Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

FireSprite, so glad there are so many positive and fun things going on in your life!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Grateful for all the rain we've been getting - things are looking GREEN around here!

Grateful that my job lets me bring who I am to the table of what we do in our service model - over the last few weeks I've been helping a long-time client maneuver buying & selling homes, weeks apart. This guy is a retired military vet who has faced down unspeakable challenges but this process of borrowing a short-term loan from his IRA to bridge the gap between closings nearly drove him crazy. I've never, ever seen him stressed like this in the 15 or so years I've known him. I worked with his realtor & CPA to create a solution that would have a zero tax impact on him & keep him from having to apply for any sort of financing - as well as keep him perfectly in his comfort zone of believing he was 100% in Control At All Times. Today he came in to the office just to thank me for keeping him calm & level & focused on what was REALLY important- enjoying his new home.

It's a warm & fuzzy day, folks!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Good for you, FireSprite! People who bring who they are to what they do are a priceless asset to an employer and a blessing to their clients!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:02 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Had this come in my email this AM and thought this was a good place to share it:

Attitude, Gratitude

I woke up early today, excited over all I get to do before the clock strikes midnight.

I have responsibilities to fulfill today. I am important.

My job is to choose what kind of day I am going to have.

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful that the grass is getting watered for free.

Today I can feel sad that I don’t have more money or I can be glad that my finances encourage me to plan my purchases wisely and guide me away from waste.

Today I can grumble about my health or I can rejoice that I am alive.

Today I can lament over all that my parents didn’t give me when I was growing up or I can feel grateful that they allowed me to be born.

Today I can cry because roses have thorns or I can celebrate that thorns have roses.

Today I can mourn my lack of friends or I can excitedly embark upon a quest to discover new relationships.

Today I can whine because I have to go to work or I can shout for joy because I have a job to do.

Today I can complain because I have to go to school or eagerly open my mind and fill it with rich new tidbits of knowledge.

Today I can murmur dejectedly because I have to do housework or I can feel honored because God have provided shelter for my mind, body and soul.

Today stretches ahead of me, waiting to be shaped.

And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping.

What today will be like is up to me.

I get to choose what kind of day I will have!

Have a great day…unless you have other plans!

-- Anonymous
Old 05-26-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

What a great morning read!

I woke 15 mins before my alarm this morning so before I could 2nd guess my decision, I dove into a 12 min meditation that I like to start my day off right. Then this was the first post I read today.

Thank you honeypig, I am grateful every day for the wonderful contributions you share here at SR, from all of these fantastic sources.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Happy TGI-half-day-Friday-and-then-a-long-holiday-weekend, everybody!!

I am very excited about the time off, mostly unscheduled except for a lot of self-pampering stuff I have planned while DD is off for an all-day field trip on Saturday.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

THat's awesome HP, I could read that every day and gain something from it!

And FS - I love that you squeeze in a morning meditation - I NEED to start doing this!

Grateful for a long weekend - of tending to my poor garden, planting my flower pots, and working on ma bike. I picked up a handlebar mount analog clock and thermometer. I've felt the pains of not having a clock on my dash while riding too many times - not so more after this weekend!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Grateful for FireSprite's recommendation of "Goddesses Never Age"! I've been reading for a few nights now before going to sleep and have found so much that rings true for me.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I was consulting my "Earth Magic" cards fairly regularly for a while but have been neglecting them lately. Seeing as how I have THREE whole days in a row off, something that is a rare treat w/this job, I decided it would be good to get them out. I asked to be shown a guiding thought for the next few days, something to bear in mind when making decisions and a lens to view things through. Here's what I got:

The storm has passed, and it is time to enjoy the refreshing beauty of this cycle, even though it has been difficult to appreciate any sense of purposefulness in what you have endured lately. You can now, as they say, count your blessings. Do not just look at the “brighter side” adhering to some academic mantra that has no heart or depth, but do so slowly and with genuine gratitude that is expressed up close and personal.

This ever-evolving process of Life itself is a blessing – and opportunity to exist as a human being on Earth. The planet is a beautiful garden, even if it does not always appear to be so. Sometimes it is only when you look back at a memory of an experience that you can truly see the blessings that have come from them. Bless your difficult or painful experiences and let them go.

When I consider that I saw a rainbow on Friday morning, I have to think this is a doubly powerful message for me! I'm going to bear in mind that "Attitude, Gratitude" reading as I go about the jobs I have planned this weekend.

Instead of griping that the grass needs cutting AGAIN and that I haven't yet bought anything to go in my few planters, I'm grateful that I have the luxury of such a fine large yard in a place in the world where plants grow easily and well and birds and animals of all kinds stop in for food, water and/or shelter.

Instead of beating myself up for the fact that it was last year Labor Day that I bought the paint I'm finally going to use this weekend and lamenting the fact that I worked so many hours last week that I didn't get any of the prep work done like I planned, I'm happy that I have a house that needs care and that I have a job that will pay me overtime for those hours. If I only get one room done instead of two, that's OK.

Here's to fresh starts and blessings for all! Hope everyone has a really great weekend.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Grateful to have learned how to say no when it's appropriate. Phone rang at 3:30 this AM, one of the bakers wondering if I was coming in (normally I show up between 1:30 and 2:00). I told him I wasn't working today, employee X was covering for me, and that the driver schedule down by the office reflected this. Pause at the other end. "Oh." I paused too, then said "if you have employee X's number, I suggest you call him. If not, or if you can't reach him, then call Manager or Boss." Pause. "Oh. OK." And I wished him a decent day and hung up. And heard no more.

Not all that long ago, I would have gone into panic overdrive and rushed down there to fill the hole caused by someone else's irresponsibility, stewing and totally pi$$ed off. Today, knowing I'd covered my hind end by saving both the email from employee X saying he'd work for me AND the email to Boss saying that this was the case, plus having checked the schedule on the wall to make sure the change had been made, I was able to let someone else's problem BE someone else's problem.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Victory

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Grateful to have learned how to say no when it's appropriate. Phone rang at 3:30 this AM, one of the bakers wondering if I was coming in (normally I show up between 1:30 and 2:00). I told him I wasn't working today, employee X was covering for me, and that the driver schedule down by the office reflected this. Pause at the other end. "Oh." I paused too, then said "if you have employee X's number, I suggest you call him. If not, or if you can't reach him, then call Manager or Boss." Pause. "Oh. OK." And I wished him a decent day and hung up. And heard no more.

Not all that long ago, I would have gone into panic overdrive and rushed down there to fill the hole caused by someone else's irresponsibility, stewing and totally pi$$ed off. Today, knowing I'd covered my hind end by saving both the email from employee X saying he'd work for me AND the email to Boss saying that this was the case, plus having checked the schedule on the wall to make sure the change had been made, I was able to let someone else's problem BE someone else's problem.
That's a victory. I feel your anxiety from over here... when he called I may have considered going in to. Great! Enjoy your time off.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good goin'! Great to realize we aren't responsible for rescuing the world, isn't it?

I was asked recently, on VERY short notice, to do a training in Brazil. Brazil! Now, I would have loved to go, and I even had a coworker who wanted to meet me in Rio for the weekend after, but I would have had to scramble, pay to board my cats (neighbors not back from their winter home yet). The reason for the last-minute ask was that the person from the partner organization that was running this had someone unable to go. This organization does this sort of thing often, and we do try to help them out.

The thing is, I would have needed a visa, and would have had to travel to NYC the very next day to get it. That's sort of where I drew the line. I had things to do the next day and didn't want to spend it traveling back and forth to the embassy to get a visa. So my colleague, who was already going to be in Brazil the following week, agreed to do it. I felt a little bit bad because he's CONSTANTLY on the road already, but he loves the travel. I help him out with his writing assignments, and if he was jammed up I'd go out of my way to help him out, but I felt no particular obligation to kill myself for this partner organization.

Oh, and I did my bit by covering a meeting in Minneapolis that the guy going to Brazil was supposed to do. It all worked out.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Grateful for a wonderful weekend! I had a fantastic night out with 3 of my friends on Saturday, got a ton of Me-Time before & after, finalized our summer beach plans/reservations (while we spent a couple of hours AT the beach this morning, gotta love technology, haha).... AND I just finished a little retail therapy online where I snagged 3 pair of wedge-heeled sandals for $37, which I can pick up at the local mall tomorrow after work.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful for this forum & all of you guys.

I've picked up so much around here over the years that I've been able to really clearly see a lot of sociopathic, red-flag activity happening with someone in another part of my life over the last few months.

What might have totally baffled me in the past (I really knew nothing of spotting the signs of gaslighting, narcissism, triangulation, etc.) has absolutely failed to engage me in unhealthy ways despite his concerted efforts at exactly that. Sooooooo nice to just walk away from other people's drama!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Grateful for a lovely walk in the woods w/the houndies today. It was warm but not too hot yet, not humid, nice breeze--it was just so pleasant to walk on the dirt/bark chip path among the trees wearing sandals. Everything is so green! Tree leaves, shrubs, all kinds of grasses, wildflowers and weeds, and it's a sunny day, so the patterns of light shining down through the moving leaves were beautiful, too.

There was a big, low, rounded rock so thickly covered w/lush green moss that I just wanted to go lie down on it and look up into the leaves for hours on end! The dogs didn't think that was the best way to use the time we had, though, so we pressed on.

Saw the first wild columbine in bloom that I've seen this year, one of my absolute favorite wildflowers!

Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Gorgeous, HP!

Oh FS, I feel the same way. My views, and judgments, and willingness to get involved in chaos have changed so much in the last few years because of this place!

I gave gratitude today for a surprise overnight visit from a friend. A relaxing evening and good meal with an old buddy makes my day.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I stumbled across an acoustic version of a song that I love & found a place to download the version for free (legally, lol). I'm so grateful for the little things like this that add color & texture to Life.

I don't think this song is necessarily up anyone's alley (except maybe my fire-twin.... but then again, Lexie IS having that 2nd childhood..... ) but I'll link it anyway -

Evan's Blue, Cold (but still here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1WkiPsm8gs

Lyrics

Hello, I'm your martyr, will you be my gangster
Can you feel my trigger hand, moving further down your back
When you hide, hide inside that body
But just remember that when I touch you
The more you shake, the more you give away

Cold, but I'm still here, blind, ‘cause I'm so blind, say never
We're far from comfortable this time
Cold, now we're so cold, mine, and you're not mine, say never
We're far from obvious this time

Wait, another minute here, time will kill us after all
Now can you feel its second hand wrapped around your neck
So fall into my eyes and fall into my lies
But don't you forget
The more you turn away, the more I want you to stay

You're so endearing, you're so beautiful,
Well I don't look like they do, and I don't love like they do
But I don't hate like they do
Am I ever on your mind?

Cold, you broke me from the very first night
I'd love you ‘til the day that I die
I'm far too comfortable this time
Cold, I loved you from the very first night
You broke me ‘til the day that I die
I'm far too obvious this time
Old 06-23-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

TGIF!

I'm working from home 2 days each week through the end of summer & I could not be enjoying it any more if I tried.

DD just had her best birthday ever last weekend & it made me so incredibly happy & grateful. We spent the day with her & her 3 besties & had an absolute blast doing stuff with them & observing & listening to them interact with each other. Such GOOD kids.

I'm loving summer these last few years. I know that's odd for a FL resident & I'll probably retract this opinion after a few more weeks of sweltering heat & humidity, but I've come to really enjoy parts of it too. Being able to walk just after sunrise & it's already almost-too-hot, not so much rushing around for deadlines & schedules, the focus is so much more on enjoying & living life with all the activities. I even love the big, booming storms as long as I'm not driving in it.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

FS, I was out loading my van and delivering in a big pouring booming storm this AM too, but I was enjoying it at least part of the time! It's all in your outlook, right?

I am grateful for a certain person here on SR who made me a bunch of Brene Brown discs 2 years ago. I've been re-listening to them, and not surprisingly, I understand them more and differently than I did the first time through. No end of things to learn.

I think my mantra is going to be "when I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change." Boy, do they ever!

Wishing all a wonderful, delightful, fantastic weekend. Hope you get whole big bunches of whatever you like best!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I've been re-listening to them, and not surprisingly, I understand them more and differently than I did the first time through. No end of things to learn.
Me too!! I just finished Rising Strong & The Power of Vulnerability for the 3rd time!

Can I just tell you what a GIFT you've given me by actually listening to the CD's honey? Do you know how many people I've shared these with (at their request - it's different when I dump them on people unexpectedly) who refuse to take the time to read or listen to a single word?

I want to jump up & down & cheer that something so small could make a difference in your world, thousands of miles away. You just made my already-great day all the more wonderful.