I Challenge You To... 100 Happy Days. Can you do it? Part 2

Old 06-27-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Day 80 - Its been a long weekend but today I bought a brand new car all by myself! the amount of sales tactics and things done to try and pressure me were unbelievable. It was exhausting but the look on the multiple salesman faces when I pulled out all my documentation and started throwing numbers back at them was priceless. I feel like I took a master class in standing up for myself and I got an A, not an A+ but an A. So I have a lovely reliable new ride and a new confidence in dealing with confrontation. Plus paid cash which was super fun because they were hoping to make extra money off of financing
Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Dawn, that's AMAZING!!!

I had a similar experience years ago & it was SO empowering to be able to put all those salesmen in their place! They kept trying to get me to share my research.... what? NO! "Why don't YOU know as much as *I* do?", I asked one of them. He was NOT impressed!

Go Dawn!!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

FireSprite, I suggest you run right out and buy a lottery ticket--you certainly seem to be on a roll!

dawnrising, I can TOTALLY relate to the car-buying experience, having had a similar experience myself.

Three years ago, I bought a horrible piece of crap that I spent far, far too much on in repairs--should have quit long before I did. Lesson learned? Never buy a used car from an individual without having your own mechanic check it out first (I was freshly post divorce, exhausted and stupid, not making good decisions obviously).

Two years ago, dumped the POS ride and got a much newer and better one. XAH had come with me to help, but I was the one making the final decision and doing the talking to the salesman.

One year ago, I decided that while I liked that car, I didn't love it. I drive for a living and I wanted a car for my personal life that I really loved. This time, after researching, I went to the car dealer by myself and did the whole thing on my own. Got a cute green Kia Soul w/a manual trans, and I DO love this car!

Yep, I know how empowered and wonderful you feel, b/c I felt the same way. Congratulations--on the car, on the experience, on your growth!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Great idea HP! I might just do that!!

I did get an unexpected check in the mail so Woohoo - bills paid early this month & enough leftover for my spontaneous vacation. (easy since it's basically just food & gas)

So hey, maybe that IS my lottery win?

It's also great timing because while DD will miss the fireworks at the beach for the 4th, it's pretty much the ONLY part she'd like. She's not a beach girl. Yet. I wasn't at that age either.

I love how you turn these threads into conversations honeypig.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I love how you turn these threads into conversations honeypig.
Thanks for putting such a positive spin on it, FS--some might call it hijacking instead!!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Excited to get the pups 2nd round of shots done tomorrow so he can get out into the world and play with other dogs!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Really happy to have lunch w/an ex-co-worker. She is reasonably happy in her new job, although it's not perfect, but what she is MOST happy about (and I know you'll be able to relate, firebolt!) is the new-to-her Harley that she rode up on when we met for lunch!! She's a bit nervous and wobbly yet, but she's had her license for 2-1/2 years, waiting for the moment her debts were paid off and she could get the bike.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:18 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Super cool, Honeypig!

I wish I could remember who told me this when I first started riding and was wobbley on the roads, but I've always remembered the actual wisdom...

"When you start riding, you hold a bag full of luck in one hand, and in the other, an empty bag of experience. The key is to fill up the bag of experience before that bag of luck runs out."

I probably put 5000 road miles on that summer to try and fill up my empty bag Safe and happy trails to her!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I will pass on those words of wisdom to her, firebolt!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
"When you start riding, you hold a bag full of luck in one hand, and in the other, an empty bag of experience. The key is to fill up the bag of experience before that bag of luck runs out."
Love this, thanks for sharing!!

Happy that I rented the classic "Labyrinth" with David Bowie from my local library - this is one of my childhood favorites & my IC could sure use that attention & love right now.

I'm amazed that following a conversation with my bestie last night, I'm seeing a completely new fractal emerge in my life's pattern. Archetypical ties from a new perspective - the way, way bigger picture.

She often has the BEST perspective because we live so far away & still do that old-fashioned talking on the phone thing..... so for her to fully understand, I have to be a clear communicator & vice versa. But that also allows us to get a broader & deeper scope of the other's situation & all the characters & details involved.

Does that make sense? So much of what I'm going through is easy to view as one thing on the surface but I think I've hit a completely new level & that I'm also handling it in a completely new way as a direct result of my personal evolution.

It would be so easy to dismiss it & focus on everything happening around me - I have NO shortage of places to shift blame, it wouldn't be hard.

But this is about ME. MY Journey. It's MY next stage.

It's that phoenix thing still going for me - I'm still somewhat burning to ash & holding for my resurrection.

This morning I listened to a 2-part interview on youtube that Oprah did with Paulo Coelho, the author of "The Alchemist". (amazeballs)

A quote from his book says it perfectly for me right now, this day; "Don't give in to your fears. If you do, you won't be able to talk to your heart."

It's painful. I see why many refuse to embrace this stuff. But I'm just not built that way so I'm going to choose to burn.... and be appreciative for the perspective that allows me to see it as a necessary growth point.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Happy that I rented the classic "Labyrinth" with David Bowie from my local library - this is one of my childhood favorites & my IC could sure use that attention & love right now.
STILL one of my favorites! THe characters, the sets, the MUSIC! (Bowie...<3)

Headed to the lake tomorrow through Sunday to officiate a marriage vow renewal ceremony for friends, camp and see how the new pup does out in his future lifestyle!

Happy weekend all!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:37 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

XAH turned me on to that movie (probably 98% of all the movies I've EVER watched were w/him) and it's one of my favorites too!

Hard to believe that David is gone...

Old 07-02-2018, 07:52 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Day 81 - spent the day relaxing after my battle at the car dealership, my stomach was finally feeling the effects of the stress. resting up before my trip.
Day 82- got my house back in shape so I can actually relax a little
Day 83 - AH company is provided the correct long awaited financial documents to day and I am on vacation with 17 friends lots of silliness
Day 84- played all day long in the water and laughed more than I have in years. these people are exhausting but so sweet and kind and we all take care of each other. I needed this more than I realized
Day 85 - on the way home again- long talks with one of my bff's, a completely exhausted body and sorta ready to go home. What I learned on this trip is that these people see me - I am accepted, they see how giving and kind I am, they see that i'm funny and don't take myself to seriously, they also see my flaws and there is no judgement at all, just acceptance.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Still happy from a great weekend at the lake. My friends vow renewal ceremony went well - people laughed and cried, and that was my goal when writing the ceremony. I met a guy that I have a lot in common with and was really fun to talk to. Great meals, a lovely fire and time with friends. My pup learned to swim (YAY!!), and is still tired from playing so hard!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

What a special experience to share with close friends, firebolt!

So appreciative of a great weekend - I'm really learning to slow down & honor my ever-changing internal grid. (WITHOUT self judgment)

I can enjoy Right Now even though it's the only baby step I have figured out, right? Right. Going way, way back to my Alice in Wonderland roots here - observe, consider, challenge, but trust my gut.

DD's reports continue to get better with every passing day, from both her personally & all the peeps "in-charge" & reporting in from all sides - the social, academic & emotional growth are noticeable to me already. I swear I can feel her perspective shifting from here...!!
Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
What I learned on this trip is that these people see me - I am accepted, they see how giving and kind I am, they see that i'm funny and don't take myself to seriously, they also see my flaws and there is no judgement at all, just acceptance.
AWESOME!!!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Day 86 - giant lazy day! Both kids had therapy today and shared with me which was nice. Both are making strides toward establishing boundaries and learning what healthy relationships are. All in all a good day
Day 87 - I had therapy today, shared my progress and my fails. Feeling pretty good about progress and well aware of what I need to work on. Spent the evening with my kids. lots of laughs.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I finally got word that I can increase my work hours. I'm not ecstatic but I'm happy that I have more options now.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:03 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I was surprised & delighted to find that the condo we are staying in has a workout room facing a small man-made lake separating it from the neighboring property. While I was walking on the treadmill, I caught sight of one of my spirit animals, the pileated woodpecker, drumming at the few trees that border the lake on my side.

I see these occasionally and they are always stunning, but I never expected to find one at the beach!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Happy for an extended lake weekend with my pup!