Infinite Happy Days - Gratitude and Joy Posts - Part 4

Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Laughed hard about the Black Seed Oil being the cure for everything except death! I'm going to have to look into this stuff...
Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Grateful for my colorful new dish cloths and 2 new scrubby brushes as well as my clean new dishpan! The old ones are worn and stained; it's really nice to get new ones.

Plus I scored a shiny red wheelbarrow yesterday for $15 from craigslist. Some of you may remember my friend the wheelbarrow when XAH was not removing his stuff quickly enough to suit me--well, my BIL asked to borrow a wheelbarrow. I told him I had 2 and he could take the one that needed a new tire, fix it and keep it if he liked. He of course took the one that DIDN'T need repair...

Anyway, this one cost less than a tire would have. It's not big or super heavy duty, but then again, neither am I, so it will likely be quite sufficient to my needs. Plus it is shiny RED!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Going to see Tom Petty tonight! Will be nice to be able to get lost in the music for a while. I saw him TWICE in a week, a year or two ago--he was so terrific I bought a ticket for the next show.

Right now I'm trying to unload my Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper ticket for next week. If I don't get a nibble in the next day or two I'll cut my price (and my loss). I'd rather give it away than have it go to waste.

I HOPE that's the only one I'll miss--though Chicago/Doobie Brothers looks iffy. The very END of July is Diana Ross--and that one I do NOT want to miss!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I hope your missed concerts are at a minimum too, Lexie! Fingers crossed that you find a ticket buyer.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm grateful for my friend/former boss, who will be bringing me to the hospital and staying with me until I'm no longer "out of it" and bringing me home when I'm discharged.

I've had a very odd relationship with this friend over time. We worked together for more than 20 years--not always closely, but then she became my boss at the time when my drinking was at its peak and when I was ending things with my last ex. She was pretty much an awful boss, though I had always liked her and gotten along with her OK. I know I was not at the top of my game at that point, but her management style (which others complained about, too) was to micromanage and treat certain workers like children (she actually told me once she had to do that with certain professionals in our unit). She was/is very smart and we actually had a lot in common, but could NOT seem to work together well--I have to own some of it because I think the way my life was going impacted her, but I grew hugely resentful of her and I think it was mutual. When I was eventually transferred to another unit, I suspect she's the one who asked for it to happen. I HATED leaving that unit but was relieved not to deal with the constant tension with her.

After I left the unit, she was transferred to another unit to run, in which she soon engendered the same kind of tension among the folks in that unit.

I always felt bad about that whole experience, because I thought we really SHOULD have been friends. I eventually concluded that some people simply are NOT good bosses (I don't think I'd be a great one, personally), and that there were probably things about me that challenged her ability to run the unit as she envisioned. I never hated her, but I felt sad about how things turned out. She IS the one who called me in to warn me someone had noticed I smelled like booze one day and said she didn't want me to get into trouble and if I DID need help, to please get it. I did--not immediately, and I wasn't truthful with her at the time, but it is one of the things that ultimately contributed to my sobriety.

Anyway, once we both retired, things gradually mended between us. I used her as a reference when I applied for this job and I learned she had GLOWING things to say about me (she always did admit I was good at my work and smart, even if I didn't always act that way). In turn, I polished up her resume for her when she retired and I sent her a couple of job leads. We have a couple of other friends in common and we wound up going to lunch a few times, and we've gradually built a real, actual friendship (though I don't think I'd ever sign up to work under her again, lol).

When I was talking about getting myself to my colonoscopy a year or so ago (after the fact) she had told me if I ever needed someone for something like that to call her. So I did, and I'm so happy I did.

I don't have a lot of close friends. I'm more one of those people who has a few casual ones and only a couple with whom I share most intimate details of my life (and only one or two with whom I've shared about my recovery from alcoholism).

Anyway, I'm very, very grateful for the way this has all turned out. We still do have a lot in common, and now we can enjoy and appreciate it without the work crap getting in the way.

It kind of reminds me of my relationship with my first husband. Great guy, didn't want to be married to him. Once we got that behind us, we are back to being great friends. My relationship with this woman is similar--great person, didn't wanna work for her. Once we got that behind us...
Old 07-03-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I love this story, Lexie, and I'm glad you have someone in your corner to make sure you get to and from surgery, and that everything goes smoothly. I completely understand about the "great person but not a great manager" thing. That is absolutely my old boss. It took a bit to really appreciate how much he struggles as a manager, but I have a tremendous amount of personal affection for him because of the support he and his wife showed my children and me when we were extracting ourselves from AXH. Terrible boss, great human being.

((HUGS))
Old 07-05-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Such a great story Lexie, and so glad you have her!

Yep, my boss (the owner of our company) is also in the great person, terrible leader category! Love her to death, but wish she worked somewhere else LOL!!

Ooooooo - candied walnuts are my favorite on salads. Do you candy them yourself? I should look into that - bet I'd save a fortune, lol.
YES, and they are so easy! PLus, i can make the candy part a thin glaze rather than the chunky candy coating like on the ones at the store (that are more sugar than nut.)

They take 5 minutes and are just butter, sugar and nuts. 5 minute Candied Walnuts - Natasha's Kitchen

And yeah - black seed oil, I NEED this in my life, if only for the 3 day a month pimple break out alone!!!

Hope you all had a great 4th!
Old 07-11-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

((((Hugs)))) Lexie.

Grateful for my dad's calming influence. I had a small leak above my kitchen (from the upstairs bath) that I started working on at the beginning of June with my home warranty people. It turned into a HUGE leak right before leaving (i.e would have flooded my garage if it didn't have a floor drain). I had a major freak-out; the only company my home warranty would authorize to make the repair couldn't come back out until a week after I left - and hadn't called me when the part they'd ordered to make the repair came in. After expressing my extreme displeasure in finding out that they'd had the part for a while, I called my dad and he told me how to shut off the water to the condo, told me to get Sasuke (our cat) to the boarders and leave for the airport on time; he'd come into town to make sure it was all good a few times while I was out.

So thanks to Dad calmly explaining how to keep it from getting worse, I was able to make it to my niece's wedding in Spokane and I'm so glad I did. She's the daughter of my best friend ("C") from high school. C and I may not talk much any more, but her girls (twins) call my mom 'Grandma' and my siblings and I are still "Auntie" and "Uncle". The wedding was just gorgeous, just like my niece. I met her new husband for the first time, and while I hate to admit that I even kind of agree with C, I'm not sure I like him. However, it's only based on meeting him while he's in the middle of several fairly stressful events (wedding and buying a home) and so I'll acknowledge that and keep quiet.

It was a beautiful wedding for a beautiful bride. (and O.M.G., I'm old enough to have a niece who just got married! ) My vacation was lovely and a much needed respite from the standard day-to-day grown-up stuff.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

My vacation was lovely and a much needed respite from the standard day-to-day grown-up stuff.
Thats awesome TU!

I'm headed out on my girls weekend trip tomorrow at 5 am. Back Sunday, and SO excited for therapy time with my girls, good meals, sunny days, a complete disconnect from cell and internet service in any form, an elevation of 8k feet to clear my head, and a beautiful chunk of river 100 yards out the front door for me to fish. That's about as close to heaven as things get for me <3 Happy 'weekend' my friends!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Girls weekend was a blast, as always. Friend, river, fishing, fat meals, and lake therapy. <3 Happy Monday all!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Glad it was a good time, fb! And now you're all rejuvenated and better than new?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Absolutely Honeypig - sore body, clear mind. It's the best! <3
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I am grateful for the attacks of giggles. It looks like I can find humor in everything. Now that is something new!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
I am grateful for the attacks of giggles. It looks like I can find humor in everything. Now that is something new!
This "little" stuff is the BEST!

I'm so grateful today for my personal army of support - I'm so blessed to have such a well-rounded group of experiences & opinions to draw strength from. Not only have my real-life friends really been there for me during a bit of a crisis lately, but I don't know where I'd be without Wisconsin, honeypig & readerbaby's support via email, text & SR. You all have really BEEN THERE even from so far away & I can't really find the words that show the depth of my appreciation.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I feel like someday, honeypig and I NEED to road trip down to Florida, FireSprite.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Right now I am grateful that my paralyzing fear of the dentist is improving. I lost a filling the other weekend, and have to go in today for an exam and x-rays, and to schedule the replacement of the lost filling (and any other work that pops up on the x-rays). Don't get me wrong...I'm a wreck about having to go. But it's not debilitating the way it used to be. Progress!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wisconsin View Post
I feel like someday, honeypig and I NEED to road trip down to Florida, FireSprite.

Yep!!! But I'm not opposed to exploring that area of the country either - you guys are already on my bucket list, lol!
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Yep!!! But I'm not opposed to exploring that area of the country either - you guys are already on my bucket list, lol!
And NJ really isn't THAT far out of the way...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I'm thankful for a sunny, not-so-humid day in Central Ohio. And I'm grateful that everything that went wrong last week either I was able to fix, or they resolved themselves. It seemed that all the SH!T hit the fan at once. But, it's done and gone, and we're moving on. My swollen knee cap still hasn't totally resolved itself, but at least I'm not hobbling so much.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Grateful for a month of the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle. I had to use or lose my vacation time, so after next weekend I will have had a month of 3 day work weeks, and 4 day weekends.

It feels really good, and a lot like self care at the moment. I'm using my summer to its full potential - spending time alone and with friends, family, and a new dude. Fishing and riding and hiking and road tripping and camping like a lunatic.

My body is sore and tired for a change, and it's just awesome - a much needed break for my brain! Happy Tuesday, all - I'm off on a road trip with a girlfriend starting Thursday night - to whichever way the wind may take us, and can't wait for that last hurrah of the month of Mandy!