Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

This is the continuation of the "Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - part 3", which can be found here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

Mike
Old 04-06-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Grateful I get to see my sis tomorrow night! And then we're all travelling a couple hours to watch my 9 year old niece competitively ice skate. 2 hours for 6 minutes of skating and some priceless time with the fam <3 Happy almost Friday all!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay for part 4!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Grateful that my folks, no matter what, still love me. I have asked my father to come and spend time with me over the weekend. A 60-year-old man whom I've constantly disappointed will travel 14 hours to spend time with me when I need him the most. Thoroughly grateful for the unconditional love.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think that's terrific! Family can be a great help in breaking free from a toxic loop.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that I recently scored my dream job in my dream location! I'm starting in the fall and can hardly wait! I put a lot of work into getting here over the years and am so thrilled that it's paying off. I'm also grateful for my son's wonderful nanny, who is so sweet with him and always there when we need help. I sometimes get caught up in day to day frustration when she doesn't do things quite as I ask, but the bottom line is that we are so lucky to have her in our lives. I'm a single parent and my parents both died from the consequences of their alcoholism years ago, so it's a big gift from the universe that we got so lucky with her. She is grandma age and has been a great surrogate grandma to us both.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by jjj111 View Post
I'm grateful that I recently scored my dream job in my dream location! I'm starting in the fall and can hardly wait! I put a lot of work into getting here over the years and am so thrilled that it's paying off. I'm also grateful for my son's wonderful nanny, who is so sweet with him and always there when we need help. I sometimes get caught up in day to day frustration when she doesn't do things quite as I ask, but the bottom line is that we are so lucky to have her in our lives. I'm a single parent and my parents both died from the consequences of their alcoholism years ago, so it's a big gift from the universe that we got so lucky with her. She is grandma age and has been a great surrogate grandma to us both.
That's awesome. We found somebody like that when my oldest son was born. When the kids were toward the end of grade school they moved across the country to Colorado, where they still live. My oldest is now 30, and their "kid-sitter" still flies across the country to visit them (she's now in her mid-late 80s and has been in poor health for years and years but she's still kicking). The kids still love her, and she has been just like a grandma to them all these years. My mom died when my oldest was a baby and my ex's mom died about 15 years ago, so she was VERY important in their lives.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Grateful for Groupon offering me a 20-day extension on a yoga offer I bought back soon after the first of the year but just never got to use. It expired on March 31, but I got an email offering the extension as a "one-time courtesy."

I finally got my act together and went and activated the offer on Wednesday (1 month of unlimited yoga at a place a few miles from my house). There is a noon class each weekday that is of a type and at a level that I can handle, so I'm planning to make the most of it while it lasts and go as often as I can.

I have done 2 yin yoga classes and I am feeling it!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh how many happy days and restful nights did I only have. I left in May 2015. Of course there are little life struggles from time to time, but everything is easier to handle.

I think I found my inner peace.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grateful for a pleasant chat with a kind stranger.

I was getting towards the end of my neighborhood walk with my dog last night when I saw a man, maybe in his 70's out walking his dog. He slowed down until I caught up, said he hadn't seen me before, and introduced himself and his dog. I pet his dog and asked how old he was. He said, well I have a story about this dog if you'd walk with me a bit - I said sure, I have a few more blocks in me.

So, he and I walked for a couple more MILES (you do not complain about or wuss out on distance when you're walking with someone double your age LOL) while he told me the long, vivid story about finding this poor starving, freezing puppy on a difficult mountain top hike, several miles back country in the winter, with a broken tether around its neck. He went back several times looking for the grown dog that was with it, but could never get it to come close.

He was a magnificent, fun and a colorful story teller, and I'm grateful, that I chose to catch up and chat and make a new neighborhood friend, rather than crossing to the other side of the street with my invasive, barker of a dog like I usually would!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What a cool story, fb!

And I know what you mean about "those times" when you don't wuss out, too...
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am very grateful that our season is finally winding down & I am almost starting to breathe again..... whew!

Even more grateful that my boss will be traveling soon & I'll be able to have great solo catch-up time here at the office.

Happy that we managed to plan DD's birthday already - she always picks something unique so this year we are taking her 3 BFFs to do an Escape Room and play laser tag. She wanted to add ice skating, but IDK if I can squeeze all that in for the same day, we'll see!

I've missed you all, but I've needed to take a bit of a mental break from electronics & social media for a while too. I've jumped in to read here & there but haven't had time for much more than that.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Grateful for a family work weekend.

When someone in the fam needs a deck built, a tree chopped, major car repair, a new roof, or some form of manual labor cheaply done, we all rally and 'get er done' together. I love it.

Because of this and a handy dad, grandfather, and brother, I can wire a garage, plumb a bathroom, fix a water heater, and roof a house. We all can, and it't pretty cool to have the time to bond, bicker, laugh, and get some needed $h!t done.

This weekend, were painting the inside of my parents house, rebuilding part of the fence and fixing the doorbell and other odds and ends so mom can sell it and downsize. It's really really bittersweet for her, and shes dragging her heels, but financially she can't do it anymore....and I'm just looking forward to the quality time and paint fight between my bro, sis and I that is certain to come with this kind of work weekend....

yes, we're adults ...sort of
Old 04-21-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Grateful for some moisture last night and today in the form of a spring snow storm. It makes it easier to weed the garden.

Also grateful for my neighbor who goes to the Rec Center with me. She is profoundly disabled by Parkinsons but still can laugh and never passes up an opportunity to work out.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

fb, I LOVE that your family is like that! Kind of like the pioneers and their barn raisings and threshing and so on. I wish I lived closer to you and your family and could take part in these "fix-it fests"!

BKA, I find it hard to imagine being grateful for snow right now, but I do agree, moisture makes it so much easier to pull weeds. The soil is mostly clay by me, and once it hardens in the heat, you aren't going to pull ANYTHING out of it, EVER!

Grateful for another day of not too windy weather so I can do some more of my own weed control. As much as I hate to use it, I do Roundup--there is just too much land here for one person to make a dent running around w/a trowel and bucket. Got round 1 done a few days ago and the thistles, burdocks, and garlic mustard are all showing the effects. Buckthorn is rampant, but I usually have to saw those down and then spray the new shoots over the course of a few years to really get to them. I read the other day that cutting buckthorn down, then drilling holes into the stump and pouring straight, undiluted Roundup down the holes will kill them outright, but I'm a bit leery of using the concentrate for anything...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My organization has been in the process since NOVEMBER of hiring someone to replace one of our colleagues who's leaving--I've never been anywhere that the process is so excruciatingly slow. Numerous rounds of interviews, endless discussions, and we finally had someone we planned to bring out for an interview. As part of that, we had this person write an article for publication. To say the finished product was problematic (in my view, anyway) is an understatement. Another person and I hit the alarm buttons, but our boss felt "totally opposite" about the piece. We were just SAVED by the candidate's decision to withdraw the application because of another offer. My relief (and that of the other person) was palpable. The candidate would not, we felt strongly, have been a good fit. The bad news is that we are back to the drawing board, but the good news is we won't be bringing someone on board that at least a couple of us (in our very small organization) did not have a good feeling about. This person had a solid background, and was very likable, but the tone of the article was, at least two of us felt, inconsistent with a lot of the principles we value.

In other hiring news, my older son, whose company was bought out by another and who may soon be without a job (no timeline yet) has been searching for a new position. He interviewed for one, and so impressed the interviewers that they want to consider him for a different, more responsible position. The recruiter said there were a couple of department heads "fighting over him." He just went on another interview for one of these positions on Friday, and he felt it went very well. Fingers crossed! I'm so proud of how far he's come.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh I just have to add my news here. Three years post cancer and two years of trying when everyone thought it would never happen I'm having my first child - a girl! I found out the surrogate was pregnant Easter Sunday! I also bought a new house for me and the baby. And I started searching for my father's birth family.

I've never been so excited and so grateful.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great stuff all around you guys!!!!

I'm just grateful the fires that started about a mile from my house this weekend decided to travel away from us. But for the wind shifting just slightly, our home would have been in the direct path & outside of getting everyone to safety there's nothing I could have done to save my property. We would have been one of the families that lost everything.

I drove right down the street where it started not 30 mins before it happened & there was nothing out of place at all. Something pushed me to go home very early that day even though it was out of routine & I had no reason to. By the time DD got off the bus 40 mins later, 100 acres were already on fire 1.5 miles from our house & our street was being used as a roadway for emergency vehicles coming in from other counties. She would have flipped out if she had been home alone & it would have taken me forever to re-route around it to get home.

Most of our firefighters have been assisting on a much larger, longer burning fire in another county for the last few days so it took resources from all over the place to contain this one - I've never seen so many heavy construction vehicles hauled in. The losses are devastating but those guys & gals saved A LOT of homes too. Driving through yesterday you can see houses standing untouched while everything around them is scorched. It's the strangest juxtaposition of happy/sad.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Grateful for a pleasant morning walk/jog w/my little black Demon Terrier, covering some ground we haven't covered before. The sky is clear, the sun just coming up, and the ground frosty and sparkly. In particular, a wild rose bush beside the road w/each tiny leaf rimmed in silver caught my attention. Daisy, the terrier, was much more captivated by the dried-out deer head she found under some trees...

And then home and now here w/a cup of chicory/coffee blend w/milk and honey in it, plus some whipped cream on top just b/c it's Sunday and I'm happy!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

And then home and now here w/a cup of chicory/coffee blend w/milk and honey in it, plus some whipped cream on top just b/c it's Sunday and I'm happy
HP, that, plus your walk sounds just delightful!

I logged some miles late last week and this weekend solo on the bike, and then took the dog hiking and looking for morel mushrooms. Only found 2, but thoroughly enjoyed the peace, beauty, fresh air and alone time outdoors. Spring is finally here and it feels good to take advantage of the bluebird days between thunderstorms and snow.