through a week (my goal) but it's been three or almost four, now, I think. And my Facebook account had been modified at that point so it was *almost* down to "pics of grandbabies and cat videos."

When I see over-the-top gooey-ness from someone to his/her spouse, cynical me always wonders how bad the argument was that prompted the oh-so-public attempt at portraying perfection. Of course, I don't post those thoughts online. I engage in image-crafting too, even if it's just editing cynical thoughts.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

If you have time for this Glenjo, they had so many requests for a replay in that series I posted in your other thread, they decided to do a 48 hour replay. I haven’t watched it yet myself, but I believe episode 2 has info on anxiety:

https://remedy.thesacredscience.com/replay-page
Old 06-15-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have had it for as long as I remember. I just didn't know what it was. About 7 years ago my NP tried to talk me into taking medication and I was afraid and stressing over it. Fast forward two years ago my new doc finally talked me into trying something. I knew I needed something. I developed a skin condition taut they think is autoimmune. I'm the opposite. When I'm stressed I don't eat. I've gained about 10 pounds since then, and I felt like a different person after only 2 days. I stil have days, but they are usually few and far between. I helped clear my head so I could develop good coping skills. I literally used to think non stop about everything and worry about everything. I am going through a stressful time in life right now, and last week between that and PMS lol, my anxiety was so bad. I hated the feeling. It was like I was panicked and out of control. Never ever going back to that full time. Oh, and people noticed the change in me.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My fear is if I were to take them it would change my brain chemistry and I wouldn't be me anymore.
When you think about how long human beings have been on this earth, I would suspect that prescription glasses have been around for a relatively short amount of time. I can't even begin to imagine the number of people who were surviving by a thread because of the nature of their eyes.

IMHO, medications that relieve anxiety and depression are Eyeglasses Version 1.0. If put eyeglasses on, it doesn't change the way I am, but it sure as hell changes the way I interact with the world. If the prescription is too strong, I'm going to end up with one hell of a headache and will be a pretty miserable being. If it's too weak, I'll also end up with a pretty frustrating experience. If I didn't have my glasses, I wouldn't be able to drive, bike, run, much less go on the Internet and suck hours of my life.

Nobody goes around and says, "Oh that Puzzled, what a dim-eyed weakling she must be because she wears glasses that are so thick they could line a glass-bottomed boat." They just deal. Every year or so, I go to my doctor and get the prescription adjusted. This year, I had to get progressives for the first time. Then I went on with my life.

In regards to anxiety in general, I do have anxiety with bouts of depression just for kicks. I have taken medication before and then went off it. I have a whole fricking toolbox of ways to channel my anxiety so it can actually do something useful for me. For example, when I was younger, I took acting classes so I could be less scared if I had to do a presentation for work. Those classes taught me to recast my anxiety as "energy" that could fuel any social interactions (I'm naturally an introvert, so I think of it as turning the switch "on" or "off"). They taught me to actually welcome the anxiety, because if I wasn't feeling anything at all it meant that I no longer cared about my actions, and nobody wants to see a bored actor. I developed tiny unobtrusive, rituals that channeled the chaotic frenzy of my feelings into something I could use. This sounds crazy, but I can almost feel the "kick" as I mentally turn the switch on. I also have worry rocks in my pocket, and knit like a dervish.

I know these solutions may sound incredibly trite, but I'm at a stage in my life where I'm finally beginning to tune out people's judgment, including my own. People around me sense it - I rarely hear "You should really talk to/hang out with your abuser" anymore, and when I do it gets easier to brush off. It's a great place to be.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Yea. Puzzled heart. I too was suddenly getting bouts of depression. I had the same fears about medication, but part of those fears were fueled by the anxiety itself. Kinda funny, huh? I research everything to death. I also did for
the meds and guess what you get? The worst possible scenarios. It's like the 4 hour Viagara disclaimer 😁 My low dose medication allows me to be who I really am and I know I'm much more pleasant to be around
Old 06-15-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I wanted to add... ironically there are so many helpful OTC/herbal supplements now. Yes, one still has to be careful with any pill — but I came across quite a few while researching vitamins for my ex while she was detoxing and then, vitamins post detox to help with anxiety, depression, dopamine levels, etc. I was amazed and they really helped her initially. When she stopped taking them to go back to drinking...ugh, I starting taking them (after much research of course!). So, my win! I’ll look for the list I saved & post.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post
Yea. Puzzled heart. I too was suddenly getting bouts of depression. I had the same fears about medication, but part of those fears were fueled by the anxiety itself. Kinda funny, huh? I research everything to death. I also did for
the meds and guess what you get? The worst possible scenarios. It's like the 4 hour Viagara disclaimer 😁 My low dose medication allows me to be who I really am and I know I'm much more pleasant to be around
I know what you mean about the fears being fueled by the anxiety. I got the prescription from the doctor today. It's a start. Haven't collected it yet. I'm procrastinating. referred to counselling also.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
I know what you mean about the fears being fueled by the anxiety. I got the prescription from the doctor today. It's a start. Haven't collected it yet. I'm procrastinating. referred to counselling also.
I'm glad to hear you have taken these steps Glenjo, can't hurt and if nothing else the counselling might really help.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'm glad to hear you have taken these steps Glenjo, can't hurt and if nothing else the counselling might really help.
Thanks hopefully the counselling will help. The medication is in a drawer. Still trying to decide to take it not...
Old 06-18-2019, 10:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Thanks hopefully the counselling will help. The medication is in a drawer. Still trying to decide to take it not...
I'd probably take two (kidding) but I totally get your reservations with coming off them, it can be hell.

I remember one time forgetting to take the pills for maybe 2 days and I was sitting at my desk and periodically I would get this feeling in my head and I would think wth is that, It's what they call "mind zaps" which you may be familiar with. Well doesn't that suck.

I have to say as I tapered to half a dose that I did have side effects for probably a week, maybe two.

I don't know what your previous tapering was but some people actually recommend doing it over months, including taking the little balls out of the capsules (if using capsules) and tapering ever so slowly.

I wonder if a conversation with a psychiatrist would help, since they specialize in these drugs.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'd probably take two (kidding) but I totally get your reservations with coming off them, it can be hell.

I remember one time forgetting to take the pills for maybe 2 days and I was sitting at my desk and periodically I would get this feeling in my head and I would think wth is that, It's what they call "mind zaps" which you may be familiar with. Well doesn't that suck.

I have to say as I tapered to half a dose that I did have side effects for probably a week, maybe two.

I don't know what your previous tapering was but some people actually recommend doing it over months, including taking the little balls out of the capsules (if using capsules) and tapering ever so slowly.

I wonder if a conversation with a psychiatrist would help, since they specialize in these drugs.
I just don't know if I need them. When I'm away from my home I seem to be doing better. Maybe it's the neighbour situation that's the issue. Too much noise and kids screaming, adults banging clattering. I don't know if this is reasonable reaction or anxiety that can be treated.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hold the bottle. Ask yourself if this is something good for you.

Tapping into inner gut instincts, just for this moment.

Also, it's okay to 'not know'.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Hold the bottle. Ask yourself if this is something good for you.

Tapping into inner gut instincts, just for this moment.

Also, it's okay to 'not know'.
Funny, that has been a big mantra of mine lately. It's ok not to know.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It is ok to not know, as long as you don't hang out there and actively seek answers (within reason) - otherwise you end up in procratinationville.

I do know what you mean about going out. Often if I am feeling blah and DO NOT want to leave my house, if I do, pretty much 95 percent of the time I return feeling better and feeling better while I'm out as well.

But, you have to return at some point.

I guess it's discerning whether or not it's a temporary lift in mood. Honestly? I doubt it's the neighbours. Now, you and I are two different people but stuff like that does bother me.

Is your mood/depression much worse in the summer? Now vs say November? If you are saying it may be SAD or lack of vitamin D in the winter and neighbours in the summer - that may just be depression.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi Glenjo,

I'm your friend from last summer. We had a rough ride. I was placed on benzos klonipin at 19 before we knew it was stronger than heroin. It was not controlled. Xanax, ativan, klonipin I'm 35 xanax was the worst did it change me oh yes it did xanax was by far the worst. My face would shift to the right and get stuck if I did not redos. I had bell's palsy for 23 says my face was stuck smile not aligned scary thing to go through at 25. I remained on xanax as I knew I was a doc prescribed xanax addict and knew if I cold turkey stopped being on high doses all those years I would most likely seize, hallucinate, and die. The drunk actually helped me he really hurt me by calling me a pill popper, an addict in fact I was by my medical team, a xanax head, all while I supported and enabled the most worst drug IMHO ALCOHOL the debt even 1 year later with my credit cards maxed out. I was popping benzos to drown out the verbal abuse. I read the valium way is the best way to go. I saw my doctor while with the drunk and said :Sir, I'm an addict. He said I know I can't take you off these things I'll lose my license I said please put me on valium it has a much longer half life and let's work on a taper. I had studied the Ashton Manual where valium is the way to go. I am still tapering as my anxiety is so bad I shake while driving, can't breathe, sob, and cry and people ask me if I need a paramedic. I have to try to calm down I don't want a silent heart attack. Another positive thing I did while dating the drunk i admitted I was an addict and wanted help.
What helps me:
No coffee
No social media
One hour of exercise a day
Journaling
Therapy
Taking it 5 mins at a time
Trying to eat healthy and cut toxic people out my life fast soon as I see a red flag you have to go.
Even if it means being alone which still hurts.
That is my truth I'm sure a lot of us have been prescribed benzos or offered them by our pcps but they are just like booze and you can be very mean on them. I also rapid texted people on xanax I fired them out like 2000 a day i mean benzos make you nuts. I admire your strength, I think you are doing great, if I knew at 19 about benzos and side effects believe you me I would not have signed up. Take care of you
Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jojoinflorida View Post
Hi Glenjo,

I'm your friend from last summer. We had a rough ride. I was placed on benzos klonipin at 19 before we knew it was stronger than heroin. It was not controlled. Xanax, ativan, klonipin I'm 35 xanax was the worst did it change me oh yes it did xanax was by far the worst. My face would shift to the right and get stuck if I did not redos. I had bell's palsy for 23 says my face was stuck smile not aligned scary thing to go through at 25. I remained on xanax as I knew I was a doc prescribed xanax addict and knew if I cold turkey stopped being on high doses all those years I would most likely seize, hallucinate, and die. The drunk actually helped me he really hurt me by calling me a pill popper, an addict in fact I was by my medical team, a xanax head, all while I supported and enabled the most worst drug IMHO ALCOHOL the debt even 1 year later with my credit cards maxed out. I was popping benzos to drown out the verbal abuse. I read the valium way is the best way to go. I saw my doctor while with the drunk and said :Sir, I'm an addict. He said I know I can't take you off these things I'll lose my license I said please put me on valium it has a much longer half life and let's work on a taper. I had studied the Ashton Manual where valium is the way to go. I am still tapering as my anxiety is so bad I shake while driving, can't breathe, sob, and cry and people ask me if I need a paramedic. I have to try to calm down I don't want a silent heart attack. Another positive thing I did while dating the drunk i admitted I was an addict and wanted help.
What helps me:
No coffee
No social media
One hour of exercise a day
Journaling
Therapy
Taking it 5 mins at a time
Trying to eat healthy and cut toxic people out my life fast soon as I see a red flag you have to go.
Even if it means being alone which still hurts.
That is my truth I'm sure a lot of us have been prescribed benzos or offered them by our pcps but they are just like booze and you can be very mean on them. I also rapid texted people on xanax I fired them out like 2000 a day i mean benzos make you nuts. I admire your strength, I think you are doing great, if I knew at 19 about benzos and side effects believe you me I would not have signed up. Take care of you
Thanks, I'm sure I'll work it out. Sounds like you had a rough ride. I'm still undecided but I know a few highly functioning people who are on a mild dose and manage to keep good careers in lecturing etc going, so perhaps it can't change who you are that much, and it may even help.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It is ok to not know, as long as you don't hang out there and actively seek answers (within reason) - otherwise you end up in procratinationville.

I do know what you mean about going out. Often if I am feeling blah and DO NOT want to leave my house, if I do, pretty much 95 percent of the time I return feeling better and feeling better while I'm out as well.

But, you have to return at some point.

I guess it's discerning whether or not it's a temporary lift in mood. Honestly? I doubt it's the neighbours. Now, you and I are two different people but stuff like that does bother me.

Is your mood/depression much worse in the summer? Now vs say November? If you are saying it may be SAD or lack of vitamin D in the winter and neighbours in the summer - that may just be depression.
It may just be, but boy the neighbours are ruining my summer, or I'm letting them (I know). It's hard when I just want to sit out my back and meditate or chill and there's constant noise. I feel like I let them win when I have to go back inside my house. I feel like I will let the ex addict win if I take anti depressants. What's with all this winning and loosing lol. All I know is away from my home I'm more relaxed, I'm starting to dread coming home now because it will be noisy out back. Perhaps this is a symptom of anxiety/depression. What this all boils down to is I'm still fearful of taking anything. Maybe I should trust that I don't know.

Maybe I have hyper vigelence/awareness from PTSD.

If only it would rain all summer, that would be great 🤔.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is good

Trusting in yourself is a great start, on all these levels.

Perhaps it's a healing time in your life that's meant for a different environment. Allowing your inner awareness to open up to opportunities can guide you quickly to what can help.

Maybe that starts as simply as a new quiet space to enjoy for an hour or two each day and momentum can build from there.

”I feel like I let them win when I have to go back inside my house."

Perhaps this is a part of the rhythm directing you very naturally to a different place. As I've set out intentions, watched them come about and have time to reflect back on them, it's often been uncomfortable things like this pushing me in new directions.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hey everyone,

Many of these posts are bordering on medical advice, and that is not allowed on SR. If you begin your sentence with "You should try..." or "Why not try...", then that becomes medical advice. Even if you work in a medical field, it is impossible to treat someone over the internet. If you want to share how a particular anxiety med worked (or did not work) for you, go for it.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Trusting in yourself is a great start, on all these levels.

Perhaps it's a healing time in your life that's meant for a different environment. Allowing your inner awareness to open up to opportunities can guide you quickly to what can help.

Maybe that starts as simply as a new quiet space to enjoy for an hour or two each day and momentum can build from there.

”I feel like I let them win when I have to go back inside my house."

Perhaps this is a part of the rhythm directing you very naturally to a different place. As I've set out intentions, watched them come about and have time to reflect back on them, it's often been uncomfortable things like this pushing me in new directions.
Yes I think I am being directed to a different place. Where I am now has sufficed up to now, but as I grow do does my living requirements. Quietness/peace and no neighbours sounds like heaven.